Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Beginner Houseplants: how to trim the branches of my umbrella tree?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 2, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mcurnutt0001
ROCKHOLDS, KY

July 13, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8691236

I have an umbrella tree that is about 4 feet 3 inches tall including the pot, it is doing quite well, there are seven new branches growing now since i repotted it. My only question is, I have a few branches that I had to remove the leaves from b/c they were turnung brown. Do I leave the bare branches on the tree, or remove the entire branch, and if so how do I remove it? Will new leaves grow in place of the removed one's, b/c I've noticed that new growth comes from the reddish spiky looking areas of the tree, towards the top. Sorry, I don't know alot of "plant terminology" just yet! Any advice will be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8710262

I would remove the entire branch with a sharp pair of scissors. Can you post a picture? Pictures always make it easier for people to give better advice.
Christine

Read this discussion..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/843962/?hl=umbrella+trees

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 7:07 AM

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8715179

I'm not being curmudgeonly when I say this, but if you have leaves turning brown and bare branches, your plant isn't doing well - it's in trouble. You might wish to take a holistic look at the cultural preferences of the plant and compare to what you're providing to see where there is room for improvement. If you would like, I can help you in that regard. I keep a number of scheffs in good vitality while regularly manipulating their growth habits to suit my vision for their futures as bonsai.

I wouldn't remove branches now unless the branches are either dead or you know they don't/won't fit how you've conceptualized the plant's future shape/form.

Al

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America