Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trash to Treasure: Something different.

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 58, Views: 1,297
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8692045

Hi everyone over here in T2T!

I'm working on a new Saturday article feature that I'm calling The Frugal Gardener. I'll probably run an installment once a month and feature a project that is cheap and attractive. I'd like your input and ideas.

The projects need to be fairly simple, attractive to a wide range of gardeners and made with materials that aren't hard to find (or substitute)

I'm especially looking for interesting containers, water features and garden art. I'll also feature things like taking cuttings and preserving excess harvest, so anything along those lines is welcome too.

You can post ideas here...and if there is a thread where it is discussed, add that link so I can go take a look. I probably can't use all of your ideas, but I'll pick out some of the best ones to feature.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8694073

I'm going to look forward to your articles. I love T2T.
Faye

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8694123

I just finished up the first project yesterday, but it will be several weeks before I'll run it...I'll give folks a heads-up. Terry and I have tossed around some neat ideas and we have things like lanterns, plant markers, wreaths and edibles on the list.

I'd like some ideas for indoor gardening, holiday crafts and garden gifts.

Just post here if you have any ideas!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8697973

Hmm. I like this!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8698337

Melody, from other threads, Wuvie & Gourd are full of talent and ideas! lol just saying...& they are good instructors too.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8807430

I decided i wanted a different kind of Christmas tree this year,(having always gone the traditional route.)
Michaels had tiny birdhouses for sale last month and i bought alot of them and little birds. I will paint the birdhouses light green and gold.and attach a small bird to the entrance of each house.I also found some light green glass balls. I would like an unusual garden something to use as ropes to go around the tree. Does anyone have any ideas? Have also thought of small garden chimes to put on tree.
TIA
Vickie
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8807540

How about garden hose or drip line?
J2222
Southern California, CA

September 14, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8808282

cando: you might receive more responses if you post your own link on this Christmas project. Your ideas & frogy's sound interesting. You could use rope as a garland and spray with glue and adhere dried flowers or birdseed?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8809044

Thanks J2222, i like the rope (thin rope) with flowers and birdseed.Kinda scatter the birdseed like snow.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8828909

Is this still going to be a feature?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8828913

Yes indeed! We've already had 2 installments:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3344/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3385/

I'll run another one in the next couple of weeks!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8828957

Sheesh ... I even posted a reply to the one about making candle holders out of Mason jars. Where is my brain??? Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. :-D)))

Luv chairs! Here is my chair ... going over to post it on the article thread also.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8828962

What about glass garden totems? Some people make shorter versions to use as table centerpieces. Nice for the holidays to hold sweets, candies ... even just some colored Christmas ornaments for decoration.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8828972

Ohhh...I like that!

I'll start digging through yard sales and thrift stores for the pieces to do this one! Hopefully, I'll get them together before next month!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8829029

Pottery dishes and components will also work but are sensitive to heat and cold if placed outside. I don't mind some minor cracks, but some people do.

Back with a picture when I can locate it.

They make great plant stands too. :)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8829050

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8829061

You can see it more from the side perspective in this (out of focus) shot. Also, another one being used as a plant stand next to the chaise.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8829112

Cool!

I just had to run into town and stopped at the thrift store...got everything for the glass one but the largest glass plate for the base. I'll scout around this weekend and see if I can scrounge one up. This would make a nice holiday project since the plates can hold small ornaments and garland around the rims...My other niece will be home from college next month for fall break. Maybe I can get her to put this together for me.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8829166

Looking forward to seeing yours!

I use E-6000 glue and also sometimes seal the joints with clear waterproof silicone sealant/bathroom caulk if I'm using the piece outdoors. Water can penetrate the joints if the totem is outside uncovered in a lot of rain.

This discussion has talked me into moving my clear totem to the front steps and putting colored ornaments in it come December. Maybe even adding a big red bow around the glass ball on top. ♥♥♥

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8829200

Heh, heh...wait till you see what I've got for the top of mine!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8829240

Waiting impatiently ... ^_^

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8829247

;o)
J2222
Southern California, CA

September 29, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8829612

Melody: In what discussion group are your articles? I cannot find your articles except for the links you provided here.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8829638

The articles have their own library once they are published: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/

We are actually in discussions with the main office to make this area more visible to our members and search-friendly. There are over 2,000 articles now and we feel that folks are missing out by not finding them easily. Right now, you click the 'Guides and Information' tab and you'll see 'Articles' in the choices with PlantFiles and Botanary. We'd like a more visible landing page so folks can utilize the information better.

We publish 2 articles each day on the DG Homepage and they are compiled along with some other things into the Newsletter. Those who want to receive the by email have it delivered each Monday. You can enable the Newsletter option by clicking the My Info tab, selecting the Manage your Preferences option and then selecting Newsletter from the options at the side of the page.

Here's link to this week's newsletter: http://davesgarden.com/weekly.php?news=2011-09-26

You can also click on my username and on my profile page there's links to all of my articles. I was on the Writer's Team before I came on board as an Admin, so there's quite a few.

I'll probably roll out another Frugal Gardener next Saturday. This week is filled, but it's time for another shortly.
J2222
Southern California, CA

September 29, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8829933

Melody: Thanks for the information!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8830208

You're quite welcome!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8870797

Still waiting impatiently. LOL. ^_^

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8870808

I know...we had a few things that pushed this back a couple of weeks...but by doing so, I came across some fantastic creations while we were on vacation in the Ozarks...I'll add those to the article too. (not this Sat...there's something else scheduled...but the next one)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8870818

^_^

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8877616

Waiting to see your glass totem!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8877670

Melody, I can't wait to see the Arkansas creations. I was there with you and don't remember a thing about what you saw to copy. You might have told me and I just forgot or maybe I was too engrossed with all of the other fun things we were doing. I did get some good photos though. I will just wait and give them to you when you come next month if you bring a flash drive or your laptop if that is ok with you. You might even want the video that you took for me with my camera. If so, you can get that too. I haven't even looked at it yet myself. Thanks for doing that, by the way.

Here is a photo of your dog and my granddog Carly "protecting" your possessions.

Love you.

Thumbnail by Elena

Ldestructo
Morganza, LA

March 24, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9055614

I found the sides to an old metal gazebo (like the ones at lowes) in a dump. I took 2 of the side pieces and stuck them in the ground on each side of my rose bush, lashing the tops together to form an A frame trellis.It worked really well. There were 8 pieces total so I had enough to make lean to trellises for jasmine and other things also.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
1:50 AM

Post #9055966

Very nice. It's difficult to find good metal trellises for a decent price. I'm making some along the lines of yours out of the frames of old storm doors that were replaced. As soon as I get the glass out, I'll actually be able to move them. :)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9056133

I have two of solid glass with no metal work in them other than the frames. I am thinking of using them as tables somehow, especially for my yard sales. I am going to put them on saw horses and cover with like colored sheets. Hubby keeps wanting to junk them and I say, "NO WAY"!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9056261

How about this ?
We did these people new cabinets. This was in the old pantry. It was built in. I took it apart carefully & rebuilt it as a free standing unit. It is 9 foot 3 inches high & nearly 6 feet wide. I used the old wainscot from our old porch ceiling to make the back & end that were the wall before.
It is in our antique shop now. Tag says $1000.00.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9056332

Very nice. Love the color. :-)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9056375

Bernie, that is absolutely fabulous! You did a great job. (Naturally... cause you always do.) Let us know if it sells for that price. I hope it does cause it is worth every penny.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9056542

That is the same color as when I took it out.
If it don't sell it makes a very good display item. We can always use the shelves.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9056611

NICE!
teko
Brillion, WI

May 7, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9114659

kdm1000 had some totems posted so of course I had to dig down in the basement and make a bird bath. And the next day I got ripped off at GW for more glass. I'd recently sent some boxes there and dollar to donuts I bought back what I sent! Anyway, just waiting for my daughter (the creative one) to show up to help with another. Just love these things!

That green cabinet is beyond words. I love it!

Thumbnail by teko

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9114732

The cabinet sold for $700 two weeks ago.
Might have to look for something else to re-purpose.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9115884

WOOHOO!!!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9116347

Fantastic! Good job!!!!!
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 18, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9278583

Hi everyone! This is the first time I'm visiting this thread and have seen a lot of comments about these 'glass' totems. On Sunday, the 16th, I had gone with a friend from my Redlands Camera Club to this area called Oak Glen. We had gone up there to this area for a day of photo work. :)

Anyway, I saw this glass structure located in the front of the house and took a picture of it. When I first saw it, I thought it may have been some kind of water fountain ~ a delicate one at that. Now, that I'm on this thread, I'm seeing pictures that look similar to what I saw. The one that I took a photo of is all clear glass, no other color. I'll post a photo to show you what I saw. This is the original Jpeg photo, so no editing has been done to it. It's also the brighter of the 2 photos that I took of this thing. I'm curious to see what y'all think of this glass 'totem.'

Thumbnail by Fleur_2011

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9278619

Very pretty!!!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 18, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9278677

I thnk it is very pretty and delicate looking. With the snow behind, it almost looks like ice.

I think it would be a lovely water fountain. Was there a catch basin at the bottom of the green thing holding it? Perhaps it is but was turned off to keep it from freezing and breaking.

I do have a question I hope someone can answer for me. Please take no offense, I'm new here and I really do want to know. Maybe it is my Native American heritage, but I don't understand. Why are these glass sculptures of glued together items called totems? Real totems are an animal (sometimes a plant) that is a family's (or clan's) emblem signifying their ancestry. It can be a painted or a carved version of that animal, but it is an honored emblem. In a funny sort of way, it seems to me that calling it a totem is saying "this stack of junk (or beautifully crafted sculpture)" is a symbol of my family and should be revered as such. Now it's kind of cool that you want to be known for your creativity which can be a heritage thing I guess, but if someone saw only the trash part...not so much. So I am trying to be funny but I am serious about wanting to know what I am missing. Please help. ^_^

Oh and Fleur - I'm so jealous of the day out for a photo shoot. I love photography too. I haven't been out as much as I used to because of several family member's health needs. I miss it and hope to get back to it soon. I'm a Nikon nut all the way and just got an email from B&H about the new D600.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+d600&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta

I'm drooling...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9282660

Lovetopaint, you pose an EXCELLENT question to which I have no answer! Perhaps it is called a totem because to those of us ignorant of the history and purpose of a REAL totem, we see a "vertica stack" that reminds us of totems. I'm hoping someone can answer your question, you have me curious too!

I'm certainly not offended by your question.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 21, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9282720

I have no answer either, but just went along with the group calling them totems. I know a little about a real totem, going to read up some more on them, maybe someone can come up with a better name. I made one but I just called her my glass lady.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9282803

They are also called garden stacks. I think the totem name just evolved from a similaity to real totem poles. Don't know for sure.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9282804

http://peggyvanetten.com/

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 22, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9282852

Psych, Your answer is what seems the most likely to me. Whoever started it saw the stack of "stuff" which reminded them of a totem pole and never knew the meaning of the totems, much less a totem pole. Actually a totem pole (most often found in the Pacific Northwest tribal areas) are a group of totems. There can be a "house" totem pole, which can tell the heritage or important occasions in the life of those within that house. The larger ones for the tribe's community usually denote the heritages of those within that community. They sometimes denote important events for the tribe too. Usually there are multiple totem poles for these purposes. It depends on the tribe.

Samigal, I take no offense either and I certainly don't want to cause a stink with anyone about what they call them. I was just curious why "trash" was given such a revered stance to be called a totem, regardless of how pretty they can be. LOL

C'ville - I like garden stacks better myself but that's just me. Y'all call them anything you want - apparently from your link that is what they are called elsewhere too. It's just funny/odd.

That's okay, there are many things non-Native Americans call things, say and do that have other meanings and they haven't a clue. It's entertaining for the most part.

Have a blessed weeekend all,
Debbie

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9282857

Yes. that's true of most cultural differences. :)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9283142

I went to the link and buzzed thru the pictures and THEN realized the sale /price info was contained as well. Those are very different from most I have seen, many reminded me of Alice in Wonderland the colors were so bright etc. Fun.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9283659

Those are commanding some hefty prices and it appears she has sold a lot of them. :)
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 23, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9283801

Yes they are!

I see some of them are made from depression glass and I recognize a couple other collectable pieces, too. So, I think she makes them with these items to entice those collectors. Because of the materials used, it would make it more expensive to make than yard sale/Goodwill "treasures", unless she is really lucky. Many of them show great assemblywork, but there are a few that do lean (even if you optically correct for the crooked photography), and a few have a crooked piece in it.

They are too rich for my wallet, but hey, if she can sell them for that much, why not? More power to her. Then again she's in the artsy part of Washington state, and they get a lot of "money" people up from California. I doubt she'd see that much money on the east coast. I know she wouldn't in the south because those of us from the south, will figure out how to make something we like before we spend that kind of money. LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9283887

I had to go back and see where she was from when Lovetopaint mentioned the "artsy" part of Washington.

I'm with you, they're cute but I would never pay that!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9388450

Old surfboards are good things! When my neighbor John was putting one out next door for trash, I happened to be right there at time and before it even hit the trash heep it was home! "John, are you throwing THAT away?!"

It only took one day to paint it with leftover housepaints in the colors of my house.

A surfboard to giant leave can happen in a day! Thank you...

David

You've already seen that earlier post I've recently sent regarding roof turbines on t2t maybe? It was a fun day project as well.

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9388488

Love that new leaf! Nice job!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9388763

You and "Jack and the bean stalk" ought to get together!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America