Something different.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone over here in T2T!

I'm working on a new Saturday article feature that I'm calling The Frugal Gardener. I'll probably run an installment once a month and feature a project that is cheap and attractive. I'd like your input and ideas.

The projects need to be fairly simple, attractive to a wide range of gardeners and made with materials that aren't hard to find (or substitute)

I'm especially looking for interesting containers, water features and garden art. I'll also feature things like taking cuttings and preserving excess harvest, so anything along those lines is welcome too.

You can post ideas here...and if there is a thread where it is discussed, add that link so I can go take a look. I probably can't use all of your ideas, but I'll pick out some of the best ones to feature.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm going to look forward to your articles. I love T2T.
Faye

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I just finished up the first project yesterday, but it will be several weeks before I'll run it...I'll give folks a heads-up. Terry and I have tossed around some neat ideas and we have things like lanterns, plant markers, wreaths and edibles on the list.

I'd like some ideas for indoor gardening, holiday crafts and garden gifts.

Just post here if you have any ideas!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hmm. I like this!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Melody, from other threads, Wuvie & Gourd are full of talent and ideas! lol just saying...& they are good instructors too.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I decided i wanted a different kind of Christmas tree this year,(having always gone the traditional route.)
Michaels had tiny birdhouses for sale last month and i bought alot of them and little birds. I will paint the birdhouses light green and gold.and attach a small bird to the entrance of each house.I also found some light green glass balls. I would like an unusual garden something to use as ropes to go around the tree. Does anyone have any ideas? Have also thought of small garden chimes to put on tree.
TIA
Vickie

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

How about garden hose or drip line?

Southern California, CA

cando: you might receive more responses if you post your own link on this Christmas project. Your ideas & frogy's sound interesting. You could use rope as a garland and spray with glue and adhere dried flowers or birdseed?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks J2222, i like the rope (thin rope) with flowers and birdseed.Kinda scatter the birdseed like snow.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Is this still going to be a feature?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes indeed! We've already had 2 installments:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3344/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3385/

I'll run another one in the next couple of weeks!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Sheesh ... I even posted a reply to the one about making candle holders out of Mason jars. Where is my brain??? Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. :-D)))

Luv chairs! Here is my chair ... going over to post it on the article thread also.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

What about glass garden totems? Some people make shorter versions to use as table centerpieces. Nice for the holidays to hold sweets, candies ... even just some colored Christmas ornaments for decoration.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Ohhh...I like that!

I'll start digging through yard sales and thrift stores for the pieces to do this one! Hopefully, I'll get them together before next month!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Pottery dishes and components will also work but are sensitive to heat and cold if placed outside. I don't mind some minor cracks, but some people do.

Back with a picture when I can locate it.

They make great plant stands too. :)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

You can see it more from the side perspective in this (out of focus) shot. Also, another one being used as a plant stand next to the chaise.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Cool!

I just had to run into town and stopped at the thrift store...got everything for the glass one but the largest glass plate for the base. I'll scout around this weekend and see if I can scrounge one up. This would make a nice holiday project since the plates can hold small ornaments and garland around the rims....My other niece will be home from college next month for fall break. Maybe I can get her to put this together for me.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Looking forward to seeing yours!

I use E-6000 glue and also sometimes seal the joints with clear waterproof silicone sealant/bathroom caulk if I'm using the piece outdoors. Water can penetrate the joints if the totem is outside uncovered in a lot of rain.

This discussion has talked me into moving my clear totem to the front steps and putting colored ornaments in it come December. Maybe even adding a big red bow around the glass ball on top. ♥♥♥

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Heh, heh...wait till you see what I've got for the top of mine!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Waiting impatiently ... ^_^

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

;o)

Southern California, CA

Melody: In what discussion group are your articles? I cannot find your articles except for the links you provided here.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The articles have their own library once they are published: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/

We are actually in discussions with the main office to make this area more visible to our members and search-friendly. There are over 2,000 articles now and we feel that folks are missing out by not finding them easily. Right now, you click the 'Guides and Information' tab and you'll see 'Articles' in the choices with PlantFiles and Botanary. We'd like a more visible landing page so folks can utilize the information better.

We publish 2 articles each day on the DG Homepage and they are compiled along with some other things into the Newsletter. Those who want to receive the by email have it delivered each Monday. You can enable the Newsletter option by clicking the My Info tab, selecting the Manage your Preferences option and then selecting Newsletter from the options at the side of the page.

Here's link to this week's newsletter: http://davesgarden.com/weekly.php?news=2011-09-26

You can also click on my username and on my profile page there's links to all of my articles. I was on the Writer's Team before I came on board as an Admin, so there's quite a few.

I'll probably roll out another Frugal Gardener next Saturday. This week is filled, but it's time for another shortly.

Southern California, CA

Melody: Thanks for the information!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You're quite welcome!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Still waiting impatiently. LOL. ^_^

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I know....we had a few things that pushed this back a couple of weeks...but by doing so, I came across some fantastic creations while we were on vacation in the Ozarks...I'll add those to the article too. (not this Sat...there's something else scheduled...but the next one)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

^_^

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Waiting to see your glass totem!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Melody, I can't wait to see the Arkansas creations. I was there with you and don't remember a thing about what you saw to copy. You might have told me and I just forgot or maybe I was too engrossed with all of the other fun things we were doing. I did get some good photos though. I will just wait and give them to you when you come next month if you bring a flash drive or your laptop if that is ok with you. You might even want the video that you took for me with my camera. If so, you can get that too. I haven't even looked at it yet myself. Thanks for doing that, by the way.

Here is a photo of your dog and my granddog Carly "protecting" your possessions.

Love you.

Thumbnail by Elena
Morganza, LA

I found the sides to an old metal gazebo (like the ones at lowes) in a dump. I took 2 of the side pieces and stuck them in the ground on each side of my rose bush, lashing the tops together to form an A frame trellis.It worked really well. There were 8 pieces total so I had enough to make lean to trellises for jasmine and other things also.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Very nice. It's difficult to find good metal trellises for a decent price. I'm making some along the lines of yours out of the frames of old storm doors that were replaced. As soon as I get the glass out, I'll actually be able to move them. :)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I have two of solid glass with no metal work in them other than the frames. I am thinking of using them as tables somehow, especially for my yard sales. I am going to put them on saw horses and cover with like colored sheets. Hubby keeps wanting to junk them and I say, "NO WAY"!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

How about this ?
We did these people new cabinets. This was in the old pantry. It was built in. I took it apart carefully & rebuilt it as a free standing unit. It is 9 foot 3 inches high & nearly 6 feet wide. I used the old wainscot from our old porch ceiling to make the back & end that were the wall before.
It is in our antique shop now. Tag says $1000.00.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Very nice. Love the color. :-)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Bernie, that is absolutely fabulous! You did a great job. (Naturally.... cause you always do.) Let us know if it sells for that price. I hope it does cause it is worth every penny.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That is the same color as when I took it out.
If it don't sell it makes a very good display item. We can always use the shelves.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

NICE!

Brillion, WI

kdm1000 had some totems posted so of course I had to dig down in the basement and make a bird bath. And the next day I got ripped off at GW for more glass. I'd recently sent some boxes there and dollar to donuts I bought back what I sent! Anyway, just waiting for my daughter (the creative one) to show up to help with another. Just love these things!

That green cabinet is beyond words. I love it!

Thumbnail by teko

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.