Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Leaf problem

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, maybe a beginner question. I have noticed this too often on house plants and I believe mostly with Philodrendrons. The new leaf has trouble lifting itself from the stem and/or uncurling. Sometimes they just never make it to full size. Ugly. What causes this? Normal behaviour, lack of a mineral, bacteria, light issues, water issues??

Irving, TX

I have a philo that has also done this. Can't wait to hear the answer. I think it maybe a lack of moisture.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to - if you are intending to say that the leaf is not emerging completely from the petiole sheath and either has to have human manual help, or becomes bent the more it tries to emerge, then I understand the phenomenon. If it is something else, I need to see a pic. Usually problems in the emergence of a rolled aroid leaf from the petiole sheath is related to low humidity conditions, as it is moisture that helps to lubricate the inside of the petiole sheath. I've had to help many leaves come out due to incomplete or imperfect emergence due to this very situation.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, low humidity sounds right. Would spraying it help?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Not the world's best pix, but a current example on one of my Pink Princess Philo. plants.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

The picture says it all. That is exactly what I thought it was. Spraying helps but mostly to assist in manual extraction. Raising the humidity around the plant helps for the future leaves.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Great info. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.