Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Aroids: Leaf problem

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 6, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8692291

OK, maybe a beginner question. I have noticed this too often on house plants and I believe mostly with Philodrendrons. The new leaf has trouble lifting itself from the stem and/or uncurling. Sometimes they just never make it to full size. Ugly. What causes this? Normal behaviour, lack of a mineral, bacteria, light issues, water issues??
begoniadude
Irving, TX

July 15, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8694057

I have a philo that has also done this. Can't wait to hear the answer. I think it maybe a lack of moisture.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8694413

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to - if you are intending to say that the leaf is not emerging completely from the petiole sheath and either has to have human manual help, or becomes bent the more it tries to emerge, then I understand the phenomenon. If it is something else, I need to see a pic. Usually problems in the emergence of a rolled aroid leaf from the petiole sheath is related to low humidity conditions, as it is moisture that helps to lubricate the inside of the petiole sheath. I've had to help many leaves come out due to incomplete or imperfect emergence due to this very situation.

LariAnn
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8695498

OK, low humidity sounds right. Would spraying it help?
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8695535

Not the world's best pix, but a current example on one of my Pink Princess Philo. plants.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 16, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8695807

The picture says it all. That is exactly what I thought it was. Spraying helps but mostly to assist in manual extraction. Raising the humidity around the plant helps for the future leaves.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8695912

Great info. Thanks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America