Photo by Melody

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Any interest in a PNW Roundup get together in late August?

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 15, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2011
12:50 AM

Post #8693367

We missed seeing so many of you when Jan was in town. Is there any interest in having a PNW Roundup at our house in late August? Let me know so we can get the ball rolling.
Hope to see everyone again.

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips
Click the image for an enlarged view.

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8694149

I want in on this!
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8695240

Whatever that date was that I said over on the other thread! I'm in. I'll spend the night Friday night, Lynn. I'm assuming the gathering will be Saturday? Say an early afternoon pot luck?
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8695895

You said Aug 28, which is a Sunday. Did you mean Aug 27, Sat? That would be my preference.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8695899

I don't know for sure. I missed seeing Jan. We're doing our vacation sometime in August. We keep putting it off due to the weather.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8695911

We simply MUST see you Pixydish. It just isn't the same without your cheery self. The visit with Jan was very nice. She and her hubby are fun to be around.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8695968

SUmmer, YOU HAVE to come to the Roundup, no excuses!!! Plan to come Friday night and bring your dog, and spend the night. Gwen will be here Friday night, as well. You are welcome to stay Sat night either/or if that works out better for you. This offer is for everyone. Plus my yard springs magically to life at dusk when all of my solar lights pop on, one by one. (Yes, sadly, I am addicted to plants and solar lights.)

I am planning on an early Saturday afternoon potluck with wine, followed by a plant and seed exchange with wine, and the resting our weary feet with a glass of wine. Hey, how do you do a wine tasting thing? Does everyone bring a bottle of wine? (Cheap, of course).

Here is a picture of one of Joey's latest projects for me. He made me 2 gongs, but they aren't finished yet. They still need their dongs. Can't be without a good sounding dong!

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8696001

Lynn, I am not going to let that last sentence scare me away.

Yes, the roundup is now inked onto my calendar. I especially want to see the nighttime extravaganza.

Wow, something to look forward to! And it's not even that far away.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8696027

I have a weird sense of humor. Don't let that scare you away!!!!! I am so glad you can make it this time.

For all of you coming, we are a dog friendly household. Plus, we have a dog kennel, if that is what you prefer.
Bring a swimsuit, if you want to sit in the hot tub or infrared sauna.
We have plenty of accommodations for anyone wishing to spend the night.
Bring your hubby/friends along. The more the merrier.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, we have a covered patio, my cute little teahouse that Joey made for me, and a skylight over the hot tub.

Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8698485

There are several ways you can do a wine tasting. One, everyone can bring a bottle of wine that pairs with whatever food they're bringing. Or, people can just bring a bottle of wine and we can do tastings sans food.

What do you mean cheap wine????? No cheap wine. Decent wine. Doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg but not grocery store stuff. Go into your local wine shop, tell them what we're doing (after we decide if it's paired with food or not), tell them how much you want to spend, and get their suggestion.

I did a wine tasting with 2 other couples and the couple/owners of the local wine shop a few years ago. We donated it to a school auction. Each of the 'hosts' brought 2 appetizers and 2 wines that went with them. We served the wines/food one by one and the wine shop owners talked about each one. (We had bought the wines from them.) It was really fun. One of the pairings turned out to be outstanding, a reisling paired with brushetta topped with pear, lavender honey, and some kind of cheese, I forget exactly which one.

We could do something like that. OR we could bring wines to go with our potluck offerings and eat/drink course by course. OR we could just taste wines by themselves, nibbling on food as we see fit as as not to get intoxicated.

Preferences?
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8698501

Yes.

Intoxicated.

Because of the &^%) weather.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8698725

My neighbor runs the wine dept at a local Top Foods. She was telling me about an Asian Pear wine that is good. I will get that one and another pear wine that she recommended. I think she said it was about $25 for the 2 bottles. I was going to buy them for Jan's get together, but I never got around to it.
You tell us what to do, Gwen. Thanks for taking charge of this.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8703648

I would love to come share good company, plants and seeds, but I have just begun a Master's program (on-line) which is taking huge amounts of time. It is supposed to take about 3 hours a day, but I've been buried in reading and video lectures for much longer than that per day so far. Yikes! I am sooooo glad I decided to start this in the Summer. I will miss seeing all of you. :( I'll try to visit the forum now and then while I'm in this academic marathon. So far so good.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8708809

My best friend Lisa & her husband might stop by on Saturday afternoon if that's OK. She wants to join DG but is a little shy about it because she's just a beginner gardener. She has plants to share, though, that I will be bringing because they will be driving over at the end of the Hood-to-Coast thing.
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8709991

I love these roundups! but it turns out we are unable to attend that day :(
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8710692

Great, Summerkid. I have a couple of friends who might come over also. The more the merrier. We are a fun group and always have a good time at our get togethers.

We will definitely do a wine tasting, so bring a bottle of your fav (unless you don't indulge ) and something for the potluck. Let's plan on starting around 11-12. That should give us plenty of time to explore my gardens with a mimosa, exchange plants, eat and socialize.

Please, new members, we want to meet you. Don't be shy!!!!

Azorina, if you get a change of plans, we would love to have you and Carl come over. You have to see that the Gunnera you gave me is still alive!!!!!

Springcolor, the begonias are filling out fast. I can't wait for you to see them. They are beautiful.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America