Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cameras and Photography: Nikon D40 question-time exposure setting

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 12, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8693754

Ok, my 50D Canon is in the cameraspital...I borrowed my DIL's Nikon D40...can anyone tell me in 25 words or less how to get it set for time exposure? All she has with it is the quick start guide that doesn't tell me much of anything other than how to turn it on and snap the shutter...LOL I went to the digital tutor site and that didn't tell me how to set up for a time exposure either. Waaaaahhhhhhh...:>)

Ok, it will probably take more than 25 words, I concede on that.
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

July 15, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8694085

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSWw2wl4_ok&feature=view_all&list=PL451C54267A1AA0F7&index=0
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

July 15, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8694106

Fireworks are best done in bulb mode. IMHO. Set your aperture between f8- f16 and focus to infinity. Use a tripod and if you have one or can get one, use a remote shutter release cable. Once the fire works start compose the picture to rightly frame the fireworks. With the remote shutter release it will be pretty much like taking a hearing test, just pressing the button and holding it for a couple seconds. Longer if you want to have multiple displays in the picture.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8694193

When you say time exposure are you talking about shutter priority or as niceguy said "Bulb"?

For shutter priority turn the mode dial to "S" and for Bulb turn the mode dial to "M" and turn the command dial to "Bulb".

This link may help:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/page6.asp

grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 15, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8694346

As far as I know the 40D does not acept any remote other than the electronic one and for that you need to be in front of the camera
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8695091

Ok, yes, I do mean bulb. And there is no remote. With my Canon I always just clicked the shutter with my index finger, held it open a bit and then took the finger off. I don't have a problem with doing it manually. Too cheap for a remote for my Canon (if I could even get one for it) and I have a tripod.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2011
3:05 AM

Post #8695297

On the Canon (and Nikon) if you don't have a remote then you can set it on timer delay so that the vibrations from pusing the shutter should subside before the camera actually fires.

BTW the Canon cable TC-80N3 is quite nice but is a bit pricey. You can set the shutter speed from 1 second to 99 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds for night photography or when you need a really slow shutter, fire continuously from 1 second intervals to 99 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds, and do it from 1 to 99 times or forever, plus have a delay for the first shot (again from 1 second to 99.59.59) and do them all together. Of course it still does bulb and fires the shutter manually when you press the button. Great for action photography (hummingbirds for example) and group shots (either candid like a photo booth (no photographer needed) or you want to be in the picture too).

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 16, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8695346

Well, I guess i will have to call Nikon and ask them how to set it to Bulb...I certainly cannot figure it out with any of the instructions I found on a couple of sites after Googling my problem. Tell you to set shutter speed to...(whatever)...well, I cannot find HOW to set the shutter speed without having a manuel.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8695350

I would think it would be very similar to Canon. Set the mode to "M" and then dial the shutter speed to the slower speeds until you reach Bulb.

Do a search for Bulb on the link I provided earlier.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 16, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8695376

Oh, I did the search and I couldn't figure it out. That was midnight.

Just a minute ago I was fooling around with it, and by some certain fate of the Gods and no knowledge whatsoever how I did it...I DID IT! LOL So, it is set to bulb and I can now take fireworks pix tonight. :>)
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8695576

* for future reference

Nikon D40 manual:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D40_noprint.pdf
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 16, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8697006

Hope I won't need it; got a repair estimate from Canon today and it is within my means. LOL Down side is I can't justify upgrading to a 7D because it wouldn't be cost-effective. Repair estimate is $211.00. If it would have been in the $500 range I'd have seriously considered the upgrade.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8699220

If you want to print the manual for your D40, go to
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14157
and click on the tab that says agree to license validate (requires your camera serial number). That is better, in my opinion, than having to open the computer every time you wan to see something. Also it is the reference manual which is a lot more detailed than the user manual packed with the camera.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America