Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hoyas: Soil/growing medium

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 4, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8694280

I am new to hoyas and trying to sort through various websites is a little overwhelming. I am wondering what people plant their hoyas in and if there is a recommended brand or custom mix of something. Are there are very basic hoya websites for people that are new to hoyas?
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8695461

Here is what I use to pot my hoya:

1 part african violet potting soil
1 part perlite
1 part orchid mix

You can use regular potting soil, but I prefer the AV mix. Hoya like chunky mix. Their habitat is growing mainly on trees. I let my plants dry a little between watering. I have them growing outside under lanai roof, facing east. They get morning sun for about 1 hour a day. We usually get rain every afternoon during the summer months, so I don't water them as much. They love the mist from the rain.
I'm sure others with more experience will chime in with their reccomendations. Happy hoya growing. It can become addicting.
pprice
Ranburne, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9426626

Thanks for infro .I have ordered some and that helped a lot .If u have extras I am starting over where my husband died and I moved back to Al. to be close to family .Porsha pprice256@gmail.com
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9429767

All my hoya are outside on the patio, all year long. I just hose them down every other week. I haven't really looked at them, but did notice that they are sending out long vines. So spring is coming. I'll keep you in mind when and if I have to prune any. Maybe there will be a RR here. That is a great way to get more plants. I've become addicted to African Violets, so spend most of my time working with them. I have to keep an eye on the water in the trays. They are wick-watered so it makes it easier.
pprice
Ranburne, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9430970

Thanks so much for reply's..On one of the Hoyas I ordered .They have a few black spots on them .Should I pick the leaves off ? Thanks again .Porsha

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America