Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles How-to's: Genus in common name field

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles How-to's
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles How-to'sReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

July 16, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8696161

I just received a D mail saying that an entry of mine has been edited and that I should use the genus in the common name field if there is no common name. I have no problem with this but I cannot find these instructions anywhere. Am I missing something?

faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8696213

Probably not. There isn't a comprehensive set of instructions regarding how to fill out the PlantFiles entries. I was the one who sent you that dmail, and included that information because I have seen that most people don't know what to put in the "Common name" field, especially if a plant has no common name.

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

July 16, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8696330

Thanks for the response faeden. I will edit my previous entries when I am at a quicker computer and will follow your instructions for future entries.
Scott
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8696342

You're very welcome. I'm almost finished going through all the PlantFiles entries which don't have anything in the "Common name" field. If you had any others they've probably already been corrected. Thanks for understanding!

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America