Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Miscanthus Giganteus

Wayland, MA

Does anyone have experience growing miscanthus giganteus or any panicums in a boggy area? I need something tall (8 ft. +) to act as a screen. I think it is illegal to plant phragmites in MA even though they would be perfect..... Zone 5 - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes! This plant is the best. My property slants in a way so that the place where the plant is is often soggy. Which it loves!

A foggy day.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Closer.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

As a matter if fact, as you can see mine would like more water, since it gets a bit dry at the bottom. With the plumes, it's 14 feet high. You'll love it!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Wayland, MA

Thank you, Donna. It looks just beautiful! I have a large area on my property that is wetlands and once the skunk cabbage dies off mid-summer, it looks just awful. How long did it take for your stand of miscanthus to grow to that size?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow--that's an impressive grass!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It actually grows very quickly - much more quickly than most miscanthus. I recall that it shot out of the ground much faster than any others I own (about ten different varieties) and I bought it quite small. It was actually a little scary at the time. My guess, about four years. It also spreads sideways.

And thanks Ecrane!

This message was edited Jul 17, 2011 7:39 PM

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

This was mine exactly 3 years ago today. I dug it up from a friend (NOT fun or easy!) and planted it here in my future grass garden.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's one from June 3rd, 2010. They are making huge clumps. I may have to try and split them early next spring.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

As DonnaMack said they will easily reach 14 feet tall with plumes. I always get a lot of comments on it. It would make a great screen. A plus is in the fall it turns a beautiful gold and red color. Quite striking. Good luck.

Doug

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Doug, yours are glorious. I only have one. I love miscanthus - it makes a great screen. I have silberfeder, Blutenwunder, 2 strictus, 8 gracilimus, 5 morning light, 4 goliath (which is small compared to this baby!), 2 adagio, a huron surise and some old silberfeils. I thought it was fast, but three years! Wow!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011 3:27 PM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is mine and they are just two years old in this picture.

I loved them it was hard leaving them when we had to move south.

Jan

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

please don't look at the water hole but this is them coming out of winter.

beautiful color, then just as new blades were coming up I would cut them back. Birds love it during the hash winters to find shelter and feed in them. we use to live in northern ohio.

Jan

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I thought I remembered quick growth. The rates are definitely different across the different miscanthus. Strictus is beautiful but very slow to grow. Some of them flop. Not this baby!

Montreal, Canada

mine is 2 years old. We are experiencing a drought here so its strawed out at the bottom ans not too tall....I will give it a second chance for 2012....

Thumbnail by coach1360
Clinton Township, MI(Zone 6a)

What a timely subject!

I have a stand that is on its third year (moved once). I was quite surprised how it EXPLODED this year. I'll post a picture later. I would estimate that it is about 9-10 feet tall right now.

But I have a question about moving. I will be moving in September. Of course I want to take my whole stand with me and divide it up. It is going to be quite cumbersome to move.

Does anyone have any idea if it will harm it if I cut it back to about three or four feet before I move it? I realize I will lose the beautiful fall plumes. I just want to make sure I don't kill it.

Thanks in advance!
Jennifer

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Jennifer,

I did something that was considered quite risky. I got fabulous sales in fall and planted then. But it worked. Grasses are weakest when they have bloomed, because they have used up a lot of energy. But there should be no problem when you move this grass.

Cutting the plumes is fine. Just have the pot or space you want to move it into ready, and water it in immediately and well. Do not fertilize it, and do not let it dry out, and it should be just fine.

This grass is one of the toughest miscanthus. This will work for you!

Donna

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 2:05 PM

Thank you Donna.

I too bought mine on discount in the fall. I asked the nursery if it would be okay to divide it. They quickly tried to discourage me. But I never listen. I promptly went home and hacked my two giant buckets into three pieces each. Not an easy task! But it all turned out fine! Two years later when I moved I brought three of the stands with me and this year they are all grown together and the tallest they've ever been.

Jennifer

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ha! They are worried about their guarantee and possibly reputation so they do not understand that not all gardeners are created equal. They didn't realize that a person who asks if the grass can be divided in the fall is probably pretty sophisticated.

Good for you!

Donna

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Or more likely they just wanted to sell you more instead of you dividing it!

Doug

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Doug, I think you nailed it!

Donna

That thought crossed my mind!

Jennifer

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.