Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Bowl lotus budding now

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 29, Views: 205
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8697503

My first bowl lotus is budding out . Two buds so far, one day nothing, the next day two buds above the water! YIPPEE! I just got this tuber a month ago.Grows very fast. I have it in a shallow 14 " diameter bowl.I got the start off of Ebay. They claim that these can bloom from seeds in two months. This one is supposed to be white with a pink edge.We will see shortly. :-)

Kyle :-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8697508

The buds

Thumbnail by Eclipse

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 17, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8698591

Please post the photo when it blooms.

I've always started my seeds about mid May or June. It has always taken me two years to go from seed to bloom; however, maybe in a more tropical climate they grow faster.
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8700552

Deb,
These are a whole new form of lotus. short lenth tubers between the joints and on and on. They originated in China and some are small enough they can grow them in large tea cups.The down side is that they will have small flowers too.But hey ...gotta luv em!

A nursery in Texas sells about 30 kinds of these.along with about 100 kinds of large lotus.I slobbered all over the keyboard just looking at their catalog online.

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 20, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8704610

Which nursery?
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8706732

Sorry, I thought they were in Texas.They are in Hartford Alabama.

www.tenmilecreeknursery.com

You gonna luv it!
Kyle
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8707447

heres one of the buds today

Thumbnail by Eclipse

Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8707455

compared to my hand

Thumbnail by Eclipse

realsis

July 24, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8712196

beautiful bud! :)

Thumbnail by realsis

Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8714717

Your lotus is growing really well it seems. :-)

I am thinking mine will be open on Tuesday.

darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 26, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8715887

Thank you for the website.

It will be nice to see the bloom.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8715951

Kyle! Good to see you again. You are still such an enabler though, LOL, that lotus site is the best I have seen. I have been growing lotus in bowls for years. They put on such a show and are so easy. Keep the water topped off, fertilize regularly and you are good to go.
alice

Thumbnail by ardesia

Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8716778

Alice, Thats a beautiful pink ! Hope mine is a full flower.How often do you feed yours in bowls? I feed this one once when I planted it...should I feed it again?

Thanks

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8716898

They are pretty heavy feeders. I give each pot a tablet or two once a month depending on how hungry they look. Sometimes the leaves get pale, which is not unusual in this intense heat, so I will give them some fresh water to cool things down and a suplimental feeding. My plants are potted in plastic buckets, about 2 gallons, which are set into the decorative bowls. I started using the Highland Rim tabs this year and have been pleased, I think I am seeing far more flowers.

After looking at that site, I know I am going to be on the lookout for interesting containers all winter. There are so many pretty new ones I want to try now and lotus are so easy.
alice

Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8719820

The flower started opening today.It is gonna be cream with pink tips. I luv it. Another bud shot up out of the soil today too. This one is slightly fragrant.

Alice, I'll feed it more often and see what happens. As leaves get bad I remove them. I got two huge tall glazed blue pots to use for next year. Either lotus or aquatics.

Thumbnail by Eclipse

Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8719829

Another pic

Thumbnail by Eclipse

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8720937

Great job Kyle, they are beautiful!
alice
juliep127
Louisville, KY

July 28, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8721882

Ardesia, What do you feed them? My mom has them in a big planter. Her flower seeded, but can I use those seeds inside the dead flower pod? Thanks any info you all have would be appreciated!! Julie
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 28, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8722014

Lovely bloom!

I think this is a bowl lotus I got from Water's Edge in Lawrence, KS (they don't do mail order). I'm not sure of the name since all my bowl lotus are staying in a raised pond right now.

The big lotus that I have in containers are looking very sad and stressed. I think it was 106 or 107 today. I live near Tulsa, OK.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8723961

The heat can reallly do a number on these plants. While our temps have not been as extreme as your, the steady heat does warm the water in the bowl and I believe it contributes to the stress. I often let the water run a bit longer and stir it around a bit when I top off the bowls to lower the water temp throughout.

In the past I used any pond tabs I could find but this year I am using the Highland Rim brand and have been pleased with the number of flowers I am getting.

You can indeed plant those seeds. There are several threads about growing lotus from seeds here on DG. I know you have to sand off a bit of the hard outer shell with a nail file or sandpaper then soak the seed for a few days so the water can penetrate. I'll see if I can't find the info for you.

Here you go, this thread has a lot of good info. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1175312/

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 7:51 PM
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

July 30, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8725354

ardesia - Where are you purchasing the Highland Rim tablets? How are you over wintering your bowl lotus?

I've grown the bowl lotus from seed. It took me about two years to get a bloom. The seed may or may not look like the parent. In the past, I would sand the seed down; however, I found it easier and faster to use the cutting wheel on a drimmel drill to nick the side of the seeds.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8725659

I found them on Amazon, I just went looked through them all until I found the best price. You can just google Highland Rim Water Plant tabs and plenty of options will come up.

My climate is mild and all I have to do is cut off the dead stems and leave the pots in the water. In late January or February I divide the roots and re-plant, it is important to do this before they start growing.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8726850

Your flowers are so beautiful. I don't have any lotus, because I always felt they got so large - very interesting that there are some that will fit in a tea cup.

Kyle - do you know how you will overwinter these gorgeous plants? I would have also have that dilemma as well...
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8728064

Carolyn, I just drain off the water before a hard frost and just keep the soil slightly moist and on the floor in the basement where it is cool but not cold.They go to sleep and then I move them back outside in May.If they are crowded then I'll have to divide them and make some new pots.Just never let them get bone dry.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8728125

Kyle

do you have animals? My cats would be drinking out of the bowl...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8728255

LOL, it does not have to have standing water, mud is fine.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8732013

I don't keep water on the top in winter, just keep the soil moist not really wet.

Ardesia, wow nice lotus is that a dwarf one?

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8732408

Oh, it's beautiful. And I am glad I 'tuned in." I can put my water lilies in the basement in the mud. Hmmm. Should I cover them to keep them wet longer or would that make them mold. Just leave the tops of the tubs open? And mud not standing water?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8732411

Oh. what if they start growing in the basement. My dahlias do that in February, wayyy before I am ready for them.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8732475

That flower is Emerald Daybreak from Texas Water Lilies. It is not a miniature but it is categorized as a smaller plant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America