Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: what is the general consensus on pygmy goats?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 10, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
peetzmom
Conway, NC

July 17, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8698012

I am thinking of trading "down", as in downsizing, and getting a pygmy buck.
A disbudded pygmy buck, with a sweet momma, and hope he takes after her.
Anyone here have any pygmies? I know they used to be real popular, then Nigerians were the thing-- you don't hear so much about pygmies now.
I mainly want to get my dairy-type does bred, hopefully out of season.
I have had some Nigerians, and they seem to be SO tiny.
I know some people are crossing them with dairy goats- that might be a possibility too..
interested in hearing what folks have to say about this.
thanks!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8698098

I'm eager to hear, too. This is on my "they are on my to do" list, but I've been avoiding looking into too closely...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8702860

I love my Pygmies. I have 2 mommas and 4 babies. They are easy to handle and great weed eaters. I am milking one doe. Will be milking the other in 2 weeks. Looking forward to making cheese.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

peetzmom
Conway, NC

July 20, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8703045

that sounds great! I remembered that I knew a lady from a homeschool group YEARS ago- tracked her down by her family's wins !! in several state fairs- so I think I have an email address for her. We shall see.
It's nearly 100 here, every day, humidity that's visible as soon as sun goes down; and from sun up to down, we are serenaded by that crazy billy goat. He now has object of his desire in with him, poor thing- and he is STILL making gargling, howling barking baboon noises.
Goats can sure be different. We have had them, in the past, get their work over so quickly that the next AM, it was all taken care of, everyone was grazing, and that was that. Not this guy.
As part of my goat calls... I talked to one lady, asked her why she was selling her goats, and she said she was currently milking a COW giving 5 !!! gallons of milk daily.
I don't know about her, in this heat- but I would be about ready to give it up.
the 1 cow I did milk, years ago- in this type weather- the milk seemed like it was almost curdled before it got in the house.
same milking/cleaning/sanitation practices- but it simply would not keep long in hot weather.
another reason not to milk in extremely hot weather, if you can help it!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8706338

I milk my one pygmy early in the morning. I don't get but a pint or so right now. We are both learning. LOL I get the milk strained and into the fridge right away and I have not had any problems. There is no way I could use 5 gallons of milk a day. Is she making cheese?
peetzmom
Conway, NC

July 25, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8714814

long delay in reply-- been taking some classes..
nope. that lady with all the milk is SELLING it. Man I would be scared to death to do that.
I have given a LOT away, but I remember years ago in VA there was situation where a lady even sold shares in her goats, and the health dept ( yeah, right!) was shutting her down. She had customers LINED UP, didn't matter- she was treated like she was selling dope.
BTW- it's UNREAL the amount of interest there seems to be going right now in Nigerians. I am currently looking at a buck, simply can't afford a bred doe-
unless I just got one I liked the looks of, and since my room is limited, I would like for someone else to have done the genetic work to get the milk flow up.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8715245

Pygmies are cheap here right now. Meat goats are high. You can get a nice pygmy kid for 20 to 25 dollars. I just sold a buck for 25. Can't be picked up til he is weaned. Think I have the other sold too for the same price. I may keep the doe kids but have not decided yet.
peetzmom
Conway, NC

July 27, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8718808

yeah, to get money for a small goat here, looks like you have to call them "nigerian"
even if it's just your opinion!
I am in fact looking at a Nigerian; talked to the owners and after awhile they did mention that his daughters were "large" ( which is still pretty small, I think)
works great for me!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8725044

I like my pygmies. I have both bucklings sold and a doe kid if I want to let her go. I have started milking the second doe but only to top off the bottle. I start milking her for real on Monday. I think she will be a heavier milker than the first doe.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8726338

I like my pygmy goats also. I have 3 bucks, 3 does and 3 wethers. I'm trying to sell the wethers but no luck so far.
I don't milk them but I do get a lot of manure for my landscape plantings. And they keep the area behind my barn clean. Otherwise it would be an impenetrable jungle.
They're basically just pets. They're beautiful to me.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8726387

They are priceless if you have hillsides to keep clean.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America