Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: Help with my spath

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kelpel
Fredericksburg
United States

July 17, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8698509

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with my Spath. It's probably done well to survive this long in our house (I don't have much of a green thumb, but I'm working on it). Then my 3 year old son used it to demonstrate how herbivores eat plants. : ( He ripped many of the leaves. Is there anything I can do? Cut it back perhaps or something?

Thanks for your help.
Kelly

Thumbnail by kelpel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 18, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8700590

That looks REALLY dry. They do not like to dry out. Water it very well and wait for the leaves to hopefully spring back up. The post another picture.
GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 22, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8709325

I agree, it needs water. I don't think the dinosaur chomps would kill it, he may have even helped if the plant is so dry. My 2 yr old loves to mess with mommys plants and so far they're all still kickin'.

You should probably cut the leaves with brown back as well as the larger ones that have gone too "soft". It will help immensely. Good luck!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 9, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8747467

Stick the plant / pot into a bucket pf water or kitchen sink, to allow the compost to take up as much water as it possibly can (it is hard to get VERY dry compost wet again as the water just runs through the holes at bottom of pot) once the compost has turned colour to a dark brown, it is wet, lift the plant out of the bucket / sink and set id aside to drain, soon as the water stops dripping out the bottom of the pot, sit the pot back on it's saucer, after several hours, the leaves should show signs of recovery, next time you water, at this time mist the leaves with a misting bottle used for your hair etc, once the plant has fully recovered after a few weeks, remove any leaves that show signs of being dead, brown or just neglect.
You can start to give a half strength feed, increase the feed to every second week at full strength, as the plant is an indoor plant, stop feeding around end September and start again spring, you will have to keep an eye on the plant when winter heating is switched on as this dries the leaves also. By spring you might think about changing the compost as the compost the plant is in will be done and no nutrients left in it.
Hope this helps and you have a nice looking plant very soon, good luck. WeeNel.
Lazeedazee74
Elkhart, IN

August 18, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8763138

Did you recently repot that? The pot looks too large for the plant. Sometimes if repotted and put into too large of a container will kill it faster than a "dinosaur" eating it.

Also it looks very dry. Worse than a dino attack? A husband who is trying to help by putting it outside in full sun!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America