Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Latest additions! Hodge podge family!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 38, Views: 206
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8698722

A week ago my Lav/splash cochin "Silva" had 8 eggs under her that were 1 week overdue, none hatched even though the eggs were fertile and had made it up the hatching date. Then our temps went crazy and we had 101 and 102 days, the humidity was so bad that you would get wet just from walking outside. Anyway her babies just didnt live, so sad! So I took a chance and ran out to the barn where I had a broody Maran setting on a clutch of assorted eggs, cochin,Serama and Wyandotte/orpington and a possible silkie or two!
This Maran has been broody for 2 and a half months She was way out in an unprotected nest box and a snake had been stealing her eggs, until I got it last week. Any way I didnt want to take a chance on another snake coming up and killing any chicks that might make it. So I ran with the assortment of eggs that had been under the Maran and put them under "Silva", who is in a broody pen .
today I found a teeetiny white serama and then tonight I ran out and got a quick photo after this little black baby hatched! Looks like I might have a cochin Serama finally. And this little booger is definitely "Copperjacks" baby! The other eggs are mysteries! I know there is at least one more Serama ...oh Well hope fully I'll get a sweet surprise in the morning.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

July 17, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8698728

What a great looking Hodge podge...So, So, cute...Hay
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8698938

I had a "litter" like that. Just yesterday I moved two that look like Lavender Cochins (they hatched from blue/green eggs, but Mom's a "mutt" too) out of their cage, leaving two that look like bantam games. One is the smallest chick I've ever seen, at 3 months, she (I think) is no more then 4" high to the top of her tiny head. Her cagemate/sister is twice her size, but they seem to be okay together, the other "sisters" were just so big (comparatively) that I was afraid they'd trample the Little. I don't think I'll ever be able to let her free range, she'll probably never be a size that's "safe" with the cats...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8698961

WEll.. this morning still only the two sweeties! I checked them out and they are doing just great! The tiny white Serama is already running all around in the nest. the black is twice the Seramas size ( ws hoping it would be a little smaller) but it is doing great too! Im just happy that this one definitely was fathered by CopperJack and not my sneaky ole man Silkie " ZZTop".
Mama wasnt too thrilled with me moving her off the nest but she will be fine... no pips in the other eggs yet.
I got a late start this AM so no pix until this afternoon!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8699408

That is cool Eufaula.. good save to those eggs! The picture is darling! I can't wait to see more!! What a crazy pair up! :)
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

July 18, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8699722

Adorable little fluff balls!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8700421

Peeky-Boo!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8700423

Hey Sissy!! Did ya hear sumpin?? Sounds like we got another playmate trying to get out!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8700424

I'm Trying !!!! Wheres my Mama?

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8700428

OK, lets settle down and go night night! Your new brother and sisters are on their way!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

July 18, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8700649

Aww so cute
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

July 18, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8700899

Would you come to my house and tell me a bedtime story???LOL...How darn cute is that. You should be writting books, that are illustrated by your real photos...Hay

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8701126

Thanks you guys!!! Im soooo excited! Well it looks as if we have 2 cochin/Serama, 1 Serama and 1 MARAN /Orpington! Now hows that for a hodge-podge!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8701127

Looks like the other eggers didnt make it. They are very quiet and very light! I believe they are infertile. So this after noon after work, I'l very gently remove them.
ooo I hate going to work today! Hmmmmm, maybe I should take the nest and mama and every one with me...NO! I cant do that...or can I??? Man this Chicken-Head business sure can turn you into a silly Goose!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

July 19, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8701852

Don`t ya just love baby chicks?I can`t stay out of the coop,I just love looking at them,the mothers are showing them how to scratch and find food and knocking the little things over or covering them with shavings,they get up shake off and start scratching.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8701860

I watched a nature show a couple weeks ago where the zookeepers held penguin eggs up to a light to see whether they were fertile or not. They could tell by the outline backlit against the eggshell. Maybe you can try something like that with future eggs.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8702717

I love this thread! You have the best hatch ever! What a crazy bunch of babiez they will be when they start to grow.. I can't wait for pictures of them as awkward teens!!! Congratulations!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8703082

All are well and doing great!! It was mom that had an awkward time of it. This was her first "live" hatch, and she is still learning that shes the boss. She had never been in the broody house before so she was really out of her element. I had to take the chicks and put them in the opposite end of the brooder where the feed and water were. They went right to work on that starter feed and man they were soooo happy to have water. Mom was so unsure at first of what to do but once she learned where everything was she did fine!
Once mom learned how to walk on a wire cage floor she wasnt so slow to watch the kids. Now she is all over that brooder with them and they are craling all over her. Its so funny to see a little head POP out from her feathers. They are on top, under her, in front, in back, You never know where they will hide!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

July 20, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8705219

Way to go Eufaula. Sounds like your having a blast. I love your hodge podge story and flock

Well the customer who bought all my silkies picked them up today, along with three pens. My coop is now empty. Tomorrow I will start cleaning all the shavings out of it. I have no more seramas, and no more silkies. I only have five standard chickens that are egg layers for ourself. It feels very strange.

I do have a new pheasant hutch and flight pen, along with five pheasant pullets that are ten weeks old. I will take a couple pic's tomorrow. The pheasant are very plain right now as it takes at least one year before they even start to color. One of the reasons I decided to go with the pheasant is I love their coloring, and only need tending to once every two weeks. They eat very little, and don't scatter their feed. They seldom soil their waterer or feed. I am picking up a pair of Lady Amherst this Saturday and Monday will start building a new twenty ft X forty ft flight pen along with an Eight ft x Eight ft shelter for them. One of the things that I really like about the pheasant is that after eight weeks of age they require no heat even in the very coldest of weather. They are from the cold regions of China, minus thirty degrees so our weather does not phase them...I noticed last year with my adult pair that they never went in at night, even on the coldest -8 degrees nights. They would just sit out all night and roost in the cold. They had a warm pen with lights on to warm them and they just ignored it...Hay
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8705502

The end of an era. Sigh. I wish you all the best with your pheasants, they are beautiful critters, but I know I will miss the stories of the littles.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8705517

Awww Haystack! I know where you are in life and I have been considering the "Change" also. Tidying up my Chicken "farm" is probably what I will do very soon. I think sometimes I go overboard with all the different breeds but I just love them all so very much. It does take a lot of work and love.
I am on the road a lot here lately with my Family, job and chicken groups. So "Skinny-ing down" my number of chickens will coming very soon. Just deciding on which breed I want to keep is the problem.
Now that you have decided on your layers and your pheasants, we certainly will be looking forward to their photos and stories! I dont believe I have ever met your Layers, we need to get aquainted.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

July 21, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8705930

Eufaula, so much of what you do really appeals to me, I guess it's because I also have a hodge podge for layers. I have one rir, one white rock, one red sexlink, one spanish buttercup, and one australorp, and one cuckoo maran. I also go through that same emotional battle of what breed I really enjoy the most. It was really hard to give up the seramas, They are so quirky, tiny and loving.

I have always been a person of color, I have to have my color or I get depressed. Not kidding, my wife loves green plants in the house but I have to have color. The brilliance of the pheasants makes me feel alive, I can watch them for hours just to get my color fix. They will come over and take lettuce from my hand but you can't really tame them as you can seramas, so I won't have that closeness, but color is what I must have. I alway have lots of impatients for flowers during the spring and summer as they are easy keepers, and lots and lots of color. My male mature pheasant has six distinct brilliant colors right now and is just stunning. His colors are yellow, black, blue, red, green and two small strips of purple. Wished I could have found my wife in those colors...LOL...Karen gets those colors when she's mad at me...I never could figure out how she could ever get mad at me. Whats there not to love...Thats what I tell her...LOL...Hay
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 21, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8706140

: )

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8706184

Sounds like Sweet Karen will have to buy a lot of Colorful dancing outfits! oooooh, Feather boas too!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 21, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8706400

Yes! -And, of course, we'll need pictures...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8706449

I just stumbled over this website. I think I can use many ideas that are given here for a couple of new chicken tractors I need! Hope I get the web right!

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html

Lots of great pictures for ideas!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

July 21, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8706484

Eufaula, I know the lady who owns this website, she is about a hundred fifty miles south of us. Nice lady and I really like visiting her website, I love the creativity of the chicken tractors, but never liked the impracticality of most of them...I have a relative that built one and I must admit it was one of the best I'd ever seen. He used it for one spring season, he quit using it and I knew why, but wanted to ask him why. He said, "you know, I just wanted to build one and try it. However my wife and I both got tired of having to get on our knees and trying to clean, get eggs, and deal with the birds just got miserable". I asked him why he did not put it up for sale? He said, "if it made me miserable, why would I want to pass it on". I just thought it was interesting...It's like a closet, I need a walkin...Hay

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8706505

Ha Ha ! So True!!! I just need a safe and secure place to put my babies during the day while Im at work and it would be nice if I had a separate tractor for each breed! That way they could free range without worrying about predators. The stationary chicken houses have played out yards and all that they have to scratch around in is rock and dirt.
With Seramas though I can put the little lift door over the nest ing area to gather the eggs. Then My girls would have permanent runs that I could move daily. Oh well its worth a try!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8712759

After almost a week , here are the Hodge Podge Quad. Doing well and curious ,curious.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8712763

The Tiny Little Serama is the perfect "Tweety Bird" Character. I love it when it stretches out that neck. It looks as if its going to Sqeak out,"Did you see a Puddy Tat"??

Thumbnail by Eufaula

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8716454

That Serama picture made me say OOOOH MMYY GOSH!! really loud. LOL How cute!!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8717963

Well sad news today. One of the Little Serama/Cochins died yesterday. Cant figure what happened to it. It just quit following its Mama and siblings around and quit eating a couple of days ago. I did everything I knew to do. It just started standing to one side and not moving. Whenever I reached to pick it up it would run over to its mama and hide. So I knew it was responsive. I even tested it to see if maybe it was deaf, cause it just wasnt responding to its mama's clucking. I took it over to the waterer and it drank just fine but it crop was always empty. Poop was normal and never did have that weak neck look or sit there with its eyes closed and wobble like they will do if they are sick.
so now we are down to one Serama, one Serama /Cochin and a Big ole Maran/ Orp.
Which sadly enough might all have to go to new homes very soon. I will be selling all my chickies and coops . My job is going well but I have had some rather unexpected financial burdens come up and I am not going to be able to maintain my babies the way I love.
Right now I have family obligations that just need my attention and I will be running the roads in most of my off time. I will be traveling between Raleigh N.C. to Savannah, Vidalia and Middle Georgia in Eatonton regularly for a few months. My Parents and children come first. I plan to hang on to "Chickopea" Serama and my Silkies , but that will be all I can manage for now.
I hated to post this but I wanted you all , My Heart Family, to know what was going on. Sad day in the Chicken Head world.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 27, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8718038

I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes! Please stay with us here and let us know how things are going for you.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8718403

Oh Eufaula. I'm so sorry, about everything. I'm going to look up where your route will take you, and if it's near here, I could take some of your Featherkids and keep them for you until you can retrieve them later on, if that would help. Wish it didn't have to be this way..

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8718429

Thanks PorkPal. Its funny how quickly your whole life can change in just 24 short hours. It never fails to amaze me too, that I always know if one thing goes wrong there will be another problem soon behind...the old trouble comes in threes thing I guess.
To sum it all up...here is a list of subjects for phone calls since day before yesterday from different family members, Divorce, Spousal abuse, loss of job, 2 separate needs for immediate back surgeries, Rhuematoid arthritis leading to total dissability and the Horrible dementia/Alzhiemers. this is not the place for this but thanks guys for my venting.
Catmad, Sweetheart, I will be emailing you.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 27, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8718452

Oh what a load! I'm so sorry!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8718477

No No NO, please dont be sorry just smile really big for me and send happy vibes and prayers for me and my Family!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8719993

Sad to hear you gotta cut back.. but family does come first.. I'm proud of you for that. It doesn't have to be permanent either.. when things get back under control.. ya never know. I sure hope you stay here.. and keep in touch..

I've lost several chicks that way.. it just happens.. like they get the message to stay away and just ignore the group.. and then go to sleep.. so sad, cause just doesn't make sense.. (to us anyway) When I see a chick not jumping in with the rest.. I know it's trouble. I'm sorry for your loss.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8720464

Thanks Y'all, on a happy note, one of my daughters is moving in with me. It will be nice to have her for company. As you know I live alone so now with her here I can be assured that the babies I keep will be well taken care of while im in and out. ahhhhhhh! See things are not so bad, little blessings come when needed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America