Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 17, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8698731

I've been watching these threads for quite awhile, and have a question for those with more experience. I am looking to find me some land that I can build on. I've been studying a lot. I'm a planner, but I was raised very country and a lot of the foraging and hunting and gardening is how i was brought up. I guess what I'm asking is... in regards to building materials. I've read up on cordwood, strawbale, straw-filled, and some others. What's your input on these construction styles?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8701833

My, I could write a book on the subject, far too much to address here!

A lot depends on overall weather conditions at the location. Strawbale houses are great in the dry SW, not so good in New England or any place that gets a lot of rain/moisture. Cordwood can have wood-eating pest problems. Adobe needs dry conditions too, but rammed earth with mud stucco veneer holds promise, again depending on conditions. A similar structure with glass bottles in a mud wall is intriguing.

In my mountain area, I favor site-oriented passive solar that's earth sheltered and well insulated on 3 sides plus floor and roof. I'd probably use the method the Nearings used in their buildings, local rock in a thick wall, surrounded by concrete.

What ever method you end up choosing, the 2 important factors are insulation and waterproofing.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 19, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8702015

Thank you, Darius, for your input. I'm in the midwest, and will probably stay close to here. I've even considered the sheds they have that look like barns, like they have in Lowe's parking lots and such. There are some very nice ones, one's a 2 story. Shingle roof and stud walls and all. I've considered pouring a foundation and putting that on there. I could insulate it and finish it out as finances permit. I don't know whether anyone on this thread has any ideas on that, but it seems feasible to me. i like the earth homes, except i really like a lot of natural light. I know a lot of ppl say they're not dark, but it's just a mindset thing for me I guess. I'll have to read up on the Nearings. I'm a 30 something widow, so keep in mind that I don't have anyone to depend on as far as heavy construction goes, besides very good friends and I don't want to lose my friends before the real fun begins, as I know there will be many many projects that I will not be able to do on my own.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8702107

A friend near Gainesville, FL bought one of those 2 story buildings, and is finishing it out as a home for her grown son, as time and money permits.

Keep in mind, the shell of a house is only 20% of the total cost... there's the well, septic, electricity to be brought in if remote ($$$$$$$$$$$$), inside plumbing and electric, insulation, interior walls, bath and kitchen fixtures... and more. But with perseverance, it's all doable one way or another. There's not much a 30-40-50- or even 60 year old woman cannot accomplish with ingenuity. I know, been there.

Lots of good books around (best ones from the 1970's) to guide a newbie; I even have a couple written just for women... That's assuming you can learn from a book with good illustrations. I can and do, but many cannot.

You said midwest; you staying near where you are? What's the terrain?

(BTW, My ideal earth sheltered home is rather long but just one room wide, with the south face mostly all glass. No lack of light inside! No privacy either, so it helps to not have nearby neighbors.)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8702511

LOL ~ agreed on the one long room with all windows on the south side and if I can add, high on a mountain side so the neighbors would have to dangle from tree limbs if they wanted to be nosey.

Many here are building metal garage type buildings and then going inside and building an apartment inside. A side benefit is the property tax rate is lower as it is only a metal garage. The metal framework would be more sturdy in serious storms too.

If you intend to stay in Bentonville and don't already own property, you may just look for a fix it up homestead. Or should you own land, I would not hesitate to look at a small mobile home to get your feet wet. Then later, you may have a better idea as to what would suit you.

Glad to have you join in and know that you will at least get moral support from me... pod
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 19, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8702699

I appreciate your moral support and feedback. The terrain here is rolling hills. There is trees and lots of vegetation. We get all 4 seasons here that's for sure, usually not a lot of snow mostly ice. Except this year when we got hit hard with the snow. If I relocate from here, it would be to missouri up around Ft. Leonard Wood area, as my family has quite a spread of land up there with springs, electric, the whole 9 yards and it would only be a matter of building shelter. The problem is, work there is not easy to find. I do want to be off the beaten path though. Not a fan of having really close neighbors. I'm not opposed to hauling water in, or doing without electric for awhile... or indefinitely. I'm prepared to rough it to have the life that I want :D
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8752895

Always wanted a place with a spring.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8752938

Agreed! A spring and/or a source of good water would be at the top of the list.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

January 28, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #8986106

Well I know its been awhile since I posted so I will update. This week I signed papers on a trailer and 2 acres:D! The property is on a west facing hillside with an amazing view. Theres lots of trees and I will be thinning some out for a garden and such. The trailer needs work but I've got a good start on it already. Its all very exciting! I hope you 2 are doing well.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #8986262

Hooray for you!!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

January 29, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #8986353

I have tons of blackberry and black raspberry bushes on my place and up and down my road. So, I see lots of jelly and jam in my future. Also, I'm planning where to put my chicken coop so I can put 1 up right away. And I can already taste my green beans and new potatoes lol.
demonshollow
Winnemucca, NV
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #8986728

Sounds great, enjoy it!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #8987271

Great news! So happy for you. Can't wait to see pics of the new place!!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

January 29, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #8987300

I have posted pics on my facebook but haven't figured it out on here yet. I'm trying not to bite off more than I can chew but I also know I have to get stuff ready so I can have some kind of garden this year. I have so much to do its hard to know where to start. I know I want to plant fruit trees as soon as possible because it takes years for them to produce. And the trailer itself requires a lot of tlc. I'm exhausted just thinking about what lies ahead. Lol
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #8987871

Don't get overwhelmed. Everything will come in time. Just remember that Rome was not build in a day and your kingdom won't be either. :) You might try maing a list of all you want to do with the place and putting it in order of priority. Lists always help me. They are not written in stome but they give me direction and keep me on track.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

January 30, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #8988041

I have lists and lists of lists. Hahaha. Inside lists and outside lists and in between. I think this year will be mostly container gardens until I decide exactly where the garden will end up. Maybe a couple small raised beds as well.

This week I've got to pick out cabinets and counter tops. Who knew there was somuch to pick from?!? And paint colors? Argh. But it will all be worth it. I just know it will be easier to do the work when I'm living there instead of 45 minutes away from it. Lol
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

January 31, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8989921

Spent today in demolition mode! Ripped down damaged ceilings and insulation ripped out a wall and pulled up what carpet was left! Stinky stinky carpet and padding. But on a positive I think I found my cabinets and flooring. I have a lot of inside stuff to get done before focusing on gardens and chickens and other critters.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #8990401

Sounds like you are making real progress. Can't wait for pics of it all. Take them as you go.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 2, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #8992251

I have been taking pics gonna figure out how to post them on here. Yesterday my roof got repaired, which was a major holdup for getting much done. So Saturday I 'm planning on getting the rest of the demolition done. I do have a little mold so I m removing everything that looks questionable. Does anyone know what kinds of trees besides maples can be tapped for syrup? I have plenty of trees but none of them happen to be maples. I also just secured a stack of free pallets... The makings of myGoat shed :) i saw a really cool retaining wall made by stcking painted tires so that the centers of the tires become pockets for plantings. Since my property is almost total hillside I will be making lots of terraced areas for various purposes. *sigh* lots and lots of projects but I'm taking it one step at a time so I don't get overwhelmed.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #8992282

I know there are several trees that can be tapped for syrup, but not specifically. Birch is one, however, and maybe hickory.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 2, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #8992883

According to the University of Arkansas extension i need to plant my carrots this week. Well carrots and a few other things but the carrots is what I'm concerned with this year lol. Does anyone have any experience with planting them in containers? As my gardens not prepared I guess I will be trying containers. I'll let you know how it works out.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #8993286

I have never grown carrots in containers. I'd think as long as your containe was deep enough it wouldn't be any problem. You need loose soil no matter what. With small containers you might try shorter or round carrots. I am going to plant my carrots in the raised bed today. I am planting the little round french carrots. Also going to plant my green sprouting broccoli and my broccoli raab. I need to get my grow light out of the basement and get it set up.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 3, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #8994015

These are some outside shots before I did anything to the place.

Thumbnail by o_angi2001
Click the image for an enlarged view.

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 3, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #8994019

Part of my backyard. Probably where my chickens will end up

Thumbnail by o_angi2001

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 3, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #8994021

Front yard prior to removing 3 truckloads of trash and clearing brush.

Thumbnail by o_angi2001

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #8994024

Is that the back of the trailer? Save the pine straw you rake up. You can put it in a strawberry bed or anywhere you want to keep the weeds down.

I planted my carrots in 2 big nursery pots today. LOL You flung a cravin' on me.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 3, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #8994025

An idea of how steep the less steep portion of my property is. I see retaining walls and terraces in my future lol

Thumbnail by o_angi2001

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #8994185

It looks unloved for a while and I am sure you will change it.

On your last photo, there is a roofline on the right... is that an outbuilding? or a neighbor?

Retaining walls and terraces in your future will mean improved soil too and that will be a good thing. Looks like it is gravel-ly.

Fun to follow your hopes and dreams. Take one bite at a time and before long the sandwich will be eaten.

Keep us posted, wishing you success. Kristi
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 4, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #8994243

Looks like you have a serious project ahead of you! (I love the classic "tire-on-the-roof".) Potentially a beautiful piece of property.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #8994258

Porkpal ~ do you know why you see that 'tire on the roof' on many mobile homes of that vintage?
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 4, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #8994265

The roofline on right is a neighbor. Which is across the holler. The tire on the roof was to hold plywood up till my roof got repaired where a tree fell through last spring. Its repaired now. The only picture of the back of trailer is the last one. And yes I have plenty of gravel. Gravel and trees.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #8994334

Looks like a big, but do-able project. Looks like you may have lots of shade, too.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #8994899

Glad to hear the roof repair has been made. Folks commonly place tires on the roofs of mobile homes because the metal roofing rumbles and bangs in windy weather. The weight of the strategically placed tires will stop the racket.

Shade gardening may be a challenge. You will have to chart the sunlight this summer when the leaves are on the trees to help know how to position the beds.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 4, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #8994904

I will be clearing some of the trees near the road because I think that's where my garden will do best the hill faces the west so the upper part is only section to get morning sun.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 17, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9010665

Tomorrow I start replacing my floors. I removed my old water heater yesterday and in the process ended up with a rather large hole in my closet floor. I knew it was gonna be replaced soon but was planning on a couple weeks down the road.

Cabinets are almost all out in the kitchen and am finishing removing them tomorrow as well. I have decided to build my own replacement cabinets.
I plan on using lumber to frame them then put paneling on the outside and leave the front open. I can put shelves in some and drawer carts in some. I will get a prefab bar counter for my peninsula where my sink is, and plywood with tile for my other cabinets. I am going to sew curtains for the front of the cabinets and tah dah. As for my upper cabinets I am gonna go with open shelves.

I started primering my walls in my bedroom and kitchen and hallway. Looks so much better! And I'm so proud of my bargain hunting skills! I got a 5 gallon bucket of a beige color paint for 20 bucks, regular 55, and a gallon of grey for 5 bucks regularly 25. Not sure which room is gonna be grey but am thinking my master bathroom. Sounds dreary but the walls are blue in there and after I put my first coat of kilz on they looked grey and I thought it looked very pretty with my red and tan color scheme. But anyway I was excited to get such good deals!

My seedlings have started sprouting in my little seed tray so I am more than a little relieved about that. Hopefully they continue to thrive :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9010740

Wow, great progress!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9012173

You are really making major progress. Getting such big things done will have you on cloud 9.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 19, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9012721

Well I didn't quite get as much done as I'd hoped. But I did get a huge load of trash taken to the dump :) a whole trailer full of icky carpet and padding, panelin, linoleum, water heater, and junk the previous owners left. My dad and brother were there to help soooooo the upper cabinets in my kitchen are now down and gone as well. Also did some wiring fixes. Thats always a good thing to have someone knowledgeable do for me! This week I'm pulling up the floor in my laundry room closet and kitchen and it's getting replaced saturday. And the rest of my kitchen wall where the mice have, at some point, built quite a metropolis. Those, too, are getting replaced this weekend

. I have a young man I work with who is so excited about my place and he's wanting to learn how to do this kind of thing... So HE ASKED ME if he could come help me. He didn't just ask once hes asked several times and is going to help me on Wednesday. I think thats so cool! He said when I build my goat shed, rabbit hutches, and chicken coop he wants to come help too. He has no idea what he's volunteered for. Hahahahaa

A friend of mine has already lined up a mini donkey, some hens and a rooster and some goats for me for free!!!! when i get ready for them. Keep your ingers crossed that doesn't fall through.

Yes I am on cloud nine. But I'm also a little overwhelmed. I have hundreds of lists and thousands of things to do. On one hand its a good thing I am doing this alome because its my dream not someone else's, but sometimes it's a lttle scary that I'm taking this huge thing on myself. I know I can do it, but there are moments of weakness where I look at a hole in the floor or a pile of rocks and think... Holy crap what have I got myself into? Lol but all in all I'm very excited and can't wait to be living out there and waking up in my paradise every morning
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 20, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9013291

I checked my seed tray this morning and my radishes and carrots are doing fantastic! The peppers and okra are doing good too, just now starting to pop through the top of the soil. And I found a design for a hoophouse that I'm gonna try. Yep another project on my list of things to do! Hehehe
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 22, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9016581

I have several trees that fell on my property in the big ice sso torm a few years ago. Since they have started rotting already I lined them up in a dip that I think will be perfect for a hugelkultur bed. I'm looking forward to see how well it turns out.

I got a really nice compliment today. The man I'm buying the place from has a son in law who does all of his remodeling jobs for him. Anyhow, he knew what my trailer looked like before I got it and stopped by to do some work and commented how much better the place looks... And smells :) it is nice to hear that from someone! Yesterday, I finished with the removal of my kitchen cabinets. Below is a picture of my completely gutted kitchen. This weekend I get my new wall:) and what it looked like when I bought the place

Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001
Click an image for an enlarged view.

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 5, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9031619

Well, here is an update. Cabinets are purchased and insulation is complete (except a trouble wall I am struggling with) and sheetrock is ready to install! Wednesday I am painting my bedroom and bathroom and primering my subfloors. Then Saturday I am hanging the drywall. Phew! I also have to squeeze in the whole preparing_my_garden thing somewhere. Oh, and my friend and I bought 5 ducks and about 12 chicks. We couldn't resist their cute little peep peep peeping. I plan on moving into my place in April. Hopefully, before the 18th. This may seem weird but that was my wedding anniversary. I picked my place out on the same date as my husband died so I think our anniversary seems like a good move in date. Plus i think 3 months to remodel a trailer is prety darn good "for a girl" lol.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9032598

I have been lurking along watching your progress but I felt I really should tell you how impressed I am at the job you have done. Wow kudos to you for even taking on this project . I hope you don't burn yourself out working and remodeling. I don't see how you can think about gardening with all these projects to do to get finished, plus the shelters for critters. You are a determined person so I'm sure you will manage all of it. I couldn't ,since I retired I can't seem to multitask anymore. Best of Luck Cindy
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 6, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9032819

Riverland, thanks for the boost :)

I am fortunate to have a very good friend who is out there with me nearly every time I go to work. She has been amazing to keep me positive and help. My dad and brother are helping me on weekends with the heavy stuff. I am lucky to have some gr8 ppl in my life who are wicked smart! I am being careful not to burn out. I tell myself daily, I have a lifetime to finish these projects I am not on a timeline, but this is the life I have dreamed of for for so long and I can't wait to be living my dream!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9032981

Angi... how did you lose your DH? Don't reply if it's too painful.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 7, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9033197

Darius, He was in a car accident 6 years ago.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 7, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9033205

Darius, it's ok. I'm fine about it. He was in a car accident 6 years ago. The irony of the thing is that 2 months before he had been declared cancer free after battling colon cancer.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9033274

So sorry. You sound young enough that I wondered if he had been military. We've lost so many young men in the Middle East wars.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 7, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9033309

Yes Darius we have lost too many. I married very young and unfortunately, was widowed at 26. But I have never been in a hurry to replace him and now I just feel comfortable with being alone. This is a dream that we shared... Living off the land and being debt free. A few acres and some critters for company.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9033398

How lovely that you can pursue the dream you and he shared!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 12, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9040539

Ok, an update on progress...
I have insulation and drywall on my west wall in living room and kitchen! And I learned how to tape and mud! Very exciting. Painting is progressing in other aareas as well. I also now have cabinets (my parents bought them for me as a surprise!) They will be installed in the next few weeks.

This weekend I cleared my west slope end of my driveway. It is my future strawberry patch. Also have started moving some rotting trees t my future hugelkultur bed. My garden patch at my neighbors is tilled and I am looking forward to working on it and getting things planted there.

My friend and I bought chicks and ducklings and out of 21 have lost 1 polish. They are a hoot! They are staying in a coop her husband built for her until I move then some or most will movewith me.

I also have found an abundance of wild strawberries growing on my place. Lets hope they produce! Along with all the blackberries and. Raspberries I should have plenty of jelly and pie filling this year.

I will post pics, or at least try to.

Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9040757

Looks like you are knocking out those jobs pretty fast. Looks great. Love the chicks.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9040804

Cute babies, esp. the duckling.

Congrats on getting some walls up! :) Can I give you a tip without sounding critical? If you hang sheetrock with the long seams horizontal instead of vertical, they won't show nearly as much when light hits them. It might mean a tad more waste but worth it in the long run.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 13, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9041140

Darius, thanks for the tip. The reason I hung them vertical is my sidewalls are 7 foot tall. I know there will be flaws in them bc the studs are bowed and the trailer is so not even close to being square. I did opt for convenience on this, I admit.

I also have an all black duck, but didn't get a pic of it by itself. Not surr what breed ducks they are or even what they will end up looking like when grown. And don't know how to sex a duckling. So... Between my 2 and my friend's 2,we will sort them when grown so that 1 of us doesn't have all males. Same with the chicks.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9041177

Didn't I read somewhere that only the female ducks quack? Or something like that...

I have about decided that if I can ever get some fowl to raise, it will be ducks, not chickens... and maybe some caged quail.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 13, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9041185

Cool. That may be idk. But none sre quacking yet. Just peep peep peep.

So I am curious why Quail? I'm also looking for guineas. The ticks are already terrible here!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9041202

Oh I forgot a couple of guinea hens for the ticks!

Bobwhite Quail because they are edible, and quick to reach meat size. I said caged but I think a large, fully enclosed pen if I get quail (because they can fly) other than Bobwhite. That's real iffy for a year or two.

Here's what a little research brought up:
- They are native to a little more than half of the US, as well as parts of Canada and Mexico
- Their habitat has been decreasing in many parts of the country
- Their eggs are said to be more nutritious than chicken eggs, and even medicinal
- They thrive on early to mid succession, so could be great for rotational grazing of a patch mozaic style forest garden.
- They're readily available for purchase from many breeders across the country.

Right now I'm working hard to convert from row gardening to establishing edible self-maintaining food forests, and then I can incorporate some ducks. I could use them right now to control the slugs, but not ready with housing, pond, etc. for at least another year.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9041212

I should add (again, I think) that I have started some rare (perennial) Babington's Leek, more than I need, if anyone is interested in trying a few. Will trade for fruit scions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/may/21/alys-fowler-alliums
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/144501/
http://quosac.blogspot.com/2006/12/babington-leeks.html
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 13, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9041439

The food forest idea interests me. I would be interested in which plants work best in this style of growing. I grew up listening to the bobwhites at night. I have heard that as cedar trees spread the quail leave, not sure how accurate but sounds good.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9041474

Angi, there's a whole mountain of information available about edible food forest gardening. Best thing (in my opinion) is to go to the library and check out Toby Hemenway's "Gaia's Garden" (pref. 2nd edition). Go to YouTube and search for videos; Toby's book is MUCH better but the videos do show some working projects. I've been reading and studying everything I can get my hands on for over a year (including some University text books via inter/intra-library loans) and I barely know much. It can be almost like a crash course in everything about Mother Nature!

There's also a lot of information on http://permies.com scattered about on the permaculture forum there. It's free; the guy who runs it is an autocratic jerk (his words) but the information both from him and all the members is wonderful. Check out their other forums too, like Homesteading.

There's also a free University Course, Introduction to Permaculture online from NC State University. You don't even have to register. I'm only watching about 1 class a week, 'cause I'm almost as busy as you are. Here's the link:
http://mediasite.online.ncsu.edu/online/Catalog/pages/catalog.aspx?catalogId=1ec0688b-568a-4a47-a8ca-8926e7b4ef1b

It makes the most sense of anything I've ever learned about gardening (and more). Hugelkultur can (and should) be a part of it, but it goes far deeper than that, into what plants together nourish each other so we don't need to buy/add chemical fertilizers. This year, like last year, I'm integrating annual vegetables with the perennial foods, and hopefully starting a few more guilds. In 5 years they all should be 90%-95% self-sustaining.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 15, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9044466

Thanks for all that. I have tons to study now. I think combining some hugelkultur beds with some other methods will make the most sense for me till I get it figured out.

I got more of my yard cleared out today, and without all the briars and brush I actually have a really nice backyard:) it was very exciting to sit on my back step and picture it next year and the years after as i get projects done.

The chicks and ducks are getting sooooo big. Except for what we think are polish. I need to look up their growth bc those little things are dwarfed by the others lol. They are quickly outgrowing the brooder pen we have them in now. And we got a small kiddie pool for the ducks @ dollar general today. Much better idea than scrubbing out the bathtub everytime we let the ducks go for a swim. My friends kids were NOT real thrilled with sharing their tub with livestock. I just don't get kids these days lol.

I did get some of my walls sanded so I think that will be fairly easy to do and slap a 2nd coat of mud on. We'll see this weekend.

Since I have some drain pipes to replace I am considering aand plotting a gray water usage system. Routing my bathtub, washing machine, and possibly bathroom sink to graywater tanks. I will have rainbarrels separate but trying to figure out the logistics of my plan. Any ideas? I figure this is the best time before I get my bottom of my trailer all insulated and covered aand sealed up tight.

I am obsessed with this remodel aand I know my friends aand family and co workers must think I am crazy because it's all that's on my mind. Either building or painting or gardening or critters, my brain is on overload. And i love it hehehehehe. I can't wait to be livingthe life:)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9044508

Planning for greywater NOW is a great idea! I took off just the line from the washing machine this year, and plan on a series of small shallow ponds soon, like Toby Hemenway describes in Gaia's Garden, to filter the water before it reaches my veggie garden and my creek. Of course, that means changing to a better detergent for washing clothes, too.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 15, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9044533

I make my own detergent using fels naptha, its the duggar family recipe. My husband and I used our washing machine water to water flowers by accident. For some reason the washer ran str8 to the sewer ditch instead of the septic. Anyway it got crushed over time andleaked into flowerbeds. We always had the prettiest flowers!!! Lol. I am thinking bath water would be good to use as well. Seems a waste to send it to septic. I mean, I paid for it and all. Might as well get my full dollars worth;)

I need to check into the filtration ponds I guess, I just figured the gray water was ok running through soaker hose or via buckets to water garden and flowers.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 23, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9054647

Lots of progress on the place... Inside anyway. The wall in my living room that I have been stressing over is done!!!!! Almost. The rotten parts are replaced, and tomorrow the insulation aand sheetrock goes up. I am blessed with amazing friends and parents. A friend and her brother came overtoday and ripped out the closet floor where the water heater had leaked and rotted the floor. He is also an electrician so he set me up with plenty of gfi outlets, added some outlets, and traced out all my wires. All I have left to do on my first waall of drywall is a skim coat. I'm getting the hang of mudding now. My mom helped me scrub my ceilings so tomorrow I primer and paint ceilings.

Outside, I have made some more progress pulling the briars and brush.

Also, I was GIVEN 16 yards of creek gravel, thousands of daffodills, about 100 landscape timbers, a bunch of stepping stones and boulders, birdfeeders and shepherd hooks, and decking from a porch. My brother has a friend who just bought a house and is redoing the entire yard. One mans trash is definitely this girls treasure!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9055070

Yup, sounds like lots of progress on the house... and the yard gifts are fantastic!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 25, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9056952

My sheetrock is all hung!!! Yay!

Ok, I have a confession to make: I didn't get much done today. Instead I went to the lake and dipped my feet in the water. And took a long walk and enjoyed the beautiful day after church.

That being said, I should be moving in sometime in April :)
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 27, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9059873

I scored big time today! I got a heaping full cart load of plants for less than 5 bucks! The plants are all rootbound and are in rough shape but I know over half of them at least will do well. There was close to 50 phlox plants alone. And a bunch of pansies and more lemon basil than I have ever seen in my life lol.
I almost couldn'tfit it all in my backseat of my car.yep life is good:)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9060121

Good news on the plants... and the sheetrock hung!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9064983

It is amazing the progress you are making. I am impressed.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 1, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9065818

Ok, so I started d a flowerbed and will finish it later this week. I have a whole lot more plants than I had envisioned when I bought my compost and peat moss. But i had to get the plants in theground as they were so rootbound and sime weren't even in pots.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9065897

Will you be growing the flowers and veggies together?
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 1, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9066088

The plants I got are all flowers that I put in the ground yesterday. My vegetables will be separate.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 5, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9071492

So we are pretty sure that of the 5 ducks my friend and I got, 2 of hers are male and female mallards, her daughters duckzilla is a female muscovy, I have a female possibly mallard, and a something else we aren't sure of.

I have several pictures to post but am having a hard time getting them to post grrr.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9076456

I have had a hard time trying to post pics too. That muscovey should be a good layer and they don't quack, just hiss.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

May 7, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9115013

It's been awhile since I checked in so I thought I would update. Because of money issues I have slowed down progress on the place but I am picking the pace back up. We built a nice big coop at my friends since the store bought one has been outgrown. Then we installed new fence to keep the wolves and dogs from feasting on the little tasty morsels. Which brings me to a question. Whats the easiest way to dispatch of excess roos for a firsttimer? I dont doubt I can do it but I don't want to mess up aand drag out the process forthem. We ended up with 4 roosters. 1 is a polish we will keep. 1 is what we believe is a brown leghorn. Hes the pperfect roo and is a joy to watch him escort his ladies into the new coop every evening 1 at a time. The 2 others are huge white monsters. And they fight with the roo and he wins sooooooo... They are sentenced to the freezer.

I have more flooring to work on and some more drywall... Eeek I see drywall joints in my sleep these days.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9117913

I HATE plucking feathers so this is what I do. I tie their wings next to their bodies so they can't flop around. I lay them on a stump and chop their heads off with a very sharp hatchet. Then I hang them from a low limb on a tree, cut off the eings and skin them. Even though wings are my favorite part of the chicken I am glad to sacrifice them to save plucking. Then I gut them.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9160689

I enjoyed every minute of reading this! You are amazing and living MY dream. I've been gardening reading and dreaming for several years now. My hubby is not 100% on board yet but my Brooklyn boy is getting there. He grows more confident in our abilities every year that we waste in this expensive run down house on 1/3 acre! I try new things every year and this hear is about food preservation including a root cellar in the crawl space. If I can get this down and he os eating fresh organic carrotss all Winter I may finally have him hooked on the idea!

I could totally relate to the post where you said friends and fam must think you're crazy because it's all you talk about! Keep up the good work and updates. You give me confidence!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

June 11, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9161588

Thank you for your vote of confidence. The past month has been quite slow going. Sorta... I feel like all I seem to do is mud drywall and weedeat to try to tame some semblance of a yard.

I have plumbed for the first time in my life, and it wasn't as bad as I would have thought. My laundry room is totally finished, linoleum, paneling, trim, everything. Yay!!! My bedroom only needs linoleum to be finished. Living room needs paint and flooring, and kitchen is still bare and empty.

My dad and brother built me a beautiful front porch
which I will try to post pictures soon.

This week I replaced my living room windows with double pane thermal type. I am very excited about that. Tomorrow I am planning to lay flooring in my bathroom, replace my toilet, finish painting my cabinets in bathroom, and experiment with painting my bathroom counter. Its currently blue formica and I am going to use the stone texture spray paint to paint it a tan/sand looking mixture. I also plan on taking my plastic shutters down tomorrow and spray painting them to breathe new life into them and squeeze a few more years outof them.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9162713

You are SO ambitious... puts me to shame! (Of course, I'm almost 72... which might make a difference, LOL.)
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

June 12, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9162855

Oh Darius, I hardly feel like I am getting anything done most days. You are amazing in what you accomplish. You run circles around me.

Today, however, was a good day. :) Well, after my brother and I killed a big copperhead. Let me just say that I am petrified of snakes. But I didn't panic. I grabbed a shop broom and an old straw broom and a hand miter saw and ran outside where he was standing just a couple feet from the beast. We pinned it with the brooms and I held them while he sawed its head off. So after that we felt as if weedeating could be finished another day, lol.

My living room and kitchen are primed and painted just need to finish some trimming. And we leveled some flooring. Its to fill any gaps in the subfloor. I am terrible with it but my brother did very good at it. Then, we experimented with my countertop in my bathroom. I bought a can of stone effect spray paint and we sanded the formica, sponged on some bullseye primer (I didn't have a brush with me grrr) and sprayed it on. Well so far so good. I plan on doing a 2nd coat tomorrow but it looked fabulous!

It is really coming together and that is such a gr8 feeling after the last 6 months!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9169467

So glad things are moving along well.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 6, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9195488

I have been trying to upload pics but can't seem to. Grrr. Well, my cabinets are assembled for my kitchen, I finally decided on amd bought my kitchen counter, and backsplash. My bathroom counter is done! And it turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. I am almost done painting my bathroom cabinets, I am painting them a white enamel. I need to lay the linoleum in my bathroom, living room and kitchen, and my peel n stick tile in my bedroom. Its very exciting!

Also the chickens have started laying!!!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9195596

Hooray for the hens! (and you, of course, LOL)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9203755

It all sounds great. Be glad when you get the pics posted.

I lost one of my EEs. My favorite one. I set some blue and green eggs under my two broody hens yesterday.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 13, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9204578

Bedroom nearly complete

Thumbnail by o_angi2001

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 13, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9204584

Im so excited I finally got pics to load :)
1st one is my bathroom with my linoleum half done, spraypainted counter and enamel resurfaced cabinets.

The 2nd one is my amazingly huge master closet, completely done!

The next one is my porch which I am completely in love with.

And last but not least is mine and my friends ducks and chicks over a month ago.

Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 13, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9204587

Sorry about the ee. We have lost a couple of ourhens too. A white one, probably the heat. And a red got over the fence and my friend has 2 wolves. 1 caught it midair. Poor bird didn't stand a chance.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9204975

It all looks great. You must be so excited to be so close to having it done. Does the bathroom open up off the bedroom?

Why did you decide on no roof for your porch?

The ducks and chicks look nice. Is that dark red chick a buckeye?

Sorry to hear about your chicken. I just hate to lose any. I lost 2 kids about a month ago. Born too early. That's a big hit. Half my kid crop for the year but I am milking the doe.

How have your gardens done this year?
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 14, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9205215

Cajun, yes the bathroom is open to the bedroom, I am not crazy about that but it is just me so I will get used to it, lol.

I will put a roof on my porch, possibly this fall. Eventually maybe even screen it in, that is why I wanted the frame ready for a roof :)

The dark red chick was just a straight run from the feed store so I have no idea but her and the rooster are gorgeous birds.
My garden was a pipers dream this year. Next year when I dont have to explain to my parents what I am spending my time on it will be feasible. I got a lot of grief over doing anything to my outdoors when the inside wasn't finished yet.

I just love farm babies. I can't wait to try my hand at goats and get back into rabbits.

Oh lets face it, I can't wait to be living my dream!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 14, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9205235

I have linoleum laid!!! Nobody told me just how messy the glue was. In smaller sections it wasn't as noticeable but doing the wholekitchen and living room I was a ball of glue.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9205291

And you did not get a pic of that?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9205421

Buckeyes are a heritage breed so they may not have been at the feed store. They are very pretty birds. I think PorkPal has some. They are larger than RIRs and more of a brownish red. I don't know much more about them than that.

I figured with no drop from the back of the porch frame to the front, you had decided to have no roof. A roof would be great. It would give you extra room in bad weather and shade in Summer. It's also nice not to have to stand in the rain while trying to unlock the door. :)

My Mom's bathroom opens to her bedroom. It's not bad. She has a big oval tub.

Sorry about your garden. Mine has been a mixed bag. Eating just a little out of it. My seeds did not do well this year. I won't be using that Jiffy starting mix next year. I'll go back to the peat pellets. I had better luck with them. My taters were a sad disappointment. The tomatoes are coming along well.

You are more adventurous than me. I'd have just gone with peel and stick. :)
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 15, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9206591

I will have to check on the buckeyes. I would like to go with heritage breeds in the future.

I will be putting a roof on my porch eventually and possibly screening it in, but I can easily enough fix what I have to accommodate that. Since it was my birthday gift I am thankful it came up with trellis at all.

As for the linoleum, I used that in my bedroom and am very pleased with it. I had wanted that in my living room as well, but arguing with my dad is futile.

I am so antsy looking forward to moving in I can hardly stand it.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 15, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9206675

Woo hoo I got more pics!

Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001   Thumbnail by o_angi2001

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9208211

It looks great, so clean and fresh. I can imagine you must be so excited!!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 21, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9213473

This is the week!!!!!!! I finished my flooring today, my toilet should be installed (my brother and dad are still working on it while I go to my drudge job) and my kitchen sink should be finished. Tomorrow, I take my first loads of stuff down to startmoving in. I am so very excited I can hardly stand it. Of course, now the real work begins... The stuff I have dreamt of. Chickens and goats and gardening and canning! Ahhhhh life begins this week. A new chapter of my life and I am ready for it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9213477

Whooopeee!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 21, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9213482

Woo-hoo!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 21, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9213955

I'm so happy, I am like a kid on Christmas eve. I have been giddy all evening at work. People are gonna think I am on drugs or something, jk.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9215991

I am so happy for you!!!!! If we lived closer I'd give you your first goat!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

August 9, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9236144

Well, I am moved in and am absolutely loving life! I spent a few days without running water but got my pipes fixed so I at least have some running water now. Still don't have my water heater hooked up but am fine with what I do have for now. I don't have internet so it isn't as easy to check on here.

I had forgotten just how much I love my laundry dried on clothesline. Yes, even the rough towels! Lol

I have been reading up on using pigs to terrace hillsides. Its slowgoing but makes sense. I shall put this on next years list of things to do. Ha! For now, I am mostly concerned with getting the brush and weeds under control and cutting down a few trees.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9236221

Bravo !

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9236494

Hooray Angi!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9236514

Great news!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9258836

So happy for you. Goats will help you clean up your weeds.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

September 9, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9270076

Update... I got a rabbit. Shes a rex mix and I plan on breeding her shortly. I also got 2 pigs. They're little Hampshire boars. Been working on the outside lately.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

September 26, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9287473

I don't get online much unless I happen to be in town besides for work so that doesn't happen very often. Quick update: the pigs are growing good and rooting up a bunch of rocky hard dirt so that maybe I can eventually have some sort of a yard like area. There have been some nasty windstorms that have knocked over a few trees in my yard and my dad was nice enough to come over and cut a couple more dead ones down. I have several more dead trees to come down but I got nothing but time. The rabbit is about mature enough to breed so I'm looking for her a boyfriend.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9288498

So glad things are going well. Good idea to put the pigs to work.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9288517

wow you have done an amazing job on your home... I love the new kitchen cabinets, just beautiful, I also love your ducks. When it comes times for goats, I would suggest some nigerian dwarf dairy goats, they are just wonder milkers and companions, just make sure to get more than one, or a single goat will drive you crazy...LOL

Jan

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9288743

Great progress, Angi...

I second the Nigerian Dwarf goats. Cute critters!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

October 22, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9312553

I am leaning toward the nigerian dwarfs. They are so stinkin cute. I have a friend that is giving me some chickens sooooo gotta get moving on a coop. I have so much to do to get ready for wi ter.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9312578

Hey Angi girl... wondered where you've been!

I went to a farm 2- 3 years ago to look at Dwarf Nigerian goats. If I'd had any $$$$$, several would have been loaded in the back of my truck!!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

December 25, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9367073

Well I will try to update. Merry Christmas to all my dg friends! Still no critters. My pigs got attacked by a pack of wild dogs so I have lost them. It was sad but I needed to learn that.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9367081

ang - sorry about your pigs - take life as it hits you - and hit back as you can - chin up - the world is good we just have to deal with it. Merry Christmas !
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9370034

So sorry about the loss of your pigs. It' s part of farming but not the best part. Lost my whole flock of chickens in 2 nights. I feel your pain. I am sure you will bounce back.You are made from strong stuff.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9509836

Angie, how are things going in your little slice of heaven?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9599597

darius

You can't go wrong with Nigerian dwarf dairy goats, I used to own 45 of those little ones and miss them so much. I especially love their milk, the cheese, butter and soap from their milk as well.

Jan
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

November 15, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9710047

Hello everyone. i sure have missed everyone. but i have internet access on my phone now! i have a billy named kidd believed to be fiber dairy cross and a dairy nanny. i also have 21 cockerels im growing out to butcher next month. i will try and post pics soon. i started canning this year as well. cukespickled onions n peppers salsa and peach butter. so far so god. planning to grow and can much more next year. also been busy knitting bunches. will read the other threads to catch up with all u great ppl!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9710486

Hi !
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2013
10:39 PM

Post #9710719

So good to hear from you again. You have been missed. I would love to learn to can. What kinda roos do you have?
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

November 17, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9711052

I got the frying pan special from
Cackle. 10weeks hatch to butcher. they should be ready just before christmas.

i started water bath canning this yr but got my hands on access to a pressure canner and a steam bath canner. i recommend steam to start. works the same as water bath in a frsction of the time bc ur not heating 20 qts of water. only 1 or 2.

Im planning next yrs garden already. i have loads of prep to do bc it will be my first. potatoes tomatoes corn beans cukes pepper slettuce herbs. not to mention goodies for the critters. ha.

Also have some critter pens to build by spring. plans for animals next yr. trying pigs again. another na.ny. 2 or 3 lambs. laying hens. ducks turkeys guineas and meat birds. And a donkey if i can get a good deal on one as in free. haha. i have already sold half these cockerels so i figure thats a good start at the critters supporting the farm somewhat. i also have a friend who lives just down the road who xcomes to help me w big projecys and i in turn help her and her family. it has turned out wonderfully.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2013
9:10 PM

Post #9711448

I have toyed with the idea of raising some meat birds. I think if I do I will go with the cornish cross roos.

I have never heard of steam canning. Does it require a special pot?

Make sure you get your pens built before you get your animals. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Swapping work is a great deal. It helped to build our country. The pioneers could not have built their homesteads and communities without it.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

November 17, 2013
10:08 PM

Post #9711457

I was going to get the cornish x but for 3 or 4 extra wks and the same feed amt total i thought i would try these for half price. 25 birds w tax and shipping came to just at 41 bucks. ordered o. a tuesday got them on thursday.

steam canner is a diff pot. used to be sold as steamer juicers but its really getting popular now. ppl will say the fda doesnt recommend it but the fda has never even tested. so its not like tbey can say one way or the other. my friends mom used one in the 70s and cannex thousands of jars every yr and swears by it so i started studying and asking aeouns. she bought a new one and i have open access to it. she bought it online a few months ago.

yes i learned about the pens the hard way. my pen was not good enough when i got kidd and he was free range for over a month and ha lf.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9711648

What breed are your roos? Are they meat birds?

I did read about somebody who canned their own grape juice using steam. Must be the same process.

I had to get rid of my last goat because of fencing problems. Goats require tight fencing and the low strand has to be very low. My hot fence kept shorting out because of weeds on the up the hill part of the fencing and I am not physically able to get around on the hillside and keep it clean. She didn't go anywhere when she got out but she kept getting into my garden. When she got into my strawberry towers and ate all the plants off the runners it was time for her to go. I gave her to a friend who already had goats and better fencing than me. She is very happy there and they love her. It was a win win. I took apart all the old fencing and refenced the downhill lot for my pony. I replaced 36 posts with just 17 posts and 6 strands of wire with 2. It looks so much better now and it stays charged. I will refence the hillside at some point with just two strands of wire.

How much property do you have?
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

November 18, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9711922

I have 3 acres of rocky hillside in the woods. when i say hill i mean im gonna have to terrace steps into the bottom of one side to use it. lol. The roos are meat mix. some are a light red some are black. I was gonna breed kidd this fall but due to circumstances my nanny cant be mived. so i will wait. sorry about the misspellings. getting used to touchscreen on my phone. grrrr.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9712312

I know all about rocky hillsides. LOL I had my goats on the steepest part of mine. There are a few flat spots on it that I could have built a few raised beds but I was not able to get up there easy enough to work it and I had no water up there. I would have had to build raised beds because there is no topsoil up there. It is mostly sand and rocks.

The good thing about pygmies and dwarfs is that they can be bred anytime of the year. Dairy breeds are seasonal breeders meaning they only come into heat at a certain time of the year but the others can be brought into heat anytime of the year by bringing a buck around. The good thing about that is that you can breed for early spring kids if you have good shelter.

I miss having chickens and I may have them again but it is not feasible right now. I can buy free range yard eggs for $2 a dozen at my feed store and I can't feed chickens for that.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

November 19, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9712733

I am hoping to have fiber goats . eventually but for now i will stick with meat dairy cross. I have a lot of work ahead for terracing actual beds. this yr i just plan to plant where i can. and i will work from there. lol. there r some good groups on fb for ideas too and i am learning so much from others. u all r incredible.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9712783

Do you spin?
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

November 19, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9712796

Not yet. but i knit and crochet and would love to do my own spinning too. do u?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9713182

No. My sister knits but she buys her yarn. She also quilts. She has made a quilt for each of her grandkids. She has 3 sons and they have 16 children between them and are expecting 3 more in January. Two of her DILs each lost a baby last year. So my sister will be quilting again. LOL She also makes them each a doll. They look like ragedy Ann and Andy dolls but their names are Ragedy whatever the child's middle name is. She embroiders the name on the hat. She is quite crafty. My Momma was an awesome seamstress but I suck at it. Can't be beautiful and talented, I guess. LOL LOL
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

December 28, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9735882

i hope everyone had a great christmas. mine was extraordinary. i still can hardly wrap my mind around it. my parents have offered to help me get a bigger flatter more farmfriendly placepe is great but i will never be able to make a profit or even break even selling it should i decide to. its a rocky hillside with very poor soil so gardening is a huge undertaking. and i have no heat besides space heaters. they worry about me being where i am in winters. so im on the search for at least 5 acres with a fixer upper house and a good place for animals and a garden. just so happens the area i am looking at a place sold 2 yrs ago and is abandoned now. it is 50 acres with 2 story farmhouse and an older barn and it sold for 20k. there are lots of places abandoned.like that. the problem is tracking down the owners. so im praying and searching and thanking God for parents who have come around to my mindset. they will never have to buy an egg or vegetable. lol
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9736961

You are blessed indeed. Best wished for your search.

Our Christmas was uneventful. No family so we just laid low.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2014
6:26 PM

Post #9799382

How is your search going? Any luck yet?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America