Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hypertufa and Concrete: I would like to patch a crack in my cement bird-bath........

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 10, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8698748

I've made 4, but when making this one I neglected to work out all the air bubbles. So, I surmise that water got in the space/s, froze, & cracked it during winter.

It is my largest, & the deepest of my shallow bird-baths. I wanted to leave it extra rough, to give hummingbirds & bees better foot-holds.

I would like to know whether I can effectively use just sand, cement, & water to patch it, or would that not work for some reason? What would work best? I do not plan to seal it. None of the others have been sealed, & none of them have cracked, though some are older & have been used longer, even in winters when we have had a freeze.

Thank You!
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8699637

I wonder if gorilla glue will work. I just used it to repair some pottery and it worked.
Gingerose
Lake Jackson, TX

August 15, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8758383

I broke my Saint Francis in half and the man that sells us bird baths for our shop said he can fix it for me he use's Bondo like you use on a car.He has not brought it back yet so I havent seen it yet.But he uses this on broken Concrete all the time.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8761108

Guess what. I smashed the pottery I had just fixed. It fell over and is a goner...bummmmerr
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8803787

So sorry about your pottery, 'plantsforpeg'!

'Gorilla Glue' seems like it might have toxic chemicals in it . . .

Whatever I use, it has to be safe . . . something that can't leach harmful chemicals into the water! I've been seeing some spray-rubber stuff on the TV for sealing cracks, but haven't yet seen its ingredients. Besides, I think sunlight would eventually ruin it . . . even if it initially worked for this!

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 3:28 PM
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8885689

I patched one of my bird baths with cement patch available at Lowe's or HD. I also sealed with it Thompsons Water Seal on the bottom. That was about 2 yrs. ago. So far no more leaks from that crack.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #8978092

A large tree in our front yard fell last Thursday and broke my birdbath right in 1/2. I am going to attempt to repair it with cement patch and also Bondo near the bottom so no chemicals can leach into water. Then I'll seal bottom again with Thompsons water seal.
It was a gift from a dear friend who is now gone and she hauled it all the way from N. Carolina to me in Fl. so I am definitely going to try and repair it. If I can't I will find a pro who can.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #8984266

My idea wouldn't work so my husb. (retired welder)is making a round of steel plate and going to glue bird bath to that. He will cut a hole in the center cause pedestal has round piece that sticks up about 3/4" and goes into bottom of basin. If that doesn't work I don't know what will. It will still have to be glued tog. Anyone find any non-toxic glue on the market??
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bonnie
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #8985017

Wow 'BonnieGardens'. . . that sounds like quite a elaborate plan!
I still haven't been able to get anything to repair mine with, so have been using it as a bird-feed-tray instead of bird-bathing! (I have several other b-baths, so the local birds aren't having to forgo wet baths.)

I also have a larger concrete 'thing' that my uncle (a rock-mason) made for my mom decades ago, that also now needs repaired. I'm not sure if it was intended to be a small covered pond, or, pot for a plant . . . but, there is no drainage hole. My mom never put anything in it at all, just letting Ivy grow up around & over the top a bit (so it became a sort of cave). When I eventually got it, I was living near a low spot where rain water sat long enough for tadpoles to not quite get big enough to leave the water, so I would net the surviving tadpoles out of the mud, fill this 'small pond' with water for their one of their ponds, & feed them high-protein fish food until they hopped away. (There were tree-frog, Spade-foot, & regular toad tadpoles. I had to separate them so the big ones wouldn't eat all the smaller ones!) However . . . eventually I learned that my uncle had incorporated chicken wire in this 'thing', when a piece of it broke off when the wire rusted! I've tried to keep it dry, since then. It's only a lizard hotel, now, I guess! It is shaped like a bowl on the bottom, with a bowl over the top that is open in front, with 2 shelves . . . one of which fell off, exposing the chicken wire.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #8994225

For all bird bath repairers.
Husb. finished all his experimenting. Basin is glued tog. and strapped while glue setting, with 2-part epoxy from Ace Hdw. also glued to steel plate with same.
I just went outside and put water in it for a test.
Will report back tomorrow. Hopefully it won't leak. \
Reason went thru all the trouble was becasue I can't just go out and buy another made like this one. Its vertegra and perfect depth for little birds to drink and bath.
Will report back.\
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #8994858

REPORT:
B'bath has had water in it all day and I measured height of water. Hasn't leaked a drop. Yipee. Tomorrow it goes back in place for my little feathered friends.
The 2 part epoxy dries as hard as the concrete.
I'd better be careful moving it, don't think my husb. would fix it again but at least now I know how to.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America