AuthorContent

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 18, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8698963

Hello, Bonjour, Aloha, Konichi wa, Sego, Buon giorno, Buenos Dias and all that, to you all.

Here we are with a brand new chat thread. Please feel free to kick off your shoes and let your hair down. We came from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1178182/#new

Take care, everyone.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8699271

Thank you, Pu'ole. As hot as it is here right now, a polar bear would be having a difficult time. Even in the shade it is extremely hot and no end in sight. Watching those Atlantic tropical storms as it will take a really big push to move this high pressure system away.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8700703

I've gotten used to the heat for the most part but I don't stay out in it for very long if I can avoid it. Too easy to get sick from the heat.

I hope we get some good storms this year. Not big hurricanes but strong enough to move the system finally.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8700711

They ware warning that our air conditions are in the orange range. Asking those that can to stay inside.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8701295

Hi, all.

Luckily, our temps remain in the 90s. We keep the house at 78 or 79F because Gail's arthritis really puts on a show when we set it lower. Even at those higher settings, it's still comfortable in the house because the AC pulls the dampness out of the air and you feel it when you walk into the house after having been outside for some time.

We are getting rain every day, not hours upon hours of rain, but enough to help the garden. I have no complaints. I hope you all make it through these record-setting temperatures unscathed.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8701353

So sorry for our friends in Phoenix. Another horrific dust storm and the season is not over.

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

July 19, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8701362

The rainy season has finally hit the Fl. Keys. I was fortunate enough to go on vaction to Nevada/ Arizona for a couple weeks and came back to awesome growth. The trees have all put on new leaves and it is time to start pruning again. My aroids are loveing the rain and I am melting in the humidity.
Scott
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8701651

Gosh! The weather that some of you are coping with is awful! I hope that those of you that need rain get it soon, and there seems to be no end in sight with the heat rolling across the country. What a difficult year it's been.

PK, just found the pics of your garden you e-mailed me - sorry, there has been a lot going on round here - I just love your "sun room" and pond, so very pretty! Please post some of those pics here, i am sure everyone would enjoy them - I wish I had such a lovely area to sit in and survey the garden.

Welcome Scott (old dude), so glad to have you join our "family"! Isn't it amazing how much a garden can grow when your back is turned! Would love to see some pics...

We have been going through old family pictures that my FIL had. Frank and Robert had never seen them before, and is been very interesting for them to see their grandparents and other relatives on their fathers side, all of whom were quite unknown to them. I have followed their grandmother's branch of the family (who I found out were the Van Horns) a little way back in time. It's very addictive! Have any of you done any research into ancestry, if so is there a site that you can recommend such as ancestry.com or something else that is better? As soon as the dust has settled, I am going to try to scan all those old photos into the computer and (hopefully) get them on dvd's for the grand and greatgrand kids. I have to do something as some of the photos are well over 100 years old and I am not sure how long they are going to last now that they have seen the light of day...Any hints or tips on how to organize them would be appreciated...

Off this morning to the eye surgeon as I think something has "gone wrong" with my cataract surgery - bummer! Hope I am wrong!

Have a nice day everyone.

Aloha

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8701672

Jen, first I'm so sorry that your eye is bothering you. Hope it is something very simple. My SIL has been doing genealogy of our family for several years. I know she uses ancestry.com but I will see if there are others. When my mom died I inherited a ton of pictures and diaries. The three of us siblings each have a share. Very interesting trying to pick out the various traits that one of us may have inherited. I purchased 3 ring binders and put most of the things inside acid free holders for the binders. (can't think of what you call them) oldtimers

Please report about your eye.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 19, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8701888

Good morning,

It's a hot and humid day here especially since I neglected to pay my electric bill and spent the night with no power which also meant almost no sleep.

Tony has gone to Santa Rosalia to pay the bill and tell them I'm old and sick so will they please not wait five days to restore power as they did for his neighbor. Being the resourceful person he is, he also thought to hook up extension cords from Dana and Tom's so I have my puter and a fan.

Jen, I sure hope your eye is OK. Let us know. Prayers coming your way.

hugs, katie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8702564

Our actual temps went over 100 today but the humidity was only around 30% so we didn't have to deal with that so much.

Jen, hope your eye is ok!!

LouC, pleeeease post some of the pics of your garden!! Been a long time since we've seen any.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8702746

Hi.

I love rescuing old pictures from the ravages of time. I scan them, fix the image with PhotoShop and give them a 2nd life for future generations. If you have such pictures, please do not hesitate to ask me to work my magic on them. I'd be glad to oblige. Actually, the privilege would be mine.

Here is a sample of my work, showing before and after. I'm not yet quite done with this one, but the restoration process is well underway.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8703309

GM, Sylvain and all.

How you do dat?

Jen, sorry about your loss.

I also am on Ancestry.com and love it. I have a hand written chart of my father's side back to 1752, so I have a head start. It's amazing what I'm finding.

Hugs to all..gots ta go...DH calling.

Nancy

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 20, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8703496

What a nice group of people this seems to be! I live in Marco Island on the West Coast of Florida. We've been in the house for 3 years and had to re-do all of the landscaping, so I'm now into fun with vines, orchids, plumerias and a small veggie garden. I travel for business, but love my garden when home. I , too , lost my father several months ago to dementia and Parkinsons. I have excesses of plumerias that I shove in pots to root. I'm in the Catskills on business til August 8 and then home for 3 weeks.
So that's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8703515

We're the greatest!!!

Hap
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8703547

Aloha,

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, turns out that I am highly allergic to the eye drops I was given to use, so four times a day I was making the swelling worse. Dr said that the lens he put in is healed nicely, so thats a good thing. He gave me some steroid drops to use instead, and this morning I can already tell the difference as there is much less pain. I expect I am going to grow very large muscles or two heads though! Got my next eye scheduled for August 31st - I am just a glutton for punishment!

Pu'oke, thanks for your kind offer, I would love to take you up on that. You are doing a fabulous job on the photo you are working on - my! it must take hours.

Robert left to go home to Florida last evening so it seems very quiet here, but kinda nice to have the house to ourselves. Did you know it takes four to six weeks to get the offical death certificate here? I don't know if that is normal, or just the way things move here in the Islands. We are going to inform social security anyway, but we are not sure if they need the death certificate in order to stop deposits to Frank Sr's account...

Nancy, thanks for the info on the site. When things settle a bit I will join up and see what I can get as far as tracing some of the Cummings clan. My FIL was the youngest of 11 children, and it seems that his side of the family all had incredibly large families...I will have to be organized and not go off on tangents!

My Starfruit tree is producing by the bushels again! I took a load down to work on Monday and they all went like hot cakes - some people said they had never had tasted them, and after they took them to their units they came back for extras. I wish I knew which variety I have because those who are familiar with them tell me that they are a very sweet variety. I am planing on dehydrating a few today to see how that goes - freezing (even in a sugar syrup) was a disaster, all mushy when thawed.

I hope you all have a great day,

Jenn
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8703566

Aloha Debijaynes, and Welcome! So glad you have joined us - I will have to look up Marco Island so see where it is exactly...It sounds like you are now coming to the fun part of the garden after doing all the basic landscaping. We love photo's here - hint, hint!
Jenn.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8703610

Jen, relieved to know they found the problem with your eye. With a steroid it won't take but a few days to be ok. Everything in your garden produces an over abundance. The volcanic soil is rich beyond measure. Our local nursery sometimes has crushed lava rock for amendments and it makes a big difference. Your quilt got me inspired. For about 10 days I have been going through the stash I inherited from my mother. There were two quilt tops ready for the frame. Took them to a local quilt shop to be quilted on the long arm. There are enough pieces already cut to make at least 20 more. Between her sewing tools and mine, I could open a store.

Sylvain, I am always impressed with your talents. Seems anything you attempt comes out super good.

Welcome to our new friends. You will see this thread covers just about any subject you can think of. (oops, ended a sentence with a preposition) Mainly a way to keep up with the lives of our group. Always ready to add to the crowd.

Back to the "studio" for more quilt time.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 20, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8703784

Good morning everyone and welcome to our newcomer,

Jenn, very glad to hear your eye is healing well. It's very scarey to have something wrong.

I'm just back from a trip to town. Gave a ride to three people who are camping here and were going to town with four big gas cans - walking. They had no idea how far it would be. I dropped them at the gas station with instructions on how to find a ride home. When I went back to check they were gone so I guess it all went well. Two men from Germany and a young woman from China.

Got a gallon of freash orange juice from Araly and Manual and other groceries from Saul. Then home again with Scout the former visitor who is now permanent and loves to go for rides.

The electricity got turned on yesterday shortly after Tony paid the bill. I slept well last night. I have to say that sleeping every other night just doesn't work for me

I wanted a small paint roller for a craft project. Went to our local hardware and found just what I needed. They had only one and I snatched it up. Looked around but there were no others. Strange.

I think I need a nap. This has been a strange week and it's only Wednesday.

hugs, katie

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8704461

Katie,

It looks like you have a stressful life down there. are you OK? prayers to you.

Hap
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 20, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8704477

Right now I feel like I'm so tired I could just die. But I don't think I will. It's just 5pm and I'm wondering if I can stay awake for another couple of hours so's not to be wide awake at 2am. That's about my worst stress.

Don't know what I'd do without Tony. But with him, fresh orange juice and the pain roller I reeally,, really wanted I think I'll be fine after another goood night's sleep.

Thanks for the prayers. I can always use them.

I think seeing that the electric bill gets paid is going on Tony's list of things to handle.

I think another gac seed is bursting open. The first one, which started about ten days ago is now about two feet tall and sending out secondary shoots.

I think we need to learn about solar power. TYhe electrical power here is not very strong. Tony told me today that people here are petitioning the government to get it improved. Mine is OK for now but solar would be great. One more thing to learn about.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8704605

I'm all for solar power. Investigated it some here in our area and I can't live long enough to recoup the cost. I'm sure there would be lots of people clamoring for it if weren't for the cost. Expect the lobbyist for the power companies have something to do with that.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8705736

Hello, everyone and welcome to our newcomer, Debijaynes.

Yes, this is a great group of nice people with both our feet firmly planted on the ground. We do not waste time re-inventing the wheel, settling the world's problems or shoveling clouds.

Ah shucks, guys... my photo restoration efforts are not so extraordinary. All that comes pre-packaged in the box with the PhotoShop disks. It is a slow process because it involves hundreds of corrections. One starts by rescuing the image itself. Then, tears and scratches are removed from the picture. Then, you move on to recreate those parts of the image that are missing and remove dust particles, etc.

I have stitched back together pictures that were torn into pieces. Those turned out quite well because they were newer than the images preserved on a sheet of tin (daguerreotypes). Those are so fragile, you shouldn't even breathe on them, or take them out in the daylight. The scanner's light source doesn't hurt them, though. I have always enjoyed old pictures and saving them from oblivion seems like the right thing to do.

Here is one of my proudest achievements: a picture of my great grandmother, quite artsy for the period, wouldn't you think?

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 21, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8705766

Good morning everyone,

Hurricane Dora is moving up the west coast of Mexico so I'm checking the national hurrican center regularly. It would be wonderful to get some rain but we can do without the high winds.

I have been researching solar power. There's a lot of information out there about DIY solar power. We wouldn't get tax incentives, of course, but with the almost constant sunshine it would probably be more dependable than our local power supply. Through eBay I found a place that is doing workshops to teach people to do their own solar power. They work in poor areas. The person who has the eBay store which is affiliated with the workshop group speaks both English and Spanish.

I am so grateful for the internet.

Jenn, so glad your eye is better and it was only the dropps. That was scarey.

Sylvian, what a beautiful picture. You are right to be proud of it.

hugs, katie

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8705905

Beautiful French lady. Charming.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 21, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8706458

Katie, CFE is now required to turn back your electric meter if you have solar and feed into it. It means you don't need to have batteries to store the electricity as you can deposit during the day and withdraw at night. If your power is really unstable though, you might want to have batteries anyway to regulate it. Do you have a constant breeze where you are? Wind generators have come a long way in the last few years and are sometimes a more economical solution.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 21, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8706479

Thank you, I didn't know that. We do have fairly steady wind. I'm on a hill sort of behind a higher hill so a lot of the wind gets blocked but we will check into it. kb

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 22, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8708611

I have never been so hot! I'm in the Catskills in an office that is a metal building-- the thermostat says 88-- but that's as high as it goes! NO relief til Sunday at least-- I don't know how people are riding in this heat.
Jenn-- regarding the death certificate ( my father just passed away) Social Security is notified by the funeral home and EVERYTHING is taken care of-- even survivor benefits for my Mom. It's such a hard time, at least something is done.
I have to go out to get my cleaning and I can't wait to get into the car A/C.
DEbi
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 22, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8709303

I got an email from a woman who works at glowinc.com and they have close their offices until Monday. Sensible boss there.

It's barely gotten above 90 here which is low for us. Today we have some cloud cover. Hurricane Dora is moving north and may bring us some rain.

I was just raking leaves ina my jungle area wwhere the schotia tree, a mango tree, a lime tree, a bouranvilla and a juniper coexist and saw the first mango on a tree that Fely (Tony's wife) and I planted from seed the year I moved in. It has flowered before but dropped any fruit. This is a very large mango. It's still very green so we'll have to wait awhile to find out about flavor, fiber, etc. I'm very excited. We've spent so much time getting the basics of the house done and the trees in that the first fruit from a tree is huge.

It's very strange to have cloud cover - our weather is usually so clear. I have to check that no tools have been left outside just in case it does rain.

My clean-up of the patio is proceeding well.

hugs, katie
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2011

Post #8712207

Aloha,

Pu'oke, what a great job you did on your g grandmother's photo, what an elegant and happy person she looks to be - I can see where you got your "happy genes" from now!

Christi, it's so nice that you are completing your Mom's quilts, I can just imagine her looking over your shoulder and being so pleased that you are finishing up work that she didn't have time to do while she was on this earth. Pictures please when they come back from the quilters! I am still working on my quilt from you know where, it's a struggle to get all that fabric through the sewing machione head and the cats don't help one bit...

Katie, here's hoping that you do get a little rain from Dora, it looks as if you won't get the high winds thank goodness. How exciting to get your first fruit from your mango - you must let us know how it tastes when it is ready to eat. How long has it taken from seed to holding its first fruit?

Debi, thanks for the info, we didn't know that the funeral home would take care of the social security. We actually did receive the death certificate on Friday - way ahead of what they had told us to expect so we are finishing up the odds and ends. We will be going to the grave site next weekend to see if the marker has been placed and to place a lei...

So sorry it's been so very hot for so many of you, it's very hard on both people and gardens when it goes on week after week with no relief in sight. A metal building no less, Debi - Oh Lord! Any rain for you yet PK? Texas looks as if it has been hit very hard and I feel so sorry for all the farmers watching their cros and animals suffering.

Off to work today with another load of starfruit in tow! We are starting to have the summer rush of visitors now that school is out on the mainland so I get pretty busy with people coming and going.

I hope you all have a great day, and try to keep cool!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8713052

Hi all,

This is sort of off the thread, but it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. Seeing that are quilters here, can I assume there is an interest in antique fabric, etc. I have a bunch of antique lace, lace with beading, etc that are left over from my antiquing days.

Can anyone point me in a direction to donate these!

Thanks.

Hap
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8713084

Try the Sewing and Quilting Forum. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/sewing/all/

Still hot here. Temps were in the low 90s for a high but the humidity shot up and so there didn't seem like it was any cooler. I spent most of yesterday outside and several hours today. Went to the City Market in Kansas City and got some home grown produce from farmers. Ran a few errands then went and helped a friend dig up stuff and move stuff. Helped some more today so was outside for a good 4-5 hours. Wasn't much of a breeze out there!! I can handle heat if there is shade and a nice breeze. lol

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8713569

A glorious morning, everyone.

Nancy, I would advise you to bundle up your antique lace and vintage fabrics in small packages and sell them on E-bay. There are lots of collectors out there. Specially if the piece has something called provenance. For example, you could sell a piece of antique gingham that was allegedly used by Martha Washington to make an Easter bonnet and the curtains in her private outhouse. Fabric without provenance story: $5.00; fabric with a good provenance story: $125.00. Having me advise you: priceless!

From I can gather, not a week goes by without having the nevarious Martha Stewart covering anything from a small lampshade to the Seattle Space Needle in antique and vintage fabrics. Keep the offerings small so you get many repeat customers. There's good money in them thar fabric and lace pieces.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8713597

Sylvain, it is always so much fun reading your posts in the morning. Starts my day with a smile. :-)

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8713627

Thanks, Pepper.

Sylvain, I'm just not the ebay type. Too much mucking around with packages and running to the PO. Just lazy!

Thanks anyway.

Nancy
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8713902

Nancy, I could send you my address...just kidding. Sylvain, is correct. Big market for lace, old or new. I have a tote full and seems I can never get enough. One of my vices.

PK

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8714102

OK, Nancy. You know I love you dearly.

I'll pick up said various and sundry lace and vintage fabrics and put them up for sale on E-bay for you. I'll send you the proceeds later and we can go on a cruise, or something insanely frivolous like that. And you know me: I never kid about going on a cruise, either. In the mean time, don't let any picker's grubby paws anywhere near your precious collection.

I'm not kidding about marketing those for you. I can see it from here: "This piece of Belgian lace was owned by Mme Curie, who never got around to adding it to one of her little black dresses because she was too busy discovering radium: KaChing!", or "This exquisite piece of Madras hand-spun and hand-woven cotton is one of Mother Theresa's unfinished projects: a matching set of dish towels for her convent: KaChing!". Hey, with enough creative writing, one could sell a roll of damaged paper towels as a newly discovered section of the Dead Sea Scrolls. But I digress.

Take care.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8714232

hahahahaha

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8714266

Ok, You're on, Sylvain...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8715097

LOL Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8717645

LOL Sylvain! How funny!

And yes, Texas has been hit hard. I refuse to buy anything that eats, drinks, or breathes air...or can die. We did get a little rain yesterday.

I think I told some of you that my sister moved here from Mississippi after twenty years of being away. We are really having a great time together. Her boyfriend plays rhythm guitar so we have been enjoying his playing. I even bought one for myself! I am going to learn to play! My grandson is learning to play the bass guitar, and youngest granddaughter wants to take piano, so bought her a Casio keyboard. Both granddaughters sing, so now all we need is a full set of drums and a drummer.

Tonight we had a Karioke session in the living room and it was so much fun. DS even picked up a guitar and was strumming for a little while. He's never held one to my knowledge but I fully believe he might even learn to play also.

Music helps releave tention and that is exactly what we need all need right now!

Everyone take care of yourselves!

Aloha Y'all,
Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 27, 2011
3:17 AM

Post #8717900

Aloha to all of you,
I read all your posts and wrote something when someone was having cataract surgery. Just to allay his/her fears that the procedure is very short if uncomplicated. I am a retired Operating room nurse and did all of one particular surgeon by her requests. A Harvard Grad!!!

Anyway I want to tell you that I met Jeanne// Texas girl while playing golf in Texas. I can't even remember what city because we played in 23 Country Clubs. I am having a senior moment right now!! LOL!!!

Been to all the Islands in Hawaii and LOVE the big Island the most especially the farmers market. Love the bread fruit and i wish i could buy it here.

Our Mom has a house in Oahu but now lives in Rhode Island.

You all have a good day. It is high 90's here but managed to play 9 holes yesterday.

Belle

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8717923

FInally a little cooler here in NY! Beautiful morning--61 degrees on the car thermometer and no humidity. The only problem with all these threads is that I can't get to my garden for 2 more weeks! My husband is watering daily as the afternoon rains have just not started at home -- at least not on Marco Island. Inland has been getting rains, but no steady source for us.
I realized that several of my posts have not appeared here-- oh well-- guess it wasn't that important anyway.
The flowers here in NY are just beautiful! I'm staying at a friend's house and love all of the plants she has that I can't grow. I especially miss peonies-- one book said they were good to Zone 10-- HA! I had to baby them in Atlanta much less Florida. Hostas are off my list as well-- and I really miss those.
Guess I will pretend to work for a while-- counting the days til I get home on the 8th-- SO I can water !

Thumbnail by Debijaynes

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8718279

Belle, it was Baytown...And it was great meeting you and Roger! I had a wonderful time! Belle and her husband are a delight!

Deb have a great trip. I know you will be anxious to get home.

Sylvain, I love your restoration work!

Pepper, I am glad you survived the dust storm. Hope the wedding went great!

LouC, can you believe this weather? It is unreal. First we have snow, now a heat wave.
Please do post your pictures here. I still can't find you on fb. I really want to see your thatched roof.

Jen, hope your eyes are healing nicely.

Take care everyone!

Jeanne
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8729586

Aloha all,

Trying to catch up on the threads and I am so glad to hear that you are having a bit of fun with your obviously very musical family Jeanne. Sounds like you all enjoyed yourselves!

Debijaynes, I wonder where your threads went? Sometimes my stuff goes up into the wild blue yonder never to be seen again too. I just love the peonies too and I had a lovely "hedge" of them when we lived in Mass. I hope everything is going to be just beautiful in the garden when you get home to Marcos Island.

I have been watching the weather on the TV and Christi has had over 30 days of triple digits in a row in Texas! I bet Amanda is a little warm too! We had a 10 minute down pour of typically heavy tropical rain last Friday - it was so nice - and unusual for us at this time of year on our side of the Island. A bunch of banana's ripened up right away, I swear that rain triggers something...

I have an appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow and I am hoping he is going to tell me that the inflamation is down, it sure is finally feeling better.

My outdoor shower is finished and it is really nice to be able to wash off the black lava dust after working in the garden before I go inside. One of the guys who built the shower brings his bird to work with him and she loves a shower before they go home. I can't imagine anywhere but Hawaii that a bird comes to work with you! The guys are now working on making a new gazebo as the old one didn't stand up to the trade winds very well. This new one is very sturdy, and will probably hold up better than the house if we get a hurricane!

I hope everyone is well and holding up in this weird weather on the mainland.

Bobo in the shower

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8729588

Another one of Bobo enjoying her shower

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8729682

That is wonderful, Jenny. Still praying for the very best for your eye. Our forecast is 108-110 everyday this week. We are only a couple of days (and degrees) away from a record set in 1980. Have been breaking hi-temp records on a daily basis. Beyond all reason I continue to water everyday. Not especially for the grass or the plants anymore as they are already history because of the high air temps whether they are shaded or not. Trees are dying everywhere because we are in a prolonged drought as well. I water for the trees. I don't have enough lifetime left to regrow them. The banana plants are usually 8-10 feet tall by now. Because everything has gone dormant they are 3-4 feet tall and the huge aroids are unnaturally small. Local nursery says it is nature's way of protecting...less leaf surface...less the roots have to stress. We are staying inside with the shutter closed in an attempt to keep things bearable. This is the Texas version of a blizzard. Everyone stays inside. Hurts the local retailers enormously as no one goes out to shop.

Hope the rest of you are missing this weather episode.

Christi
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8730770

We are getting some of what you are getting but we get short breaks every now and then. That is if you consider mid 90s a break. A rain shower every couple weeks or so. I've had to give up on my veggie garden now. The tomatoes were late ripening then they started rotting on the vine then the bugs and worms got in there. So garden is done. Picked what I could today and brought them in to finish ripening. Now I am gonna move my soaker hose and put in somewhere else. Or just may take it off and just use laundry water to water rest of gardens. Two of my clematis plants may be dead. The leaves and stems are totally black. I hope the roots are alive and they come back next year.

On a good note, I went down to southern MO this past weekend on a float trip and had a great time!! Temps were actually halfway decent down there and we got a few scattered showers.

Here is my dog neice Abbie cooling off in the river.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 2, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8731514

Based on the track posted now, we may get some action from the Tropical Storm that's forming. My husband is watering every day and the irrigation system goes off 3 times a week. We are SO happy when the water bill is under $300! Last night Richard said that all of the plants were doing quite well.
Home on Monday and glad to be counting the days. The flowers are wonderful here, but I'll take my tropicals any day! Every time I leave I get into trouble when I get home with all my ideas. Plants are coming in September that I picked out in June from Hopkins Nursery in Hendry County FL. Ten miles of dirt roads to get there!! Hopefully they will have a Mast tree to include.
Now I need to start worrying about who will water when we go on vacation over Thanksgiving--Neighbors or paid? Anyone want a vacation in Marco Island?
I will post some pictures when I return-- rangoon creeper and blue green jade vine will be high on the list!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8731544

Hi Debi,

Do hope you get a mast tree; I love mine. It's about 5 years old and has survived with just a couple of problems with the Winters that we have had over the past two years.

Good luck,

Hap

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 2, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8731636

A glorious morning to everyone out there.

Christi, I was amazed when you said you were in the 108-110F every day. What a bummer. Seeing all those beloved specimens turn brown in order to protect themselves must be very hard. Jenny (Braveheartsmom)'s garden has suffered enormously from the sun in Maui, too. This is so heartbreaking. May we all get some rain soon. Yesterday was a good day here because we got 3 good-size downpours, and for that I was SO thankful.

Great news this morning: 2 of my desert roses have produced seed pods. They were ripe this morning, so I brought them into the house to sort the seed from the dandelion-like "parachutes" that carries them away with the wind when the seed pod opens. So, it was seed pod shells in the refuse bin and seeds on the other. Within minutes, the "parachutes" deployed and were rolling around on my desk in the air conditionner's breeze. I had to put them in a piece of paper to avoid chasing the seeds all over my computer station.

I'll plant them today because those seeds have almost no shelf life. I have often said I am notoriously useless with seeds. That is not quite true. I was planting seeds that had been stored too long waiting for a sucka to purchase them from an unscrupulous dealer on E-Bay. I have seen one fruitless attempt where I planted 100 adenium seeds and got 2 seedlings to sprout: not exactly what I was expecting. So, it's into the soil as soon as I am done removing those pesky "parachutes". I'll do that outside, so if any discarded "parachutes" fly away in the breeze, I won't have to worry about vacuuming the whole house to retrieve them.

I include a picture of the seeds, to make easier to understand this "parachute" business. Oy, check how dusty my computer keyboard is! I'll clean it up fortwith. I know you'll forgive me for writing with such a dusty keyboard.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8732305

Happen to catch the meter reader at the water meter. Last month I used 78,000 gallons, this month 70,000. Very surprising that it wasn't more. We are not under water restrictions just have to pay two arms and half a leg. There are mature trees dying everywhere. That is what I am trying to save at this point. No rain since February and with the brutal heat things are dying no matter how hard one tries to protect them. Very depressing as we love the outdoors and now have all the plantation shutters closed and have lowered the blinds in the sun room to try to help insulation as much as we can. Power company has been warning of possible brown outs. We had 42 continuous days of temps of 110+ in 1980. Today is the 32nd continuous day. That doesn't account for all the upper 90's days we had starting in April. If you are FB, I posted an article from The Dallas Morning News about a water reservoir in the Texas panhandle that is now totally dry but before it turned blood red. Between the weather and Washington, feeling kind of down.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 2, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8733170

We have had 2 good downpours today. I wish I could send some your way, Princess K.

I'll send prayers for rain instead.

Take care.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8733683

LouC-- That's about our monthly usage as well. Our yard is a sand that water runs right off of and at least it's nice that the plants at the bottom of the hill look great. I even have an additive to try to get the sand to absorb water. Our heat doesn't spike that high, but stays hot til late October. After yestrday's market drop, I agree, I feel down as well and am ready to get home.
I'm anxious to work on my new vegetable garden, but it will still be way too hot-- will restrain myself until I return from my September trip.
The horse show business is prospering! Last week we had over 1800 horses and though we are down this week into the 130's, considering the Pony Finals start next week and school starts in the South, we are very Happy with the numbers. For those of you interested go to HITSShows.com and see what I do.
Have a great and hopefully cool and rainy day to everyone!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 3, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8733962

I thought I heard rain last night but no such luck. I don't think Hurricane Eugene will help us. There is another storm in southern Mexico. Maybe we'll get some rain from that. We hardly ever get rain except from hurricanes and tropical storms. We're lucky that the temperatures are slightly lower than usual this year so the new trees are not boiling in the ground.

Tony is off today, getting second son Antonio settled in college 35 miles north of here. I've known Antonio since he was four so I have some of the choked-up parent/grandparent stuff going on.

I'm going to check the little plants then read for awhle.

A friend of mine in northern Ca. shares property with her mother and a disable uncle. They were unable to pay taxes and will lose the property next year. Down here most of the people are barely above the poverty line but the structure of owning homes is different so homelessness is not as much of a problem. Home may be a shack with no utilities but the bank won't come and take it away.

I was grocery shopping yesterday and saw my friend Tim who has a restaurant with his partner Lily and her sister Yolanda - all friends of mine. I give them lemons when they are in season. I told Tim about the new fruits I'm growing - he's never heard of any of them. No big surprise there as I'm working to get more food crops growing here. But it was fun watching his face as I named them.

My second gac seed has burst open and is putting up a shoot. The first one is almost two feet tall. It's a beautiful vine. You can read about it a www.gacseeds.com. I think we need a new name for it - soming in flowery Spanish.

hugs, katie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8735202

Well, I am recovering from a one day bout of flu today. It hit about midnight Monday/Tuesday and knocked me for a loop!! I am mostly recovered today though so have taken advantage of a decent day to pull my tomato plants.

Yesterday we broke heat records with high temps of 107. Heat indexes they refused to even mention because it was so hot. But a cool front is working it's way thru and our highs were in the 90s today. Rain to hit later tonight and tomorrow.

A pic of the Elk River taken from the canoe I was in on Saturday. Was on a float trip over the weekend and had a great time!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8735484

110 today. We purchased a smart thermostat from Texas Utilities almost a year ago. Signed something that said we would allow them to turn our AC off in the event we were in dire straits. Well, it is here. Today the red light came on. Looked in the manual and discovered during high usage the AC would be on 30 minutes and off 15 intermittently until the crisis passed. All back on tonight. I would rather have do it this way than to risk having a total loss of power. Can't figure out how they turn off the compressor and nothing else on my property. Veeerrry smart thermostat. Also, they replaced the meter and send me an email once a week with a graph showing my daily usage. Can't do much about it as long as it is staying 85 at night and 110 in the daytime. Today was 33rd consecutive day above 100. No rain since February. I think I have said that before...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8735513

Hope you guys get a break soon. As in before Fall and Winter arrives...
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 3, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8735540

Christi - I never thought I would suggest that you come visit me to cool off!! That's what our summers are usually like. I thought today was about 101 but the thermometer said low 90's. Very humid and no breeze. I feel like a fish out of water - gasping for air. Not even enough energy to flop around. I should knock on wood - we haven't had any blackouts for a couple of days.

There's a hurricane coming up the west side of Mexico. We keep hoping for some rain but we've had only a few drops - literally.

I've got one of my little cherimoya trees in a pot under where the a/c drips. It's doing well.

Jenny bear the dog has such thick fur - she like to lie under the a/c. I leave it on extra time for her. I lost a dog to heat stroke so I'm protective.

The weather is exhausting. I feel as if I'll never again have any energy.

I think my first gac plant has flower beds on it but I don't have any other plants and it takes a male and a female to get fruit. Patience. Other seeds are sprouting.

Hang on, folks.

hugs, katie
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8735687

Glad everyone is OK. It is HOT here. Trying to stay in as much as possible.

We are all OK. Most of the plants are ok. I need to water tomorrow evening.

Youngest granddaughter will be here on Friday. She just started piano lessons on Monday. She loves music and I'm sure will do well. The two oldest have started their practices with drill and band for their High School. Football season will be here soon.

Dearest sister made Mother's recipe for an Oatmeal cake. It was sooooo good. She is such a good cook. We went over Monday night for dinner. She made a ham that was so tender and juicy, and not salty at all, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, and corn salad. It was all delicious, and then cake today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all ate Chinese at PF Chang's near The Galleria in Houston last Sat. It was sooo good also. We have been having alot of fun!

Try to stay cool!

Take care of yourselves,

Jeanne
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8736348

Jeanne, so glad to hear you are getting out. Great that your sister is with you again.

Katie, Seems like the whole planet is on fire. (prelude to hell)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8737379

We've cooled off some here but are still in the 90s. Was supposed to get some rain today but it went around us and we got a few drops here and there. I was sooo disappointed. lol.

Can't wait till tomorrow. Bought some thresher shark steak at work today to try for dinner tomorrow. My dad is freaking because he could smell it when I came home and it smelled like fish. lol. The only fish he will eat is crappie. Hope it turns out good.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8737471

Paper reports we are in the worst drought/heat wave on record. 112 today. There is not enough water. Trees are dying everywhere. Feel like the apocolypse is near.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8738579

Aloha everyone,

Just trying to catch up on all the posts, my goodness you all have active lives compare to mine!

Debi, most interesting about the horse shows - what beautiful animals, I would love to see the parade...do you ride as well as organize everything? I wonder if you got your mast tree? I had never heard of a mast tree before, thanks for posting the pics Hap. What pretty, fresh looking trees they are, I haven't seen any of those here.

Jeanne, I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying having you sister close by, it sounds as if you have a good time together - just what is needed after the sadness of loosing your Mom.

Amanda, what fun you must have had on the Elk river, and I swear Abbie has a grin on her face! The river looks lovely, so calm and serene. Hope you are over the flu - what a weird time of year to be stricken, I think flu is always worse in the summer...How was that thresher shark, did it taste good? I expect it had meaty flesh like most shark - did your Dad try it?

Katie, what is GAC? I tried to follow the link but it just took me to the home page and you had to sign in...

Christi, my heart breaks for you with that awful, unrelenting heat. No end in sight as far as we hear on the weather channel. I don't usually hope for tropical storms but in this case...I understand that Texas would need something like 29 inches of rain to get back to normal. Hopefully all your large old trees have roots deep enough and will suvive.

Pu'oke, great pic of the seeds flying around! Let us know when they germinate...lots of the tropical plants here have to be sown right away in order to germinate, so when we try something new (to us) and like it, I have a pot standing at the ready to shove the seeds into.

One of the mango trees is putting out new blossom, hopefully we will get some fruit later on in the year. It hasn't been a great year for mango although we had more that enough for our needs and plenty to dehydrate to send to the kids, I think the rain came at the wrong time this year, the mango always seem to do better when we have a dry winter...everything is in suspended animation during the summer months, not that it is very hot - only in the high eighties - but the sun is burning hot, being so far south. Like Christi's garden, many of the plants leaves go very small during the summer and look as if they are struggling.

Looks as if it is going to be a pretty day here, sun is just getting up and shining on the West Maui mountains...

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 5, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8738612

Oooops. It's www.gac-seeds.com - I forgot the dash. It's a fruit from southeast Asia. I'm told the taste is rather bland but the vitamins are high and it's a bright red color. The site has some interesting information. The first seed has taken off like a rocket in this heat and it sound like it will be fine in our winter, such as it is.

The man I got the gac seeds from also sent seeds for another plant. I always like that. Though I have so many seeds I often can't find what I'm looking for.

Tony and I are both kind of dragging as our summer continues. We're grateful that it's not quite as hot as usual but we're still dragging.. My one mango is still ripening as are several papayas.

Several of the goldenberry plants are starting to take off. The flame tree we started from seed last year is probably eight feet tall. Tony is careful about keeping it watered. Two big flowers on one of the dragon fruit plants.

Must check the gac seeds and maybe take a nap. Dang, it's hot.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8738674

Jenn, did you have the procedure on your other eye yet?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8739216

Well, the shark was a bust. lol. We marinated it in teriyaki sauce, my dad grilled it and my mom and I ate some then gave up. When it got cold it got fishy tasting and not very good. lol. My dad would only grill it for us and that was so the smell didn't hang around the house. lol. My old cat ate some and was in hog heaven. lol

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8739743

SO sorry about the shark-- haven't had any in a while but a restaurant on the island grilled a WHOLE one and it was a hit.
Actually we don't do parades-- we have show jumping like the Olympics( quite a few Olympians here!) and classes from LEadline all the way up to 5foot+++ jumps. It's quite fun to watch and next month we have our Million $$$ Grand Prix. I'll fly back up for that. I do a little of everything-- office, judge, steward (rules) so it's fun-- but long hours.
This heat seems to never end. My husband said we got a great rain last night-- so not as much watering today.
Wish we could have Mangoes-- we are both VERY allergic to them. Richard had a reaction from them several years ago that lasted for 4 months. After going to the doctor, I finallycleared it up with Listerine and Vicks Vapo Rub.
Happy Saturday!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8740586

Christi, I am very tired of the heat! But recent circumstances is helping me deal with it. As much as I've fought, and tried to worm out of it...looked for other jobs, I received an offer from Continental United to move to Chicago. So when we started griping today, I said next winter we'll be wishing for this. I am getting a healthy raise. I am not planning on living there forever, and am not selling the house. Brian and I went to Chicago a couple of weekends ago to check it out. I am pleased to say the most memorial thing was how friendly folks are there. Anyway, you know I'm dreading wind swept frozen sleet snowcicles, but it is what it is. I just signed the offer this week and I've already started cleaning out the closets, made arrangements for the deck plants. Not moving until May, but I know my limitations and am using every moment to get this place ready. I'm making lemonade out of lemons, but make no mistake...I'm ready to remove the lemon tree entirely!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8740632

Wow Randy what a big change that will be but you have a good attitude and you have made a prudent decision. In these times a job in hand is worth the world. Continental obviously values your contribution. Hope you find a sunny place with plenty of windows for that lemon tree. :-)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8740651

Oh, Gee. Sometime between now and then you absolutely HAVE TO COME TO MY HOUSE. My garden is terrible. But I am thankful that I have a cool, quiet place to wait out this weather phenomenon. You have lived a great life around the planet and I know this will be another blessing in the long run. With all the great friends you have in Houston, feel sure they will fight over who might rent your home and keep it pristine for your return. With the financial world in such straits, getting a raise is unheard-of. Obviously, your talents are greatly valued. Your friendship means the world to me and thanks to the internet, we shall not part. Vio Con Dios
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 6, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8740703

I guess that means your visit to me in Mexico will be delayed. Glad to hear people in Chicago are still friendly. I lived in Washington, D.C for awhile and really missed the friendliness of the midwest.

We are having thunder!!!

Time for my naked rain dance.

hugs, katie

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8740825

rj,

That sounds great. My DD lives there and I am there 2-3 times a year. I would be great to connect. Let me know to what part you are going. She lives on the Gold Coast near the lake.

Take care and hope to see you.

Hap
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8740954

Well, you will definitely hate winter but the rest of the time you will like it I think. And since it is the Midwest of course people are nice!! lol. We are known for being nice...usually. lol. Glad you are making the most of it!!

Oh, one thing you must do this winter is go sledding!! That is the most fun you can have during winter. Brings out your inner kid. lol.

Deb, one of the meat guys I work with also tried the shark. He reaction was the same as mine. Not bad while hot but once it gets cold it's not so good. He also said black tip shark is better. I think I'm done with shark. But I can say I've tried it. lol
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 7, 2011
1:23 AM

Post #8741290

Sharks are excellent for fish cakes.

It is cheap here but I made a mistake of not removing the skin not realizing that it is sand paper!!!

Belle

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 7, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8741333

Oh Yes! Black tip is much better--forgot that oh so important part.
Randy your move sounds great-- I remember going to Chicago when I worked in the real world. I was there one January and didn't thaw out until supper-time with a healthy shot of Jack Daniel's! Good luck-- think of the wonderful lilacs!
Rain here in the Catskills, but not enough to ruin the footing , thank Goodness! We have a 100K grand Prix today-- and lots of people coming to watch.
Happy Sunday!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8741428

...and peonies, Randy can grow peonies when he moves. SIgh...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8741631

I have visited his beautiful garden in Houston. So many fantastic tropicals. He has a touch that is pure magic.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8742955

It will be an adventure, one I wouldn't have mind missing. I do have a good friend there who moved there from Houston a couple of years ago, so he is happy. After a year I will be looking towards Houston.
Hap, I will probably be living around that area ..Near North, although Gold Coast is a bit pricy, but there are plenty of comprable neighborhoods near by I'm looking at.
I was thinking the same thing Christi, need to visit.
Katie, on the bright side, I will have less responsibility in Chicago and more time for travel.

I've already scoped out my place to visit in the winter when I'm missing plants, at the Lincoln Park green house. That, and lurking on the threads!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 7, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8742962

Less responsibility and more money. Sounds good to me. kb And you can plant daffodils.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8743041

Randy, check out my last album on Facebook. Will make you cry and we have had 2 more weeks of Hxxx since. The acubas leaves are burned black. All four of the Japanese Maples are 3/4 crisp. The tropicals are struggling. Actually, so are the human beings. We have two smart dogs. They go outside for their business and then right back in. We will have to talk on the phone so I can get the details. Maybe with the opportunity to travel more, you can just hope a plane to Dallas more often. Always, always welcome. Can you take your cat?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8743933

Hello, everyone.

RJ, I wish you all the best in your move, although there is still a good while to go before it actually happens. Uprooting yourself and moving to a different clime with a new job, a new home, etc. I clearly remember that from when I moved from the North Pole to South Florida. A lot of preparations and planning are involved. I wouldn't go through it unless it became absolutely inevitable. May it come to pass as seemlessly as possible.

Pepper, when I read about your shark having an odor, red flags popped up in my mind. Odoriferous fish should stay with the seller, not accompany you home. And there is something about shark that causes them to somehow not stay fresh very long. A friend of mine who catches sharks once in a while here says: catch it before 4PM and cook it before 7PM; after that, forget about it. I love to cube it about 1 1/2 inch size, marinate it in italian salad dressing with fresh lime juice added for an hour or 2 in the fridge. I then make kabobs and grill it on the BBQ. It's delicious that way.

We got quite the downpour yesterday, even by Florida standards. The lawn and the garden needed it really bad. We are supposed to get more showers and storm this afternoon. I'm all for it.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8745376

Once we rinsed it the odor was gone. Tasted decent til it got cold then it was only good for cat food. lol. It was worth trying though. But I will never try poi. That doesn't even stand a chance with me. lol

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8745385

Hi everyone,

I have never had shark, but have had poi. Think I'll stick with a shark.

Hap

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8746230

A glorious day to you all.

Now, don't you mainlanders start badmouthing poi!

Poi is a noble food that has sustained the hawai'ians for generations upon generations. I went to my first luau on Maui on my 52nd birthday and I had a blast. The food, the show, the singers, the dancers, the music, the setting: fabulous. Included in dinner was poi and I tasted it. If ever there is a food that can be classified as an acquired taste, poi is it. At first, I wasn't fond of it at all.

However, it was also included daily in the hotel's buffet. Quite a few restaurants included a side dish of poi. I tried it every time it was available and all of a sudden, it grew on me and I will defend poi to my dying breath. We are not used to the colour, texture, or taste of poi but it is great food. I ask you: is this the face of someone who has been eating vile food? I think not.

Take care.
Sylvain

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8746254

Knowing your penchant for gourmet, I respect your opinions, Pu'ole. I, too, have tasted poi and liken it to wallpaper paste. However, getting a child to eat broccoli (or even an unnamed president) is a trick. An acquired taste as they say.

Another scorching day ahead. I have cabin fever.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8746483

Aloha everyone,

Randy, best of luck with your move - at least you won't have to face this coming winter in Chicago if your move isn't until next May. I expect you are going to be looking for a house to rent so that you can keep on gardening...

Sorry Debi, I though it said on your link that there was a parade as well as the jumping...I must have misread it! I hope the Grand Prix went well - are you off home soon? I am looking forward to some pics of your place.

Christi, hope you are still hanging in there - I believe you have broken records now for heat. So sad, and not a thing you can do about it, although Pu'oke did have some luck with his rain dance and his purple thong! Although Katie's naked rain dance didn't seem to work, she only got thunder! No, I haven't had the other eye done - I am saving that treat up until the 31st of August LOL!

Sorry the shark was so yucki Amanda - at least you tried it and the cats had a feast!

Now, all of you who don't like poi! When you live in Hawaii and you are invited to family luau's you have to eat poi, and at least pretend you like it because someones "Auntie" will have made it with great pride. Pu'oke is right, after a while you get used to it and quite enjoy it - it's not the taste so much as the texture that takes getting used to. Breadfruit is also served frequently - the staff of life here! A five pound bag of potatoes cost $7.00 + here, rice is cheap - $11.00 for a 25 lb bag. Few locals eat potatoes, much prefering sweet potatoes, rice and breadfruit - poi just rounds out the meal! In the Polynesian culture big is beautiful, and if you are a skinny little runt like me you are not considered to be an attractive woman!

Off to pay bills (ugh!) and then to do some trimming in the garden before it gets too warm - have a nice day everyone!

Jenn

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8746616

110 AGAIN TODAY...and tomorrow and the next day, etc.,etc.etc.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8746818

I got a kick out of the McDonald's in Hawaii, they had poi on the menu. A new kind of fast food????
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8747042

Spam is on the menu too! Reminds me of the old Monty Python show - spam and eggs, spam, spam and eggs, etc.,etc!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8747078

LOL, I did not know spam came in different flavors. We were in a grocery store in Hilo when we saw a young couple discussing which to get.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8747172

After heart surgery in 1973 my dad was in intensive care for 36 days. Then to a room for about 20 more days in the hospital. My mom asked what he wanted to eat when he could finally come home. His answer: Fried Spam. Didn't take much to satisfy these survivors of the Great Depression, WW1 and WW11. From my upbringing, I like fried Spam as well. Can't believe how expensive it has become!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8747548

I won't touch Spam with a ten foot pole. I had it as a kid and didn't like it then either. But I will eat that before I eat poi. lol.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8748252

Hi, all.

Having lived most of my life in the frozen expanses of Canada, I have heard of Spam. However, I have never eaten it, or even seen it in person. There are 2 good reasons for that:
a) The product was not available up there at the time and I am not sure if it is available right now, and
b) We was poor. Such processed foods cost money we didn't have. My grandmother, armed with her trusted hand-cranked meat grinder, could turn 2 pounds of chicken livers, a stick of butter, a shot of cognac and a few cloves garlic into a pâté that rivaled ambrosia. We was poo', but we ate good food.

Now that I have written about poi yesterday, I want some. Yeah right: good luck on finding that in the Delray Beach area. I might as well be looking for a genuine French loaf of bread with a real crust on it. Oh, I'll survive... I guess.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8748281

We were past poor, the reason there was always a can of Spam in the pantry. Spam, home fries and pork&beans could fill an empty spot in your tummy when things were tough.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 10, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8748366

Oh-- so much to cover! Finally home and am so glad. Much cooler than NY!
Yes there was a parade-- I forgot! I'm stuck in the office on Sundays and forgot what a fun day it is! If I could figure how to send the press release, I would-- some grat jumping and parade pictures.
Richard took wonderful care of all the plants. Several Mandevillas did not look good when I left-- took one from it's pot today and will just let the other sit in the ground. My blue green jade vine is happily twining up the plumeria, and the rangoon creeper is blooming happily as well. The snake skin wound thru the creeper gives me the creeps though( couldn't resist!)
We are about to get a morning shower, but it will take a long time to get back to normal water wise. The jade plant at the front door looks a little fade-y but other than normal wear and tear, things are good. The hoyas look great and the orchids are attaching themselves with gusto!
What a week with the market-- I'm almost afraid to turn the TV on and I'm going to stop checking my I phone for updates.
Is poi like grits-- either love it or hate it? I must admit, I now LOVE shrimp and grits! But for Breakfast-- YUCK YUCK!
Anyone out there have a vanilla orchid? Mine is draped around a weeping hibiscus and needs some support -- but we're afraid we might break it.
Stay cool-- if possible.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8748585

A pot of good grits call for a stick of butter and a cup of heavy cream. Of course anything with all that would be yummy. :-)

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8748760

Does that work for poi? LOL

Hap

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8749416

Nancy, I wouldn't think of adding cream and butter to poi. Poi should stand on its own. I have a tendency to prefer 2-finger poi. One-finger poi is too gooey for my uneducated taste. Three-finger poi is too runny. 2-finger poi: perfection on 2 impeccably clean fingers. It's all finger-licking good, as the colonel would say. I mean... who, in his right mind, would prepare fried chicken in a white suit with a shoestring tied around his neck as a bowtie? But I digress.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8750192

I love how you can offer another point of view, Sylvain.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 13, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8753531

Good morning! A dark thunderery morning here-- was afraid to do water aerobics with all the thunder this AM!

Anyone have an ylang ylang vine? Mine looks good, but not growing as strongly as I would like. I'm thinking not not enough sun. Any ideas from the group?

Am really ready to be working in the yard but it's way too hot and the mosquitos are still like vicious sparrows! Most things have grown really well even in all this heat.
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

August 13, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8754211

@ Debijaynes, ylang ylang vine needs lots and lots of sun. i got 2 specimens growing nearby in our 110F summer heat full day. Young plants do need afternoon shade. Keep it under watered for better fragrance, this is my personal experience.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 14, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8755856

My ylang is under some Christmas palms since it was so young and tender when placed. So now I'm thinking it needs to go out in full sun--planted against??? Any ideas. I may need to put it up against the fence with some protection so the dogs don't bother it.The blue green jade vine is doing very well under the plumeria and should reach the top of the tree by the middle of September.

On a cheery note, I was playing with the bower vine yesterday and looked down on some leaves to see a (what I think is) pygmy rattlesnake! I am not amused!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8756551

OMG! That would be my very last time to go outside. I am terrified of even a grass snake.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8756555

Can you guys tell me what is wrong with my plumeria? It had leafed out some then I noticed this the other day. I have it in the ground til I either can get in the shed without the spider, who is bigger than my palm, being around or get a pot deep enough for it. I hope I can save it since I got it from Jenn and it's the red/yellow one.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8756556

Side view.

Thumbnail by pepper23

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8757480

I got one from Jen at the same time, Amanda. It is in a pot (miracle grow potting soil) and has leaved out even in this horrible heat. I do have it in the shade because of so many other things being cooked by the sun's rays. Maybe Jenny will pop in.

I water all of my plumes pretty heavy everyday. They are all in pots that drain well so they are not standing in water.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8758340

I was gonna put them in pots but the ones I had avaliable weren't deep enough so I stuck them in the ground then forgot to go get a deeper pot. lol. Plus a spider that I don't like has run me out of the garden shed. lol.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 16, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8759113

I like the spider story! When we moved into this house I was so excited that it had an additional 1 car over-sized garage! Right out the back door and convenient to the back yard. I found WONDERFUL pictures of Martha Stewart's garden work -house on her property-- had the painters paint the inside. planned on ceiling fans to augment the cross ventilation-- oh my--what plans! UNTIL... I opened the door one day and found THREE snake skins inside. Well- that was that! Everything is towards the front so that I can literally open the door, reach in and grab. After seeing the pygmy rattler the other day, I'm heading to Naples Fertilizer for snake repellent for the entire property!
Had some thunder showers this AM and the forecast is for that kind of day! Great! I'm going to take some more pictures when the mosquitoes aren't too bad and pas them on. Was ut taking pictures for another thread (hawaiian sunset vine) and was eaten alive--in the middle of the day. Did get brave and plant a pineapple sage on Sunday-- it's just too hot!

Thumbnail by Debijaynes

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8759237

Yikes, be sure to apply that repellent from the middle out, A friend put some around the perimeter of their home and still found many snakes under the house, he decided he had trapped them in there.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8759264

yuk! And I thought Texas was the worst with snakes.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8764680

Hello everyone,

Trying to get caught up with all of your news...

It's been a rough week around here - Frank had hernia surgery last Thursday and was in a lot of pain for days afterwards. He is feeling much better now but still can't walk very comfortably. Talk about having a caged tiger in the house! He went back to work yesterday (against Dr's orders) and is a much happier man, although he had to take my car because he didn't think he could manage the stick shift pedal. Now he is restless because he can't go back into the ocean until his staples are taken out on the 24th LOL!

I see that Christi is still having horribly hot temps, with no relief in sight - did you get any rain the other day?

Amanda, I have no idea what could be wrong with the plummie, could it be that the top of it got too wet with rain? It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks rotted...I can send more if you want, just let me know.

Debi, it must be nice to be back home - your garden looks so neat and tidy! You would all have a fit if you saw my unkempt jungle. I haven't grown Ylang Ylang vine (I have a ylang ylang tree) but I believe they grow to monsters and need a sturdy support. Blue jade vines are so lovely - I managed to kill mine easily once I took it out of the pot and planted it into the ground, I think it probably didn't get enough water or something.

Today is State Day here in the Islands. Not sure how many people will be celebrating, but Frank is off work for a three day weekend. I noticed camp sites being set up along some of the more remote beaches last evening which is how many folks spend three day weekends. You can smell the hot dogs cooking (or maybe it's Spam!) all day long.

I have finally finished the Beast, and I am so glad to have it finally done! This morning I am going to run up a small quilt for one of the stupid cats. Hobo was nothing but a nuisance while I was trying to work on the Beast, so he is going to have one of his own to lounge on - I have scraps of fabric, batting and backing left over and I don't think he will be too fussy about the pattern!

I hope everyone has a lovely day...

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8764727

WOW, that is some quilt. Are you keeping it?

Nancy
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8764862

Jen, the quilt is magnificent. My mother left two quilts totally pieced but not quilted. One was still in the frame. Just got them back today from the quilt shop. Had both of them finished.

Sorry about Frank. Tell him Dr. Gibson said not to get in the water too soon and get an infection. That would be worse.

No rain. We are now breaking records for night time temps. Haven't gone below 80 in weeks and it is doing a number on the plants and the people. Sooo many dead trees everywhere. This is the worst drought/heat wave in our entire history. No relief in sight.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8765499

On the way home from Illinois today (funeral) I saw a bank sign that showed temps were 97. It's been awhile since we've been this hot!!

I haven't looked at the plumie in awhile. Last I saw it was still green, just the top looked wrong.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 26, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8778041

Hi Everyone - a quick note to let you know i"M ok. wE'VE HAD BLACKOUTS AS LONG AS 18 HOURS, ALONG WITH MY PUTER DEAD AND ONE A/C DEAD AND THE OTHER DYING. pLUS VARIOUS OTHER STUFF. wE HAVE HAD TWO RAINS - NOT A LOT OF HELP AND THEY'VE ADDED TOT HE HUMIDITY BUT THEY ARE MUCH BETTER THAN THE NOTHING THAT cHRISTI IS HAVING.

tONY CONTINUES TO BE A HUGE HELP. hIS SECOND SON aNTONIO HAS STARTED COLLEGE AND i'VE BEEN SCOURING MY KITCHEN FOR THINGS FOR HIS APARTMENT. i'LL BE LOOKING FOR A MICROWAVE FOR HIM WHEN IN IN cA. IN A WEEK OR TWO..

Ooops, I hit the shift key by mistake.

We are hot and sweaty with another two months of hot weather to go. It's hard for everyone, people born and raised here also suffer.

More later, I'm only half awake.

Hope everyone is doing well.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8778066

Glad you checked in, Katie. Just check the Northwestern forum and they are preparing for Irene. We don't have hurricanes but we sure as the dickens get our share of tornadoes. Nature is on a rampage. The power company has been turning our AC off for 15 minutes, on for 45 minutes. We got a new meter and thermostat last year. Agreed to the plan to keep from having total blackouts. The power grid here is being taxed to the maximum. Wish this heat would just go away.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8778067

sorry, make that Northeast forum

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8778201

Irene went by in the Bahamas yesterday. We got one good gust of wind with rain falling sideways and a 45-min power failure. I'm glad it's gone, but it doesn't seem it will veer right and get lost in the Atlantic. All those people in the Carolinas and northward will have to put up with that.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8778714

Glad you didn't get much from Irene Sylvain. Just enough to help a bit. :~)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 29, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8783103

We got a third light rain. Grateful for whatever we get. Still very hot and humid. The electrician came out and repaired the one I thought was dead and helped the one one that is dying. Cost for home visit and repairs - $25. Love Mexican labor prices.

We've had a lot of branches blow down, long with a ton or so of leaves so we're doing lots of clean-up. We are lucky to have the arroyo on three sides so we can dump the organic trash where we are building up the soil.

stay safe, all. No hurricanes on our horizon.

katie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8784792

Good morning everyone.

Gray skies and looking sad here this morning, but it will only be scattered showers and thunder storms; nothing to worry about. The plants need it. My 150 or so adenium seedlings are developing nicely and fattening a bit. Go babies, go.

I also need to fertilize everything again. With all the rain we have had in the last month and the sandy nature of our soil, I guess every molecule of plant nutrient has been washed away clean by now.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8784811

Finally. Rain is our forecast for the weekend. Only 20% but I'll take those odds over 0%.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8785735

Hope you get that rain Christi!!!

My adenium is blooming right now. I need to get a pic of it. Now if my hibiscus would open up I would be escatic!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8785842

took the rain out of the forecast...sigh...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8801718

We got a little rain the other day, but are still down about 30 inches per the news. No rain in sight here either. My front yard is totally burnt. The back is OK.

We made a little rock garden / waterfall just off of the patio. I scrounged up plants from all over the yard to put around it. I just love it. The little plumerias I grew from seed from my big yellow one. They are now three years old. They might bloom next year. I will enjoy it until the first freeze, then everything will either have to be covered or put up for the winter.

It has been cooler here. It has been in the low 60's am and in the 90's pm. Finally!

Here is a picture of my rockgarden / waterfall. Christi, I still haven't seen your hut!!!!

Jeanne

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 10, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8801984

Hi, everyone.

Texasgal, that is one nice rock garden. I have plumeria seeds I picked up recently. I should really plant them.

Rainy season here in South Florida is really earning its name. It's sunny like all get-out in the morning. Then puffy white clouds move in around lunch time. Around 2:30, we start hearing thunder rumbling in the distance and dark, ominous clouds replace the pretty puffy white clouds. By 3PM, it is raining buckets, with lightning and thunder. It only lasts 20 or 30 minutes. Everything gets drenched and the sun returns by 6PM. I am not complaining. We had a touch of drought at the beginning of summer. That was no fun. I wish I could send some of you suffering gardeners a share of the rain we are getting.

Take care.
Sylvain.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8802013

You are so lucky-- you get more rain on the East Coast then we do on the West Coast-- I am SOOOO Jealous!!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8804123

Aloha everyone,

Just trying to catch up on everyone's news after being MIA for a couple of weeks...

Christi, I hope you have had some rain by now - I know that your temps are down somewhat, but the 90's is still hot! So sad that all your trees are dying and more wild fires are raging, it;s been a tough year for Texans.

Jeanne, your patio and rock garden are just lovely. Are you sure you don't live in Hawaii? Your garden looks so Island typical with the 'nana's, schefflera, orchids, etc, etc! Thanks for posting the pictures, I really enjoyed them.

Sylvain, (or anyone else) I have some seed pods on my Plumeria (Maui Rose, I think) I am not sure when they are ready to pick as they always seem to drop off the tree and germinate while my back is turned...anyone want some?

My eye surgery went well this time. It only took 15 mins compared to the 45mins the left eye took, and the healing seems to be coming along well - it sure makes a difference to have drops that I am not allergic to! Our dd, Laurie came out to stay and helped us so much around the garden. She cleared 5 truckloads of palm fronds from the edges of the garden and even tackled the bougie's (my most hated job) and got them more under control, despite being scratched up all over. We still have one truck load to get to the green waste yet, but the place looks loads better!

The star fruit are still ripening by the bucketful - I brought some into work today and cut a plateful up for visitors to try. It's strange that most people don't know what a ripe starfruit tastes like, I imagine they are too fragile to ship to the mainland although I am sure you folks in Florida can buy them when they are orange/yellow. With the samples out on the counter they are going like hot cakes!

Well I am supposed to be working!

Later,

Jenn
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8804383

Thanks Sylvain and Jen! I'm trying to make it look as much like Hawaii as possible! I still don't have my hut, it's still too hot to be out there working on it. It's supposed to be 99 with no rain in sight. I need to water tomorrow. Our Mexican Fan Palms need cut back badly but I was trying to wait so we could use them for the hut.

Jen, so glad your surgery went well. I pray your healing will continue to do well also.

Jen you are so sweet to take your visitors fruit! How nice! Yes I would love some plumeria seeds! Thanks!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8804517

Hi, everyone.

It's so great to read that your eye surgery went well, Jenn.

I went to Home Depot yesterday to buy a large (24 inch diameter) pot. Oy, the price on those big pots! I'm going to have to check Craig's list. Maybe someone is trying to unload some large clay pots on Craig's list. One never know, does one?

I could get a plastic pot ressembling terracota for $22.00. Then, I noticed that a lot of them didn't withstand shipping so well and had broken rims. Things didn't bode well. For $10, I could buy a slightly imperfect clay pot. It turned out that the imperfection consisted of tiny hairline cracks on the clay's surface inside the pot around the drainage hole. Cracks or not, the pot still rang true when gently hit with my knuckle, so I came home with what has to be the world's dirtiest clay pot. It was covered in a black dusty substance that may have been soot. My hands were filthy, my white T-shirt will become car-washing rags. I hope that black stuff washes off my shorts. Florida is no place for big boy pants in the summer. But I got a great pot and the philodendrons I'll put in there are already lined up for potting this morning.

We haven't received any rain in the last 2 days. I hope we get some today. I don't want to have to look at brown and dying stuff again. We had enough of that at the beginning of the summer. And I'll say a few prayers for all my gardening friends who are living on the dry side.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8804973

Good Morning. Today is Mike's birthday and we are doing the usual. Nothing. Had some friends over last night to watch the ballgame between Dallas and New York. Not usually interesting for me but the head coach of the Jets has a twin brother that is the defensive coach for Dallas. Played a close game and most of all showed that the people cannot be bullied into not gathering in large numbers. A feeling of patriotism ruled the day. Now if only some of that would rub off on the people in Washington, DC.

Jen, relieved that the eye procedure was successful and not as worrisome as the first time. We still have no rain and none in sight, Had a slight reprieve for about a week with temperatures in the 80's. That is over. 98 yesterday and predicted to be over 100 today. TEXAS IS STILL ON FIRE and the likelihood of more fire is very high. High temps, humidity in the teens, and winds 15-20 mph makes for a boiler maker condition. The paper is posting hints for the old growth trees everyday. Warning that our landscape will be changed for the next 100 years. Everyone is very paranoid. Smelled smoke yesterday and discovered it was a neighbor getting his barbecue ready. Even that is a hazard.

Oh, Sylvain, if only you could send us a big round of rain.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8805006

Jeanne, will send some seeds! I need to find out when to pick them - the seed pods look ready to me but haven't yet split open. Anybody know?

Christi, so sorry that life has been so very difficult this summer with no end in sight yet. What a horrible thought that the landscape will be changed forever because of the extremities you all have had this year, it's heartbreaking.

Happy, Happy Birthday to Mike - please give him a big bear hug from me!

Great buy on the pot Sylvain, I hope you managed to clean up okay!

Early morning here and I am looking out of my window at a beautiful big bright moon hanging over the sea - it's gorgeous! Have a good day, everyone!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8805107

The moon has been gorgeous.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8805190

Jen, I would wait until the stat to split. If you have an old panty hose you can put over them when they burst they will not spill out. Thanks so much!

Jeanne

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 12, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8805411

Sylvain-- I have had great luck at estate sales and demolition sales finding massive pots-- 5 for $100 was one deal this spring. Check out the paper and look for high end sales and you may be able to save some bucks. I am overrun with small orchid pots if you need any of those and would be over this way. I hoard the big pots though!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2011

Post #8805767

Been pretty busy here!! Had to work on Saturday then go meet friends to go see The Help. Great movie by the way. Lots of laughs and tears. Got home around midnight then had to get up again at 3am to get ready to hit the road at 5am. Yesterday was my neice's birthday (7 years old) and we drove to Des Moines, IA to help her celebrate. Took my nephew who woke up again when it was daylight. I tried to go back to sleep and he wouldn't let me. Kept yanking my arm and telling me it wasn't dark so I can't sleep!! Grrrr... He's only 4 but I will get my payback somehow. LOL. We both slept the whole way home though. lol.

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8806126

Amanda, what a sweet auntie! With him only four you will have plenty of opportunity to "get even" later...Take some really cute pictures NOW and save them for future use...like when he is dating...haha...Glad you enjoyed your movie...

Sylvain, good luck with finding your pots. I hoard pots also, but all of mine are small ones. Anybody in Texas need pots? I did have someone give me some very large plastic ones for a very good price a few years ago.

It is back in the three digits here and is forcast to be so for the next two days...unreal.
I did get to water this evening in the back and then tired out as usual.

Jeanne
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8832274

We finally got rain. It has started to cool off some!

Hope everyone is fine!

Where is everyone? Sylvain did you go on another cruiz?

Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 2, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8832515

Hi, everyone.

I hope that you are all fine. It no longer rains sideways every day here and the temperatures have started falling by a few degrees. I hope that fall brings rain and bearable temperatures to all of you beset by 3-digit temps and severe drought. At the beginning of summer, most canals were very low. Some of them went completely dry. Many artificial ponds suffered the same fate. Then came the daily rains and everything is back to normal. I have only had to water the "shade garden" under the car port, where no rain ever reaches the pots.

Jeanne, I have not been on another cruise. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will be sailing on my 5th annual Guys' Cruise on January 17th, for 10 days. Oh, and I have read that because of hard times, the light at the end of the tunnel has burned out and it won't be replaced.

Let's revive this thread, please. I so enjoy reading you all.
Take care!
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8832610

Went to Stephenville Texas yesterday with our BFF (kwel talk) for a short day trip. Mike and our son went to Tarleton college there and wanted to check out the old Jake & Dorothy's famous chicken fried steak. Not too bad, but you know how memories are...it was always better back when. Enjoyed the day but it is dairy country and sad to see all the pasture land burned to a crisp as well as dry ponds, creeks, rivers and dead trees everywhere. I don't know how they can possibly predict this far ahead, but, "they" are saying another 9 years of this drought. Still believe only God the Father knows these things and mankind is just too big for his britches. Beautiful day here today and that is the most I can handle at one time so am going to enjoy it. Like, Sylvain, I really miss everyone.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 2, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8832743

UP here in New jersey they would be happy to send you some rain. I have had 22 horses scratch from the Grand Prix due to sloppy ring conditions. The leaves are beginning to fall without showing a lot of color. I have long pants(!) on today and the weather is very cool -- into the 40's tonight. ONe more week here and then I can start for home and back to warm weather. I got most of my garden in-- decided to do containers this year since I leave to go work in Ocala in January-- no sense planting stuff that takes longer to get ready. Just need some parsley to finish it out. I have tons of volunteer basil and still need to move a few plants-- hopefully the snakes will have moved themselves by the time I get home.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8833316

We need rain here too. Been awhile since we've had any and the ground is dry. But it's not too bad since it's also cooler out. Leaves are starting to change colors and it looks like it's gonna be a good season for color.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8836163

Believe it or not, I'm still alive, and kicking. Tend to lurk rather than post.

Anyhow...have had good rains here and the lake is up to where it should be. It got a little scary a couple of months ago when it was down so much.

Been pulling out a lot of stuff for can't keep it all any more. If anyone is around me, mail me and I will give you my phone number and we will get together.

Hugs,

Hap
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8836176

The weather has forced a lot of downsizing here. Can't continue to pay $350 per month for water. Oddly, now that the temperature has moderated, only 91 today, the plants think it is spring and are putting on lots of new growth. Probably around mid November we go from 91 to 31 overnight. Anything that can live with these extremes is a keeper. Sadly, most of what I had was tropical and the sun's rays fried them crisp. One thing good, there have been no mosquitos this entire season. Glad to hear from you, Hap.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8836266

Most of Kansas is now under a red flag warning. If we don't get rain this weekend we will be too. No rain for over 15 days now so with the falling leaves under a fire danger.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8836348

The entire state of Texas has been under a burn ban now for over 2 months. As of tonight there is another wildfire in the Bastrop Texas area where 1700 homes and thousands of acres burned about 3 weeks ago. Seems there is no end to this prelude to hell.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8836819

It's so sad all this agony that you all have been going through. Wish I could send some rain over to you.

Hap
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8841319

Jen has been in bed with a "frozen back", can hardly move or be on the computer for very long. Has been on muscle relaxers and pain pills, so keep her in your prayers!

I have had an upper respiratory infection, so have been down as well for over a week. Just can't shake it...If it don't clear I will go to the Dr. as it has been almost two weeks. May have to get some antibiotics. Rag weed has been heavy, so think that is the problem, but NOTHING OTC has helped whatsoever...Any remedies suggested?

May have to go eat a can of jalepenos to shake this...don't laugh...Im serious.

Glad to see everyone here ...Jen says, don't forget her...

Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8841361

No way we will forget about Jen!! I do feel for her though!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8841362

Try Vitamin C, 1000 mg three times a day with OTC Claritin. It's worth a shot!

Hap
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8841383

Thanks Hap! I have been on generic Claritin...but have not taken the VIt C yet...I do have some, so will find it and start taking it as well.

I have taken benedryl, generic Claritin, Phenyledrine, dayquil, and now Alkaseltzer plus cold and cough. I do feel a little stronger. Last week I was sooooo weak I could barely stand up. With the fibro and my immune system down it knocks me off of my feet, literally.

I am seriously going to go find the jalepenos...and the Vit. C!

Thanks!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8841752

Feel better, Sweetie!

Hap
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8844217

Thanks, I do feel a little stronger today. I am not near as congested today. Thank Goodness! Maybe all of this rain washed the ragweed away! We sure needed the rain!

We are sooooo thankfull for it!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8844850

Where have I been? Had no idea Jenny was down. She is just a little thing and does the physical work of two large men. I must call her. Will have to figure out the time difference from Texas to Maui. Thank you for letting us know, Jeanne.

PK

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 13, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8847721

Maybe it's from this thread! I have the crud as well! From the neck up, I feel horrible! Haven't slept for 3 nights now. I can't take over the counter stuff 'cause it knocks me out!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8848034

Hope everyone is feeling better. I finally am. I think it's the change in weather bringing in different pollens. Messes everyone up.

It is much cooler out. Eventually we need to get out and get some things repotted before winter sets in.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8863910

Hope everyone is feeling better. I finally got over the allergies / upper respiratory infection and then had to have a root canal in a molar. I have a temporary crown and will go back in a couple of weeks for the permanent crown.

It is supposed to be 46 Sat and Sun mornings so we moved the plumerias, ferns, majesty palms and some of the airplane plants, misc, closer in by the rock waterfall so to create a little "microclimate". It's close to the outside of the house, so maybe they will get some warmth. There are tall banana plants and other plants behind them also. I hope to be able to leave them there thru the winter if it is not to harsh. I know I will have to cover them up with a sheet like last year, but it would be easier than having to move everything out to the gazebo and hang the plastic.

Hard to believe we had such harsh summer days, and now time to worry about a freeze within the next month or so.

Hope everyone is well.

Jeanne

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 26, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8864081

Jeanne,
I am glad you are feeling much better and yes it is time to over winter all the tropicals. I have some one coming today to help me bring them in. I have to much and with a bad back I can not take a chance.

Golf is winding down and championship tournaments are over but then the Holiday celebrations starts. I still plan to play as long as weather permits and has girls buddies to play with. Roger has his own group and enjoys more with the guys.

Root canal!!! I had that done this year and will be glad when the lower braces will come out. It will be nice after all the dental work is over. it was my daughter who paused for it to have it done after i retired.

How is your sister doing?

Best regards!!

Belle
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 26, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8864276

Glad you are feeling better, Jeanne. I still have problems with my right shoulder but Iii'm going to Ca. next week and will see my doctor on Thursday. I'm also ordering a brace.

While searching for a new-to-me van I met a person who has been going to government auctions to buy vehicles for twenty years. He's in San Diego and will help me get something. I'm relieved as I don't know much about them.

I got a Dmail from Jennie (Bravehearts mom) and she is able to be up a little. Still having problems with her back and going to physical therapy. She and her DH Frank have each had two or more surgeries in the last few months. Keep them in your prayers.

Tony is grinding part of the top off a metal barrel so we can make biochar.

I slept well the last two nights and am grateful after a night with no electricity and many barking dogs.

hugs, katie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8865012

Hope Jennie and Frank get better!! That's not good to have that many surgeries in a short amount of time.

Glad you are over your allergies and stuff Jeanne!! I had a cold last week but managed to knock it out pretty quick.

We had our first killer frost last week and I was able to dig up my ee's and cannas after that. I left one volunteer canna out there. lol. It came up in my garden this year but came up late and only got about a foot high. Not sure how it survived the rototiller. lol

Katie, hope the brace helps your shoulder some!!

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011

Post #8870315

Aloha all,

Almost back to the land of the living after a few painful weeks. I hope you are feeling better Jeanne and that Katies trip to CA to see the doctor has some good results...

Anybody doing anything for Halloween? My neighborhood has no small children that I know of so we don't even get trick or treaters at the door. We always buy a bag of candy just in case. The roads here are kept very dark so as not to confuse the turtles, sea birds, etc, to come the wrong way thinking they are following the stars out to sea, which could have something to do with the lack of children on the streets. Too many lights also mess up the Observatories too. There is going to be a street party in Lahaina tonight after months of debate. Some Hawaiians do not want it to happen at all.

Hope everyone is well and the weather is being kinder to some of you.

Jenn

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8870339

Hi, Jennie. So sorry about your back problems. I can definitely sympathize with you. I did everything imaginable before I would agree to surgery and none of it worked. Even went to a chiropractor that had the new "stretching" machine and another for acupuncture. Way too much damage and only major surgery helped. I think of you and your loved ones often.
I agree with the Hawaiians, no Halloween for them. So strange that this has almost overtaken Christmas. We don't have any little children in our neighborhood either so we just shut everything down so the big kids don't come to our door. Our weather couldn't be better. The churches and schools have had Fall Fiesta's this weekend so the little kids could wear costumes and have a good time. Very different from my childhood. Since I turned 70 last weekend there is NOTHING, ANYWHERE like my childhood. hahahaha. I am older than dirt!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8870470

So glad to hear from both of you! Jen, so glad you are doing better! Belated Happy Birthday Christi!

I am doing better also. This cold weather makes me achey, but that is just part of life...

There are no Halloween plans here. We do not celebrate Halloween. I think the local Mall has something for the kids. All of the grandkids are now teens.

Everyone have a great day!

Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 31, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8870567

BOO!

I hope none of you had a heart attack from that unexpected outburst. That being written, my Halloween festivities are done. We live in a 55+ community, no kiddies anywhere, so no worries about keeping sweets in the house that would only become leftovers for me to eat and raise my blood sugar.

A long while ago, I got a single slip of papyrus from a friend. It had shot up uninvited on his property. He didn't care for it. I brought it home, where I planted in an 8-gallon tub of water. I fertilized it and kept its water clean with little fishies. That way, we didn't have to worry about mosquitoes. And that little slip grew and grew. I finally got tired of its untidy appearance. Imagine my surprise when I realized that the whole 8-gallon bucket was FULL of roots. We had to break away the bucket to get the plant out of there. That will be replaced with a rare aroid, the name of which escapes me right now. I have to go buy another bucket right now. Take care, all.

Sylvain.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8871151

I just worked all day, although in costume, went to a Haunted School tour and finally managed to come home to take a shower and get most of the glitter and makeup off. My feet are sooo happy right now!! LOL!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8871726

Oh Christi, how could we have missed such an important birthday! Many Happy Returns of the Day - or is that just an English birthday wish? Anyway, I hope it was a good day for you.

Yesterday afternoon at 4pm the skies just open up out of nowhere and we had torrential tropical rain for about an hour. I don't think it messed up too many trick or treaters as it had stopped by dark. We need the rain though. When I was at work I watched a young couple laughing, dancing and taking pictures during the downpour, I guess they had never seen anything like tropical rain before, it was cute.

The avocado trees are loaded with fruit this year although it has been a very scant year for the citrus and we have only a few oranges and pumelos, and no mandarines at all. The lime tree keeps on producing though - Too bad I don't enjoy gin!

Frank is doing great after his last surgery and the Doc has given the okay for him to go back into the sea at the end of the week. He has missed swimming so much. At the moment he looks rather as if he has had a head transplant with the scar at the base of his neck - rather appropriate for this time of year! His thyroid was non cancerous, thank goodness. We are getting rather tired of all this "old people" stuff!

Now we start the downward spiral to the end of the year. How very quickly the last 2 months of the year fly by!

Aloha to all
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8871760

We are so behind, Jenn. Need to call you and have a looong visit. Ahhh, the avocados with a little lime juice. I would eat a dozen a day. That with the bananas would furnish all the nutrition anyone needs. They are currently $1.49 each here so not such a bargain. My key lime is setting fruit now. Hope we can keep it going this winter.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 1, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8872139

My persian lime is producing like mad-- threats worked. Yum -- avocado with a splash of lemon olive oil and salt and pepper!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8872523

I love to add pressed garlic to guacamole. My garlic press is over 30 years old and it's still pressing the garlic like new. Buying quality kitchen tools pays off. Yes, it cost $40, 30 years ago but man, does that thing press garlic into a fine purée, no fuss and no muss.

I mash avocados with the juice of a lime, freshly chopped cilantro, pressed garlic, a bit of grated baby red onion, a touch of cayenne pepper (or sambal olek), a pinch of salt and voilà: ambrosia in a dish. I still fondly remember the Rangpur lime tree at Fred's house in Fort Myer.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 2, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8873085

Rangpur Lime? I may call Hopkins nursery to see if they have any.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8873640

Sounds yummy y'all!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8892136

Where is everybody? Since I just celebrated my 70th birthday I bought myself an iPad2! Have had it for 6 days and am still getting the apps set up. Sure am glad this new technology is available before I get too old to figure it out. All propped up in my adjustable bed typing on it right now. The bed is in deference to a problem back. I told you I am Queen of Everything and Princess of Quite a Lot. Our temperatures are still in the 80's most days. Oddly, the tree are still quite green, well, except for those that died from the extreme summer. November 15 is the average date for a first frost and we are no where near it . We have had just a very little rain here and there...actually the newscaster says it is raining about 10 miles from here but we are not expected to get any of it. What are you doing this Thanksgiving Day? Almost here and we still haven't firmed up who is going to be where. Want each of you to know how thankful I am to have you as a friend. I pray you are well and safe from all harm.

Princess Kilikina
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 16, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8892499

Good Morning, I'm just back from a trip to Ca. Saw my doctor who is very pleased with my test results and weight loss. Also, made a down payment on a used ambulance which will be more comfortable for my trips. All the flashing lights are gone but the siren still works!!

Our newest dog, Max, has settled in well. He wants to be boss, maybe cause he's the only male and the other four are girls but he's also the smallest so he's not getting far with his bossy ways. He's about three years old and I wasn't sure how well he would adapt to a new home but he's become very bonded to me and to Tony and he often plays with the other dogs. We're still working on sharing food pans but no one goes hungry. Max and Scout, who came back to me about six months ago when friends were no longer able to keep her, have both been "only" dogs for much of their lives and find sharing with other dogs a bit of a challange. I do, too, as it often means preparing several small individual servings. Other times there will be three or four sharing a big pan with no fuss.

Our new garden-to-be out front is coming along mostly thanks to Tony's work. We have great mounds of shredded leaves and branches to use for mulch.

After several unsuccessful attempts I have several goldenberry plants going. The largest one has one fruit and several blossoms. This is one plant that may provide nutricious fruit, possibly year-round, and is not currently grown here. So far I have Malabar spinach and lots of dragonfruit added to our plant resources. Still working on some others. For the birds, I've added a schotia tree which they love when it blooms. Lots of nectar; it's a bird magnet. My neighbor Dana has two small trees which she started from seed I gave her. I have one more small tree and lots of seeds this year. Lots of plumerias for the beauty and fragrance. I also have yellow lemons, perhaps the only ones in twon. And tangerines and red grapefruit. The citrus are just starting to produce for the year.

We had a soaker rain a few days ago - very unusual for here and most welcome.

Christi, I think of you often, especially when it rains. Hoping many of your trees come back.

hugs, katie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8894154

Hello, everyone.

I'm here. There's quite a bit going on around here. My new part-time job keeps me busy. One must understand that time can only be used once and that there are only 168 hours in a week. The hours I spend at work are not given back to me when I return home. That means less time for chores around the house and a need to work more quickly and efficiently when I have something to do. At any rate, everything is fine with us. I have booked a 10-day cruise for January. The garden is overgrown. The weeds are taking over and quite a few things no longer please me in there. We'll have to rip out a fair bit of it. My cruising buddy will have a week of extreme gardening to do before the cruise and at least a week of extreme planting when we return. He'll be SO pleased.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8894749

Where are you going, Pu'ole? We need so desperately to get away from here but I get all anxious when we start talking about it. Ten days sounds like heaven. Which cruise line do you recommend as you have tried them all. Has real estate picked up in your area? I certainly hope that is the case. After a summer from hell, my garden seems to think it is Spring. More blooms now that since summer of 2010. We are still having temps of mostly 80's so it is easy to understand. Supposed to be 38 tonight but back to 80 by Sunday.

Katie, I am always, always amazed at your unending energy. I started a project in my kitchen 3 days ago and it is in a bigger mess than ever. Too tired tonight to do anything more.

Worried about Jen. Anyone heard from her. RJ, too.

Hey, Pepper, Deb, Jeanne, belle and anyone I may have missed...where are you? Come out, come out, wherever you are.

PK
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8894777

I'm here!! Been busy at work and at home. Last night the internet went down though this time it wasn't on my end!! LOL.

Getting ready for Thanksgiving finally. It kinda snuck up on us. lol. Going to Iowa Saturday for dinner with family up there, then Thanksgiving I'm working then coming home for dinner with family and maybe some friends. Lots of running around going on around here!! I'm loving it and wouldn't have it any other way. lol

Christi, how are you liking the iPad 2? That's on my keep dreaming list. lol

Hi to everyone else!! Gotta get caught up on here pretty quick.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8894819

Glad to hear you are so busy, Amanda. For a young person (or old, for that matter) that's a very good thing. Here we are only a week away from Thanksgiving and still have not settled on a plan.

I love the iPad2. It is a week old today in my household. Good thing I had purchased the macbook a couple of years ago because it has been an easier transition. If you haven't read the book, "Steve Jobs", I recommend it. Not what you would expect.

This lady is tired and I am going to bed to try to finish reading The Clan of The Cave Bears tonight. Reading puts me to sleep even when I don't want to go to sleep yet.

Have a good time with your family, Amanda. Lucy's Chocolate Factory hangs above my desk. Love it because I always think of you.

Nighty night.

Christi

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 18, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8895296

I'm on my way to cruising this Friday. We're going with my mother and will spend Thanksgiving at sea. So.. Happy Thanksgiving to all and I'll get back to you in 10 days or so!
As a note, my cucumbers did not do well in the pool cage-- however the lettuce, peppers and eggplant look great. Pollination issues? Don't know.. The radishes are finally pickable and quite spicy! Need to expand garden and just haven't had the epiphany needed-- Maybe this trip will do the job.
Gobble, Gobble!
Debi
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 18, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8895343

One of my eight barely-hanging-on-for-over-two-years brugs surprised me with a beautiful white bloom this morning. And three buds. The others are putting out new growth; I think they like this cooler weather.

katie

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8895381

Mine are blooming too, Katie.

Beautiful, aren't they?

Hap

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8895466

Hello, one and all.

Christi, to answer your questions: We are leaving on the Emerald Princess from Fort Lauderdale on Jan. 17th, for 10 days. We will be stopping at Princess' private island in the Bahamas, St.Thomas, Grenada, Dominica, Bonaire and Aruba; maybe not in that order. Anyhow, I'm not driving and they kinda can go wherever they please, as long as I'm on board and relaxing.

My cruising buddy (Claude) and I have established a few years ago that 7 days is not long enough, so we bumped it to 10 days. Who knows, maybe we'll eventually bump it again to 14 days. My favorite cruise line among them all is really and truly Royal Caribbean.

The real estate business here has not picked up any speed, as far as I am concerned. Every day, more and more homes are foreclosed. A real estate license is really a license to lose money, these days.

I was glad to hear that your garden is showing signs of rebirth. This last summer was a bummer for you guys. Let's hope for a 100% recovery.

I have to go. That potting won't do itself. Perfect weather here for that kind of work: cloudy, windy and a slight drizzle. I work under the carport, which stay dry all the time.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8899189

I'm here...still getting ready for Thanksgiving here. Doing the fall cleaning I didn't get done in the Spring.

Pulled a few weeds and a muscle in my back in the daylily bed the other day. It has finally eased up.

Have a few more things to do in the house...almost ready. Shopping tomorrow.

My yellow jasmine is in bloom and is just gorgeous. The White ginger is in bloom also, and my yellow brugs. I guess they think it is Spring.

Happy holidays everyone!
Jeanne
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8899589

Aloha from North Carolina!

I am spending a couple of weeks with my daughter and son in law. My granddaughter flew in for a few days too, so it's been great fun shopping and "hanging out". I will be heading home on Friday and will have a traveling buddy because my daughter will be coming back with me to Maui for a quick vacation.

It's COLD here! We had one night that got close to freezing but it has been very pleasant since then and I have been enjoying seeing the autumn colors on the trees, but days in the 60's are still chilly for me!

We have been looking at homes for sale here and are thinking of retiring and moving back to the mainland sometime in the future. There are certainly lots of lovely homes for sale and the Chapel Hill area is very nice...the bonus is of course being closer to family in our old age!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Jenn
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8899833

Glad you are with your kids, Jen. You and Frank did it right by living in Hawaii while you were young and could enjoy all that it has to offer. I wouldn't think Chapel Hill would be a come down but, oh, what a difference in climate. You will need a whole new wardrobe...that's not so bad. Maybe a road trip to Texas? Sorry for the problems everyone is having with their backs. I am well acquainted with that. Mike seeing the orthopedic doctor this afternoon about his knees. He can hardly walk. As the adage goes, "Old age ain't for sissies.". Here it is only a day or two before Thanksgiving. Goodness where does the time go?

Among my many blessings, each of you are at the top of the list.

Christi aka PK
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011

Post #8900601

Just got back last night from Iowa. Had Thanksgiving with some family up there over the weekend. Had a great time except for when I was crammed in the car with 4 other people. lol. My back is also hurting some but is alot better than it was. My neice and nephew decided to play horsie on me Saturday night. They didn't hurt me til they bounced on my back and that about did me in. I then reached behind me and pulled a muscle in my left arm so that put an end to the game. lol

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8901217

Aloha, everyone!

Jenny is on the mainland: wonderful news. I hope you have a wonderful visit with family and friends while scouting out your next neighborhood.

Bad backs seem to be the norm these days. I have a very delicate lumbar area and it is acting up these days, specially when an order of wine and spirits comes into the shop and has to be either warehoused or displayed on the shelves. I am rather sore these days because I may have overdone it last week. With me, it's not so much picking the boxes off the floor. I do the worst damage when I have a case of bottles in my hands and I pivot to the right or left, turning at the waist. Those torsion movements will be the death of me. I have had some excruciating episodes while doing that. But, I try hard to remember my delicate spots and I manage to go through my duties without being carted away to the emergency room on a stretcher.

Take care, all and have a great Thanksgiving day if I don't "see" you by then.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8904643

Hope you heal quickly!

Happy Thanksgiving one and all! Hope everyone had a great day!

Ours was excellent! Now I can rest and recooperate...

Jeanne

This message was edited Nov 25, 2011 11:55 PM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8925170

Guess it has been awhile since someone requested Mike's Rib concoction. He is cooking today so thought I would get him to dictate and write it down. Hope the file shows. It is in pdf. format.

Well, that didn't work. Will have to work on it a bit.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2011 1:20 PM

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 11, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8925548

Dearest, the file did not follow. And I would love to try Mike's Rib concoction.

Mahalo nui loa.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8925745

Hi all! Hope everyone is feeling better.

Christi I would love to have Mike's recipe!

Only two weeks until Christmas...Everyone ready yet? I still have a few things to pick up.

Merry Christmas Everyone, and a very Happy New Year!

Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 12, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8925973

Oy Vey, Christmas and New year just around the corner, so much to do and so little time. And then, there is the cruise following in the 3rd week of January! So much to do and so little time. I am at this point of the year where energy fails me and my to-do list stretches ad infinitam. I have got to prioritize and concentrate on the necessary things. I am not Superman.

Yesterday, I made a pair of men's shorts for myself. They turned out beautifully. I cut them out f a great piece of denim I had purchased last week. While at the fabric store, I thought of purchasing interfacing, but I clearly remembered a few yards of the stuff sitting in my stash. When the time came to cut the interfacing, I looked and looked. I only had enough to interface those shorts, if I cut judiciously. I have no interfacing for the other 3 pairs I also cut yesterday. No interfacing, no shorts. It's a simple equation. So, it's off to the store again today to buy a few yards interfacing. My mind is going slowly.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8926072

Aloha Everyone,

Back from my trip to North Carolina. I had a wonderful, although very busy, visit. Family and extended family arrived at various times, so we ended up having several Thanksgivings. I am pretty sick of turkey right now, but a good time was had by all.

It was lovely to see all the hardwood trees in their autumn colors although I had just missed the height of the display. The weather was cool-ish, but I found the first few days to be quite a shock to my system - it's been years since I felt temps in the 60's! BRRR!

I looked at various areas and houses while I was visiting and could not believe the prices! Very tempting, but still not sure we want to give up the Islands just yet...

Christi, like everyone else, I would love Mike's rib concoction!

I am so impressed with the sewing Pu'ole, you are going to be well outfitted for your cruise.

Is everyone getting ready for Christmas? The only decorations I am doing this year is a couple of bows out on the driveway lamp posts - hows that for a miserable Christmas spirit! I have to work on the 25th and 26th so we will probably have our Christmas dinner on the 24th - no turkey though!

Happy holidays to everyone,

Jenn

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8926114

http://public.iwork.com/document/?d=Mike_39_s_Rib_directions.pages&a=p152911329

Now then, let's try this. Everyday is a new challenge with the mac.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8926127

Well, would you look at that! It worked. Not decorating here either. All of the get-togethers are planned for elsewhere. Have been hooked on Cardinal dishes for sometime and I have set my table very festive. Cardinal is the Christmas icon for peace.
What a great day it would be if all of us were in the same place at one time. Pu'ole, you would go nuts over my stash. I probably rival many suppliers. I am impressed with the shorts. Do you install a zipper or just elastic? I'm not good with zippers. It is cold and dreary again today. The yellow rose is covered with blooms...one bright spot in the garden.

I have been very lazy this weekend and need to get myself up and busy. During the night we have gremlins come in and just mess up the house something awful. One of these I will catch them.

Love to all of you. Peace on earth, goodwill to men.

Princess Kilikina
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8926154

Oh, Jen, how beautiful.. Postman just came to door with a new calendar of Hawaii. It hangs right in front of my desk. Thank you again and again.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8926880

We have cardinal decorations also. One of my favorite birds!

We are getting ready for Christmas though not doing much decorating. We are just so busy that we can't muster up the energy for it. Plus I have a hyper 4 year old nephew who likes to run around the house so have to be careful of what I put out. lol

Now off to check out Mike's rib recipe.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 13, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8927435

A glorious morning to you all.

When we moved to Florida, I wanted to have a Christmas wreath hanging at the condo's door. That was the only decoration the condo commandos would allow outside between Dec. 10th and Jan. 6th: a wreath.

I had seen evergreen-looking garland sold at the dollar store and there was a big fur coat hanger left by the previous owner in the walk-in closet. Using pliars, I started bending the hanger into a circle. With the circle done, I returned to the dollar store and purchased 90 feet of the evergreen garland, ornaments of all kinds, strings of pearls, bells, jingle bells, pine cones, lights, anything I could find for $1. It seemed my only criteria was: it must come from the dollar store.

I returned home with my purchases. Gail looked at me as if I had lost my marbles. Gail is a delightful woman, a real-life Saint. She has put up with me for 34 years, but Lord love her to bits, she can't visualise stuff like I can. So, I started wrapping the garland around the circular frame I had made. I then wired every decoration to the wreath with garbage bag ties so nothing would fall off. Gail was knitting and rolling her eyes at her crazy polar bear caught in the clutches of yet another creative frenzy. Once in a while, I could feel a skeptical glance coming my way.

So, I wired the lights in, followed by everything else. In a matter of an hour or so, we had a gorgeous wreath. Gail laughed and said she should never underestimate me. I then wired the wreath to the outside of the condo's door and connected the lights. It worked beautifully. I even caught someone trying to steal my wreath one night. I hated living in that condo! The people were such dorks! Since then, every year, I go to the dollar store and buy 1 pack of Christmas ornaments to add to the wreath. The new addition can't cost more than $1 and it can't be a single item. This year, I have purchased a pack of 5 ornaments for $1. Every year, that wreath hangs on our front door. We love it. Here is a picture of it.

As far as sewing is concerned, when large size clothes became difficult to find in Montreal and my weight kept on increasing, I resolved to take sewing courses. I asked around. One of my friends recommended this sewing school. I had never heard of it and it was a good 35 miles away from home. But, I paid my money and took my chances. The teacher was a harsh sewing fanatic, but she taught me well. It was her way or the highway. And to make matters worse, there was a man in her class and she didn't enjoy that one bit. She thought there was something very wrong with me. I soon become one of her star pupils and a bit of a teacher's pet. At the first course, I realized this was a haute couture and pattern design class. How wonderful, I thought.

I persevered with that teacher for 4 years. I learned everything there is to know about fabric, equipment, pressing, sponging, needlework, interfacing and tailoring. Now, I make a lot of the clothes I wear and I wear a lot of the clothes I made a long while ago because they last and last. Each seam is tacked. Each thread is tied. Everything that needs it is interfaced and holds together very well and everything fits oh so well.

My shorts feature a regular tailored fly, fully interfaced waist band, and a belt loop every 5 inches. I invest about 8 hours work in a pair of pants, or shorts. I also make tailored dress shirts with wonderful collars and double french cuffs that are to die for. Basically, the only ready-made clothes I buy are socks and ties. I even buy nice buttons and make my own cuff links. I have been sewing for 30 years now.

Well, having photographed the wreath, I guess I'll hang it on the door now. Take care all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8927561

Why am I not surprised at your multiple, multiple talents?! Wish you lived close and I would commission apparel for myself. The wreath is sumptuous. And you are a gourmet cook and talented gardner, never mind, your way with words. I am so fortunate to have met each of you. The magic of the internet has brought some of most wonderful people in the world, from all over the world.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for your love and care. We come together in this Christmas season to celebrate your birth as a man here on earth. May your blessings cover each of these friends. Amen

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 13, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8927786

Ah, Princess... you are making me blush. I can feel it on my cheeks. Thank you. I am always glad to have met so many wonderful people through Dave's Garden.

Mahalo nui loa.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8927797

That's some wreath, Sylvain. You better nail is on the door!

Hugs
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8928392

Love the wreath!! I agree, you are a man of many talents!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8930158

Wow Sylvain, I'm very impressed! I can sew a little, but it is far from enjoyable!

Your wreath is very pretty. I thought about making one, but have yet to get all the stuff. Christmas shopping has just about worn me out, and I still have to clean and put up the tree...or vice versa.

Thanks Christi for the recipe. I am sure DS will appreciate it!

Jen thanks for your kind generosity! It is dearly appreciated! I will get these seeds in the soil asap! So glad you are home safe and sound.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Mele Kalikimaka!

Jeanne
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 21, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8938260

Merry Christmas to all, my friends.

my puter is down with a dead battery so I'm not here much but am thinking of all of you and wishing you the happiest of holidays.

I have several big bags full of stuffed animals and 25 pounds of candy ready to go on Christmas so I'm feeling fine.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8938410

Mrs. Santa Claus are ya' now, Katie. Good for you. You have such a generous heart.

Merry Christmas to you.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8939250

Aloha all,

I hope everyone is finished their Christmas shopping and is relaxing now that Christmas is almost upon us.

Katie, you are indeed an angel disguised in a Santa suit to make Christmas so happy for all the local children - I can only imagine how much they look forward to your visit...God Bless You!

We are having a very quiet Christmas here - no family flying in this year and I have to work on the 25th. We will be celebrating on the 24th with a rib roast (yummy - my favorite!) and Yorkshire pudding. All my Christmas shopping done as all the kids prefer cash to hit the Mall with after Christmas when everything goes on sale. Easy peasy! I did send them each a care package though, and for once in my life I got them mailed before the big rush at our local postoffice - not my usual mode of operation, so I am feeling quite proud of myself!

My Mom hasn't been too well lately and is down to 85lbs and is very frail looking. It's always a relief for me when I see her light come on in her cottage in the morning. My brothers and their families will be flying in during the latter part of January which we are all looking forward to.

I hope everyone has the Merriest of Christmases and the Happiest of New Years,

Love to you all, my friends,

Jenn
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2011

Post #8939254

Oh dear. Margaret is such a treasure. I'm so sorry to hear she is not doing well. Hug her tight for me and tell her I still think she one of the beauties of this world. Thank you and Frank, Jen, for all things you have done to change my world.
We, too, will have a very subdued Christmas. My son's wife filed for divorce Tuesday morning and has turned all of us upside down. The Golden Years are turning out to be a little tarnished.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 22, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8939587

I have a pillow that says "Screw the Golden Years". How true.
We too are having a very quiet Christmas- going to the children's service at church (even thought childless!) and have to get there an hour early, dinner with Mom and then take her home. She then treks down for a Christmas afternoon heavy luncheon and she'll be home before dark . Six of us at dinner-- a far cry from years past-- but that's not a bad thing.
Of course with a birthday tomorrow...
Merry Christmas to all!
Debi
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8940265

Well Debi, you are our Christmas baby! Happy Birthday!
I hope today is a lovely one for you.
Jenn

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8940318

Happy BD, Debi.

Hap
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8940335

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy BBBiiirrtthday, Dear Debi. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 23, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8940781

Thank all of you so very much! Mom gave me a wonderful book about Monticello that I already had, so I asked for plants instead! I saw a bat plant this week and want to find out as much as I can. Any advice?
Debi
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8940962

Happy Birthday Debi!!!

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

December 24, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8941253

Thanks to all for the many Birthday wishes! It's not a great time of year for a birthday... but consider the alternative!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 24, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8941748

Hi.

I saw my doctor yesterday. She scolded me and sent me directly to the hospital's emergency room. They checked out my foot and admitted me immediately. I have seen a whole bevy of doctors around the clock since yesterday at noon. I saw a podiatrist today. She will fix my toe. I told her to proceed as fast as possible before this gets too far out of hand. There's no need procrastinating. That's what got me in this mess in the first place.

I will be wheeled into the operating room tomorrow morning, Christmas day. She'll do her best to save the toe, but nothing is guaranteed. Gail is alone at home. Céline was with her yesterday. She'll be with Gail again tomorrow. Once in a while, one shouldn't worry about his beard when his head is at stake. I am worried, but I have no choice. And I must keep a stiff upper lip for Gail's sake. A few prayer would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all of you. I'll be in touch as soon as I can. I have my computer at the hospital.

Big hugs.
Sylvain.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 24, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8941937

Sylvain.
Diabetic I assume? I hope they save your toes. How bad is it? Retired OR nurse so pardon all the ?? You will be in my prayers and have a Merry Christmas.

Belle
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8941981

Oh dear. Pu'ole. I can't believe you haven't taken better of yourself . Now you listen to momma...this is very serious. I won't go Into details because you already know. On this the night we celebrate the Christ Child's birth we will be in prayer for a successful procedure tomorrow . You are such a kind heart to be more concerned for Gale than yourself. I would expect no less.

Father God, we come to you tonight asking you to watch over your children, Sylvain and Gale. We come to you in faith believing that all things are possible with faith in you. Watch over Gale and keep her safe. Guide the hands of the surgeons and other technicians that they be used of you to heal Sylvain. We thank you now, Lord, for what you are about to accomplish. We worship you and your son. . Thank you for forgiveness of our sins.

In thy Holy Name we pray.

Amen and Amen
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8942031

Happy Birthday Debi!

Oh Sylvain, bless your heart! Have said a prayer for you dear one!

We had our family Christmas today and all went well. It was very peaceful and joyous. We had gumbo, rice, deli meats, cheese, breads, crackers, chips, dips, vegetable tray, cookies, cupcakes, sweet treats, exchanged one gift per household for adults and then gave to each of the three grandchildren. They are all very happy!

We took youngest granddaughter home so she could have Christmas with her Mom and Granny, then we will go get her tomorrow afternoon for the week.
We must go early as Justin Bieber comes on TLC here at 4 pm central!

We got the tree up last night and it looks great! It is the tree that Mom and Dad had while my two were growing up. Dearest Sister had not seen it in many many years and could not believe how good it looked to be so old!

It is very late and I am exhausted so will talk to all of you tomorrow...well actually now it'll be later in the day today!

Merry Christmas to ALL!
Mele Kalikimaka!

Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 25, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8942096

Happy Holidays to all DG gardeners!!May you all have a healthy New Year.!!!

We went to 7-PM mass and it was standing room only. We have a 900 seat church and our overflow in the commons was around 250. Previous mass was 1,300.We have total of 5 masses for Christmas.

Today we have company for dinner and I am cooking. DH is good about entertaining , mixing drinks and kitchen after care.

Temperature here is in the 50's. My plants are thriving in all parts of the house with grow lights. DH was nice to purchase grow lights.

Stay warm and enjoy the holiday season.

Belle

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8942176

Merry Christmas to all.

Hap
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8942565

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas today!!

Sylvain, hope your surgery was successful!!

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8942936

My dear Pu'ole,

You are in my thoughts - I hope the surgery was minor and that you are going to be as fit as a fiddle for your cruise in the New Year. Sending a big hug your way.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 26, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8943022

It's a glorious morning here in Delray Medical Center. Things are going well and I am allowed to walk, providing I keep my weight off my right foot. I am not allowed to stand in place.

I just found out this morning that my room overlooks a garden, of sorts. There's not much interesting planted in there: a few areca palms and some variegated bushy shefflera. The ground is covered in red mulch. Adding a garden was a nice touch, but their choice of plants: Oy Ve!

I'm back to my old self. I'm finding fault where I should be finding pleasure. Chase the natural tendencies away and they come back at a trot, bringing in reinforcements. My dressing should be changed for the first time today. Minutes ago, they brought in the supplies to do that. There's enough bandages to cover the building in it, much like Christo used to do. I guess they know what they're doing.

Take care,all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8943033

Thinking of you today. Mind the doctor's, now ya heah?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8943564

The best ones never do. :~p Just kidding. Sylvain, don't cause them too much trouble, just enough to be entertaining. lol

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 27, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8944167

Hi, everyone.

I am still in the hospital, beginning to get tired of being here. Getting tired of being waken 3 or 4 times a night for vital signs, shots, antibiotic pump maintenance, the morgue's nurse who checks out if you're still alive, the noise in the corridor, etc. I want to go home, be in my familiar surroundings and in charge of my person. I want to have my wife by my side and my snake in my hands.

I do try to be a good patient and cooperate with the staff, but I long to be at home and be free. The hospital's CAT scan is out of order, so a field trip has been planned for me later on today. We'll go somewhere else to obtain the scan. I won't drive. I won't have to walk there and it should be done quickly. So far, the news are good and the cultures they have been collecting since I got in here have all returned negative results, which is a good thing. As soon as they are certain that there is no bone infection, we will be able to think about going home.

In other news, I may change my hawai'ian name from Pu'ole (seashell) to Eiwa manamana (9 toes). It's not as pretty, but it does reflect a reality I will have to get into my head. I am still surprised at the gap between the big toe and the 3rd toe when they unwrap my foot. It's like having a tree cut in your yard after it grew there for 20 years. It's still the same yard, but all of a sudden, there is so much space and the view is so different. I'll get over it.

So many friends have rallied around me with Dave's Garden, another gardening site, Facebook and email during this ordeal! Thank you all for making me feel less alone in all this.

Take care, all.
Sylvain, still a.k.a. Pu'ole.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8944174

As long as we can find you, you will never be alone. Even DH has been asking about you. I know the yearning to be home but not until you are completely well. No complications, please. Even though this is a huge trauma both physically and psychologically I am just thankful that they have been able to stop the infection. Will continue to pray for you and Gale.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8945081

Sorry to hear the bad news. Good to see that you still have your sense of humor tho! Keeping you and Gale in our prayers!

Jeanne
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 28, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8945610

You are in my prayers. Can you fashion a toe out of modeling clay? Put the replacement there to surprise your doctor. Be sure to draw a funny face on it. I am still distracted by the gap where I the first adult tooth I've had removed was taken out about six months ago.

My Christmas gig as Santa went well, largely thanks to friends who help me collect good used stuffed animals. Lots of ahppy kids and I stayed sober through my 25th (or is it 26th) Christmas.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8945659

Good for you, Katie. You have such a generous heart..
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #8952923

Sylvain has gotten way too quiet. I hope he hasn't had complications from the toe amputation.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #8954445

A glorious day to you all, my friends.

I am way too quiet for your taste? Well, I am home and chugging along as best as I can. I'm glad to be back into my own environment. I still get intravenous antibiotics daily as an outpatient at the hospital. There are no signs of complications anywhere. Let's hope it remains like that.

Life is grand and I should be leaving on my cruise in 13 days. WooHoo. I should be able to drive again as soon as my foot's swelling goes down sufficiently to slip on a pair of running shoes. That swelling is coming down nicely. I don't have much of an appetite. I eat as long as I feel like it and then I push away the plate because I can't stomach the idea of eating anything else. That will wear away and my eating will become a problem again in no time flat.

And that's about the size of it from this end of South Florida. Take good care of yourselves and have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

Sylvain, a.k.a. Pu'ole.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 4, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #8954526

The swelling will go down eventually. Raise your affected foot on 2 pillows higher than your heart and if you are watching t/V raise it on a chair.

Keep your foot clean and dry.--I am sure the nurses told you the same thing.

Belle

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #8954573

So happy that all is getting better.

Nancy
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #8960380

Pu'ole,

So very happy to hear all is on the mend, and that you are feeling better. You certainly did find a unique and painful way to end 2011! I am so glad that you are going to start 2012 with a cruise, just the ticket to make life fun. Have a wonderful time!

We are enjoying the cooler temps that pass for winter here and the garden is looking better - less bedraggled and tired looking. We are still picking avocado and the mango trees are loaded with bloom - I think it will be a bumper crop this year if we don't get any rain at the wrong time. The starfruit tree is about to do it's thing again...

The Humpback whales are here! We are now spotting the from the shore line although I haven't seen any calves as yet. I just love whale season!

Anybody got snow yet? - it seems a strange winter so far. My brother who farms in WI can't believe the mild temps they are having, but it is going to be a beast when, and if, they suddenly drop to "normal".

Aloha to all!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #8960511

Our weather is more like the usual winters in Dallas. Warm days, cool nights. The past two years with all the snow and super cold were not normal. Been raining since midnight but we are far, far from breaking the drought. Just one of the lakes in the Hill Country has the shoreline moved out a mile. Will take a flood to fill it again. All but one of the lakes in the entire state is man-made for a water supply. Ranchers generally have multiple "stock ponds" across their property. Most of them are dry now. May not be able to grow the beloved tropicals here any longer. Watering restrictions are already in place. Once a week only. If you have the only green yard, be prepared for stiff fines. Am gradually converting to Texas natives. Wish I could see the whales once again. Have pictures in my mind that I will never forget. How is your back, Jen?

Talked to Sylvain on the phone last Friday and he is preparing to leave this Friday on the BIG cruise. Glad for him.

Love to all,

Christi
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012

Post #8962569

No snow here. Just some flurries a couple times this season but I never saw them. We have more flurries coming tomorrow night, might miss them too. LOL

Sylvain, have fun on your cruise when you finally hop onto that ship!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012

Post #8978187

Hope everyone is OK!

Sure would love to see the whales! I bet it is a sight to see!

A few days ago we had a record of 81! It is unbelievable! It was clouded over today. We are supposed to get rain this next week.

I've been down with my back / pain in my leg, sciatica, but it is easing up some now. I need to be sure to bend ergonomically when I feed the cats or pick things up. I bring it on myself. I need to be more carefull!!!!

Aloha Y'all!
Jeanne
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #8985578

Aloha Coconuts-
Move time is coming very quickly- Cleaning out the attic, donating to good will, repairs on bothersome thing on house. Have decided to rent the house, just had to keep that foot in the door! I wonder how the renters will like the clause in the contract "Must provide care and support to The Precious" referring to the fern tree. Seriously not deluding myself however- It's demonstrated it's ability to keep on going.
So hard not to play in the garden, been a nice winter and the plants are already waking up.
May 1st is the first day I report in Chicago, however...the boss threw March at me last week, to which I replied...not a chance.

The Precious (it's mutating to two heads, tops or however that is plant phrased. It has a Y at the top now with each end producing it's own crown.

Miss ya'll (How can I Hawaiianize Ya'll?)

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #8985990

Hey Rj!! Long time no see!! Glad you are keeping your house... just in case. lol. Buy warm clothes because the change will shock you til you get used to it and thicken up your blood some. :~)

Fern tree looks great as always.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #8987034

Hi Pepper, Randy,
Sure will miss you Randy! Definately get some warm clothes, although May it should start warming up some.

I guess that is why I have such thick blood, as I was born 40 miles from Chicago in Gary, Indiana!

It's been a gorgeous day here. My Jasmine and camelias are in bloom. So beautiful!
Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 17, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9009987

A glorious day to you all!

The post that follows is sent as a public service message. Do not take its contents lightly. All this is real, very real. I am afraid, very afraid.

It all has to do with the Hawai'ian goddess of volcanoes: Pélé. Pélé is not someone with whom one should trifle. Here's why.

When I visited Hawai'i 5 years ago, I had read many times that bringing back sand and rocks was frowned upon because Pélé considers those substances as her own children. It is said Pélé will find you and set a curse upon you. At the time, I had a collection of sand from every beach I had ever visited on my cruises. Leaving a sample of their sand behind when I left the beach broke my heart. However, I decided to err on the side of caution and I didn't collect any sand. I didn't bring back any rocks, either.

One month ago, 2 friends left for a Hawai'ian cruise. They intended to visit the islands by car at each port of call. They would visit as many botanical gardens and beaches as they could while taking in the sights. So far, so good. They also intended to ship the plants they will buy directly to my house, where I could care for them until they visit their Florida house in April. I cautionned both of those guys to leave the sand and rocks alone. We seemed to have an agreement.

Altogether, I received 3 separate shipments from their shopping trips in various botanical gardens and nurseries. I am not sure what part of "no sand and no rocks" escaped their minds. The first box contained 3 bromeliads mounted on lava rock. I thought I would faint. The next day, a second box arrived. It contained another bromeliad mounted on (you guessed it) a piece of volcanic rock. I had to pause and sit down that day. If I were a drinking man, I would have hit the bottle. But I don't drink in response to life's curve balls. A few days later, the third box that arrived contained a bottle of sand for my collection. I got a bad case of "the vapors" and a stress headache reared its ugly head. I was not a happy camper.

So, there is nothing else to do but sit back and wait for Pélé's curse to hit us full force. Why do I feel like one of these cartoon characters who gets hit by an anvil falling from a great height? Yesterday, my computer's monitor conked out. It had to be replaced because I had no idea how useless a computer can be without a monitor. It's one of those things I took for granted, I guess. This morning, I went out to water my plants and my hose had a leak. I had all the hardware to fix it. Thinking back, I never owned a hose that suffered such a gash before.

I have the address where such mineral samples may be returned to appease Pélé. The sand will be easily packed and shipped. However, I don't want to harm the prized bromeliads in the process. So, I have a plan. I'll ship the sand and I'll load the bromeliads into the car. I'll deliver those dangerous rocks to their house, where they'll do well in the garden. I hope it will be sufficient.

What say you, my friends? Do you believe in that curse? Have you experienced anything like it before? My research brings me to realize that there are many such places in the world where you shouldn't bring back mineral samples: Ayers Rock in Australia, Stonehenge and a few of those rock formations in Thailand that seem to have sprung directly out of the sea.

Gotta go. I have a delivery to do ASAP. Oh, BTW, I also wanted to bring back this delightful dancer. However, I sensed that Gail would not think it was a good idea. I know when to pick my fights. It's the beginning of wisdom.

Aloha, y'all.
Sylvain, a.k.a. Pu'ole.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2012

Post #9010467

Sooo glad to have you back with us. You look very fit and happy with your dancer. Hope there were no complications with your foot while on your great voyage. I don't know about the curse. I didn't bring back any rocks or sand from Maui and everything around here continues to fall apart. Never an end. Take care, friend.

Princess Kilikina (haven't felt like the Princess in a very long time).

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9011320

You will always be a Princess to us, sweetie!

Hap
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9011460

Sounds like you had an interesting trip Sylvain. Hope you have gotten rid of the bad luck now.

I agree with Hap!! Once a Princess, always a Princess!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9011468

Awwwww, you guys always give me a lift. This is group of super special friends.

PK
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9015808

Aloha Everyone!

I had to laugh Sylvain, every year the Rangers here receive HUNDREDS of packages of sand and lava from all over the world from people returning them to the Islands because of the bad luck that had dogged them since they took Madam Pele's property! She is very sensitive about her creations. Very often the packages are addressed to "Madam Pele" and the Post Office knows where to deliver them! The Rangers carefully place her things back into the 'aina with great respect...I never take lava from any area, and when I constantly turn it up in the garden and make lava wall edging around the gardens I always hope Madam Pele approves. So far, so good!

I wonder if all of you are seeing signs of spring? My daughter in NC has all her daffodils up and flowering, despite an inch or so of snow the night before last.Our spring isn't so easy to detect but the fruit trees have dropped tons of leaves and the new ones are already there - they seem to drop and push out the new leaves at the same time. Lots of blossom on the mangos, avocado, etc, etc. We even have some blossom on the lichi tree which doesn't happen every year - it's a very iffy tree for me.It looks as if it is going to be a bumper crop of Mango this year.

My mom is finally getting better after battling an infection for the last 6 months. She is still weighing in at 82lbs but we have been force feeding her Ensure, so hopefully she will put on a few more pounds soon. The doctor put her on Zoloft (sp?) and we have all been happier since it started to work!

We have had huge numbers of visitors this year, in fact there have been times that it has not been possible to rent a car because they ran out! It's quite a feat to get to work along S Kihei Road without hitting anyone - why do visitors insist on dodging across the street 10 yards away from the actual crossing? LOL! Locals call the winter months "no left turn Kihei" for good reason.

I hope everyone is well. Have you been having a rough time Princess K? Always a princess to me too!

Aloha to all

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 22, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9016210

Aloha to all my cyber ohana.

More on Pélé's vengence: someone broke into my car and sacked the interior of the glove box, did the same thing for the center console and a little storage cubbyhole in the dash board. There were papers scattered everywhere: CDs, owner's manual, oil change invoices, real estate forms, business cards, etc. The intruder didn't shut the door completely after leaving, so I found out about this first thing the following morning, as I brought my morning coffee and my book outside to watch the sunrise.

Nothing was taken. The Turnpike's transponder, the GPS, a cell phone were all there for the taking. A neighbor told me the thief was looking for the car's registration. He also told me that if the registration had been found by the intruder, my car would have been stolen. Perish the thought! I don't need that kind of trouble. At any rate, the registration is stowed away in a very secret place in the car. That place was not found and the registration documents are still in their hiding place.

I just baked banana bread and it rose beautifully. I guess Pélé is not interested in baking endeavors.

Take care, all.
Sylvain, a.k.a. Pu'ole.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9016264

LOL Sylvain! So sorry to hear of your misadventures and bad luck.

My computer froze, so it will have to go into the shop. I am on Dear Son's and it is having problems as well.

Glad to hear that your Mom, Jen is getting better. Will keep her in our prayers!

Christi, has your weather warmed up for a couple of days? It is 78 today.

We are OK! Hope everyone is also!

Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9016398

Are your friends having any bad luck or did they just pass it all on to you? I almost feel like I'm watching Regis again. LOL. That man has the worst luck sometimes and now it's rubbing onto Sylvain. LOL

Doing good here. Fighting some kind of cold or something. Until today I was only dealing with a persisent cough and sore throat. I have to take NyQuil and DayQuil everyday or else my throat swells up and I can't stop coughing at all. Today my nose is acting up a bit so I'm thinking that the rest of the cold has decided to take root and torture me. I just want it to go away ASAP. I've had it since last week and I am extremely tired of it.

Jenn, glad your mom is getting better!! I drink that Ensure too. Doesn't help me gain weight but does help me get some of my vitamins in. I like it for the most part.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9016932

So glad everyone is posting again. Nothing terrible here, Jen. Just the usual trying to keep a place going. My daffodils have been blooming now for almost 2 weeks. Just whets my appetite for Spring. Sorry about your mom. She is a lovely lady in every sense of the word. How is Frank? Back to his morning swim yet?

Sylvain, what can I say? It appears that because you were the one in possession of the contraband, the curse wetly directly to you.

Pepper, Mike and I are suffering from the same bug you are. He's in his second week and mine started on Monday. We seem to be in a "coughing contest". The weather is typical Texas. 78 yesterday, 84 today, and high of 60 tomorrow. At the moment there are no predictions for another freeze. We ALWAYS have another frost the week before Easter.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9017819

Aloha Everyone!

Try Alkaseltzer Plus Cold and Flu tablets. That's what finally chased mine away last year. I don't think extra Vit C and Echinacea (from most pharmacies, esp. Walgreens) hurts either.

I've been craving tangerines, but I think the Vit C would be cheaper, and less calories! haha! Altho the tangerines do taste pretty good!

Hope everyone gets to feeling better and has better luck!

Sylvain, we need to pray and "Rebuke the curse in the Name of Jesus"! He is the Way, the truth, and the light...

Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 24, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9018024

Hello Everyone,

I drank echinecea tea few weeks ago and had a bad experience. I developed severe tachycardia--fast heart rate which was over 200 / minute. i was very nervous but it subsided after resting. I will never do it again.

We just got back from Oahu for Mom's funeral. She passed away in Rhode island, flew her to Honolulu for burial. It was very hectic dealing with 2 funeral parlors but everything went well except accommodations. We had to move to different hotels every 2 days because all hotels were packed. My Mom's house was packed with relatives.

We took 2 days in Maui for R&R which i needed, enjoyed a walk at the beach and admired the rocks.

It was an experience of a lifetime, Mom was 91 and had a good life.

It will be gardening soon here. It was 70 yesterday.

Belle
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9018889

belleig, I would say you have had a very difficult time and for that I am sorry. MIL is 94 and asking God everyday to take her home. "Old age is not for sissies." I pray God Our Father takes me home long before I reach her difficulties.

Sorry, loosing your mother, not matter her age, is not easy.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9019281

Hi, everyone.

I am sorry for your loss, Belle.

We, too, are praying for deliverance. My father's 2nd wife (Thérèse) is now 96 years old and withering away because of dementia and Alzheimer's disease. My dad is 80. He is taking care of her 24/7.

Their doctor and my dad have begun the paperwork required by Québec's medicare system to have her included on the waiting list for placement into a hospice. That can take up to 2 years from filing date to placement. She's not a home-care case anymore. My father objected strenuously to the idea until a few weeks ago. Then, her condition worsened. He has come to accept that this is the only logical solution; for her and for him.

So, here they are: waiting for God. What worries me is that my dad will wear away faster than she does. He's all the family I have left. I'd love for him to come and live with us in Florida when this ordeal is over. He told me yesterday that he hasn't set foot outside the house in 2 years, except to clear the snow while "keeping an eye" on her. It seems my dad has the gift of ubiquity. I remember my snow clearing days. While I was outside, I couldn't be inside at the same time. He considers himself lucky because the grocery store down the street accepts phone orders and delivers within 2 hours. It can't be easy living like that.

When the deliverance comes, it will hard to see her go, but what a relief it will be for everyone.

Horrible story true here: One of my great-uncles on my mom's side said that his elderly , chronically sick and unsufferable wife hung on to dear life because
a) God didn't want her in heaven because things were going very well up there;
b) The Devil didn't want her in hades because things were already bad enough down there;
c) The whole argument was moot point because Death was afraid to go anywhere near her.

Then, he would laugh until tears ran down his cheeks. My mom's side had some seriously weird people. That great-aunt survived her husband and lived well into her 90s, too.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9019356

Mike is at the Assisted Living facility with his mother right now. She complains about every single thing and wants him to change it. Oh dear, this is not what we expected to be doing in our 70's.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 26, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9020957

Sylvain,

Thank you.

Mom used to live in Oahu till no one could take care of her. Brother could not handle her daily care and home care was $6,000.00 / month. We do not have that type of cash so my sister from Rhode Island took her for 3-1/2 years but the last 10 months she could not be left alone anymore so she went to a senior day care which she loved. Some one came to get her ready in the morning and then some one took care of her after day care.

she was denied medicaid because of property in Hawaii so it was self pay which was a fortune. My sister is awaiting bills from them and worries that she could not pay them. The house is on probate and i do not know when it will be sold.

Your Dad is only 80 so he should still be self sufficient. i hope you can get him to go to Florida. he deserves a rest.

I was very lucky to have a sister who took care of my Mom!!!

Belle
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9022727

So sorry to hear of your loss, Belle! Our probate went well, I hope yours does as well.

Christi, will keep you and Mike and family in our prayers! Sylvain, you and your also!

Hope everyone else is well!

Jeanne
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9058532

Looks like it's quiet on the Coconut wireless.

Just want to update you guys...Jungle Heights officially turns out the lights Thursday night. I decided to rent the house and not sell. I was fortunate as it rented in 1 day, and had to decide between 3 applicants. Not expecting to rent the place so quickly, I will be staying with a friend till mid April, then head to Chicago.
My new address is
1342 W. Farwell ave, apt#1
Chicago Il 60626

The Brownstone is about 2 blocks from Lake Michigan in a neighborhood called Rogers Park.
Aloha

The new tenants are very excited to live here, they were already in the neighborhood, but the house they were renting was suddenly sold. The tree fern sounds like it will be taken care of, in fact when they came through initially to see the house, she had asked me how to take care of it. Do you think that influenced me!? heck yeah

Rj

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9059322

I still think you need to dig it up and ship it to me for safe keeping . . . along with the rangoon too!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 27, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9059429

Hi, everyone.

How nice to see the coconut wireless relive!

Now, I don't want to trump phughes, but that australian tree fern would much happier in South Florida. You decide, RJH. It's all in good fun.

Take care, all.
Sylvain, a.k.a. Pu'ole, or Eiwa Manamana - although I don't dwell on that too much.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9060769

Sylvain,

You are too much for soliciting valuable well loved plants. (you beat me to it!!!!)

RJ

So glad all is working in you favor and to have someone interested in the plants is a gift from God.
Happy trails ahead for you...Roy and Dale. Hehehehe

Maybe see you in Chi-town.

Hap

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9062434

Certainly hate to see you go Randy, but do wish you the very best.

By the way, if the tree goes anywhere, I am closer! I would love it dearly, and obey any instructions given on it's care!

Jeanne

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 7:29 PM

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 29, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9062638

Hi, everyone.

RJ, it looks like you could auction off that tree fern.

Just a thought.

Sylvain.
phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9063101

Now guys--I have first dibs on that tree fern or else I get out the machete and no one gets it!!!! LOL

Patty
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9063140

So glad to see almost everyone here. Oh, Jeeeennnnnie, where are you?

RJ
Have just taken a stroll around my garden and many of my plants originated in The Heights. What a truly wonderful person you are. Chicago is gaining a jewel.

Pu'ole, hope your foot is doing ok.

Happy Friday to all.

PK
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9063881

Thanks guys.
Sylvain, you must be thinking too much!
Moving truck came yesterday, and the swat team packed and loaded, have a couple more weeks at a friends before I leave.
The garden here is going to be a monster this year.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9065982

I was just down there in Texas for a few days and got back a couple hours ago. Went to Tyler to suprise some family. lol. Long drive but oh so worth it!!! Thought of all of you down there while I was down there!! No time for seeing anyone though. Left Friday and spent the whole time with family.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9065984

Rj, you'll only be 8 hours or so from me now instead of 12-14 hours!! lol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9066736

pepper, woke up thinking about you this morning. how strange is that? Glad to know you are ok and enjoying life. We toured the Texas Hill Country last week and have never, ever seen the bluebonnets so plentiful. My backyard is covered in poppies and larkspur and 100's of other seed popping up. God is good.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012

Post #9067427

I noticed the bluebonnets also. My grandma wasn't sure if that was what they were til I told her they were.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9069021

Pepper, Glad you enjoyed your trip and are safe and sound!

Christi, hope the tornado's did not get too close to you...That was something, it picking up those trailer beds and throwing them in the air like toys!

Took the plants out of the GH last night, so rested today. Now when it rains they can get water too. Hopefully we will not have another freeze this year. If so I will be covering them up with sheets...

Happy Easter everyone!

Jeanne
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9069764

We missed the tornado by 2 miles one way and about 3 miles another. Things are truly bad over a huge area. Paper says we had 2 super cells collide spinning off 12 tornadoes with high winds, heavy rain and hail. Today is beautiful. Pray for the many who lost their homes. Just thanking God that there were no deaths or serious injuries. What a blessing.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9070087

Glad to hear the tornadoes missed you Christi!! I had been wondering how close you were to them. Glad you weren't any closer.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9086654

So glad you are OK Christi! Good to hear from you too, Pepper!

We are OK...been working at Mom's so really having to take it slow. We are going to go ahead and list it with a realtor I believe. We have a few more things to do before listing it.

Take Care Everyone!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9107914

There was more to do at Mom's than I had planned, so we are still working there, but are gaining ground, and almost to the end I think. We hope to have it on the market soon.

Hope everyone is OK!

Has this party moved elsewhere???????

Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 3, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9108341

Hi, all.

I was out taking pictures of my passionflower vines a few minutes ago. I'll share them with you. Please notice the bee working in the first picture. The third picture shows one of them flea-bitten varmint caterpillars munching on a bud. That's one flower we'll never enjoy. I'm off to mix a batch of BT before the infestation eats the whole plant. Bare trellis: nevermore!

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire   Thumbnail by lourspolaire   Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9108612

Yikes, Syvain...

That sucker is ugly!

Hugs
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9109269

That caterpillar reminds me of the little green one that got me yesterday at work. I was trimming roses when my left knuckle started feeling weird. Looked down and I had a very small green something on my hand and it either bit me or stung me. I have 2 spots on my hand that look like small cigarette burns. They itched like crazy for a little while and the area swelled up pretty good. Was swollen for rest of the day.

Love the passion vine blooms Sylvain!!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 7, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9114106

Has anyone heard from Jenny (Braveheartsmom)? She hasn't answered my last couple of Dmails and I'm a bit worried.

I'm in San Diego. Picked up my new vehicle - a former ambulance. I will be here for knee replacement surgery in June or July. Looking for people to contact while I'm here so let me know if you know anyone in this area who might like to make a new friend. I'm a bit nervous about the surgery, it is more serious than any I've had before, and would appreciate any support that comes my way.

Things are warming up in Mexico. Tony is still with me. Don't know what I'd do without him. He just became a grandfather so I think I'm a great-grandmother now. The baby is on mainland Mexico with his parents.. His father is Tony's oldest son Luis who did graduate high school and have a year of college.

Weather is beautiufl here in San Diego and I'm getting to know my former ambulance.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9115474

I, too, have tried to contact Jennie. No reply.

Will be praying for you Katie, that the surgery goes well and you recover quickly.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 8, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9116088

Aloha, my cyber ohana everywhere.

The previous posts regarding Jenn's absence from DG worried me deeply. So, I decided to call her. Having unlimited worldwide long distance does have its advantages: call Hawai'i as if you were calling across the street. I love it.

I have reached Jenn in 3 rings. I have informed her that her absence had been noted. As she put it, life has gotten in the way of Dave's Garden. She reports she is fine and will make an appearance here soon. She also apologizes for any worries her absence may have caused.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9116320

Glad to hear of it Sylvain. Thanks for calling her up for us!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9116362

Good to hear from everyone! It has been great weather here and the daylilies and Rose of Sharon are in bloom.

We are still working at Mom's house, but have a meeting with a Realtor on Thurs to put it on the market. Please pray it sells quickly.

Love to all!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 9, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9117300

Thank you, Sylvain. I'm relieved.

Waiting for my new puter to come in the mail so I can head for home in my new-to-me former ambulance.

katie
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9118483

Aloha my dear friends,

So sorry it's been so long since I have even touched the computer let alone checked in here at Daves. Thank you so much for the call Sylvain, I was sitting by Mom so I couldn't say much...

We have had a very rough winter with my Mom. It got so bad that many family members came to visit - we really thought she was on her way out and she is the last of her generation. My own family has been here from the end of March to the begining of May to relieve me of some of the nursing and I finally got a little rest. She is a little better now and the Dr's seem to have got some of the infections that she was getting under control, but she is terribly under weight and has aged a lot over the last 6 months. It's very hard to watch it happening to your Mom, but she is also not the easiest of patients to deal with as she had become very fretfull and depressed. The doctor has now put her on anti-depressants which has helped with her attitude - I haven't heard her say that she just wants to go to bed and die for almost a week now which is a relief.

I gave my notice in at work last Monday, and already I feel lighter without having to cope with that too...I will be working (within reason) for a few more weeks until they replace me. I shall miss all the guys I work with and the owners and visitors but it is for the best for sure.

I hope all is well in your worlds and I send all my love to you guys,

Jenn
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9118507

Oh dear. Our beautiful Margaret. Please hug her neck and tell her it is from Mike and I. Mike's mother is 94 1/2 and we had to move her into assisted living in Nov. 2010. She is very unhappy and says the same phrase...I just wish I could die. Keeps us hopping. She is now 8 miles away instead of 75 so that is some better. I'm sorry for the circumstance but glad to know you are still with us. Just so you know, you're still at the top of the list. Love you a lot.

Princess Kilikina (haven't been Princess in a long time)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9120382

Oh Jen, so sorry to hear about your Mom. I definately know what it is to see them decline. Mother went downhill in approx one month, and was gone. Each day seemed like eternity, but in reality, a month is not very long.

We will be praying for you, your Mom and your family. HUGS to all of you, Jen!

It will be a year next month that Mom passed away and we are just now getting her house on the market. It was listed yesterday and went on MLS today. I pray it sells quickly.

I am resting today, but will have to start back packing dishes on Monday, and finish cleaning out the garage. It takes time to go thru forty years of accumulation.

Hope everyone else is well. The weather here has been sooooo nice and we got rain in the night last night so I don't have to water today. Yea!!!!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's out there!

Aloha!
Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 12, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9120669

Jeanne,
Good luck with selling your Mom's house. I do not know what is going on on my Mom's house. My neice is consulting probate Lawyers. it make it hard because of the distance.

Jen,

I just lost my Mom last Feb 9, she lived in Hawaii but my sister took her to Rhode Island for 3 years.

there is a forum at DG titled Caregivers and lots of interesting reading.

Good luck!!

Belle

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9121772

Happy Mothers' Day to everone.

I woke up to such a downpour an hour ago, I thought the firemen were hosing the house down. It didn't last. And that's a good thing, really. I am hosting an open house this afternoon. Nobody visits houses for sale in the rain. And the mess that those visitors make on a rainy day. Thankfully, I'm only in charge of showing it, not clean up after them. Well, speak of the Beast... the downpour started again. It's going to be one of those days. The Weather Channel said the other day that Florida's rainy season has started a full month ahead of schedule. But the plants love it. Who am I to complain?

In other news, it's o'oku here: a made-up hawai'ian word I learned at the orchid society meaning Operation Orchid Klean Up. I have orchids that have done exactly NOTHING since I got them, some as long as 2 years ago. I concluded that they didn't like where they were, or how they were treated. So, orchids that were in the shade will be relocated to half-sun. Others that were in half-sun will be moved to more sun if their leaves didn't burn. Those that were in full sun will stay there but get a stern warning that they are teetering on the edge of the garbage can's rim. And everyone will be getting a heavy dose of orchid bloom booster. Next January, any orchid that hasn't performed will go to that big compost heap in the sky. I have been unchracteristically patient with that lot. No more Mr. NiceBear.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 13, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9121895

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!!!
Good morning everyone!!!

We are on a family vacation in Fort Walton Florida and stopped by Jo Patti's seafood in Pensacola to buy 25 lbs of royal red shrimp and boy the place was packed. Our children also bought the jumbo regular shrimp. fish and clams as well as 2 boxes of oysters. they said it is my treat for mothers day. they also bought some smoked fish.

We had the shrimp and some oysters last night and are delish!!! Such good children!!!

It poured this morning and so we are going to the outlet mall. DH and SIL is staying behind. We are taking my 2.5 year old grandson.

Hope the sun comes out in aM so we can go to the beach otherwise the pool will come in handy.

Have a good day !!!

Belle
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9121953

Rained here all day yesterday and the night before. Thank you, Lord. Perfectly beautiful today. Out to the flower garden to thank Him for all my blessings,

Happy Mother's Day to all.

PK
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9122536

Happy Mother's Day to you mothers on this forum!!

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9122550

Happy Mothers Day!
Here is a picture of my beautiful Mom!

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 13, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9122668

Your Mom is Gorgeous!!!

Belle
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9123159

And she hasn't lost any of her beauty. Thinking of you, Jen,
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2012

Post #9131824

sylvain, that passion vine is gorgeous. i would love a trade. i have a few hoyas, dragon fruit, or even the possum purple passion vine.

Thumbnail by candela

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9132068

Hi, all.

Cassandra, you are in luck. I just found some rooted passionflower cuttings I had forgotten. Mother Nature took care of them and they're good to go. I plan to be in the Miami area one day in the beginning of June. My friend Marc-André wants to go visit Ree Gardens. They are having their plant sale from May 25th to 27th, but she has given me permission to send her email and request a private visit. They're such nice people and their plants are just to die for.

So, I'll earmark those passionflower babies for you. We'll arrange the trade later. I never thought, 6 years ago, that I would eventually have anything an accomplished gardener such as yourself might consider obtaining from me. You do me too much honor. Would you also like to have a silkfloss tree seedling (seiba speciosum)?

Take care.
Sylvain.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9132160

sylvain, if you want to stop by my jungle on the way down or back you are more than welcome. i am off on sat, sun, mon, and weds.so if it turns out to be a one of those days. you should drop by. palm hammock orchid estate is close to ree gardens. you should check that out too. i love them both. i would love a silk floss. i had one at the other house. i have absolutely no room, of course, but i will manage to squeeze it in.
cassandra

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9132336

Cassie and Sylvain, how do you keep your passion vines in check? I just whacked down a huge white one, I had never seen it bloom but when I brought it down there were buds, I put a few cuttings in water and the flowers are opening. It had searched for the sun and was blooming about 20+' up in the tree tops. This was a thick vine and it was pulling grown trees down.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9132420

Ardesia I am not sure yet. I have one possum purple in a huge pot growing over a pergola kind of thing. The root is really thick. It is about 3 years old and the first time it has flowered/fruited. My concern now is that it is starting to grow over the house. I plan on hacking it back after it fruits. I just got a couple of cutting of an alba and lady Margaret from kayjones that are doing fine on a chain link fence. I hope I can just hack them back when they get out of control.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9132602

Hi, Ardesia. I think of you often, as I tend my lotus. They came from your garden. They are blooming now. Oh, how I love them.

How do I keep my passionflower vine in check? I don't even have to worry about it. It grows in cycles: lush greenery, followed by gulf fritillary caterpillars that eat it down to nothing and it starts over again. We are currently in the middle of a lush period, but those caterpillars are showing up now and then. Also, I have been giving some to my neighbors and sharing with fellow gardeners. Mine is 8 feet tall by 5 feet wide and about 3 feet thick. It is a vigorous grower. Would you like some? I'd gladly mail you some.

Cassandra, I'll try to line up one of your days off with our visit to Ree's Garden. Thanks for reminding me of Palm Hammock. I always forget about them.

Take care.
Sylvain.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9133099

Thank you Sylvain, but no more passion vines for me. I love the gulf frits but they were not doing their job on this passi, it was taking over. I have identified it as 'Charlotte Corday'. I don't rememeber buying it but it does have distinctive leaves, maybe I did. LOL That is what happens when you get old.

See the 5th post here for the picture of the open flower of this lovely thug.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257881/

This message was edited May 22, 2012 6:49 AM
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9146081

Hope everyone is OK. My sister is now in rehab. You can read details over on the prayer forum.

We have an offer on Mom's house, so pray it passes inspection. If so we will close in 30 days!

It's been absolutely gorgeous weather here, so everything is really growing at full speed, esp. the weeds!

Take care, and Aloha!

Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9147484

Hi, everyone.

This threading, at 304 replies, is getting a tad long in the tooth. Please allow me to start a new one.

We are now at:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262494/

See you next door.
Sylvain.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America