Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4: Wonderful!

Communities > Forums > Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4Replies: 8, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

July 18, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8698964

Good job, you two!

I'm struggling with a few potted plants here in hot and droughty OKC this year. Am glad I didn't do raised beds this year. However, I might have to try one of these elevated beds next year in an area that gets afternoon shade!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8699032

I feel for the folks in Oklahoma right now...we're horribly hot, but not like ya'll.

Adding the organic material was a big help to retaining moisture and I'm glad I did that. I'm hopeful that the fall plantings of pac choi and other brassicas will be successful too.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8699241

Lookin' good to me, Melody and Terry. Ya'll are getting nice harvest and a nice variety from those beds. And no weeding to boot. (At last, a reprieve from the Bermuda grass, eh Terry!)

I can see putting some hoops over those beds fairly easily, too, helping to prolong harvests into the frost weather.

Nice pics!

Shoe

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8699293

I'm already figuring out what I'll need to make a fitted plastic fitted cover on my sewing machine.
Something I can just drop over the hoops and a flap or two for ventilation.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8700151

Figgers! I knew you were thinking ahead!
*grin

Shoe

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8700197

I'm thinking a clear shower curtain my do the trick.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8700319

Yeh, and it's probably thick enough to put a hem on it, too. (yeh yeh, I know how to sew!)

Some number 9 wire is easy to work with for hoops, easily available at box stores. Either drill 1/8 inch holes directly in the walls or just stick the hoops down in the soil.

Off to cook some cowpeas for supper...

Shoe
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

July 20, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8703608

Yes, Melody, I'm sure glad to have the rain barrels now that we are rationing water, too!
I can hand water my pots every morning once the water in the barrels has had a chance to cool down a bit. It's the temperature of bathwater by evening.

I'm still only watering the lawn and most plants once a week, very deeply, mulching like crazy, and only watering a few in-ground plants (hydrangea, brugmansia, weigela) twice a week, deeply.
The ones who are losing lawns and plants are those who water twice a day for 15 minutes. Water just can't soak deeply enough to reach the root zone by doing that.

I wonder if you could combine the idea of hoops with the idea of tomato cages and have a metal structure that would provide two uses, one for summer and one for fall and spring?
Maybe a hoop structure that has high enough, strong enough hoops that you could tie up your tomatoes in the summer and tent the beds for fall and spring?

Only trouble is you might want to insulate the bottom with something to keep the cold air out.
Perhaps reuse a sheet of styrofoam and make drainage holes by inserting a little copper tubing?
Just a few thoughts out loud!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8703630

I've thought of insulation for the bottom too and considered using a heat lamp at night. If the bed is covered, and the plastic comes down nearly to the concrete, one of those 'brooder light' set ups might work. I have grounded outlets right there, heat rises, and then, on nights or days that aren't cold, I just don't flip the switch.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4 Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wow! Everything is looking good! Cville_Gardener 0 Jul 16, 2011 1:28 PM
Raised bed plantings bajamavourneen 1 Jul 18, 2011 7:52 AM
Tung Oil DaleTheGardener 8 Jul 20, 2011 6:00 AM
Great photos! TaliaRose 1 Jul 19, 2011 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America