What's for dinner? (Part 15)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194968/#new

Tonight my "boys" are on their own - there are a couple leftover burgers and a package of brats they can grill out, but I'm headed to a get-together with some friends and Swimmer Girl is in Joplin MO, volunteering a week to help clean up storm debris.

I am trying some new dishes this week, including a new bean salad recipe, a BLT pasta salad, and a version of Chicken Divan that has the broccoli stuffed in a rolled chicken breast. We'll see how that goes...

So what's everybody else fixing for dinner tonight?.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Shrimp salad with artichoke hearts and avocado.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I came across the Flowers of Scotland seasoning in a historic cheese called Crowdie. (First post is on yesterday's thread.) Here's the cheese...

Thumbnail by darius
Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Meezers, that sounds yummy. Is there a recipe or do you just wing it?

I have a recipe for a shrimp salad stuffed avocado, from "Cooking for Two". Can't remember what's in the shrimp salad, but not typical IIRC.

I like the idea of the artichoke hearts with the avocado and shrimp. I'm always looking for good summer salads!

I just picked a few beans and a bunch of cucumbers, the latter of which I am going to slice, marinate and freeze for winter salads. Most of these are from a volunteer cucumber plant which started fruiting a lot earlier than the ones I sowed this year!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Recipe? I opened the cupboard doors and used whatever fell out.......... Started with the shrimp which were already cleaned, cooked and de-tailed, chopped those up, tossed in a couple of scallions, a handful of celery, diced up a seeded tomato left over from the day before, cooked up some radiatore, drained a can of artichoke hearts. Cut most of the leafy part off the artichokes as they are sometimes too chewy, sliced up the avocado and drenched it with lemon juice and used them for garnish on top. I didn't want Mayo for dressing so I used a mix of vinaigrette and vidalia onion dressing. I thought it could have used a little more crunch.

I have trouble making small quantities of any kind of main course salad. By the time I get everything I want in it, there's too much for one meal. And sometimes two.

Columbus, OH

Buffalo hot dogs, lemon orzo, and broccoli/cauliflower.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
I have trouble making small quantities of any kind of main course salad. By the time I get everything I want in it, there's too much for one meal. And sometimes two.

Ho Boy can I relate to that statement. Sometimes you'd think an army was coming to dinner. Fortunately the DH is fine with the same main dish several days in a row. And I have a small freezer

Darius, I looked up the site for Uncle Roy's Flowers of Scotland.........there's lots of interesting stuff there, like Smoked Garlic Granules and Smokey Scotch Wiskey Salt. What about Moffat Magic Mushroom and Mustard Sauce??

Last night was the chicken won ton soup and it was very good. LOTS of won tons left over, I froze 'em. They look like little ravioli's.

Thanks, Meezers! I have trouble making small quantities, too, but it's also lovely to have dinner all made for another night~

Columbus, OH

I have the same trouble, with just two of us. I try to plan it so that I can add something to the salad the second day to make it at least somewhat different.

My husband likes to take his lunch, so that's where a lot of our leftovers go :-)

If we don't have enough leftovers for dinner, ours become lunch, too. Especially leftovers from restaurant meals are always fun to have the next day.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Before DH retired, I didn't have this problem. He took it to work and nuked it for his lunch, while his coworkers stood around drooling. Now, we seldom eat lunch, just late breakfast and then an evening meal.

I have figured out how to do potato salad. l put out everything I need, and then I put half of it back. Ha. Then I have enough for two meals. Main courses like chops or marinara or ribs I don't mind having leftovers, they go in the freezer for a lazy day. If we have steak left it becomes ragout or soup or...... They had a nice buy on sliced mushrooms yesterday at the market, so I carmelized a couple of Vidalias, and threw them in with some garlic and Worchestershire and pepper and those are now residing in the freezer. We have two uprights. I have sworn not to buy any more meat until I use up what we have in them.

Leftover steak is destined to become a steak sandwich here. In fact, my family will line up with plates in hand and beg and grovel if they hear there's a chance for steak sandwiches to be on the menu. (Nothing special - I cut them into strips, saute them with a little butter and worcestershire until they're just heated through, and then griddle some French bread slices to pile the meat on. But they really REALLY like 'em :-)

Bubba, if you are still lurking, Happy Birthday!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

From me too Bubba!

Okay you enablers - tomorrow I'll be nearby the Penzey's spice market so plan to stop there for the Aleppo pepper and Raspberry whatever it's called......and probably a few other things too. The address for Penzey's is exactly the same as Whole Foods so I'm guessing it's not a Penzy's store so much as Whole Foods carries their brand. Does this make sense?

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I love that photo Darius.

Making an oriental salad. Got to get the napa still and the honey roasted peanuts. Got the dried cherries and the Chilean raisins ( dark/ sweet like molasses) and it is already almost three pm wow day off and cleaning most of day. I am getting slow or the clock is on speed.

I"m going to cheat with the mandarin oranges and use canned....I know..I know.... I love this crunchy salad and even better left over.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Raspberry Enlightenment....

The other day I wanted to make a mac-n-cheesy dish with shrimp and broccoli, so I did a béchamel sauce, added cheese, and then mixed it with the pasta to see if that would give the result I wanted. It didn't really; it was okay but not terrific. Today my 14-year-old granddaughter is over. She has some sort of bug, so she hasn't been eating, but she told me that she really had a yen for some mac-n-cheese. This time I got out Joy of Cooking, since I have actually never made macaroni and cheese, and followed a recipe with what I had on hand, which was provolone and grated romano cheese. She was thrilled with the results, and now, since I'm warming up the shrimp dish for our supper, I took a leaf from the mac-n-cheese recipe and beat up an egg with some milk, poured it over the shrimp dish, and added some grated cheese and breadcrumbs on the top. You learn something new every day!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I put together a variation on eggplant parmesan. sliced the eggplant,
sprayed on a little olive oil and then grilled the slices along with some
onion slices. I pulled out one of the last roasted tomato sauce pints from
the freezer and layered the veggies, fresh tomato slices & some fresh
mozzarella. Cooked it for a bit and it was delicious!

Tam

GreenH-gal...add a wee bit of bacon and you have carbonara.

Missingrosie, somehow that doesn't work as well with bowtie pasta, though. We used to love carbonara; haven't had it in years!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

tonight we splurged with beef tenderloin, baked potatoes, roasted carrots and green beans. Ended with brownies and ice cream. My sister was over and she is very ill so it was good to cheer her up with some fun food. Actually DH made my sister a brownie/chocolate chip/fresh cherries/almond combo with ice cream.

Doss, that sounds good. How did you cook your tenderloin? I do a lot of pork loins and tenderloins but I've always shied away from beef because I can't seem to get it tender. (I know, the irony of a tough tenderloin :-) Any tips or pointers?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

You could try Beef Wellington, the pastry dough keeps the beef moist and prevents overcooking. It isn't as hard as it sounds. I've had a stringy beef tenderloin on occasion and I don't know that there's much you can do with one that looks tough except maybe to brine it and then pound the living #$% out of it and flash fry it. Tenderizer doesn't do much except make the beef mushy. Maybe a marinade would help.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I just put salt and pepper on mine and cook it at 350 for 25-30 minutes until the internal temp is 130-135. More than that and it won't be any good. I have a recipe for a wonderful rub but it comes out just fine plain. Some people sear it before putting in the oven and that does give it a nicer edge. Here's the recipe for the rub.
Black pepper spice rubbed beef tenderloin.

1 and 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1 and 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1 and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (preferably brown)
1/2 tsp whole cloves
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
4 green cardamom pods, crushed, reserving seeds and discarding pods
1 (1 and 1/2 inch) cinnamon stick, broken into small pieces
1 and 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt or kosher salt
1 2pound trimmed and tied center-cut beef tenderloin roast at room temperature for 30 minutes
1 and 1/4 Tbsp vegetable oil

Toast spices and salt in a dry 10 inch skillet over meduim low heat until mustard seeds begin to pop, 3-5 minutes. Cool completely then grind in grinder
Preheat oven to 350% rack in middle
Pat beef dry then rub spice mixture all over including ends. Heat oil in same skillet over high heat until it shimmers. Brown beef on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
Transfer beef to a small roasting pan and roast until meat registers 120 degrees for meduim-rare, 20-30 minutes. (internal temp will rise to 130).
Cut off string and slice beef. Serve warm or at room temp.
Note, beef can be rubbed with spices 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Let stand at room temp for 30 minutes before browning.

I buy my tenderloin at Costco. The raw meat freezes well which is a good thing since you have to buy two.

Good to know. My menu is planned out for this week, but I might have to try a tenderloin next week. Thanks!

That rub looks good
I bet your sis felt cherished indeed

I roast at higher heat.
Like this recipe from fine dining.

If you check the fine dining recipes for beef tenderloin you will find a few good there

Hard to find tenderloin nowadays that has good marbling which helps with the tenderness. I have mostly gone to standing rib when I get a hankering for beef and mashed pot with a wine sauce. Also let it stand to reabsorb the juices.

1 2-1/2- to 3-lb. beef tenderloin roast (preferably the head piece), trimmed of silverskin, at room temperature
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbs. cold unsalted butter
3 large shallots, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup dry red wine, preferably a fruity California Cabernet Sauvignon
1 sprig fresh rosemary, plus 1/2 tsp. chopped
3/4 cup homemade or low-salt beef broth
Tip: Tip: It’s important to let the beef rest before slicing it; this allows the juices to redistribute from the outside of the roast throughout the whole roast, making this lean cut very juicy.
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 450°F. Brush or rub the beef with the oil and put the beef in a 9x13-inch roasting pan lined with aluminum foil. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper.

Roast the beef until an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F to 125°F for rare, about 25 min.; 125°F to 130°F for medium rare, about 30 min. (The temperature of the beef will rise 5°F as it rests.) Wrap the beef in the foil that lines the pan and let rest on a carving board for 10 to 15 min.

While the beef roasts, make the sauce. Melt 2 Tbs. of the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, until they soften and turn golden brown, 8 to 10 min. Add the wine and the rosemary sprig and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until the volume of wine and shallots reduces to 1/2 cup, about 3 min. Add the broth and continue to boil until the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, about 5 min. Reduce the heat to low. Remove the rosemary sprig and stir in the chopped rosemary. Cut the remaining 2 Tbs. cold butter into small cubes and add a few of them at a time to the sauce, stirring to melt each addition.

Unwrap the tenderloin and stir any accumulated juices into the sauce. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Slice the meat and serve with the sauce.

If you get the Costco it will make several roasts and an end tucked to make four small out of the two.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

You can't understate the need for the meat to be at room temperature, going from cold to hot is traumatic for the beef!!

I'm just dying to join Costco, but ours is so far away it makes a long day out of a shopping trip. I go with my DD occasionally, and emerge like a bag lady with my cart filled to over flowing.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Just a good ole grilled rib-eye steak, and a bottle of catsup.. Maybe a salad & potato.. Usually when steak hungry, all I want is the meat.. Medium rare.. Can't wait.. And it's even gonna get cooked for me by my BIL.. Great..

Larkie

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I have been making my own kefir so have a smoothie for lunch most days. I freeze banana, mango and berries so it's thick like a milkshake when all quizzed together. Ground flax seed adds omega 3 and fiber.

Tam

I'm thinking chicen picata for supper...

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm thinking I better drag something out of the freezer...........

chicken divan and a marinated bean salad. Which means I need to get cracking on the salad if I want the flavors to have any chance to blend at all this afternoon.

Olympia, WA

for lunch.........
From Costco deli section:

Lime and cilantro shrimp wrap ----------- so dang me good!!!!!!!!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Three Costco double cut pork chops left the freezer this morning. I sliced them in half while they were still frozen and will pound them out later for breaded pork cutlets. I use non-fat yogurt or buttermilk instead of egg to wet the meat for breading. We have fresh mozz and basil, a salad and yard long beans as sides. I've got a canner full of garden tomatoes going as I tap this.

For years I fixed breaded pork cutlets and told hubby it was veal. He thought I was a budgeting fool to be able to afford veal on our income. As the years went by and he saw me breading pork.......he said "You are a whiz Honey Bunny....your pork tastes just like veal!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wish I had known about that in my younger days, Missing. I blew our wedding gift money shopping at the prime meat market because that was the meat I grew up with. I was ignorant to southern food then. I went to the regular grocery store and could not identify the meat let alone the cuts. We were both students, part time employed, living in a basement duplex next to a federal housing project. The chain grocery store had five gallon buckets of chitlins in the meat section and five gallon buckets of lard in the baking section. I didn't know a collard green from a mustard green. Guess you could say I was a real turnip seed! I've improved.

I got the tomatoes canned. Thankfully we nibbled enough figs to prevent me from having to make jam today too. There's a lot more on the trees though. I''ll roast the cherries.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Those figs look great -- do you get itchy picking?

Yes, the budget ( of 17 bucks for a weeks food ) went fast. Later we had a child with medical problems and his heart medication had to be compounded to the right dosage for toddlers and served up in thse little waxed packets - it cost 50 dollars! A huge sum! Evenings, my hubby mopped the black and white octagon shaped tile staircases so common in Brooklyn apt buildings just to pay for those meds. He hates those tiny black and white tiles..... I think the tile hid a multitude of sins!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.