Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mamajan42
Corpus Christi, TX

July 18, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8699171

Our castor bean plants used to stop traffic, as folks would inquire about what the plant was. We loved them, until my neighbor planted some of the seeds we collected. We didn't realize that the two dogs she owned were watching her. Soon after, they dug up and ate the seeds, causing both dogs to become so ill they almost perished. It took a lot of money to get them healthy again. I shiver when I think what this plant could do to a youngster. If you want to grow them, be certain there are no dogs or children at risk. I don't grow them anymore, because of the danger. They are beautiful, however! Corpus Christi, Tx.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8700019

Yes it is true these are one of the many plants we grow that can pose dangers to family and pets! Morning Glories and many other plants are all part of this group.
Biker1
McLean, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9169767

I have grown Castor Beans for years, although I have had a dog and children. My policy for all is to not graze among the flowers, in any form, since lots of plants, including houseplants, are poisonous to some degree. There has never been a mishap. Note: The U.S. Botanic Garden Bartholdi Park has grown Castor Beans. They reseed and some are allowed to grow every year. JUST DON'T EAT THE PLANTS!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Annuals You Can Grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Castor Bean etc. - warnings of toxicity medinac 2 Jul 19, 2011 5:27 PM
Another Winner, of course! Aunt_A 2 Jul 11, 2008 8:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America