Photo by Melody

Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4: Raised bed plantings

Communities > Forums > Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4Replies: 1, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bajamavourneen
Playas de Rosarito,
Mexico

July 18, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8699265

This message is coming to you from Playas de Rosarito, Baja CA, Mexico. My gardens are just one level back and 200' from the ocean.
Att 77 and with Multiple Sclerosis, I've wanted to experiment with raised beds for a long time. Would that I could afford what look like incredible ones from Gronomics. My neighbor created one for me and even empty we knew it would be very heavy. so the bed was built with heavy-duty casters that have turning capability.
I see your lining only went partway up the container. Do I need to have plastic all the way to the top? Yes, I'm late getting started in my planting, but we've had a lot of MayGray and JuneGloom here on the coast, so I think I'll be ok with summer veggies/flowers? In placing my new bed - I have several concrete patios on all sides of mi casa - my main concern is protection from our frequent winds, both hot, dry Santanas and later on the cold northern ones. I see that you have great open spaces around your garden. Should I not fill the beds to the top, but leave footage for some wind protection for my plants-to-be?
No photos, yet. I still have to learn how to put them on this site.
Thanks for your great articles, photos, etc.
Baja (bajamavourneen@yahoo.com)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8699291

You'll love your elevated beds! The material in the bottom of the beds is what is known as landscape fabric. Water can drain out through the pores, but none of the soil. I've not had any trouble with soil leaking out anywhere else though, and mine are on concrete, so it would show. If you do not have landscape fabric available, a fine mesh screen (like windowscreen) would work. I'd get plastic if you can find it though, as the metal screen might disintegrate. You just need something in the bottom to keep your concrete clean.

Giving your plants a bit of a wind-break with the sides is probably a good idea. By the time the little plants grow some, they'll be gradually exposed to the wind.
Let us know how it goes!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4 Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wow! Everything is looking good! Cville_Gardener 0 Jul 16, 2011 1:28 PM
Wonderful! jazzy1okc 8 Jul 20, 2011 8:42 AM
Tung Oil DaleTheGardener 8 Jul 20, 2011 6:00 AM
Great photos! TaliaRose 1 Jul 19, 2011 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America