Photo by Melody

Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4: Tung Oil

Communities > Forums > Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4Replies: 8, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 18, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8700006

So has the tung oil treatment kept you boxes in good shape? Daily watering usually makes rot noticeable very quickly.

I love containers>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8700015

Since both planters are made from Western Red Cedar, there's been no signs of deterioration. The tung oil seems to repel water better, but the untreated one looks beautiful too. I'll snap a close-up of the wood so you can see how it looks now. We had some of the worst rains in 100 years here in west KY this spring and some of the most blistering heat this summer and they are still crisp and new looking. I'll be back in a bit with some close up shots of the boxes.
cathylovesroses
Littleton, CO

July 19, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8701593

I enjoyed the pictures and writing. I'm doing the same thing with raised beds that are about 22 inches high. I have a short stool that is the perfect height for sitting and working in the beds. I can't stand and bend over any more. I used a combo of compost and top soil and various organics for the growing medium.

I just added a separate tomato bed 2 1/2 feet wide and 10 feet long along a beige brick wall of my garage to increase the sun getting to the tomatoes. I planted them (heirlooms) in a zig zag pattern. Last year my toms were squeezed into a rectangular box.

I'm glad to hear Terry is watering every morning. I want to water every day but have been afraid of drowning the vegies.

I loved the pics of zinnias in the beds. It's too hot for seeds now but i'm going to pick up a few flowers to add to the beds.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8701910

Here are close-ups of the wood. This is the tung oil treated bed.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8701913

Here's where the posts and bed rails join each other on the tung oil treated bed.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8701916

Here's the natural bed.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8701920

And a close up of where everything joins each other on the natural bed. You can't ask for better quality.

Thumbnail by melody

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8702655

Melody,

Yep, those are some beautiful boxes!

I do, once in a while, get requests for planting beds/boxes make of wood. I will have to try the Tung Oil in the future.

Thanks for the info and photos.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8703177

How beautiful!
The Western Red Cedar is a fantastic wood to use. Here in the south, folks like Black Locust too...it is slow to deteriorate. In the 'old days', farmers used it for fenceposts.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fun Feature: Follow the Progress of our Gronomics Elevated Planters #4 Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wow! Everything is looking good! Cville_Gardener 0 Jul 16, 2011 1:28 PM
Wonderful! jazzy1okc 8 Jul 20, 2011 8:42 AM
Raised bed plantings bajamavourneen 1 Jul 18, 2011 7:52 AM
Great photos! TaliaRose 1 Jul 19, 2011 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America