Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Wild Clematis, an Unexpected Treasure: Joy

Communities > Forums > Article: Wild Clematis, an Unexpected Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Article: Wild Clematis, an Unexpected TreasureReplies: 4, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lortay
Navan
Ireland

July 19, 2011
2:01 AM

Post #8701081

Hi,
Your article really cheered me up this morning. Well written and instantly evocative of trips made, especially the joy of discovering that which was unexpected rather than 'tourist target' sites. I think the best memories are those which steal up on you and it wonderful to discover this very pretty Clematis in such a way.
It brings back memories of finding a fine Daffodil cultivar flurishing in the ruins of a house by the sea in Ireland years ago. The house had been abandoned years before but the Daffodil continued on it's merry way. Who needs humans??

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8705624

Thanks for sharing that memory with me! Traveling to Ireland has always been one of my goals!

The previous owners of our 100+ year old house had planted daffodils around the foundations, and no matter how many times I try to dig them up and relocate them to the front of the border, rather than behind the shrubs they planted sometime later, they persist in coming up each spring right along the foundations of the house. It seems they have their own plans for where to grow, and manage to leave a few starts even when I try to dig them up and move them!

moonrose777
Topeka, KS
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8711144

As I read of your trip, it is 107 degrees here in Kansas. Your well written story was like a drink of cool water. You have a real gift in making me feel as if I were in the car with you seeing those precious little blooms. Were they as blue as they look in your pictures? On my computer they look to be a true blue and that is so rare in the plant world. Thank you for taking my mind off what this awful heat is doing to my new garden, just planted this spring. Now, to find a place to order that wild clem.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8711271

My husband said he had the camera set on some "vivid color" setting, which seemed to intensify the colors. He put it on that setting when photographing a stunning rainbow, and never switched it back. My father-in-law photographed the clematis on the same road, different day, but his colors seem really pale and washed out. Even his greens look dusty. It was distinctly blue, not lavender, as it appears in his photo. Not as blue as larkspur, for example, but blue enough to really catch my eye and make me curious. I can still close my eyes and feel that cold breeze, and hear the splashing water, and see those little flashes of blue amongst all the green. It made such a vivid impression on my mind!

This picture is very true to the actual colors: http://davesgarden.com/tools/blog/viewimage.php?did=78134

Glad you enjoyed the article! It has been in the mid to upper 90's all week here in Illinois here, too, so our snow pictures from our trip to Yellowstone look doubly appealing about now!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 7:37 PM
lortay
Navan
Ireland

July 26, 2011
2:13 AM

Post #8715688

It is still a very pretty blue Clematis. By the way, I can only imagine (and not very well) what such temperatures are like. I think I really like damp cool showery Ireland, lol.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Wild Clematis, an Unexpected Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
The Taste of Discovery and Enlightenment growin 6 Jul 15, 2011 4:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America