Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Refrigerator reviews

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 14, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8702157

OK, my 1982 Maytag just went belly-up. It has served me well but is not worth the $3-400 repair bill. Sooo, on to trying to figure out what frig to get next. This one was a side-side. I'm thinking of a bottom freezer, perhaps french-door variety. Doesn't need to be huge. What I think will likely be more of a problem is finding one that is not black, stainless, or bright white. I prefer the old almond look which has apparently fallen out of favor. I guess I could go with black but it doesn't really appeal to me (seems kind of somber for such a large appliance). I've seen way too many messy messy stainless appliances, although I understand they may have a better coating now. Any thoughts or suggestions? Brands to steer away from, or toward? I am not a shopper, this is like pulling teeth for me.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 5:58 PM
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8702522

I've always heard to steer clear of stainless if you don't like finger prints. Past that I'm not much help.

Our current fridge is a GE and already has two cracks in it. It's barely 2 years old. Our old Frigidaire was great.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

July 19, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8702566

Not much help eiher. But i like white. Never goes out of style but I also have white kitchen cabinets. I hate dark stuff when it comes to inside the house.
I too have a 1991 GE side by side. It had everything replaced under warrantee within the first year or so. Has run like a dream ever since. If I ever replace the fench door with bottom freezer would be my pick. Good luck.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8702597

I'm leaning toward the french door / bottom freezer if I can find it in biscuit - apparently the new name for almond. Nothing is white in my kitchen and I think a pure white would like of glare against everything else which is kind of muted colors. Here's the beast in its corner.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8702838

I had the french door LG fridge at my last house and did not like it. They cost more and things get lost buried in the bottom of the freezer that you forget about and end up throwing away.

I have and old Kenmore that I have had now for 20+ years as my extra fridge in the garage(cold water & drinks..etc.. when gardening) and just purchased a new one for my new house. I got the side by side version and like it very much. The ice maker is awesome.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8703519

Bea, in conjunction with a new frig, we are also going to ditch our old chest freezer, which is sitting in the basement with a couple bags of berries in it. I'm hoping to use the bottom freezer as a mini-chest freezer rather than a catch-all, and have high hopes of keeping it organized (?) We'll see. I found my side-side freezer portion to be pretty cramped. An icemaker and water dispenser is a must for me - I go through a lot of water during the day.

It's been a while since we've had a 'beer frig' in the barn - perhaps I'll move the old one out there.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8714356

I need to replace our fridge, too. I want a colored one---I'm with you. I don't want white, black, or stainless. Ideally, I want a cobalt or navy blue fridge...does such a thing exist??? I plan to replace my range with a blue one also. Those do exist...just not sure about fridges.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8714532

Found one..but the price tag is crazy.. Viking of course!
http://www.yaleappliance.com/Refrigerators/Viking-Range/Built-In-VCSB483CB.aspx
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8714599

Yikes. I had good luck painting a boring white microwave green but that was a much smaller appliance. Actually, I did also paint my folks old rusty frig years ago but that was a hand-me-down and the end result was not that important. I wonder what it would cost to have a auto-shop painter do a frig...??
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

July 25, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8714901

Not sure how they do it but they put wood like cabinets on a frig. Might be only on a sub-zero frig. Would that interest you?
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8715257

Not so much the wood look, I already have a lot of medium toned birch cabinets and I think it would be difficult to match and perhaps be too much wood. I just want a nice not-bright white almondy frig if I can find one. If not, I'm also due for a new dishwasher so maybe by matching the two it will be a bit more cohesive.

Is there anything more boring than appliance shopping...???

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 7:51 PM
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8716280

I got a new Sears fridge a few years ago and the plastic in door cracked in a couple of places way too soon. If you research, you find that nearly all fridges are made by relatively few manufacturers. I loved one I had with the freezer on the bottom way back when.

By the way, Julie said that the cost of proper material to have one painted would be VERY cost prohibitive.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8718504

I have an Amana which I like and haven't had any problems with. When I was looking, the only bisquit colored fridge I could find was I believe an LG from Lowe's. Well, I did find others but they were more expensive fridges, not in my price budget. And I'm not even 100% sure they were sold in the U.S. I ended up getting a black one because a lot of things in our kitchen are black. Doesn't show the dirt!

I have a bottom freezer and one door. I felt you could get more in the door slots with one single door. I really like the bottom freezer.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8718599

I do have a black coffee maker and I am often appalled at how totally filthy it actually is when I go to clean it -- it does a great job at hiding coffee goo. Embarrassingly so.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8719057

My stovetop is black and shows every bit of dust and animal hair. :( I don't know why the fridge does not, but I'm glad!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America