Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Perennials: Maging Dianthus Inchmery

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 9, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

July 20, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8703616

I love dianthus inchmery but have never been able to get it to thrive. It usually survives in our borderline 4/5 climate. I have stopped winter mulching on advice of someone here, and I think that was good. In particular, in the spring there is a month or more of looking at last year's dead leaves before a few green sprouts begin on the end of those ugly branches. Eventually, mid June or later, the dead leaves finally disappear and are replaced by the green (gray). Is there anything I can do to prevent that long ugly period? Is cutting back ever advised? And, in general, can I get the plants to grow bigger, create more blooms and re-bloom after deadheading? They're growing in a perennial garden that gets compost every fall. When planted the holes were amended with rock phosphate and greensand. Other perennials in the garden do fine.

TIA

P.S. The title of this thread is supposed to be "Managing Dianthus Inchmery," of course. :-)
LAS

This message was edited Aug 6, 2011 9:42 PM
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 6, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8740900

Hi, I'm bumping this up also, in hopes of getting different eyes on it, perhaps some dianthus gurus. I just did notice, though, that a seed packet I have for dianthus fenbow says soil "preferably with lime." I do put wood ashes on my delphinium and campanula. I'll add dianthus to the list.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 9, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8746540

Just my 2 cents worth. Could your dianthus be too wet through the winter? Not sure that they'd like their crowns covered by mulch. I'm thinking they might like more of a rock garden setting with good drainage. I have only 'Mountain Mist' due to little sun. I learned not to prune it much in the spring or lose some flowers. Maybe cutting it back right after it's done blooming? I don't fertilize mine much but loosening up my clay-based soil seems to help. You might want to check in with some of the rock gardeners.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

July 24, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9216832

bump again - A year later and they're still surviving but still not thriving. Last fall I dosed each plant with a handful of wood ashes, for the alkalinity. Here's a picture of one plant. It bloomed, but no re-blooming in spite of dead heading.

TIA
LAS

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 11:42 AM
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

July 24, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9216835

Ooops. I forgot to attach the picture.

Thumbnail by LAS14
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9217016

I wonder if your soil is a little too heavy for it--as Cindy mentioned they would probably be happier in a rock garden type setting so really great drainage is going to make them much happier.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 24, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9217348

Hmmm - how much sun does your dianthus get? Is it possible that the pH is getting too high for it? A handful of wood ash seems like an awful lot to me.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9221809

CindyMzone5, I'll do a ph test. I added another handful the other day. Might have been a mistake????

Thanks,
LAS
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 29, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9222272

I don't have any experience with wood ash but had heard that one doesn't need much to adjust pH levels. Maybe it's creating a potassium level that's too high? You might want to do a little research on the web before adding any more ash.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9237252

They really need to be divided every 2-3 years. Finicky little things they are.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America