Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: applique a 1920's Dresden plate

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 11, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8704033

Received over 30 Dresden plate for a wedding gift in 1961. It was pieced in the 1920's. After all these years I have decided to attempt to applique onto squares and piece a quilt. I need help. First of all, I appreciate that this was made with such perfection way back when. I do not want to compromise it in any way. But, I am not a hand needle person. Do everything on the Brother 7500 and the Baby Lock serger.
I do have the blanket stitch on the machine but am stymied by how to turn under the raw edges without taking the rest of my life to do it.
I know all of the long, hard ways but am looking for a miracle. Hoping someone here has come upon a shortcut. Not really thinking there could be short cut to do it right, but one can always dream.

I do know how to cut the blocks, sashing and all that. It is turning under the curved edges that is bothering me.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8704114

Gee Lou, it sounds like you may not have any choice about compromising the pieces. Do you have the material they were to be mounted on? Is it as old as the plates? Were the plates hand or machine stitched? These are questions I would want answered before I tried to offer an opinion.
I always hand stitch my applique and haven't tried doing it by machine. I guess I just like the control I have by doing it that way. And if the plates were hand stitched, I would only hand stitch the rest of the quilt. If not, then the only way I can think of would be to turn your edges under and press really well and then mount it to your square. I'm sure there are others here who would have very different ideas.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8704139

With an heirloom like this, I would definately do needle turn applique on the "plates".
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8704186

I received only the plates, no fabric for the squares or sashing. My mother was a quilter and I do have her stash there is probably enough to create sashing of the same period with the blocks from unbleached muslin. There are 22 petals per plate and appear to have been machine stitched, albeit on a treadle machine. I have always known what the right thing to do was I just don't want to do it. Trying to learn how to upload pictures on this mac laptop. When I do, I will post pictures.

Thank you for your help. Guess I just needed to have confirmation of what I already knew.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8704218

If it is too much for you Lou, perhaps there is a church group or a quilter's guild near you that would take on a project like that???
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8704313

My mother belonged to a large quilting club. I am in a suburb of Dallas and there is the Dallas Quilt Guild also the Trinity Quilt Guild is in nearby Ft. Worth. I will look into it.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8704320

Just a thought that may help. At the very least, they can give you some good advice..
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8704372

I thank you for your thoughts. Just needed to see if a miracle had been produced lately. hahaha
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

July 24, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8712338

LouC,

You don't actually live very far from me. I would be happy to go over and show you how to turn those edges easily and get the plates ready to applique. I LOVE hand work, myself and although I'm not good at machine applique, I know that we could use the starch method to turn the pieces under along the curved edges and prepare them for applique.

They would be very precise and crisp along the edges and we can use Roxanne's Glue Baste-It or Elmer's Washable School Glue to baste them to your fabric squares. It's a little time-consuming, but it's very easy and it does not compromise the fabric at all. I think that under the labels they're basically the same starch-based product - both of them wash out easily with a soak and a little hand-scrubbing or a trip through the washing machine. It would probably take 15-20 minutes each to prepare the plates.

I would sew the plates onto the background squares and leave the background fabric uncut - in other words, I would not trim out the background behind the plates. Leaving the background fabric will keep the plates supported, especially after it's all quilted.

I would also pre-wash and press the background fabric, then serge it into squares. Lots of fabrics shrink a lot more in one direction than they do in the other - you don't want to spend this much time on a project and then have the plates come out all wonky looking after one wash.

Just D-mail me if you want some help. :)
Elizabeth

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8712353

Wow!! what an offer Lou. Elizabeth is a very qualified quilter to help you. You couldn't go wrong there...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8712570

Elizabeth, you have mail. wow! what an offer!
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

July 24, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8712819

Well, I don't know that it's all that great an offer, because I'm truly no great quilter.

But, I sure appreciate the votes of confidence even though they turned me three shades of beet red - thank you! :)

I got your note and I'll call you this evening or tomorrow, LouC. I need to figger out what-alls happening around here - even I'm "retired," seems like everything happens in rashes and then all is quiet, again. :)
Elizabeth

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America