Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Removing Lint from the Dryer

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I have a Maytag dryer and am wondering how to remove the front so I can thoroughly clean the lint from the inside. I always clean the lint trap and once paid a fortune to have a professional "lint removal team" do it for me, but thought perhaps I could learn to do it myself. Thanks in advance.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi Haighr~~
Can't directly help but I have wondered if I should worry about any lint sneaking by the filter on my older machine. I have used 'aquarium ' brushes to reach into fridge coils, they come with bendy handles and couple different bristle styles.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

If the dryer (any brand) is functioning properly, the extra lint should go out through the exhaust and ductwork. If there is a lot of lint in the cavity where the motor is, you've got more problems than you know. If your dryer is drying and shutting off on time, leave it alone. If it is failing to do its job, call a professional; you don't want a house fire.

Missouri City, TX

The ductwork should be inspected and cleaned every year. With the auto-closing doors there can be a lot if lint trapped, and also bees, wasps, birds and rodents can build nests in the ductwork.

If it is taking longer than normal to ddry a load, check the ducts.

Opening the bottom of a dryer may also reveal a collection of lint that has been known to catch fire. Check with the manufacturer for instructions to open the cabinet.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I noticed that our clothes and the dryer were really hot when it shut off. It is only a few years old and the vent is only 4 ft. long before it goes out of the house, but when the guy came you would not believe the amount of lint in the vent and in the dryer and I empty the lint screen after ever load.
I am happy that we had it done even if it was a bit pricey better than a fire.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Make sure your lint screen is clear. Take it out and put it under running water. Make sure the water runs through. If you use fabric softener, it can clog the screen and will need to be washed out. It will still catch lint, but will not be giving the proper air flow. The shorter and straighter the ductwork, the more efficient it is. The more bends and crooks, the less efficient.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow, haighr, that sounds kind of scary.
You should be saving electricity now after that, too.
Thanks again cathy for your info!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I hope to see a bit of difference in the elec bill. The guy said you can also buy a brush at lowes to reach down in that lint area and brush it loose and then run the unit to blow it out.
I'll rinse that screen as well Cathy to remove any blocks from the softener.

Beverly Hills, CA

I think you shouldn't remove the lint. If you do something wrong, it will move all the time that is very irritating. I had to change my iron because I removed all possible parts for cleaning and broke everything))) If you don't want to be one of that people http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/appliances.html who try to get money back, forget about it.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Got it cleaned and it runs much quieter and now the clothes don't feel so hot when I removed them after a cycle. I think it is important to keep them cleaned to prevent dryer fire.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.