Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Funny Weeds For Funny Games: Now that you mention it

Communities > Forums > Article: Funny Weeds For Funny Games
bookmark
Forum: Article: Funny Weeds For Funny GamesReplies: 24, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8704436

I had completely forgotten about it, but we used to do something like "the rifle" with plaintain flowers. We didn't have a name for it, and we weren't any good at it, either. Plantains usually got mowed over all of the time and didn't have long stems. Maybe that was the problem.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 21, 2011
12:14 AM

Post #8705305

Great, Kelli! Maybe you can find plantain on your hikes and practice!LOL
Thanks for reading my article!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8706110

I do see them once in a while, and since no one is mowing out there, the stems are long. I'll have to give the "rifle" a try. If nothing else, it will amuse DH.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 22, 2011
1:36 AM

Post #8707879

LOL! Keep me posted!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8712116

Hi Adina!
Another fun and interesting article. I don't remember playing games like that when I was little but enjoyed reading how you did. I do remember chewing on some not sure what though. Wonder why in the world we did that? LOL
Connie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8712456

Oh Adina! Cooking for our dolls! We did that too. We were warned about the nightshade and never played wiith it, but we did play with dandelions, and smartweed. It was pink and pretty and grew alongside the house. I still like to feel the cocklebur leaves and open the milkweed to pull out the seeds and set them flying.

I recognized the bristly foxtail and have had to pull it from my socks because I ran thru it.

Our plantain was the Plantago major, but I would tear the leaf along the veins.

Then there is sucking the nectar from a bluebell or honeysuckle.

I do show these things to my Grandkids and will have to try the mouse game. My oldest Grandson reached down and plucked a four leaf clover a couple of weeks ago. He has been wanting one and he got one!!

Thanks for such a fun article!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 24, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8712582

Thanks for sharing your fun games, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed my article.
Connie, kids always do funny things!LOL
Sally, I'm sure your grandkids will love the mouse game! Now that you mentioned, my DS has been founding several four leaves clover in our lawn. It's not that useless afterall, isn't it?LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Click the image for an enlarged view.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8712589

Adina, I was kicking myself for not getting a picture of DGS's clover. Aren't they wonderful?

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 24, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8713456

They're amazing!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8713682

Hi Adina, we used to play the gun game in Novi Sad where I was a child. I always loved the ladybug, we used to sing to her " fly away and bring me a letter from my lover". You bring back lots of memories. greetings from Etelka
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8713891

Hi Adina:

I used to love playing with plants too. One of my most fun things was making crowns, baskets and other things by sticking big Scotch thistle heads together.

We also sing to ladybugs, but here we sing: Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, your children alone. I think your words are prettier.

And we too would catch bumblebees. We sued to wait until they were sitting with their wings down and grab them around the middle. We'd put them in jars where we could feel the buzzing in our hands, then let them go after a little while.

Hunting for owl packets was one of my favourite things though. An owl will spit out the bones of a mouse it eats all wrapped in the skin. These were amazing and magical to find.

It's so much fun to remember these things, isn't it?
Thanks for the article reminding me of lazy, busy summer days.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8713907

Thanks for another well written and interesting article. I was especially interested in the use of plantain to treat wounds and to make syrup.
Out here foxtails are real problem for our dogs. But I remember playing with them and letting them crawl up our arms.
We used to make tumbleweed forts, lol.
We also used to use the leaves for dishes for our "tea parties".
When I was growing up the lady bug song, went like this,
"Ladybug, Ladybug, fly away home,
Your house is on fire and your children alone!"
I wonder how many variations there are to that song? : - )
I never tied strings to June bugs or cicadas, but my brothers did. I always thought they were too pretty to do that to. I saw some out in the garden yesterday.
Yup, your article brings back lots of fond memories. Thank you for the trip down Memory Lane. : - )
WIB~
SW
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

July 25, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8714207

Gargaritza-ritza
Zboara-n poienitza,
Unde oi zbura,
Acolo m-oi marita...

LOL, is that it? Great memories, I had to think hard to remember the words to that silly little kids' song...lol
Great article, as usual!!!

Te pup!
Monica
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8714753

But you can tie the string around the horn of a tomato worm and take it for a walk. They don't usually want to go, but, too bad!
usasouth
Canton, GA

July 26, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8715713

I wish I'd read all these posts before doing my first one. We didn't do the ladybug song, but we'd get a short stick and go around and around carefully in the doodlebug's funnel and chant "Doodlebug, doodlebug come out, come out, your house is on fire and your kids are all gone..." If we were lucky, we'd finally dig the doodlebug out...such an ugly little bug! We were usually passing time with this as we waited for the half wild kittens to come out from under my grandfathers corn crib. It was rare that we ever caught a kitten, but we kept trying. I hadn't thought of this in years. USASOUTH

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8715756

73/91 Sun and clouds mixed. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 91F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Cybercrone, cool! I lived in town, but we had a field across the road. I would have never touched a thistle, LOL!

Our ladybug song was the same and I agree with you on the other words.

SingingWolf, I'll still mash a plantain leaf of I get cut outside. Small tender leaves are easier to juice than the large ones.

I used to make horseweed teepees.

Fwromanian, smiling over your song!

Usasouth, ROTFL!! I have caught a wild kitten and it was the last one I ever tried to catch!!

My Grandparents had a haymow and we would jump from the upper level into the hay below. What a feeling!

Adina, you brought back good memories for all of us!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 26, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8717701

Thank you all so much for reading my article and for sharing your memories! Always nice to remember those days!

Etelka, your song is a bit different, but so sweet!

Cyber, interesting about the scotch thistle, never heard of such a crown! Is that the thistle's name? Yuck, mouse bones in their skin...although this must be so cool! You're too funny with a worm tied up!LOL

Jules, you were a good kid and loved nature beings too much to harm them! Do you have plantain on your land? You have to try the tea or syrup!

Monica, thanks for writing the Romanian version of the song! You remembered!LOL

Usasouth, I can almost see you as a kid with your stick , such fun!

Sally, must have been great to live your childhood in the countryside! Jumping into the hay, chasing the wild kittens!LOL I would never touch a thistle either!LOL

Adina
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

July 31, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8728626

Billyporter, thank you, I can't stop smiling either, ever since Adina's article...lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8729110

Me neither. It was perfect!!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 1, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8729142

I'm so glad my article had that effect on you guys!LOL

Adina
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

August 2, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8731603

Adina, your linden trees articles had an even bigger effect on me...now my smiling (from the song) face is also constantly closing my eyes (to see the trees and linden flowers with my mind's eyes) and constantly sniffing for the imaginary linden trees from 30 years ago...
No, I'm sure nobody thinks I'm crazy, when they see me twitching like that!!!

Monica

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 5, 2011
2:35 AM

Post #8738085

Monica, aweeeee, this is so touching! You need to come back for a visit next year when the lindens are blooming!

Adina
fwromanian
Perkasie, PA

August 6, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8739825

You're absolutely right, I do need to come back at that time of the year...

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 8, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8743786

I hope you do some day!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8746022

Monica, that gave me a big smile!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Funny Weeds For Funny Games Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Enjoyed this article! Thanks! annhelen 1 Jul 26, 2011 10:56 PM
brings back memories Becca24 1 Jul 26, 2011 12:44 AM
But you don't mention.... usasouth 1 Jul 26, 2011 10:23 PM
What a wonderful childhood you had. moonrose777 1 Aug 5, 2011 2:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America