Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: Black spot?..On Knockouts? Oh, No :(

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 8, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8705955

It has been terribly hot here in Iowa...Temps at 98, heat index at 112 degrees for 7 days. No rain, but maybe some coming.

Here are some pictures of my new Knockout rose bushes I just planted this spring. This is my first experience with roses, and I read where Knockouts were free of diseases...now look. I have used a fungicidle spray on them just this week, but they continue to go bad. Someone told me to get rid of them, but I have some money in them and can't just throw them out...
Any and all suggestions are welcome as I am new at this.

Here's the pix;
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8705980

And another...

Thumbnail by sm4657
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 21, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8707432

Black spot will not kill them or even keep them from blooming, but Knockouts are supposed to be more resistant than average. I never spray any of my roses and they do lose some of their leaves to fungus, by fall they usually recover and bloom almost as well as in the spring. Many rose growers are able to keep their plants free of fungus by maintaining a spray schedule about every week or two. Don't give up on them!
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8708418

Thank you...I am feeling better about it then...I will do a weekly fungicide spraying and see what happens...

The humidity here has been out of sight...I can't think of a summer where it has been quite this bad. Maybe the heat stress, plus being new are the factors involved...

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8709097

Get rid of them??? Just because of a little black spot! Phshaw, I say! =)

It is probably just heat stress, probably aggrivated by the humidity, as you say. The real key to help guard against black spot is to have good air movement around the plants. That is a big help. The spray or a systemic will help the new leaves that will grow in (won't do much for the leaves already infected). I would go easy on the spraying with the Knockouts. You might also hit them with a strong spray from the hose to help knock off the diseased leaves. Be sure and pick or rake them out of the bed as those leaves left on the ground can just help to re-infest with the black spot. Burn or throw away the leaves, don't compost them.

You say that your roses are new (young)? There is a theory about that young roses are a little more susceptible to these things. Kind of like kids. They develop more immunity as they grow older. So, like every good Cub's fan knows, just wait 'till next year!
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8712367

Thanks terri_emory!

This is my first year gardening, and I am soooo anal about how everything is growing...I believe everything I read as I have absolutely NO experience, and if the plant doesn't do what the book says, I get worried...such as the knock-outs having disease resistantance. I figured that meant the NEVER get black spot, or powdery mildew!

That's why I rely on the expert gardeners...such a huge help!

Thanks again...

glevely
Sanford, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8712384

I live in Michigan and black spot is an every year thing looks bad but dosent kill them just wait for it ot cool off and you will see I too belived every thing I read but have learned so much on here so now I can relax and enjoy my gardens in stead of being in a panic about it all which is more fun ;0)
good luck
Gloria
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8714623

LOL! I'm not an expert--you should see my roses right now. Two month with no rain and over two week of 100+ temps is really taking it's toll. I've done all I can do for them. I figure on losing a few. Its just that we all have been new gardeners at some point in our lives. We've all been where you've been, so hang in there!
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8716130

Thanks guys :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America