Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
markandtim
Seattle, WA

July 21, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8706723

I'm on my way to get some sevin dust for my poor sprouts. I'm desperate after days of knocking aphids off of them, spraying them with sevin spray, and begging local ladybugs to come visit. I have pole beans next to the plant and don't want any more infestation! Any suggestions before I go for the dust? HELP!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8708183

If you have any liquid kelp on hand, mix some with water and spray it on the aphids. I had an aphid infestation on my peas earlier in the year, and this spray really worked to kill them.
markandtim
Seattle, WA

July 22, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8708674

Where would I find liquid kelp?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8710447

Here's where I purchased mine:

http://www.wormsway.com/results.aspx?search=nitrozime
markandtim
Seattle, WA

July 25, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8714423

Thanks for the information regarding the aphids. I did find a "Safer" product on Saturday, with an unspecified seaweed in it, though. I sprayed it on and Voila! In a few hours all the aphids were dead or had fled the sprouts. I'm pretty happy about that. "Safer" is an organic product, and I feel better about using it rather than a heavy hitter like the Sevin products.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8715904

markandtim - YAY! Death to aphids - well not all of them, 'cause birds like to snack on them :)

Yes, I was amazed at how quickly the aphids on my peas died after using kelp. The unspecified seaweed in your "Safer" was probably kelp.

The only time I've ever resorted to using Sevin was in 1972 after moving into house in South Florida where the front yard was so infested with fleas, they almost smothered us!

There's usually an "organic" alternative that will do the job, and I'm glad you found "Safer" worked. I'm all for a "safer" planet. LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America