Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: Glad for you.

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 32, Views: 238
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8707151

I have several Brugs but they are hanging on for dear life. Not likely to have any blooms this year. I love looking at yours. I water and water and water and they are barely alive.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 22, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8708204

You also need to feed, feed, feed...LOL

I hear it is hotter than blue blazes and pretty water-less in TX. We got some really nice rains this morning. Haven't had a good rain here in southern Wisconsin since early June.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8708270

Local weatherman is saying this is the worst year on record. Cold days set in the winter, hot this summer, plus we are now into something like the 30th day of over 100+. No rain since February.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 22, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8708335

Well, and brugs HATE HATE HATE hot weather...I was told (and found it to be true) that brugs dispise anything much over 80. They will pout and lose leaves. Mine do, so yours must really be unhappy.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8708454

The sun has cooked come of the leaves. My Japanese Maple looks like fall the leaves are so crisp. Have a very mature holly fern and it is totally brown. doesn't even do that in the winter. I am thankful that I still have home with a super good AC. I think of all the worldwide disasters where people have lost everything and am ashamed that I am complaining.
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8735500

Christi, how are your brugs doing now? I'm just trying to keep mine alive until it cools off. Mine all went dormant in the garage last winter and only one got big enough to bloom in the spring. I'm sure hoping fall will be better for them.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8735530

No blooms, nor any sign of a bloom this year. They are alive but barely.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 3, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8735627

Hi Christi ...the Brugs hate the heat as much as we do ...some shut down until Autumn (Fall) brings kinder temperatures.
Of Course shade helps but we are not all that lucky.
I think you will find they will perk right up again as the days start to drop under 80 F.
so sorry the Summer is so harsh after your terrible Winter 2011 is not a friendly year in many ways ...try not to worry too much.
hugs :-)
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8735683

Do you still have all of those in the ground that you had a couple of years ago? I have lost every brug I've ever put in the ground. Very disappointing. I'm finding that mine do better if I keep them in mostly shade with only a little bit of sun. I still have to water at least once a day. Between 8 degrees in Feb and 110 in August, it sure has been a tough year for them.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8736363

Oddly, last fall I decided to dig a couple of the prettiest ones and pot them just incase we had another bad winter. Well, the 16 degree temps overcame all the heaters could do and froze everything I had in pots in the greenhouse. The brugs in the ground came right back. They were growing until the heat hit and now everything is dormant. I water everyday because I just can't bear to see my entire collection die. Braveheartsmom (Jenny) sent me three more from Maui this spring and they are potted and in the shade. Just a few leaves but at least I know they rooted. I have 11 plumeria and they are growing great guns. All in pots and in the shade. Water by hand twice a day.

Will be happy to share brugs with you once this weather phase passes...that is, if I still have any alive.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 4, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8736553

I'm interested in a double pink cutting...for postage, of course. :>)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8736657

ANNA, I am the worst gardner you could ever know. I have no idea what I have. when asked, I usually reply, "red or white and pink and purple, etc.etc. Should mine live and bloom, I would be happy to share. Today is another 110. Brugs are drooping.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 4, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8736735

Only in the 80's here and mine are sorta drooping. Well, they look better since I watered. I even have to water my 6 I have planted in the ground. Jeez, already...LOL. but, I have to admit, the soil where I planted them is less than stellar. :>)
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8743545

Oh, yeah, my plumie (only have one) is doing great. Hasn't stopped growing at all. I repotted it the other day, against my better judgment in this heat, but it really couldn't wait. Didn't miss a beat. It also overwinters better than my brugs. Hmmmmmmmmm...

I am always looking for more brugs. I only have one that's big enough to cut, but I hope when the heat lets up that will change. Let's talk about trading around mid-October.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2011
11:50 PM

Post #8743559

LouC so sorry to hear about your poor garden...

I don't know if you have already tried this but I went thru a very long drought a couple of years ago and the only way I could save my favourite plants was to cut them in half...

It didn't matter if the new growth burnt off, because the roots were ok...
I had to cut Daphnes, Azaleas, Rhodos etc etc.
This way they don't need as much water..which makes it easier on you too.

Silver Birches were the only trees that I lost...because they weren't very old.
If you haven't cut back, give it a try, you haven't anything to lose by the sound of it..
The very best of luck to you.
Dianne.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 5:52 PM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8744061

Thank you, Dianne. Odd as it sounds I have been leaving some of the fried leaves still hanging on so they will give what little shade they can to the lower leaves. As of this coming Friday all former weather records will be broken and there is no end in sight. 110 everyday and no rain since February. Watering doesn't help. Many plants that in shade with water are dying because of the extreme "air" temperature. The greenhouses may soon have to be converted from heat to cool. The professional nurseries are in terrible shape. The area about 100 miles or less from me is where many tree farms grow. Some have lost acres and acres of tree stock. The trees in the immediate area are dying also.

Patty, I have some dozen plumeria all in very large pots and they are growing like a weed. Also have them all gathered under the arbor that is covered with the wisteria. The green vine helps to cuts the rays and lower the temp.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8744459

Dianne, took your advice. Just pulled up a lot of annuals and deadheaded ANYTHING that happened to have a bloom.

Next door neighbor has several huge, mature pecan trees in his yard. This morning a limb almost as large as the trunk broke and fell. The plant editor of the Dallas Morning News wrote that this is happening everywhere. In such a severe weather condition (110+, no rain) a tree will actually drop limbs in an effort to protect itself. Advised leaving the water hose at a trickle at the base of the tree for at least 24 hours. The sprinkler system doesn't get near deep enough for the needs of a mature tree...or any tree for that matter. I'm afraid when the temps turn to freezing there will be even more damage. For the past 7 years my flower garden has been my passion. It is like watching a dear friend suffer unto death.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 8, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8744944

Oh That's awful news, I am so sorry to hear it.
Praying for rain for you and everyone who needs it over there.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 8, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8745077

Don't give up yet...In my drought we weren't allowed to use a hose at all...only buckets...
That's why I had to take such drastic measures...we had to save our shower and washing machine water to put on the garden...that's all we were allowed to use, we were on a set limit of water everyday...our dams got down to 20% of their capacity.

You should prune back harder than a deadhead, when I said half, I really meant half...
I know it's difficult to do, but I promise you, that they will get thru the terrible temps that are forecast.
Our temps are like yours in our summer, so if my plants survived by being cut in half so will yours..
Be tough, you will save them...

Our nurseries had to have a special water dispensation to keep them going...it was a terrible time, many trees fell over in the following years after the drought, because their roots had died...
Dianne

This message was edited Aug 9, 2011 10:01 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8745182

I expect there will come a time when every abode is plumbed to take advantage of the grey water. Such a waste to flush shower and bath water into the sewer. Long ago they changed the detergents where they are not a threat to nature, so there we go, the washing machine...and the dishwasher...and the sink water. We have been spoiled by the abundance of almost everything. We are retired now almost 5 years. Watched our nest egg dissolve in the stock market today. Still holding on.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8745680

Lou ( hugs) I am praying for you all in Texas, and Like a few others, I have cut all the prennials back out front where I quit watering as much. I save as much water as I can, jug it up and use it in my pots. My brugs and tropicasl were forced into a non windbreak suddenly sunny location when the neighbors cut all that down. I thought it would be easier to cut back and let them rest during the heat we have been having. Poor veges never happened and this year is a record breaker . I have already cut the brugs that are not going to flower down to root balls and left a few standing, but they are crispy. Only the brugs under the pear tree are holding on. even my morning glorys are having a late start and a hard time. I try to bottle up as much dish water as I can, DH thinks I am nuts. Will keep praying for all you south of me to get some much needed torrential rains soon.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8746296

More of the same today. I have cabin fever.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8755546

Christi, hope the weather improves some for you. If you can, come down here for a summer get away. It's hot and humid here but at least we can get into the water wading about to cool down if needed. Free room and board, plus some brugmansia cuttings when you return home to Tx.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8755665

You are a sweetheart, Lily. If only we could. It has rained all around us on Friday and Saturday but got only a very weak drizzle. At least we are supposed to be just under 100 today and the humidity is returning. We have an extremely dry heat for our part of the country. Even plants I have in the shade with right amount of water have died and are scorched from the hot air temperatures. Same forecast for the rest of the week...105,103,105,103. Many people reporting that their stock ponds and totally dry and their wells are low. In that the weather is totally in God's hand, it seems we need to get on our knees as a nation.

One of the worst outcomes of this weather phenomena is the death of the mature trees. The general landscape both in private homes and the wild will be changed forever.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8756614

I thought about this thread this week-end when I read an article in the local newspaper. It was submitted by the PBS' Central Texas Gardener program which is affiliated with TAMU. The gist of the topic was about summer dormancy. If your Brugs look like mine tall bare stalks with tufts of small leaves at the top, stalks that haven't grown since the temperature went over 90F. Then they are experiencing summer dormancy. The recommendation for treating summer dormant plants is to water only. No fertilizer and no pruning because both encourage new growth. According to the article, our goal is to keep the root system alive and as healthy as possible until the fall when temperatures go down.

I'm seeing more and more dead or dying trees, many several hundred years old. The full extend of the damage may not be apparent for a few years. Last year several of our live oaks dropped huge branches. All a result of the 2007 - 2009 drought. Post oaks and smaller trees seem to die off faster. I'm hoping that our post oaks and the few remaining water oaks, which are growing closer to the river and the seasonal creek, survive. We lost most of our water oaks back in 2004. LouC, you are right. Our landscape is going to change.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8757469

Everything in my yard is either dead or dormant, some half dead. Only thing flourishing is flame acanthus. Very unusual in that we have hummingbirds swarming it everyday. They are transient here and are supposed to be through again until October. Still no butterflies.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8762066

Christie, I still think of you nearly every day - come down and stay with me for a week or so - I'd love to have you visit and spend time on the beach with me - it's beauty at its best!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8762087

Kay, you're going to keep on until I am at your door. What a kind and generous person you are. Our forecast doesn't change...103...105...102...105...NO RAIN.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8762090

Well, what's stoppin' you?! It's sunny, breezy and 85 degrees 320 days a year!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8762251

I agree with KayJones, Christie, git on down there to her place fer a spell..
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8762981

Wellllll, as of yesterday my daughter is getting her ducks in a row for double knee replacement. She has custody of her granddaughter, my great granddaughter who is almost 5 years old. Gave me a list of the different ways (long list) she will be depending on me and her dad to help her for 6 weeks. She is married but her husband works from 3PM-11Pm and therefore, is not home a lot. Date for surgery has not been set but will be very soon. I always laugh when a young person says they will be glad when their children are grown and they will not have so much responsibility. If they only knew. We also are responsible for MIL who is 93 and in an assisted living facility near us. Calls DH (only child) a dozen times a day for him to do this or that. I can't see a time for either of us to be "free" in the near future. He will soon be 71 and I will soon be 70. Sandwich generation. Have a cousin in Colorado that asks us to come several times a week. I don't know how some folks are able to live their lives unencumbered.

Kay, I am not taking your offer off of my bucket list.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8763126

wow, I have never heard that phrase before.. but what a lot of love you sure have for your family. That is very obvious. Still Praying for you to get some rain...
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8763142

Christie, it is a life-long offer!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America