My poor old man "Star"

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

Poor Star- my 40 yr old horse is such a trooper. 2 days ago he got caught under the gate and ripped off most of the skin on both back legs and lacerated his left hind down to the cannon bone. Luckily he didn't break the bone or damage any tendons or ligaments, so I think he should heal with time. He's such a good boy- Been used for hippotherapy for years(was still giving lessons once or twice a week until he got hurt), and is so calm and gentle. He actually let me stitch him up with just a little ace and some local anesthesia and just stood there without trying to kick or anything (I am a small animal vet, so do a lot of my own equine work- the horse vet wasn't available for a couple hrs, so I'm learning alot about equine medicine!!). It will be lots of bandage changes, antibiotics, and pain meds for the next couple weeks- and of course lots of TLC and all the cookies he can handle!!

Thumbnail by kat7
South Hamilton, MA

Glad he is so patient. He has obviously figured out that you know what you are doing. ☺

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

He looks great for being 40!! Glad he will heal from his injuries.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

what a nice guy! Glad he knew you were helping and that he will heal ok.

Star's enjoying all the extra TLC!

Thumbnail by kat7
Richmond, TX

What a grand old man! What breed is he?

Medina, OH

Lucky Boy to have such a talented Mom!

Not really sure what breed he is- I acquired him as just a grade, prob part quarter horse and who knows what. He's been such a great horse and I want to keep him going as long as possible!

Wish I had before and after shots, but I was alittle more concerned about fixing the problem than documenting it at the time. This is the right hind after surgery. The bottom part of the wound (where the sutures are) was open to the cannon bone, but luckily the muscles were intact and there was enough muscle and skin to close most of the wound The rest will have to granulate in. This is only the second time I had to stitch up a horse, but I keep learning as I go along!!

Thumbnail by kat7

This is his left hind (the good leg!) Mostly superficial wounds. Can't believe he's walking so well, and much less swelling than I anticipated. Made my 1st poultice yesterday!

Thumbnail by kat7
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

glad he is doing better. healing thoughts going your way. He's lucky to have a great mom.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So glad it wasn't worse.

He's doing great. Doesn't even seem to notice he's injured, just lovin all the extra attention!

30 days post op and lookin good!

Thumbnail by kat7
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That's great. Such good news!

The old man's lookin great and riding again!!

Thumbnail by kat7
Omega, GA

kat7 he looks good and I'm sure it's due to your deligent care. How long have you had Star?

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Yay! He looks great, you did a great job!

Medina, OH

You two are quite a pair-made for each other, I am sure. Continued happy trails to you!

I got Star about 10 yrs ago. He'd apparently been at the barn as a lesson horse for ages and had at least two owers prior to me. I started leasing him after my previous horse had passed away, and a month after starting the lease, the girl who owned him decided to sell him (she was a high school kid looking for a younger more agile horse to do team penning with). He was supposed to be about 20 when I bought him, but the vet said at that time he was pushing 30 so nobody really knows for sure. They still use him part time as a hippotherapy lesson horse, although they cut back on his use last year when he got sick with lyme disease, and he's had the last 2 months off since his injury (The day I ended up finally getting his shoes back on he ended up with a stone bruise and was lame for another 2 weeks!). But he's back on the trail now- slow and steady. Took him on a nice trail ride on Monday and even had him stepping over all the downed trees from hurrican Irene!

Medina, OH

What a trooper!

Omega, GA

That's great kat. Star is a trooper and how wonderful it is to know he has a home with someone who truely cares for him in his 'golden years'.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I love happy endings.

Redwood City, CA

Me too!!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow! My old mare is about to be 25 and is starting to lose teeth....took me a sec to get her feeding right for it, but that's encouraging - even 30 is great....

Haven't been on DG in quite a while and finally decided to start browsing around again. Thought I'd post an update on my old man- who's still doing great! He's back on the trail and back to doing a couple lessons a week ( I really think it gives him a purpose and is part of what's been keeping him going so long!) He did lose a bit of weight this winter but is slowly starting to put it back on ( in addition to his normal twice a day feedings he gets with his full board, I've been adding daily lunch (everyone I talk to tells me something different to get weight on a horse- so I compromised and decided to give a little bit of everything. He gets Envision/30% fat pellots with soaked beet pulp and alfalfa cubes, home made molasses and wheat bran cookies, supplemented with Focus Senior and Prozyme (to aid in digestion) as well as monthly Adequin injections) Of course he's not spoiled or anything!! My daughter came up to ride with me last week and here is a picture of the two of us: Anna on Star and me on Annie.

Thumbnail by kat7
South Hamilton, MA

He is looking fit.

Was vacationing in Florida a couple weeks ago and found this t-shirt at a flea market. Couln't resist-looks just like my two babies!

Thumbnail by kat7
Medina, OH

Love it!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks like he is doing well.

Me and the old man back on the trail, Sept 2012

Thumbnail by kat7 Thumbnail by kat7 Thumbnail by kat7 Thumbnail by kat7
Richmond, TX

Alright!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

love the pics

Redwood City, CA

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Great pics!! Glad you guys are able to get out and enjoy the trails!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Warms my heart!!

Star- having a snack on the trail with my daughter. Finally putting some weight back on

Thumbnail by kat7
South Hamilton, MA

Glad that he is gaining some weight. Calm guy to let a kid sit on him.

Richmond, TX

He's looking good - so is the kid, nice position!

thats my 11 yr old daughter, she's been riding him since she was a baby!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images