Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Lotus for Containers: Who knew exotic could be so EASY?: Fragrant Lotus flowers

Communities > Forums > Article: Lotus for Containers: Who knew exotic could be so EASY?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lotus for Containers: Who knew exotic could be so EASY?Replies: 3, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ColibriGardener
Baker, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8708822

Interesting article, it has really piqued by interest. I would love to try to grow bowl or miniature lotus flowers. Are there any fragrant varieties that are good to try for a beginner?

Colibrigardner
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8708913

LOL, I can tell you're like me, you want all of your plants to do double or triple duty if possible -- they should be lovely, should smell wonderful, and should be edible also!

I'm no expert on lotus, but I have not heard of fragrant varieties. Texas Water Lilies doesn't mention fragrance in any of their lotus descriptions (and they do mention it for a good number of their hardy and tropical water liles).
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8708919

Whoops, I stand corrected (sort of). Our native Lotus is described in PF as being fragrant http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32227/ but also as being thuggish and/or invasive (yes, it's native, but without its natural competitors present in the ecosystem it gets out of control). Seems it won't bloom in a "smaller" 18-22" pot, so it's not a candidate for container gardening.

Lotus leaves and blooms are both really wonderful, worth making space for a water garden container IMO even if they aren't fragrant. (Sure would be nice if they were, though!) I think I've read that the tubers are edible, though... LOL

ColibriGardener
Baker, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8712076

Thanks Critterologist. I appreciate the info!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lotus for Containers: Who knew exotic could be so EASY? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A bud!! critterologist 4 Jul 22, 2011 8:02 PM
instead of pots dorothyroeder 1 Jul 25, 2011 10:34 AM
Leveling a water holding container Cazadero 1 Jul 25, 2011 4:04 PM
No holes container klstuart 1 Jun 28, 2012 11:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America