-
AuthorContent
bigdaddie
Sevierville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8710001

The plants are German Queen and a Beefsteak that was marked as Heirloom.(lost the label) I have picked about 25 lbs so far and the stakes are 8 ft high, probably will have to add a few more feet.

Thumbnail by bigdaddie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8711524

Your plants look great you may want to repost on the tomato forum, there are many heirloom fans there.
bigdaddie
Sevierville, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8745811

update on my tomatoes have gotten 40+lbs

8/21 UPDATE Just measured have 2 (1 of each) now at "9 ft 10 in" and still blossoms, small and large fruit. Largest weighed 2 lbs 6 oz. and was delicious. Thanks for the comments.

8/30 UPDATE Just measured again. NOW at 11 FEET, the biggest I have ever had and still 16 tomatoes and 9 blossoms left on it!!!! I don't think I can claim credit for this except watering them. Probably going to save some seed from these. Maybe it is the weather--HOT-- down here. Juicy and sweet taste but I have to let them come to room temp first as I probably could make juice right from the vine (precooked). Will keep updating until they finish.

This message was edited Aug 21, 2011 1:36 PM

This message was edited Aug 30, 2011 9:06 AM

Thumbnail by bigdaddie

slopesower
Running Springs, CA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8761931

What's your secret? My plants give me some tomatoes, but yours put them to shame.
bigdaddie
Sevierville, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8768837

SLOPESOWER and any one interested, they are growing in a 4'x4' hole where an old tree was once (concrete patio). When we moved to this house I didn't have a fenced in field so the animals stayed in the fenced in back yard. Yes LLamas did look in the open kitchen window and you would trip over pygmy goats in the doorway and had to make sure door was shut tight or else "VISITORS". We swept a years worth of manure into this hole which has a gravel base on clay soil. Llamas did help by using the hole as their spot. Ground is now 3yrs old, had nice flowers last year, and this year tomatoes. Being close to the back door does cause me to remember to water them in our 90+ days. Goat and llama manure is not hot like chicken,horse,cow,pig manure. It breaks down to small parts and I haven't had and weeds from it (free range critters)

Thumbnail by bigdaddie

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8776185

Love the tomato photos! You'll need a ladder soon to get at the tomatoes at the top! LOL, I knew when I saw the first photo that there must be some sort of poo in that planting hole!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2012
12:15 AM

Post #8998680

Bigdaddie, those are some impressive tomato plants! Did they get full sun all day long or was there part shade?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9138680

I planted a German Queen- glad they do well in your zone- I hope its doing well, chuckl. Also planted a Homestead - both heirloom var per label, the Homesteads are staying smaller and bushier than the Queen, and we planted a Sungella, what I noticed was that the tomato hornworms seemed to be drawn to the Queen, I hope I like them as well as the hornworms, chuckl, both Sungella and German Queen were 4' and growing when I was home mothers Day, I have also noticed my daughter is more interested in sending pix of the bugs she's fighting rather than the plants, hehehe.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9139559

Seems like once it turns really hot here, the tomatoes quit producing. That is why I was wondering if they get full sun all day long there or it there a tree or something to give the plants some relief from the heat part of the day.
Kittrina, I'm curious to know if the German Queens are a medium or large size tomato (?) Do they do well for you during the hot part of the summer?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9139757

Never grown them before, they get quite a bit of shade- but my compass is confused there and the sun seems to never have a distinct east- west, I believe they are s'posed to get huge, but I dint know why I think that- the Sungella is plum sized, and the Homesteads appear to be waiting for more heat to kick off, they had just bloomed when I was home, chuckl, my daughter told me she threw 2 away cause they had bug bites, so I don't know what they looked like nor how big they were, hahaha
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9139803

Around here we have more bird bites on the tomatoes than bug bites (don't know which is worse). This year I'm going to try putting a shere panel around the tomato cage as they start getting ripe - the plant can still get sun but the birds can't get to the fruit. I'm going to check the seed catalogs to see those varieties - always looking for ones that can take the Texas weather.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9140147

I remember having problems with tomatoes in WF, but my time was non existent then anyway-('76 to '83), eggplants and pecans did great tho!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America