Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 92

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 214, Views: 958
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 23, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8711094

Time we moved again as my legs were getting worn out. At least here in virtual land , it doesnt get cold so walking can be done in the sun.
Thought I'd put the path down through the fern gully so you can enjoy them.
Nothing got done here yesterday. It was so cold and after a drop more rain, everything was wet again.
There a re so amny buds in the garden now. I see my dutch iris all coming up, lots of the different daffs, jonquils etc. I did get out and dis some daffs.
I had them along a small path that has long since disappeared under plants. I had to wait until they came up to find exactly where they were.
They are ones I particularly like , with the yellow outer petals and bright orange flattened trumpet. Not a large flower but so pretty in a group.
I am going to pot some and put the others around where they can be seen.
Anthony, dont laugh, but I just had to buy 10 mixed asiatics on eBay . I needed them . ( so I told myself anyway )
Betetr go and see whats available in the kitchen to feed the hordes I can hear clamoring at the door. lol.
Have happy day.
we came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1193823/
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 23, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8711122

This is last years pic of the little daff I was talking about. The trumpet isnt really flat like some just the edge a bit.
Its not a tall daff so gets lost in the taller plants. I will keep them in the front of the beds.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 23, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8711147

Good morning everyone. I had a wonderful day of doing nothing yesterday. [truth be known, I wasted the whole day] but boy did I enjoy my solitude. It rained here over night. I hope it didn't rain where the boys were, otherwise I'll have wet tents and wet eveything else as well probably. I tried to phone them last night to say goodnight but John's phone must have gone flat. Oh, well I did try. I'm sure if the boys were feeling a bit homesick he would have used someone else's phone. I sat and watched the new programme on ABC1 last night, Marchlands. I also did a bit of tapestry while sitting there. Haven't done any for quite a while so it was nice just to relax. I hope everyone is well. Theses snuffles hang on for a while don't they? Be back later. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 23, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8711196

Oops, I just posted in the old thread. Hard to let go of a good thing!

Another beautiful morning here. The early hours are cool, but unless the wind is up, I barely need long sleeves during the day. May go for a drive and see what looks interesting in other areas today.

Hope you all have a pleasant one.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 23, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8711295

Dont worry about the brass monkeys!!!-its even colder here this morning!!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8711298

Hello Everyone!! I'm popping back in to say hello and sample some of the fare in the Tea Room. Since I saw you last, we had 24 DG friends come to the farm for a gathering that was great fun. I worked pretty hard getting my gardens ready and I was thankful for several first blooms on daylilies that day. The group really surprised me with a fabulous birthday cake that was as delicious as it was pretty. The trowel on top said, "Happy Birthday, Louise."...It wasn't my birthday yet, so they really took me by surprise.

I hope all of you are doing well and enjoying your gardens. Jean, that is a gorgeous daffy!! Sounds like you are getting ready for Spring bulbs! How lovely!

Colleen, how wonderful that you "wasted a whole day"!!!!! That's the way to live longer! :) It has been so hot here lately that I haven't gotten outside as much as I want to. Thankfully, the heat wave lifts for us tomorrow! I have so many new blooms to check out, so early morning has been the only time to do any work out there.

Do any of you grow heucheras? I have just caught the bug and love their different foliage colors. Full summer is here for us and the gardens are filled with colors! Ahhhhhh, love it!!

Hello Karen and everyone else! Have a lovely day!
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 23, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8711308

well no snow yet...
slept in till 8am, nice :)
Had to show hubby that cat on the laptop pic...
my brother & his wife has a cat that sleeps on theirs if they leave it open.
She is somewhat skittish so if startled scrabbles for footing & has dislodged several keys in the process.
Makes using the keyboard a challenge - being able to touch type or having a very good memory for key positions is a must.
Wonder what the cats will think of having twins in the house... my lovely sister-in-law is expecting & they found out a couple of weeks ago that she is carrying twins.
Don't know the gender/s, just hope that all goes well & we have a healthy Mum & two bubs when the time comes.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 23, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8711315

gorgeous cake Louise, happy birthday :)

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8711338

Thank you, Teresa! Congrats on the twins in your future! That's very exciting!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 23, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8711492

[quote="themoonhowl"]

Dianne, that is a beautiful Kitty...except for the eyes, he could be a twin to my old lady Mea...better known as Princess Grouchypants.

Her name is Silky Drawers, Jean/moon..but Princess Grouchy Pants would suit her very well.
Karen, if there was any work to do... she would get the dog to do it...

Anthony, the Bombers are the team that Carlton smashed..boo hoo...Geelong today...

I realised why the Tutankhamun exhibition wasn't as good as the first...that one was called "The Treasures of Tutankhamun"...this one was "Tutankhamun and the Golden Age''...
It had a few pieces from the original exhibition, the rest were relics from that era...interesting but very little "Wow" factor.
The original exhibition left this one for dead and considering the subject matter...very appropriate..lol
Have a good day everyone, whatever the weather.
Dianne

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8711721

How funny Dianne, what a pair they would make...grin

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 23, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8711857

They definitely have "The look", moon..

I watched Marchlands too, Colleen...it was good.

Too cold to do much today..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 24, 2011
12:00 AM

Post #8711883

Hello Louise. Lovely to see you back again. Go over to the last Tea Room thread ( #91) and enjoy a piece of your birthday cake from us all.
We celebrated for you so there may not be any left.
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 24, 2011
1:49 AM

Post #8711900

heres a cool''big'' black man,.,.he exercised his territorial right today,.,.i think he used muscles he had forgotten about--meaning he stayed in bed for the rest of the day! We are the navy blues Dianne,.,.this is the most joy ive had since 95,..,Jean-i look at it in this way,.,.if lilium bulbs were $5 notes,id be rich!!

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 3:51 PM

Thumbnail by g_whizz

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8712066

handsome fellow there Anthony...this is Old Man Max...he's a basket case...grin

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 24, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8712877

all I can say is brrrrr, it is below 0C here & still snowing.
the dog is not overly impressed, nor am I - had an important meeting this morning & had to ring & leave a message to cancel, no buses running & not sure if anyone else was going to be at the meeting anyway.
Supposed to do a 2pm - 6pm shift this arvo but not sure if the RSA will be open then.
Have to give them a call & find out.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 24, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8712913

Good morning everyone. After a few days of rain and cold, we have fog this morning with the sun just coming up over it. Looks like a nice day, but I wont say that too loud as I have seen it change in an hour .
I may get out to look at the weeds . Thats about all I can do at the moment. Too wet to spray.

Anthony, I cant wait for all my bulbs to come out . I am waiting to see what I got in the mixed packs.

All those lovely pussy cats. I love animals, but I like cats a lot more when they are in other peoples homes. I am not a cat person at all.

Hello Teresa, lovely news re. the twins. I hope you dont get any further snow there. That lot looks very cold and I totally agree with Copper saying ' get me back inside.' .

Hello Dianne. It would have been lovely seeing all those treasures anyway, even if not in the same class as the first exhibition.

Hello Moon, Louise and Charleen . Louise, it must have been so lovely to meet lots of the DG gardeners . I bet they all loved your pretty garden.
I have a couple of Heucheras but only the common pink flowered ones . I do like them but havent a good space fr them to show off. I did have a miniature one somewhere. I must go and look for it. It may have died. . Hope the girls behaved like proper southern ladies with all the guests there.

Hello Pam, Karen, Chrissy and Elaine.

I have been out int he kitchen adding the last seasonings to the slow cooker. Another yummy lot of smoked ham hocks on the simmer.
The sun is shining in the window here, so I had better get out and enjoy it before it disappears.

Have a lovely day and enjoy those gardens .
Try this delicious Carrot Cake with your cuppa.
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 24, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8712921

looking north wards up our street...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 24, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8712991

more snow pics...
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/dalfyre/Snow%20pics%20July%202011/
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 24, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8713081

Teresa, as I was looking at you snow pics, the sun disappeared. here Must have been frightened, looking at all that cold stuff.
You can keep it there. I like seeing snow in pictures, not in person.
Bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8713417

I love NZ and the pictures are beautiful ...but I don't think I could live there now I have seen snow ...perhaps when younger but I can feel a twinge in my knee just looking at it.
Really surprising to see plants still blooming in snow.

I bet our American friends would love to dive right into it ^_^ I see where they are frying over there.
What do you reckon Moon,Charleen and Loise ?
Catch up later ...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 25, 2011
2:24 AM

Post #8713506

i had to peel the pillowslip from my utes windscreen this morning in 1 big chunk,.i drove down the road,let cocky out and when i came back up,the car had frozen over again.,coldest i've seen in a few years,.,.very scary getting the truck 'crossed up' in little ice patches!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8713877

I agree, snow is lovely to look at...in someone else's yard. I am like Chrissy...just thinking about it makes the joints twinge. grin We normally do not have winter temps below 0C and rarely does it snow here. When it does, most everything shuts down as folks in South Louisiana have NO IDEA how to drive in it.

I think Mother Nature is trying to atone for the drought here...we have gotten almost 15cm of rain in the past week and the forecast is for rain/thunder storms all this week..the happy part is our temps will stay in the 28C to 30C range. a welcome relief from 35C and up.

Warm thoughts to you all...hope the sun shines brightly for you soon.

Moon
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8714600

Moon, the heat sounds like it has been unbearable, and Teresa, the snow pics are wonderful, but glad it isn't here.

Had to take a pic of this tree at a nursery in Victoria Point on the weekend. Just so beautiful, full of bees, and blue face honey eaters. It is Dombeya Cacuminum, commonly known as "Winter Joy". And what a joy it is, in full flower...

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8714601

We also checked out the relatively new Berrinba Wetlands at Logan on the weekend. Lots of walks around here.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8714605

Lots of bird life at Berrinba Wetlands. This is a new one on me, solar powered and all.
I imagine it keeps the crows away from the picnic area as it flaps its wings all day...
Karen

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 2:24 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8714709

Good morning everyone. After seeing Teresas pics I am not game to complain of the cold. We had a dry day yesterday but cold even with the sun out . Some rain overnight , but hubby says it is going to be fine for a few days. I did ask him which few days but he said I should be glad its not snowing after I showed him Teresas pics .

Anthony, be very careful driving anywhere. That ice on the road can be treacherous when you cant see it.

Karen, that wetlands looks like a lovely place to spend time. I do like the solar bird. I could put one in the garden to scare the crows away. The maggies would most likely use it as a perch. I love the red in that Dombeya flower.

Moon, your garden must be sitting up enjoying the rain after the awful heat. I hope you do have some garden left after the heat though.

Hello Louise and Charleen. How is the weather where you are. I hope rain has arrived to cool things down for you too.

Hello Pam, Dianne and Colleen. Keep warm there.

I am going back to the heater for a while before I venture out . I may do a bit of trimming along the paths again. The plants are growing as I watch.
I had to push my way through the archway to the paddock garden yesterday.

Better see what I can put out for nibbles.
Here we are, Honey Sponge Roll. ( with lots of cream, Brian . I know you are watching )
Keep warm and safe. Enjoy those gardens .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 25, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8714744

Jean Brian would love that sponge roll, me too. Good morning everyone. Well everything is back to normal after the weekend. The boys had a great time and are already talking about the next time. Washing day today. You should see the poor brugs out the front, but they still have smaller leaves on them so I presume they will pull through. Bucks Fizz has 14x3" buds but not expecting them to bloom now. Beautiful snow pics Teresa and those wetlands are lovely Karen. All the roses have new shoots on now, so that didn't take long. I still have a lot of tidying up to do but slowly getting there. Must go and get the boys moving. be back later. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 25, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8714767

sunshine here but the frost made the snow very dangerous where it had melted slightly or was compacted by being walked or driven over.
Things come to a standstill here when it snows like this - happens so rarely that we have no idea how to deal with it.
School holidays at the moment so lots of children had a blast making snowmen or sledding with whatever they could use.
Dog sledding is quite popular here but normally the dogs run with wheeled sleds.
To run them on snow is a real treat especially for the husky breeds.
I felt really mean putting Copper out this morning but he had his coat on & needed a loo break...
he is inside on the couch now & quite content to snooze.
The cat was totally freaked out by the noise of cars & people crunching through the snow & ice outside, I had to put her out as she had been inside for over 12 hours.
She has vanished & is probably sulking somewhere plotting her revenge.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 25, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8714796

Morning all,
We had a lot of rain last night, Mick's shed was had a very wet floor and that only happens
when the rain comes in at a certain angle...His waterproof keeps him warm so he doesn't care about the shed..
Just announced that the Barwon bridge will be named after Cadel Evans...It was going to be named after a politician...the bridge replaced an old one and there has been a lot of squabbling over the design, so Cadel won the Tour de France at the right time...
I would have liked the main street to be renamed after him, it's full of outdoor cafes and there are bikes everywhere...Cadel is often there too.

My heart goes out to the Norwegian people, how can you protect your country against people like him.
Back later..

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 25, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8714918

Good morning everyone!

Nice day here at Buderim...just the kind of day that one wants to spend in the garden.

Barwin Bridge to be named after Cadel Evans...must tell hubby about that.

Teresa... that sure looks cold around your area.

I will have to go make a "cuppa" to warm up now. *G*
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 25, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8715019

Hi again. I've been looking up that solar powered eagle on the web, as it really is a masterpiece, and found this link which is short but interesting. We actually saw a sea eagle while there, pic below. This is a White Bellied Sea Eagle. Must go do some of the walks sometime, as it all looks lovely.

http://www.artplace.arts.qld.gov.au/projects/completedprojects?gal=46

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 25, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8715512

That solar powered eagle is a lovely thing Karen, sometimes that type of sculpture can be quite beautiful and taking a story from the Dreamtime and turning it into a work of art makes it very special.

Colleen, my Buck's Fizz is exactly the same..I wouldn't be surprised if they do make it...
Yes, Jean...it's amazing, but the growth hasn't stopped this Winter...
I have decided that Spring definitely starts in August...the Jonquils have been out for a month and the Magnolias are about to flower...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 25, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8715612

Yes unless we have a nasty Frost I think we too might see the Spring in August (hopefully to make up for last Spring being an extension of Winter for some weeks here (in my area).
What wonderful Pics everyone ...we could all do with some cheering up ^_^
My brother is having a Birthday this week so lots of visitors pending ...lots to do.
lovely to see a few faces here again :-)
Lovely to see the brave blooms ...wonderful wetlands and even the snow, because I am not there.
Enjoy your evening everyone.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

July 26, 2011
12:27 AM

Post #8715661

Hi Chrissy At last some fine weather A very Happy Birthday to George is week .
Hope all have a great week ------elaine.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 26, 2011
12:40 AM

Post #8715665

Hi Elaine thanks ...hope you coping with the weather ok, got a little bit of sun today without the wind which was lovely.

Dianne I came back to pop this in for you and anyone else interested this is a video of some great Egyptian artifacts and the music is very similar to the dvd I purchased with the book and the vial of perfume ...said to be the music played in those ancient times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WWErSfJWzzo#at=11

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 26, 2011
1:08 AM

Post #8715671

Another spam scam...

I just received an email from what looked like my Broadband server...it explained that an attempt had been made to access my account from a new computer...would I please reply or else I might have my email disconnected...BUT...I needed to supply my username and password so they could be sure that it was me who was answering the email...

Who thinks up these things?...they never give up do they...
I emailed my server and they replied within 5 mins, that in itself was amazing...definitely SPAM they said...never give out that info...as if I would...
Whenever I ask other things it always takes until the next day...so they must have an alert when you mention SPAM..

Watch out people... the baddies are out there to get us.

Thanks for that link Chrissy,...I will look after dinner...I bought the book too..It's beautiful..
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 26, 2011
1:15 AM

Post #8715672

Did you know that even if you just click onto it they can gather your info?
Just delete- never click onto something like that ...you are confirming your email address when you respond, people sell this info to others too.Spam is thrown out at random and any kind of response is a confirmation of the addy.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 26, 2011
1:59 AM

Post #8715683

I use Eftel anti spam, so I can view the message without a problem...
But they do try anything don't they...

Chrissy, the video was brilliant...loved it...
When I was doing an Adult education course for something ( I've done so many) the teacher brought in a mummified foot...evidently in the early part of the last century, they used to cut up mummies and sell off the bits and you could buy any bit in London and the teacher's grandfather had bought this foot...it was fascinating...it still had the wrappings on it and it was as light as a feather...It was brown but not shrivelled...amazing.

This ride looks like fun
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 26, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8716863

Good morning everyone.
Frosty here this morning, but I havent been outside to look at how much. Hubby will tell me . He says it is -3C.
I do hope we dont get a week of really low temps like last year, which burned all my brugs.
The sun is out and we are suppose to actually get up to 18C on the weekend.

Hello Elaine, nice to see you back. Hope all is well for you. Any projects going ?

Dianne, love the big fat magnolia buds. Mine are putting up a few now . I must get out in the back of the cottage garden and see how the one out there is doing. I put it behind the plants there, as it should (hopefully) grow above them eventually.

You have to watch those scams. We get an average of 3 a day, which are usually all marked as scam by our mail thingy, Thunderbird..
We just delete without opening anything. Scams from those purporting to be banks, PayPal, eBay, phone companies, you name it they are out there. I dont know how many people are always wanting our help in disposing of millions of dollars, ponds etc .
We must have won a million lotteries too. What bothers me is that some people answer these things and I wonder how much they lose by it.

Chrissy, I enjoyed the video . I always like seeing anything on ancient civilisations especially Egypt. I couldnt live with their music though.
I like Chinese and Japanese music more than most other music from foreign countries.
Happy birthday to your brother.

Hello Colleen, back to normal now with the boys home. I hope you enjoyed your bit of quiet time alone.
I'm still watching the bud on my winter hippie. Its very slow , like waiting for the kettle to boil while you stand over it.

Hello Teresa. I showed hubby your snow pics. He says keep it over there.
Looks like you had better get some snow boots for Copper.

Hello Pam, Karen, Anthony, Louise and Charleen.
Better get out in the kitchen and put out some nibbles.
Have a lovely day and enjoy those gardens.
Here we are , nice warm Cinnamon Rolls.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 26, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8716892

Ice on the ground this morning, first for the year...I shouldn't have mentioned Spring.
But, the sky is blue and the day looks promising.
So have a good day everyone.
Dianne

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

July 26, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8716983

Good Morning to all I know why there has been so much rain it seems every time I weed the front garden the rain comes to help any roots I missed to grow nice and strong.

No new projects but I did finish my last guitar the end of the studio is so jamed packed now.

Still cold but the sun is out so at last I might be able to work out side at last.------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 26, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8717004

Good morning everyone. Frost here too but not as cold as Saturday only -1C today. lol I noticed that one of my epis has buds, so they're off again. There should be a lovely display in the SH this year, they have grown so much. The snow pics are lovely Teresa, but as everyone else says I don't think I want it here. Dianne, that Magnolia is a beautiful colour, must look a picture when it's all out. Yes, all back to "normal" in the Morris household. I think the boys are going to have to get leg guards for motorbike riding. You should see the bruises. They're not complaining one bit though. They had the time of their lives and are already pestering Uncle John about when they're going again. They have their Cub camp on the 17th August so that should be good for them. They're not going to the river this year, they're going to the old racecourse which will be great. The riding for disabled horses will be there so that will make Cameren very happy. He loves any animals. As long as they've got planned activities they will be fine. keep those little minds and hands busy. Good to see you in here again Elaine. What have you been up to? Marlene, I think I killed the Bat Plant, or do they die back in Winter? My son, Micheal used to live and work in a nursery in Bundaberg for a while and he said that they used to die there too. Not warm enough he reckons, but I don't think that would be right as it's pretty warm there isn't it? Well i had better start moving or I won't get anything done. Be back later. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 27, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8719297

Good morning everyone. frosty again here this morning. Yesterday was sunny most of the day but with a cold wind, so not enjoyable to be outside.
I moved a few of the daffodils from under the shrubs where they had been hiding. Lots of things coming up now.
I am still amazed at how plants can bloom at odd times. . I found a bud coming on one of the irises and 3 of the agapanthus have flowers out. . One of the echiums flowered a few months ago when all the others are just putting up buds now.

Colleen, I have tiny buds forming on lots of the epis, but the very early one from las year is again nearly out now. The others will be normally around the beginning of October.

Elaine, you will need a second house to keep all your lovely things in. They do look nice on that wall.

Hello Chrissy, Dianne, Pam and Karen., hope all is well with your aches & pains.

Teresa, I hope you are keeping warm there. Snow looks pretty but its awfully cold and damp when you live with it.

Hello Anthony. I see a tiny lilium tip in one of my pots . Have you looked at the new ones on eBay ? I am trying to resist .

Hello Charleen, How is our furry fellow going ? I bet Charley is enjoying his biscuits I leave out for him.

Hello Louise. Are you resting in your lovely garden after all the visitors ? Those chairs do look inviting, I may have to com eover to get warm again.

Hubby says I will soon be complaining about how hot it is. Never... I would rather be hot than cold any day... I must remind myself of that if we ever get anything really hot.
Better go and see what is out in the kitchen for morning and afternoon tea.
Try some of this very yummy Applesauce Coffee Cake.
Enjoy your gardens and keep safe .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 27, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8719375

Good morning Jean. I came in eariler but I was still there from yesterday so I thought that I would wait for you. The 14 buds are still hanging on Bucks Fizz, lots of smaller green leaves on the brugs so hopefully they'll all be fine. I noticed that Butter bomb has more buds too. All the cacti and succulents are looking good and I'm hoping they have a good flowering season. I have 9 vulsa seedlings up, now to keep them going. Have more broms coming next week. I don't know how many I have but I surely have a collection. They've put out great colour this year, not a lot of flowers but plenty of time for them all to be Mummas. Well must get going. be back later. Colleen
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

July 27, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8719431

Jean I know have been looking at houses this last few weeks there are so many on the market at this time just have not found the one thate feels right. have a great day.------elaine.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 27, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8719450

Elaine are you moving? I can't imagine you leaving your garden, every time I moved I would miss my garden more than my home.
What sort of place are you looking for ? ...hope you find it.

Jean I had a house full of people yesterday ...more coming today, my brother had such a good day.
I haven't had time to play in the garden, cooking, cleaning, washing ...I have so much washing towels and sheets (invalid washing) every day. thank goodness for my lovely new washing machine and the dryer.
The day is very nice so far but it was quite cold to start, they reckon it will get up to 20C so we can't complain about that.
I hope everyone has a great morning ^_^

I will pop back in after the visitors have been.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8719692

Awwwwwwwww, thanks so much for the delicious birthday cake and all the fairy dust and lovely wishes, Jean, Chrissy, Colleen and Karen!! That was so nice to see!!! FINALLY, I had the Wild Blue internet wizard here most of the day today and now I can FINALLY, FINALLY, after three months of internet connections dropping constantly on me, actually hold onto the connection long enough to read a thread and post!! Happy birthday to your brother too, Chrissy! Hope it's festive and upbeat for him!

We got through the terrible heat spell better than most people here because we are up on a hill surrounded by miles of trees. It was quite hot but we just stayed inside with fans and room a/c's on, and drank tons of water. I did not get much gardening done, but I did go out early in the morning and did what I could.

Jean, I'd just love to have you sit and chat with me in those chairs in the shade with a nice cold iced tea instead of a cuppa in the heat. Today was just a gorgeous day here. Come on over!!!

I have two little rascals running around the house at top speed at the moment. Guess they missed their morning walk today. I hope they never outgrow their antics!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 27, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8719848

I've been sweeping snow off the deck & some of the driveway...
gosh that snow is heavy when you try & shift it!
Got to get ready for work but thought I'd share the latest snow pix & some video of the dog out in it.http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/dalfyre/Snow%20pics%20July%202011/

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 27, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8720048

Love your snow pics, Teresa...I can enjoy the snow without standing in it. cute Dragon too...

Colleen, where did you grow your Bat plant?...I took mine out of the bathroom and put it on the verandah. I put it under a shady tree for the first time today to give it some sunlight...
I would love a white one, but see how this one goes first.
I am so pleased for you that the Sang x's are up and growing...good luck with them.

Louise, so nice to have you back on line...thank goodness you have been able to cope with the heat...though those girls are definitely telling you something...

Chrissy, it was great that George enjoyed his birthday with all his family and is still enjoying it today..
thank god for modern automatic washers...when you have extra washing they are a blessing.

Elaine, keep taking your time to choose a house...you will know when the right one comes along..

Off to the nursery this afternoon, for a browse, a hot drink and a piece of cake...
Dianne.
Like your flowers, Jean...this Pelargonium is confused...it's flowering well though..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 27, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8720099

Louise, the girls look so cute there. Asking for something by the look of those faces.
Glad you are not doing too badly with the heat. If it stays cold here I may have to come over and maybe camp in the lovely garden shed..
Cold wind here but at least no snow like Teresa has.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 27, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8720100

Lovely Pelargonium Dianne. I had the bat plant in the SH near the pond but I think it may still have been too cold for it. Ah well I tried. Great to see you back Louise. I have my computer back too, but have been too lazy to change the boys. Will get around to it. Have downloaded all my pics from the boys on to an external harddrive so that I can download them onto mine when I get around to it. Have washed again today, not so much as the other day though. Yes Chrissy imagine doing all that washing by hand? About 15 years ago I had no washing machine and had to soak all the clothes in the bath and wash and ring them out by hand. Boy were my hands sore. I often wish we could go back to good old days but I said I want a fridge and a washing machine and I think I would add an A/C for cooling to that now. Can't stand the heat. Elaine what are you going to do without your garden? You'll have to take it with you. That'll be some work, moving all the statues etc. Look after yourself. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 27, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8720285

Hello everyone. Wow, lots of reading today. Elaine, I so love your guitars. Well done. Chrissy, I loved the Egyptian music and tour through the pyramid. The art, the music, their total absorption with death...really an amazing era. Glad George enjoyed his birthday. My grand daughter turned 16 yesterday and we all went out to Sizzlers. Had a lovely time, and feed.

Found more pigeon feathers on the ground today, and my pot plants have been knocked over. Either a cat, or the crested hawk has been hunting again. I've lost count of the number of pigeons they have killed just in my yard alone. Well over 20 now.

Hope you all are having a lovely day. Getting overcast here, a bit. May I dare say, we might have a shower? Sure need it.

Karen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

July 28, 2011
12:53 AM

Post #8720323

First Epiphyllum flowers for the new season .
Epi Benjamin Leigh. Three flowers out today... nine to come.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

July 28, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8721365

Wow, Marlene, an early start. Lets hope we have a good show this year. Last year was a bit disappointing.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 28, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8721564

Good morning everyone. Cold here this morning and some cloud around . Hubby told me the forecast was for fine and a bit warmer over the weekend. One can hope.
Still hard to get anything dons around the garden because of the dampness .
Lots of new bulbs popping up now. Bluebells, mini daffs and a few other mixed ones.

Hello Marlene, lovely epis. way too early for mine. I have the one that is very early which should open soon but the others will wait until October.
Hello Karen. Hope your epis do better for you this year. I am waiting to see what mine look like as last year they were so lovely but crowded.
I have sold off a few so there is some space between them now. Not much space as the darn things never stop growing even in winter.

Hello Colleen, you reminded me of those days without a washing machine too.
I do remember and so do my hands. At one stage when living in outback WA, I had all 5 kids school clothes plus my then partners shearing clothes. A daily chore, all by hand . Thankfully, the weather was warm most of the time so drying was no problem.

Hello Dianne. Lovely pelargonium. Min have been spot flowering too. Totally confused.

Hello Louise, I'm glad that your computer problems are fixed now. The darn things have minds of their own I think. Ours is due to go in for a checkup. We usually take it in every year as it gets dusty inside . We are lucky in having the place we bought it do the checkup for a small fee.
give those darling girls a pat.

Charleen, hope you and all the furry ones are going well.

Hello Anthony. Did you look at the lovelies on eBay. I was good and resisted buying. more ( so far)

Hello Elaine, Pam, Teresa and Chrissy.

I am going to get out today and not be lazy. I will brave the cold and see what I can get done without getting wet.
Maybe trim the path plants as they do tend to hang around . Hubby said they were trying to stop him going through the archway gate yesterday into the paddock garden.

I'll put something nice out for you all .
Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Butter Cream
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8721602

Morning all...nice again today hopefully...
Off to get some spoilt lucerne for the garden, it's only a couple of dollars a bale.
I save it until Spring then use it as mulch..
I think Mick would eat it anyway if he was allowed...

I hope my Epis flower this year, can't wait to see the colours.
Lucky you Marlene.

It's pleasant just sitting in the sun with a cuppa on these days, you really appreciate the warmth.
Back later.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 28, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8721633

Hmmm, where did my post go from yesterday? Darn i must have wandered off without submitting it. lol

Colleen, I was saying, bat plants can die down in Winter, so don't be too concerned just yet. The biggest risk to them in cool weather is from overwatering though, so be very careful until you see signs of new growth. My original black one still has buds so is doing well. It seems to vary its flowering time each year so is a little difficult to predict. A couple of years ago it started flowering in August and went through to March of last year. It then started flowering again in March of this year... weird little thing.

Dianne, I've found the black one doesn't tolerate as much sun (filtered) as the white one. so just keep a bit of an eye on it. Some people say the white one is actually hardier than the black, and on thinking about it I think they might be right.

Off to take the dog to the vet, be back later. Have a great day all

Pam

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8721985

Hi everyone I finally got outside to see what I could see and found a couple of surprises ...I hope Mr frosty isn't going to spring any nasty surprises on us because some of the angels are starting to wake up ^_^ whoo hoo! I sure have missed them.

Won't be long before we are complaining of the heat again.

Loving all the pretty pics ...must go fix lunch back in a while ...enjoy the arvo everyone, I hear the rain is falling in the USA where they need it, hope you ladies over there are getting what you need.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 28, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8722117

Sorry,ive done a few posts recently,and they dont go!![sql error],.,.site shuts down! Jean,be careful with DVD-DJ as a seller of bulbs-poor feedback and i'll support a bad reference[basal rot/blue mould],.,.Take a look at 'Broerson Plants...end of season sale',.[big discounts] and youll have them in a week!,.humid here,with rain!! I won a perpetual award at 'lenah valley garden club' for 'novice floral art 2011' .champ sash and gift voucher-very nice,. lots of lily sprouts poking here, also orchid spikes,.lots of erlicheers and king alfreds opened yesterday,.'spring has sprung'
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 28, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8722303

Anthony, I went and had a look at Broersen Plants. Woweee. How long before these bulbs would flower do you know? Good afternoon everyone. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 28, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8722308

Thanks for that Anthony. I will keep an eye on my bulbs as they grow. I have looked at Broerson before so will have another look.
Congrats on the award.
Yes , I think spring has arrived despite the cold.
My earlicheer are out now. I am still watching the cymbid spikes . Very slow to open in the cold.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8722343

Congratulations Anthony ...good on you!

Yes I feel a little bit of Spring even though it's 3C overnight the day is very pleasant with sun and no wind for once.
My hippies are just finishing up now, been blooming for weeks.
I see lots of little buds fattening up and the Bottle brush are starting to break out.
Once we get past about mid August it's almost always the end of the frosts but last Spring was just cool and Grey, hopefully the sun might stick around this Spring.
It's going to start getting very busy soon. ^_^
Getting the manure in in the next couple of weeks ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
11:08 PM

Post #8722355

Missed your chat Anthony, glad you haven't frozen...congrats on your win...are you wearing your sash?
Erlicheers are out here too and the other white and yellow ones have been out for a while..Daffs won't be long either...
I will have a look at Broersons too,haven't bought anything from them for years.

Thanks for the tip Pam, I don't want to lose it..I love Bat Plants...so I will leave him under the veranda.
he gets a lot of light but no direct sun...there are new shoots coming up.
If I can get this one thru Winter I will get a white one...
Hope nothing serious for your dog.

Chrissy, the little smiley that you have been putting on your posts, I can't see...and there are a couple of places at the top of the DG page that are the same, anyone else have this problem?
Dianne

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 5:13 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8722373

Dianne how do you know there is a smiley there if you can't see it ?
Sorry I haven't done anything different ...is it this new puter ? I see it.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 28, 2011
11:50 PM

Post #8722387

I see the smiley Chrissy.
Dianne, I have no probs on DG at the moment.
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 29, 2011
12:56 AM

Post #8722420

Colleen, you would be better off asking jean or dianne when lily bloom time is,.,.here is different,.,.we have blooms from Nov-Feb,..,and,..,then it all goes quiet again and that horrible thing called winter,rears its ugly head!!! Plenty of manure here Chrissy,our Govt is very active at the moment,.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 2:59 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 29, 2011
2:07 AM

Post #8722447

When I right click on it, Chrissy and ask it to "save image" it says that it is a smiley.
I have had this prob for about a week...it seems that a lot of odd things are happening with the changes.

Thanks Jean...the 6 boxes up the top ...Home...My Tools...About Us...only 3 can be read...oh well these probs don't usually last long...

Very clever Anthony...there is a lot shovelled in Canberra too, right now.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 8:13 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 29, 2011
2:26 AM

Post #8722451

Dianne you must have jinxed me. My headings have gone and Chrissy's smilely has disappeared too. When you first asked where it was I could see mine, so something has happened since. Anthony I meant how big do you think these bulbs are and how long before they flower, sorry. You know, will they flower this season or next or the next. At that price I would think that they are only small. What do you think? Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 29, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8723794

Good morning everyone. My planned jobs for today have all gone out the window. Hubby said the forecast was for fine but I think the fine is s till over with Colleen, maybe. Very windy here most of yesterday afternoon and rain during the night.
I said to hubby yesterday that the wind would at least, dry things out. Ha, someone upstairs must have heard me and dropped a bucket of rain . I 'll be sitting inside today in the warm.

Anthony, my bulbs are usually around the same time as yours . Dianne may be earlier being on the coast . Our small corner of the state seems to have different weather to to the surrounding parts. Just looking at the dates on last years pics, the asiatics were blooming in Dec/Jan. All the rest are mostly the same.
I have a couple of buds I am watching now, but the bulbs had long shoots already when I bought them . Probably go back to the same time as all the rest next year.

Hello Colleen. What have you done to upset your computer ? lol..
I see all the headings and the smiley. You know computers have a mind of their own when it comes to doing what you want them too.

Hello Chrissy, Pam, Karen, Teresa and Elaine. i hope all those aches are receding now with a bit of sunshine .

Louise, are you still getting lots of hot weather ? I havent seen a weather report form the USA lately.
How is your garden doing now ? I hope the heat didnt do too much damage.

Hello Charleen, hugs for Charley and friends.

Enjoy the weekend everyone and I hope the sun shines for you all.
Try some of this Apricot Upside Down Cake. Yummy when eaten warm with some custard.
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8723832

Hi Jean. Ick -no laptop again, but I seem to have use of my iPhone still. My gardens are doing fine, thanks, and the weather has been up and down. Raining now, and that's good! I don't think I'll ever get used to the weather being opposite there. Spring is on the way for you and fall will soon be hwre foe us. My, My!! :)

Have a lovely day everyone!!
Louise
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 29, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8724153

Colleen[all clear],.they are flowering size bulbs now,.,.expect 3-6 flowers on each,.[ive planted about 15 varied bulbs],.actually when they arrive,you may spot a little spurt of growth in the bag..,.Dianne,i think upkeep on this site may be suffering,.,.- not like that with ''THE MIGHTY BLUES'' though,.,.,.My arthritis [fingers] is giving me hell today,but i must 'plug on',.Anthony
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 29, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8724332

Thanks for that Anthony. Do you pay $8.50 postage for every type of bulb or will they do a deal? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 29, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8724387

Louise what a pain, it never seems to end for you...how frustrating...

I won't say anything Anthony, 'cause I want you to beat Collingwood...that would be really painful for them if you knocked them off on Grand final day...
Essendon have to wait for next year now...too many injuries..
Geelong can do it if all goes well..
But Carlton would really rub salt into the wound...lol

Went to the plant sale in the Geelong Botanic gardens this morning...drizzly rain but not too cold...
Jean, you would have been in your element...Salvias everywhere, Geelong holds the national collection..I bought one..I am so strong...sure...S. karwinskii "Winter Red"...it looks a bit different to the other one I have..bigger flower maybe..

Also bought another Iochroma cyaneum and Colleen, this will interest you, a double white tree Dahlia.
They were cutting them up into little pieces and charging a dollar for them, so I got one for you too..
If you haven't already got one, I will send the blue, which I got from a friend yesterday and the white on Monday...
They are tiny pieces but they have nodes...so they should be ok.

Mine will be going in my bird garden...there is so much in there now 2 more things won't matter.
It's survival of the fittest in there now, funny thing everything grows like crazy all I have to do is prune,
they are all left to their own devices...the birds love all the different things I'm sure...
I hope that there are skinks in there...I put large rocks for them to sit on, but it is so overgrown, I can't see them anymore.
Geelong will be playing soon so I'm off.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 29, 2011
11:59 PM

Post #8724677

That's great Dianne. No I haven't been able to find anyone with the white or the mauve over here. I think they must have gone out of fashion. Thank you so much. Can you answer the question about the postage from Broersen's. The a few lilliums that I would like to have from them but I don't want to pay $8.50 for each lot. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 30, 2011
1:05 AM

Post #8724697

Colleen, I put in different amounts of plants and the shipping and handling was always the same..
$8.50...
Put in your varieties and check your shopping basket...you can see before you pay what charge is put on for delivery...
There are some lovely plants there.
Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 30, 2011
1:37 AM

Post #8724698

Colleen, i got 395 bulbs for 8.50 +4.oo quarentine, i could hardly carry the box!!.,.they are''REALLY'' good to deal with,.,.and if they make a mistake-and you let them know,.,.you are 100%+ reimbursed,.,.no heated discussions/ no stress,.,.,..Dianne,,Should the tetrus pieces fall into place,come finals time-who knows?,.,.what i do know though,according to the news tonight,4xxxx will go up 34 cents--i better go and weep!-goodnight,Anthony
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 30, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8724721

Have done the deed. $8.50 postage. That's great value isn't it? I think I will put them into pots and put them around the paved area. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8725797

Good morning everyone. The sun is up and shining in the window but it is still cold out there. I may get out and do something productive later. I have lots of cuttings coming on that will need potting on and seeds that could be planted now.

Hello Colleen, sounds like you are getting that lilium bug. Watch out, its very catching.

Hello Dianne. , are you also getting even more liliums too.
We have definitely been infected with Anthonys liliumitis. The Botanic Gardens sound lovely. I would have been nipping a salvia cutting or two if I was there.

Anthony, you are going to be lost among your liliums and we'll need to send a search party to find you.

Hello Pam, Elaine and Karen.
Teresa, I hope you are keeping warm there. Are you still getting snow ?

Hello Louise, its annoying when computers get a bit uppy and dont want to work for you. I hope all is well now with yours.

Hello to Charleen and anyone else popping in for a cuppa.
I am off to make myself another and warm my fingers.

Here is something nice to have with your cuppa. Chocolate Banana Cake.
Happy day.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 30, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8725949

well it is a lovely sunny morning here, most of the snow has melted, just a few patches on the Port hills & a few piles that are in deep shade.
We may not see snow like that again for years...
but who knows, if the weather patterns line up it could happen any time over the next couple of months.
At least with snow you get a warning it is on the way & can prepare.
Earthquakes are so hard for many people to live with as there is no knowing when they will hit.
think most of those who can't cope have left ChCh, those of us remaining are either more optimistic or more fatalistic & just get on with things between shakes.

My garden appears to be pretty good, the swan plants are looking a bit frost bitten but still surviving, my sister-in-law says she lost hers as soon as there was frost...
I will have to give her some plants if mine make it to spring - so far so good :)

I need to have a closer look at the winter iris, one is looking very brown & sad but I am not sure about the rest.
I only need one plant to make it though - they multiply quite well so I would be able to divide & replace in spring.

I wonder how the lily bulbs enjoyed the blanket of snow?
I know the daffodils won't have minded, they have been there & done that without missing a beat in the past.

the cyclamen look to have recovered just fine & my white hellebore has flowers coming up.
Only one of the others has a flower - it is one that was too small to flower previously so it is nice to see it.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8725994

Hello Teresa. I wouldnt worry about the winter iris. They seem to survive anything . Mine live down the back and have never been looked after. I stuck then down there at the time , not knowing what they were. I get lots of the pretty blue flowers each year.
The iris, hellebore, etc, are from places where their ancestors would have seen snow & frosts. The roots are there in the ground even if the tops are gone.
Glad you are getting some sunshine now. Copper will be pleased.
jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 30, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8726673

Copper & I had a lovely walk this afternoon before a late lunch.
It was quite fresh out there but the sunshine was wonderful.
I was playing farmville but fell asleep...
didn't get home till nearly 2am this morning, there was a 60th birthday on at work & they didn't leave until nearly midnight.
I finished cleaning up & doing my till at about 12.45am & called a taxi - it took 3 goes to get through & then ages for it to arrive, and that was with the lovely dispatcher sneaking me onto the priority queue as she recognised me as a regular.
I have to taxi home from work every second week as Baz starts so early he needs to be in bed asleep long before I come home - and I can't drive.
My brother started teaching me a few years back & even took me off roading when he had a 4wd, I was fine with that!
It is the other traffic I can't cope with.
My partner of the time found out & put the pressure on for me to get on with it & that was the end for me - cracked under the strain of trying to drive our van with him grabbing the steering wheel & forcing us further to the right, he thought we were too far left, he was actually pushing us into oncoming traffic...
what had been a bad case of nervousness became a full blown phobia after that.
Baz would love it if I could drive but has wisely left me alone about it.
I know full well how much easier my life would be if I could drive, just cannot get past the fear, it all but paralyses me & even being a passenger can make me feel ill if I watch the traffic instead of the scenery.
I see potential accidents everywhere - doesn't help that my ex once smashed us into a power pole & wrote off the ute he was driving.
I think if we'd been in our own van at the very least he would have been killed & goodness knows if I would have survived - not to mention the 3 dogs we had with us.
The smash was due to the ex falling asleep at the wheel, we had spent the weekend in the North Island competing at the National Dog Show, he took some sea sickness tablets for the 3 hour ferry ride back to the South Island...
not supposed to drive after taking them & he was dog tired anyway.

Now why couldn't I have a 'normal' phobia like snakes or spiders - those I can handle, literally, had a huntsman as a pet & have stroked snakes without a qualm.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8726697

You are not alone in not driving Teresa. My Mum was the same and never did learn. She spent lots of dollars on driving lessons but couldnt get the car out of the driveway. When I moved to be near and look after her, I soon put a stop to the unscrupulous teacher taking her money for nothing. She didnt need to learn as she was quite happy to walk to the shops and I was always happy to drive her.
If you miss your huntsman friend, I can send you any amount for company.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 31, 2011
12:15 AM

Post #8726741

Driving can be extremely stressful, so best left well alone...when I have to drive in Melbourne, I come home with tension headaches every time...so glad to get back to the peninsular where there are only a handful of traffic lights...and no traffic...

No Jean, I didn't buy any Liliums, though there were some beauties...I have about 40 of Anthony's babies to flower in the next couple of years...so I will leave the Liliums to everyone else...
What I did buy, were 3 Aconitums, haven't seen any for years..lovely things..I grew them many years ago...I never have much luck with Delphiniums, so for me these are a good blue substitute...

I'm not going to ask Anthony which ones he bought because he bought 395 of them..hope you bought some more spotty ones, Anthony...I love seeing the pics.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

July 31, 2011
2:26 AM

Post #8726772

No,my aquaintance'Sid ',was responsible for 250 bulbs[gladdies],-he does very good 'cut flowers' at a place called 'island market'',.,.you may have heard me say,''i sold this years excess bulbs to...'' well that was Sid,.,.He reckons,ive got the best home grown bulbs[i reckon there might be a few other people that agree with him],,but i never ''toot my flute'',.,.i'll gladly grow and breed liliums,as long as everyone is happy buying them or even just looking at them,.,.2 years ago,i purchased lilium seeds of''pardelinum caucasicum[albino] lilium 20 seeds-$10,.,.rare as rhs,.,.well to my joy,today i noticed 4 seeds had germinated and i had little club shaped leaves popping up''woo hoo'',.,.next year[maybe] i may have a flower,.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8727134

Yes, Jean and Diane, the frustration will soon push me towards Apple. My iPhone is so much better, but I can't post any photos. I have a lot of pretties to share with you, but not today. Anyway, we are down at my son's house for his birthday and it is a beautiful and happy day. Wishing you all the same.
Louise
gardengal
se qld
Australia

July 31, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8727891

Gee Anthony, I want 450 bulbs for $8.50 but I can't seem to find them anywhere on the site. lol

Morning all. We've been away near Toowoomba for a couple of days for a family get together for my father in law's birthday. My gosh it's cold down there. We went to the markets at Cabarlah yesterday morning and got there around 7.30. Here at home, if I'm getting to the markets at that time the car park is beginning to fill up, so we sort of pushed for an early start. We got there though and it was practically deserted ... probably due to the cold no doubt. Father in law had put off having breakfast before we left, but then had to wait around an hour while they finished setting up to order a burger. oops!

There wasn't anything particularly exciting in the way of plants, so I just got a little echeveria black prince for a bit of contrast in my succulent garden at the front. It all survives pretty well on mainly just rainfall and just needs a tidy up a couple of times a year. The snowflake euphorbias (E. leucocephala) are finished flowering now so cutting them back and tidying up a bit will be on the schedule for the coming week. The snowflakes were almost as tall as the house this year after all the rain we had over Spring and Summer, so were quite a sight in full bloom. Their flowering period sadly doesn't last long (only a month or so) but they're very hardy. In contrast to the short flowering period is its little cousin sold as Diamond Frost (only about 15 cm high) - there's only about a month or so during the warmer weather when it isn't in flower. There's a picture here, with what looks like one of the ornamental sweet potatoes (not my pic, so just a link, sorry): http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegardendeva/4876954652/

Little Josh is 8 months old and into everything but particularly loves water, so it's off to swimming lessons starting today before he starts to walk. We're going to have to fence off a yard for him (and Izzy when she comes to visit) to play in, but with the dam, on the off chance that he manages to escape, it's just too much of a risk not to have him taught to swim. Iz turned one in May and started lessons in the heated pool down there last week, but apparently isn't enjoying stripping off in the cold too much. lol

Still lots of planting to do here, along with setting up some trickle irrigation, and cutting back the grasses etc before Spring. The way things are going though if I don't get into that shortly they're going to take off again without me, so another job that will go on the must do list for this week I guess.

Have a great day all

Pam

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 31, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8728091

Good morning everyone. Aside from the cold wind, yesterday was quite nice. The sun stayed around most of the day. I moved a few pots around , then planted more seeds in the greenhouse. It wont be long until that one is full. Hubby says , no more greenhouses or shadehouses, We dont have any more room even if I wanted them.
Lots of weeds here too Pam. The Roundup is waiting but I need a dry day with no wind.
Lots of swelling blossom buds on the fruit trees . I hope we get a great crop like last year. I have little nectarine trees coming up everywhere. Gave a couple away the other day. Apparently its hard to find the old fashioned white fleshed one we have. Our mother tree is quite old. I have about 6 of her offspring growing well around the place. They all crop well from a young age.
Today looks windy but fine so far. . Hubby says rain is coming .

Anthony, we are looking forward to seeing all your beautiful liliums when they flower. Its great that you can grow so many and sell them too, so others can share the pleasure of the blooms.

Dianne, I love those spotty liliums too. So delicate looking . I don thave any luck here with the delphiniums either. They dont like the soil here. Russell Lupins are the same. Just wont grow here. I used to like seeing the huge massed displays of the lupins up in the terraced gardens at the chalet on Mt Buffalo.. A rainbow of colors.

Hello Louise. I do hope you can get yourself fixed up with a computer that works for you. I look forward to seeing pics of your garden.
Give those girls a pat from me.

Hello Colleen,. My little cacti are growing well. I am really hoping for flowers this year. Brians little baby is putting on new growth too. They have all done well in the cold.

Hello Karen, Elaine, Chrissy and Teresa.

I am going to do some of my mail before I go outside. I may pot a few plants later that are outgrowing their pots. I have my new white Daphne to put into a large pot too. Lots of zygos coming out . These are mainly the older buckleyii ones that always bloom later. Nearly all pink/purple but pretty . They certainly do a lot better flower wise than all the new hybrids.
My hatioras should start getting buds soon too. They will bloom around Nov/Dec.
Still waiting for the orchids to open as well.

I hope you all had a great weekend.
Hers something tasty to have with a cuppa. Blueberry Shortcake.
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8728350

YeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwww!!!!The old mule woman is back. Whew!! i have a heck of a tiome catching up and you poor darlings are all freezing. Brrrrrrrr!!! Just don't like the cold, joints ache, thinking about it.
Charley was getting so fat had to put him on a diet. He doesn't like that. Cut back on the sweetfeed. Still fluffy. It is so hot here, and my Angel's Trumpets are so pretty. This is good picture...
Wishing you all a marvelous day and stay warm...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 31, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8728484

Good morning everyone. We had a beautiful weekend here. 23C today is mild but overcast and have had a few spots of rain. Am washing at the moment and then will see what I'm going to do in the garden. Beautiful angels Charleen. Nobody likes to be on a diet, not even animals so I feel sorry for poor redmule. Not much going on here so will go and finish my work and I'll be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 31, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8728554

That's what I like about Nectarines Jean, no matter what the experts say about growing from a stone,
I have never seen one that hasn't been a good cropper if the parent has been prolific..
In my mother's time everyone grew from a stone, no nurseries in her area...and we all had fruit trees in the back yard...peaches ,apricots and nectarines from a stone and figs from a cutting...

Anthony, I am trying to find a Pardelinum caucasicum pic...if you know of a link can you let me know...
What I did find was a lovely one that I hadn't seen before...L.michiganense..oooh, nice

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 31, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8728729

Hello Charleen. Your brugs are looking very beautiful.
Poor Charley, I'll sneak him a cookie later when you are not watching.

Colleen, we had a few spots of rain earlier and right on lunch time there was a loud clap of thunder. Hubby said a few thunderstorms are forecast.
I didnt order them so I dont want them.

Dianne , I see another lilium coming to your house. lol
I like the color of that red lilium..

Sun is out again so I may get something done outside, but the wind is cold.
Jean.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 31, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8728738

I was inspired to get my roses pruned - most of them are now looking far tidier.
Noticed that my old purple one out the back is covered in a white powdery substance and a few in the front garden are affected as well.
I looked up powdery mildew thinking it must be that but it is on the old canes & not on the new foliage - despite the cold the roses were putting out new leaves!

Any ideas folks?

I did have a bad aphid infestation over summer - I left the rose out the back to it's own devices & the aphids were so bad it was black on the stone mulch .
I ended up cutting the rose back severely & washing the remaining aphids off with dish washing liquid solution.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 31, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8728785

Teresa, try spraying with some powdered milk in water.
i usually just walk along and squish any aphids as I dont usually get too many and mainly just one or two plants affected.
A bit of eucalyptus oil in water is great to use regularly to keep bugs off. Not too strong though or it can burn new shoots.
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 31, 2011
11:50 PM

Post #8728900

No Jean, it won't be coming to my place...other photos make it look just like a Tiger lily...
I thought that the petals stayed like the one in the picture...so money stays in pocket...
Who knows, with all Anthony's treasures, I'm sure that I will get something from him, that is just that bit different...
Charleen, your Brugs do look great, they must smell great too...
So it's hay for Charley for a while...never mind we can send him lots of cyber treats...

Anthony, your Aussie Green & Gold is flowering now...lovely. I'll take a pic tomorrow if the snails don't ruin it.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 1, 2011
1:55 AM

Post #8728947

Sorry,Dianne,try 'martagon caucasicum''- which i got crossed up in thinking was the 'martagon albiflorum',which i have in another box,.,.2 years is confusing on the memory when ive planted so many,.,.Take a look at 'kelloggi'-i have a pack of seeds here,i could spare a few,.but you will have to wait for the flowers!![these are from Rainbow Francombe']

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 1, 2011
2:34 AM

Post #8728966

Very pretty, Anthony...I will resist the seeds though, thank you...
I think that a couple of the ones that I had to wait 2 yrs for, have just come through...I will look at my notes tomorrow and check on the names...let you know then...they may have been Turk's caps...

Colleen, your Tree Dahlias are in the mail...
Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 1, 2011
2:43 AM

Post #8728972

Thank you Dianne. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8729193

Thank you all for Careing for "Poor Charley" He is what they call an easy keeper. Doesn't take much to make him fluffy, seems I'm an easy keeper too. doesn't take much to fluff me up either.
There is new grass popping up whenever we get a nice shower like we did last night. Won't have to water them today. i am so glad. But it does make the grass grow among them fast, that is for sure. all that water and fertilizer...You all have a great day. We love you, Charley and I...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8730289

Good morning everyone. Cold and windy yesterday, but so far this morning , no wind. It seems that the wind if any will come with the sun . There was some fog around earlier.
Anthony, you must stop tempting us with lovely things to look at. I was looking at those liliums you mentioned. and they are very pretty. I'll try a few seeds if you have spare, thank you.
Dianne, do you look on the Pacific Bulb Society site ? I often do but I know I shouldnt as there are so many beauties we cant have.
Hello Charleen> I think Charley waits for his cyber treats as hes one smart mule.
Hello everyone else. I am going outside while there is no wind. I may geta bit of spraying done.
I will leave something nice for nibbles. Chocolate Chip Cookies. ( not all for Charley either)
Have a great day .
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 1, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8731312

Hi everyone, been out there hacking back the #$%^&%^$# Spring Jasmine which has devoured a large portion of my secret garden. I had not been down around the corner for weeks (behind the shed) and it was pitiful.
The gingers and the Camelia, even the Norfolk Island Palm were under siege, to make matters worse the wasps are out already and it's scary stuff working with them around.
I felt very guilty when a birds nest came toppling out of the top of the old camelia tree, it had been nestled in the branches and fell as I was working, beneath where it had been were lots of pieces of torn plastic bag ??? I don't know which bird built it it was bigger than most of them I find around here. I couldn't find any evidence of a baby or eggs so I hope it was an old nest. I am lucky enough today to be able to have done a bit more gardening thanks to some visitors sitting with my brother. It felt so good but some parts of my garden are so neglected ...sigh.
The jungle is a true jungle now where it's survival of the fittest and fastest grower.
Lots to do but not enough outside time.
The Sunshine was lovely for a change ...it seems to re charge the batteries after the Winter, we all start to get the urge don't we, our hot water service died Friday night and that see's me boiling kettles for everything until the new one is installed tomorrow ...reminds me of when we were little and did not have hot water in the kitchen.

Well I had best go clean up after the visitors, must boil the jug :) to wash the dishes.
I hope everyone is enjoying the early onset of Spring but be careful a late Frost can do a lot of damage to those tender new shoots.
Charleen you didn't really put poor Charlie on a diet did you ?
Ok better get a move on, see everyone later ...

This message was edited Aug 2, 2011 4:34 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 1, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8731314

I looked there, Jean...some really different bulbs aren't there...
Iv'e been potting a couple of things this morning...
The tree dahlia cuttings were very small so I put them in a pot...see how they go..
I might give them to my Mum's nursing home if I decide that I can't keep them...
In fact that might be the better idea...the residents love old fashioned flowers.

I take my spare plants up there, the owners are a bit stingy filling the garden...3 yrs and it still isn't packed..
They put in a lot of Daphnes which have done amazingly well in full sun...Some tall, crepe myrtles which are lovely and lots and lots of Arthropodiums and tall grasses...but they hadn't put in any plants that the residents are used too...so we had a meeting and any plants donated would be planted in the very spacious garden...One resident bought a Lemon tree and Mum and I bought a Santa Rosa plum, which should flower for the first time this year...

The residents don't like modern, they like familiar...Roses, Camellias, Rhodos,Hydrangeas have all found their way into the garden and now we might be getting a veggie garden too...
It's all very well to feed the stomach but food for the soul is very important too...

Anthony, I put Green and Gold on the August thread...and those seeds were Speciosum Rubrum..
2 of them have come thru...so now all your seeds have sprouted...I don't know how you manage hundreds...I only have 40 odd to worry about.
Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8731408

Chrissy, please dont remind me that I have Jasmine running around in my yard.. She is a flighty thing but sneaky. None if this climbing over things for ehr. She creeps along the ground for miles and then pops up in the middle of things. If I want to get her off plants , I have to find the creepy bits and I dont really want to go diving in under everything as there are strange things that lurk in dark places. I just love the flower sand perfume so have been very soft with her. she is very good at self rooting as the creepy bits move along the ground.
I must have 100s of her around now. Hubby watches that she does not go anywhere near his radio tower. Imagine seeing Jasmine going up a tower over 90' high
Dianne, I tried some tree dahlia cuttings from an old lady , a few years ago , but they never grew over 3' high , then just disappeared. They are not something I really wanted anyway.
A bit too windy here anyway.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8731417

Yes too windy here too they blow down just when they are at their most beautiful sadly, lovely things though.
Well I thought you might like to see the plastic bag shreds the nest had under it.
If you look into the Camelia branches there are still some of the plastic shreds stuck in there.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:54 PM

Post #8731418

This was my cardamon before I got stuck into the jasmine

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
12:01 AM

Post #8731424

Every year I end up putting a number of tendrils into containers of RoundUp to suck it up, that seems to control it for a while but I was too busy year before last and the feral tendrils got very excited and decided to gobble up everything in sight, so sneaky hiding in the Rangoon Creeper ! I would not let it seduce me into giving it a reprieve this year so I have enough pretty perfume as it is besides it can give me a headache when it comes by the ton.
Take that !!!!! you little Creep (er) grrrr I am mad at myself for letting it get away again!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 2, 2011
1:40 AM

Post #8731447

Oh Dianne,thats great,means, mine will sprout soon[rubrum],.,.they came from 'grapus' -who has been very quiet since the happenings in Oslo,..,i hope hes ok,.he creates great seeds,for a young snapper!!,.Dianne when you have all these seeds,''you just set and forget'',.until weeding time,then i dissappear into the vortex for a while with a couple of 4xxxx,.,.some fertilising medium,.,.and great hopes,.,..Jean,i will send you some seeds of 'unseen trumpets' bred by Ray Mcnamara,[shades of yellow,pink,purple gold,-interswirled edging- and all from his breedstock] not junk!! by any means.,.i dont think the Kelloggi would last very long in your climate[way too warm],..,Dont worry,there will be plenty of irresistable bulbs in the next couple of years
[where the hell did the rest of my thread go]?-Im sick of this!!!!!!!!!!!! DG-answers????????

This message was edited Aug 2, 2011 3:51 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 2, 2011
2:29 AM

Post #8731456

Anthony, I forgot that Grapus lived in Norway...lets hope that this tragedy hasn't touched his family or friends...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
2:53 AM

Post #8731462

yes it's getting to be kind of a drag ...

Hope your friend in Norway is ok Anthony ...2011 ...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8732401

Good morning everyone. Such glorious days here at the moment. Have been slowly chomping into the mess out front, and have also started some repotting, getting large plants into bigger pots. Got sent this in an email this morning. Made me smile. Hope ou all have a great day.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8732570

Good morning everyone. I have been wandering around the threads. Its so easy to be sidetracked and lose all sense of time.
Its sunny here this morning after a nice mild day yesterday. We didnt get to 20C as Melbourne did but the day was sunny and lovely to be out in.
i weeded a few places, picked a few dead bits of things and in general wandered around planning what needs to be done. Things are still a bit wet so no sense getting into too much just yet.
I am expecting a couple of new bromeliads today so that will keep me occupied. I want to move all the plainer hardier ones out to the shadehouse to make room for the more colorful ones . I have a couple that are going to grow large so they will be better off in the shadehouse too.

Anthony, thanks for the seeds , I will look forward to lots more new bulbs from them. I see there is a shoot popping up in one I bought from eBay.
I just hope they all soon follow. My dracunculus are growing like mad and are nearly 12' high already.
I moved all the callas out into the sun and the Christmas lilies are growing well after being lost under plants all year.
I left them in a large pot but if they flower this year, I will separate and put some in the garden.

Chrissy, I can see us both wrestling with Jasmine. She sure has a way about her. If I find her choking a plant, I have been known to just grab branches and pull until something breaks off. Hopefully not the plant underneath. I have found that most plants will just grow up through her . I will have to get into the back of the garden where the original root base is and check on whats going on . I have a magnolia there that I dont want covered up.

Karen, I love the two oldies on the seat. Isnt that just like a man though ? lol

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Pam and Elaine. I hope you are all feeling very springyfied now. Getting out in the garden and relaxing in the sun.

Hello Louise. I hope the computer woes are fixed now. We miss seeing those pics of the girls and your lovely garden.

Charleen, I hope my brugs get to look like yours one day. So pretty in a row like that. Pats for Charley.

Hello to any lurkers out there. Pop in and chat.
I wil leave you all something yummy to have with your cuppa. Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8732879

thank you dear. I'm going to space them wide enough next year to get lawnmower thru them. I have to use riding mower on part and push mower on rest. Then come back in with a dag gummed weed eater...
Charley sends you all nuzzles...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8733154

Charleen I can see you out there in khaki fatigues and fully armed ready to take on the triffids,
While I was out there yesterday dealing with mine I had just about finished ... I turned around and not 1ft from my head was the most fightening looking spider eyeing off my nose I reckon ...normally I don't mind my spiders but this one looked evil and was an unfamiliar stranger, needless to say that sent me off out of there quite quickly and hurriedly shaking my hair out in case he had a friend in the stuff that had just fallen on my head as I pulled the jasmine out of the top of the camellia tree.
While I was down there I found the giant cactus that fell in a storm has set up a cactus jungle GULP!!!!
That's the next thing to tackle.

I need to finish it off quickly because it won't be safe in there soon, red bellied blacks just love that part of the garden.
ooops the plumber is here to install the water heater ...back later

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8733237

Those cactus can be brutal too. I had one and fianally threw it in another area. they are not but not when they stick you. don't care for Yucca either...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 2, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8733436

Just came in for a rest. I have been outside with my jumper OFF. It has turned lovely and warm. You should see all the brugs leaves hanging their heads.
I dont think they want the heat to arrive after all the cooler weather. Perhaps I am breeding a bunch of funny brugs that prefer the cool to the heat .
They will all get a shock soon when I remove the shadecloth for a while.
I have been moving all the leftover cacti and aporos from the old leanto shadehouse. The orchids are going in there when I remove the shadecloth sides. This will free up more room down the back for the brugs .
I have been hanging some of the succulents in baskets on the old tank stand. Also some aporos and they are very prickly little b**** so I have a nice rash on my arms.
Shopping day tomorrow so nothing will be done around there until Friday. I hope the weekend stays fine as I want to have it all done. Hubby says no fine weekend though.
Oh well back to the sunshine while it lasts.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8733491

Too hot here already too, oh brother be careful what we wish for right?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
12:13 AM

Post #8733552

Karen, love that email...I will send it on...
Wow, what a day...off with the warm clothes...on with the short sleeves...

Chrissy, that must have been scary, face to face with that spider...
All those eyes and the furry body...yucko.

Did anyone watch the final of "Australia you've got talent", last night?
That Jack sure has a great voice...how can the voice of a mature black woman come out of a white 14yr old boy...beats me...you would swear it was Whitney Houston or someone like her...
The magician was marvellous too...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 3, 2011
1:23 AM

Post #8733618

its scary!![especially with a gay haircut]-i'll keep my posts short,..,check out,.,.Hardyplants.com[lilium seeds] or any other seeds for that matter,.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

August 3, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8734753

[quote="g_whizz"]its scary!![especially with a gay haircut]-.[/quote]

Ah Anthony, he's 14! If a bad hair cut is the worst decision he makes in the next few years he'll be doing well.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8734763

Isn't that the truth??? Kid has a lot of growing to do!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 3, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8734815

Good morning everyone.
Rain here all night after a beautiful day yesterday. At least its not very cold, yet.
I spent the day moving lots of old pots and half dead forgotten plants from the old shadhouse . Now I can start to put the orchid shelves in and give the plants more sun. They had a nice place down the back in the sun, but some large green plants move din and took over ( brugs)
I was trying to reach up and hang a couple of baskets on the old tank stand out of the way and ended up with a prickly rash on my arms from the very prickly aporo cacti. I should have left my jumper on while doing it.
Not bad , just a bit itchy.
I am going to put out some goodies for you all then off to get things in the car for shopping day.
Here we are.. Blueberry Bran Muffins.
Have a great day and keep safe everyone.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8735073

Hottest Winter night on record here...no rain though, Jean.
Doona went flying in the middle of the night, and I had to put the summer weight one on...

Gum tree pruning day today, the grafted Eucalypts don't get too tall, so it makes them easy to control.
Over the next 2 months, the winds will get very gusty and if I don't prune, I will lose branches..the gum nuts are very heavy and there are lots of them...so the long pruners will do the job and my trees won't be damaged.

Hope that rash clears up quickly,Jean...nasty things those prickles...

Well, I'm off to get the green bin and the loppers...
Back later.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 3, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8735832

Rain all night here and all day over in Hamilton. No rain here at home though.
I found no orphans, so just bought some more potting mix and a couple of large pots Going to put my feet up now and enjoy a cuppa.
I wish our eucalypts were small enough for me to prune but they are all so very tall. It is beyond us now to do anything like cutting trees down , so I just have to hope they dont fall down. There is one ugly branch that is low down so I will get at it with the saw. It is dead but full of ginormous spiky seed pods. Looks like an ancient mace. I am sue they would do a serious injury if the branch fell on you.
Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 4, 2011
12:42 AM

Post #8735854

Just been watching the news about that young girl with the neck bomb.
Shocked to think this kind of thing could be going on in Australia.

Nicer subject...my Rhynchostylis orchid is in bloom.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 4, 2011
12:50 AM

Post #8735856

yes gardengal,- youre not wrong-better than a bad tattoo,.,.now,imagine if he sounded like Ray Charles- or Elvis

This message was edited Aug 4, 2011 3:15 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 4, 2011
1:08 AM

Post #8735862

Something odd about that hostage situation...Marlene..

A perfect white Orchid is really perfection..to my eyes.

Don't go near the dead branch with the ginormous seed pods, Jean...one day it will fall down..
And we need you to cross those Belle abutilons...
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8737081

Good morning everyone. I want to know who came down and stole the weather we had for a day ?
Was someone upstairs teasing us down here with a taste of what we may get later ? Rain all day yesterday while shopping , then all night .
I have one positive thought, its not too cold, but hubby says the forecast is for very cold again.
Wringing of hands , alas and woe is me... etc etc...
Oh for the "good old days"when seasons were seasons...
Really, what do I expect ? It is winter still.

I am waiting on my new seeds to arrive ... crepe myrtles and rhododendrons plus the little abutilons... going to be fun watching them grow..
Lucky I spent the other fine day doing that clearing out of the old shadehouse as it would be very messy doing it now.
I still have 3 large poly boxes of succulents to drag somewhere else down the back. They have grown nicely in the s/house but are way too big to leave there now.
One thing with succulents, I can rip out large pieces and just toss them somewhere for a new garden to appear.
I did this around the back of the clothesline and now have hardly any room to let the sheets etc hang on the line.
Going to be a huge chop chop there later.
Chrissy, that tiny piece of succulent creeper you gave me years ago has now emerged from being a timid little slow grower hiding from me, to a huge triffid. It is creeping over everything ,but I still like it. It flowered with the pretty yellow flowers this year for the first time. It will get a chop chop too but just to contain it.
Hubby says could I please chop some of the succulents along the driveway as they keep coming out further and further so it is hard to get the car out of the garage without running over some of them.
Another chop chop job. At least thats easy . I just go along with the shovel and chop then rake up and dump somewhere else. That way I can fill up all those awful spaces down the back which get all the winter weather where nothing much will grow.

Hello Anthony, another little head popping up in the lilium area.

Hello Dianne, you are right, I wont be going close to that branch. It is going to have to come down though as it is hanging part way over the edge of the greenhouse.
Have to tie a rope to it and pull away as hubby cuts it. Luckily the gums with the awful pods are along the fence at the roadside so can be let fall onto the area there without damaging the garden much.
Hubby is still kicking himself for all the planting of the eucalypts all around the boundary fence. He didnt know anything about gardening and was talked into these by a smart seller at the time.
I must take some of the blame for the blue gums around the back paddock though. We were told that they would make a good windbreak and not grow too tall. As the trees were free, we planted the things. Yes, they do make a windbreak if you are 30' up in the air.
The maggies like them anyway for nesting . I am slowly underplanting with shrubbier things like cootamundra wattle and melaleuca.

Hello to everyone else coming in for a cuppa.
I am off to do domestic things like washing & dusting.

Try this Coffee & Walnut Cake with your cuppa.
Have great day and enjoy the weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 4, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8737118

Good morning Jean. Yes please I'll have a cuppa. It's raining here too but as you said not too cold. Has been quite warm here the past few days. Hot in fact in the SH as I was tidying up the broms. I have plants everywhere out there at the moment. We have new neighbours across the road after the house being empty for quite a while. I introduced myself when I was going to get the boys from school yesterday. They have a Husky dog, haven't seen it yet, but It's already killed it's first cat. One of my cats has been going across the road I think because it was nice and quiet and plus there may have been mice as the place has been empty. I hope she doesn't go back. I only hope they don't let it out. I have to go and take the boys to school. Hope everyone is well be back later. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8737174

It's a bowling ball. Gouted it tonight.
Poor kitty cat. So sad...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8737353

Very pretty , Charleen. Something Charley cant eat.. lol
Jean

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8737368

No, it wouldn't taste very good. Hard as a rock bowling ball...☺

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 4, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8737877

Love the Butterfly, Charleen and the bowling ball...things like that look pretty in the garden...
I have 2 wrought iron birds that I want to paint bright pink when it warms up...

The minute that dog gets out, Colleen...phone the Ranger...bad dog, bad owners to allow it to kill something...you're in the suburbs not the outback...dogs like that should wear a muzzle.

I know the Blue gums are big, Jean...but they are majestic on a property...There are so few stands of
mature Eucalypts on the Bellarine...all the timber was taken to Melbourne by ship over a hundred years ago...So there isn't much around that is of any great age, but the ones that are are treasures..

I know that your husband finds them pesky, but by planting them you have both given a wonderful gift
to the future owners of your property...just imagine them in another 100 yrs, how magnificent...
Your garden is beautiful, I'm know the trees will look great with your underplanting...

Get of your soapbox,Dianne...I know, but the dog issue, hits home with me...and Jean, a property planted up like yours is pure gold...
Now I'll make a cuppa...lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8737907

Dianne, I have certainly done my tree planting bit, as I think there are at least 40 trees out in the paddock and around the place.
I went mad at the beginning and planted the willow cutting which grew like topsy. Then I added the 4 seedling nectarines , followed by melaleucas, wattles, ashes, Japanese Maples, Manchurian Pear, buddleas, bottlebrushes. and even 4 red gums. There must be a t least 40 trees out in the paddock garden plus 20 blue gums around that area. Then there is the orchard area with plums, nectarines, peach, apples, an d a host of natives. The awful gums with the big spiky nuts are along the front road fence .
Someone , sometime is going to probably buy the place when I'm gone and flatten the lot, unless they are mad keen gardeners like me.
Doesnt stop me planting things though. I just love to see things grow.
Oh, I forgot the ever growing brug forest. lol.
I'm with you on the dog . Our neighbor has a dog that thinks it owns the road and the daughter visits with her scatterbrained dogs so when they get together , one has to watch out. A neighbor down the road was bitten and I said to hubby, with me it would be one bite , dead dog.
Much as I love animals, a dog that has bitten once cannot be trusted. I have had experience a few times with biting dogs.
A well loved and well trained dog will not be a danger to people.
Just a pity that so many otherwise lovely dogs are ruined by careless owners.
Better get off the soapbox too, Dianne.
But it is one of my pet hates about owners and dogs. ( they both need training)
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 4, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8737937

Well. girls I have had a word to the new people. It didn't go very well. The dog was out the front unleashed. Also clowns doing wheelies in the street so I went over and had a word or two or three. lol I got politely to mind my own F... business you old bag. So I rang the police and told them what was going on. I bet they will be sitting in our back lane tonight. They're in for a shock aren't they? Better go and get the boys. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 4, 2011
11:51 PM

Post #8737995

Please be careful Colleen. I know we all like to think we are safe in out neighborhood but there are people who just dont care and will retaliate in bad ways.
I am like you and have, at times, had a word with neighbors, about things that impact on my space, but these days , you dont know who that "nice person", so harmless looking, is.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 5, 2011
12:39 AM

Post #8738052

Sounds like a rental, Colleen...don't have anymore to do with them...remember they can be gone tomorrow...you're there to stay...
Jean is right about the retaliation, ignore them...let's hope the police have a word in their ear.
Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 5, 2011
1:50 AM

Post #8738077

Sounds like the 'turkeys' that lived next to us ,Colleen,.,.made our life 'hell',.,.but sit back and dont say a word to them,.,.get a good neighborhood watch going,and keep an eye on them and all of your own intrests,.,.they'll be gone soon,.,.but please be careful

This message was edited Aug 5, 2011 3:55 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8738532

Some folks are so crazy anymore,so no wonder their animals have no manners. You please do be most careful, lest they try to hurt you. People can be mean.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

August 5, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8738973

It does sound like a rental, Colleen, and now that you've informed the police, if you have any more problems with them, the real estate agent will take some notice if you contact them. Once when we had a problem neighbour we were told by the agent that because we hadn't been in touch with the police there was not a lot they could do. It turned out that the flat that had parties a couple of nights a week that went until 5am was rented by one of their young salesmen. He never had another party! lol

Jean, if your gums are too densely planted around the boundary, would selecting a few unwanted ones for firewood be an option? It's been a while since I was reading about growing firewood, but I seem to recall that it takes only about 4 years for the copice regrowth to be ready for cutting again ... maybe just something to think about if you're currently buying firewood or whatever. The same article mentioned that growing your own firewood in this fashion makes the burning of it carbon -neutral.

I think our really cool days have been and gone. In the past few years, after about the first week in August it has tended to warm up, but the majority of the days have been tshirt weather for quite a while. It's the month when quite a few fogs tend to happen in SE Qld, and I've learned not to plan to travel by plane during this month as the roads can be quite treacherous because of it. Last year in our area there was a report of a 3 truck and 6 car pile up in the fog. No one seriously hurt, thankfully.

Have a great day all. Josh has crawled in for his daily fix of Wiggles, be back later
Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 5, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8739014

Good morning everyone. Still quite dark outside , with lots of cloud. Yesterday was wet at first then turned out not so bad after lunch.
I finished getting all the old bits & pieces from the old s/house so can now think about moving the orchids in.
Hello Pam. Our blue gums are not too closely planted but as we dont burn wood any more , its no use using them for wood. I have been told they are not very good firewood anyway.
We are beyond the age where we would attempt to cut trees down too. Its far too expensive to have them done , so they will stay as they are.
all the other trees are quite good as they make a lovely shady place to stroll around . I have a few paths that wind around them and seats to relax. Once the nasturtiums regrow again . its like a green carpet.

Anthony, a few more little heads poking up in the lilium pots. I see that they are a couple of the asiatics still coming up in the old bed. I really thought I had moved them all. Oh well , just more pretties to look at.

Colleen, lots of good advice for you there about those neighbors. I really do hope they are only rentals. . I know its a sad change from when we were young and could roam around everywhere in safety.

Hello Chrissy, Karen, Elaine, Teresa and Dianne. I hope all is well for you and the aches are easing off.

Charleen, What other pretty things have you done for your garden ?

Hello Louise, pats for those dear girls. Hope all is looking great in your garden too.

Hubby just came in to tell me its raining. There go my plans for the day, unless it eases off like yesterday.

I am off to the kitchen to see what I can leave out for you all.
Here we are, tasty Lemon Bars.
Have great weekend. Seems like the weekends come around a lot quicker than they used to.
Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 5, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8739088

Those weekends do come around faster now, Jean...unfortunately...
Though for those still working, they can't come fast enough...hey Anthony...lol

We are going to book our tickets for the trip to the ABC garden expo in September, this morning...I thought that it was in October...getting forgetful too, I notice.

Geelong was featured in Collectors on the ABC last night...they filmed it back in April..when the sun was SHINING...not grey like today...can't distinguish the sea from the You Yangs..both grey...

Hope the sun is shining where you all are..
Back later.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 5, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8739114

Good morning everyone. Thanks all for your concern. Very quiet here in the street and there hasn't been any screeching of tyres. Maybe it's best to nip it in the bud instead of just complaining to each other. Time will tell. Yesterday I took a huge stick with me when I went to take the boys to school and get them as I always take Benny for a walk on his lead at that time. I thought that if the dog got out at least I'd be able to belt it away from Benny. Anyway lets talk about something else. It's a beautiful morning here, sunny and not too cold. It's supposed to be raining and down to 15C for the weekend. Just as well I don't take too much notice of the forecast. The boys are excited. They go on their Cub camp next weekend. I'll take them there at 4.30pm Friday and pick them up Sunday. Whoo hoo another break. I could get very used to this. Well lots to do still. I planted all my BGI seeds last night. There were a lot of duds in them this time. Just as well I soaked them and checked. 2 lots I only got 5 seeds out of 10. Still that's more than enough to look after when they grow. Everyone have a wonderful day and I'll be back later. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 5, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8739202

yes Dianne-love the weekends!!,but b4 you know it,its monday again!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8739377

Didn't you love the glass collection in the Collectors ? I am a sucker for coloured glass, though these days I have packed away a lot of my "dust collectors" as my brother calls them just because I can't keep up with all the cleaning, but the Crystal stays where it is because I must have some pretties left to love, as specially now I can't get outside to love my living pretties as much as I would like. Wow 20 whole minutes this morning sigh- oh well ! visitors on the way !

neighbours ? well I won't go down that path, but suffice to say beware there are dangerous and deranged people out there, best to avoid them at all costs if they aren't friendly. Treasure the ones that are.
Enjoy your Saturday everyone ...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8739808

I have that ball finish and thought of Elaine when I was doing it. I put a signature gem in it. With my name and year..

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 6, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8740685

Good morning everyone.
A dull morning outside, but I am hopeful it will improve as the last few days have.
Cold at first will a shower or two then mainly fine all day.
I finished getting all the bits and pieces out of the shadehouse and hung up all the baskets under the old tank stand.
I want to move all the orchids in but will wait for a while as they are starting to open their flowers. There will be a bit more room for them now so hopefully this will encourage more flowers next year.
I am very annoyed and unhappy as the b*** neighbors unwanted cat, killed a bird and brought it near our back door.
I had never seen the type of bird before and neither had hubby. On checking the large bird book I always refer too, found it was a Buff-banded Rail.
Such a beautifully marked bird .
Something really has to be done with that cat, as it is killing everything. It is always bringing in the native swamp rats and other birds. Usually 2 or 3 daily
It also gets all the little birds that nest low down in the shrubbery.
I know cats kill birds, but this one seems to do it just for pleasure as they are rarely eaten.
We used to have so many blue wrens and other small birds here before, even with the odd feral cat around the district.
This cat seems determined to wipe out all bird life if it can. Better get off the subject is it makes me so mad. Dont get me wrong, I like cats and have had lots of them over the years. I have never had this sort of problem though. Yes , the odd bird killed , but nothing like this monster.

Hello Colleen. Good luck with your seeds. I am watching mine to see those first little green babies pop up.

Hello Chrissy. I am going to tackle some of your triffid creeper today. It is trying to get up the clothesline.
One good thing is that it is easily controlled by chopping the ends.
Lots of succulents are going to get a fright too when I give them a haircut.

Hello Dianne. love your hellebore. I have a late one just shooting. Its a black or slate that I got over in Mt Gambier a few years ago. Very pretty.
I was watching the bees yesterday, all around the hellebores. There are so many babies coming up and with the bees playing, lots more to come.

Hello Anthony, Pam, Karen, Teresa, Charleen and Louise.
Elaine, I hope you are taking things easy too.

Better move and see what I can get done outside.
Have some of this Pineapple Cake with your morning cuppa.
Happy day, stay safe.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 6, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8741123

Strange weather today, started nice, no frost & sunny.
Went to dog training without my coat & even had Copper working without his.
And then just on 11am when the new 6 weeks course was due to start the wind picked up, the sky clouded over & we were hit with rain & hail.

We had enough people enrolled to make up two classes & while my group were very bravely trying to work their dogs the other class weren't interested so the instructor sent them home & as she is our head instructor came & asked if we wanted to do the same.

No surprise the class voted to go, after they left the rain stopped... but the wind was bitterly cold so I think they made the right choice.

Baz & I went out last night, his work social club had their mid winter dinner.
They had a raffle & I won a bottle of wine, Baz won a $25.00 Liquorland voucher.
The meals were lovely, had bacon wrapped gurnard on potato gratin & a yummy salad for my main & a warm chocolate brownie with ice cream & cream for dessert.

Then we watched the All Black's beat the Wallabies at rugby...

all in all a great night!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 6, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8741136

Ok, I'm back on the soapbox..
This time it's the census forms...
The person delivering the form said to leave it under the mat, because they had no idea when they would be back...though she assured me it would be within 3 days...

I am all in favour of the census but I just looked at what we have to tell them...

No way am I leaving this information under my front door mat...they must be nuts...
For a start, I assumed there would be an envelope in with the form...no envelope..
So any of the people picking up the forms can flick to your financials without opening an envelope..

You have to ask for a privacy envelope...you're probably like me and expected the envelope to be there, so you could seal it..
Too easy...you have to request one, when they pick it up or deliver it.

I am doing our's online...I had to phone to get an eCensus number..which only took a minute...
They contact the collector, so they don't come back to get the form...I bet they do though..lol
Also you can fill it out early and save the info until the day after, just in case someone unexpected arrives.
Dianne.

Just read your post, Teresa...glad you enjoyed your night...maybe next time at Eden park...though it has been a long time...enjoyed the Haka though.
Here's another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GpTsPNwwms&feature=fvwrel

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 6, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8741229

Hello Dianne. What a contrast in census collectors. Our collector gave all the info without being asked and asked if we wanted to do it online or wanted an envelope. She said we were not to leave it on the table on the back veranda ( which I offered to do ) She would come back 3 times as that is what they are supposed to do.
Makes a difference living in the country sometimes.
I do imagine all the collectors are not like yours though.
I would not like the job of delivering and collecting in the cities with all the weird people we seem to have about. .

Teresa, congrats to Bazz on the win. Sounds like you enjoyed the night out.
Rain again here now after a day of changes. A few showers and some sun. Starting to get colder now the night air is coming down.
Time for the heater.
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 7, 2011
12:37 AM

Post #8741282

Dianne,i think you should report that collecter.My census girl[even though she was a cute little spring chicken],made it quite clear,that it was not acceptable to leave it out,for any reason.,.,.i havnt even looked at it yet!!-been busy,organising the daffodil show,..,Today i perched a huge daffodil[which i had been constructing over the weekend] on the highway fence[with a sign] outside work.,.,i hope to get a photo soon,.,.its very eye 'catchy'.,.,its piecing down with rain here,and it is cold again,so for me,its inside,fill the fridge,choke the fire and see what 'lily stuff' is for sale,.,.i made a big purchase of seed from 'hardyplants' this morning[obsession]-someones gotta do it!!!..,back to glorious 'wet' work tomorrow--goodnight all,anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 7, 2011
12:54 AM

Post #8741286

Hi everyone I have just turned the puter back on after a big hail storm (hail stones only about 1/2 inch but plentiful) , loud thunder, big wind now cold again. The sun was lovely while it lasted these last few days but it's back to the cold right now.
Dianne the census people can leave a form somewhere but they are supposed to pick up the form in person.
Did you hear about one female census person just driving straight through locked farm gates ?,luckily most are very nice.

Congrats Theresa it's always nice to win something and then a pleasant night out to follow, good for you.

Jean that triffid creeper flowers full of little bright yellow daisy flowers, but it also covers meters of fencing given half the chance.
sorry hubby must have heard me in the dining room and has come in for dinner ...back later

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 7, 2011
1:20 AM

Post #8741289

That decorated bowling ball looks interesting Charleen, my brothers are or were tilers, so I have picked up tips on the grouting and sealing stuff, I would love to have a go at mosaic stuff one of these days, I never seem to have much time to myself in order to start a new hobby besides my Brugs, there was a time I painted and decorated clay pots and planters, but it's been a while, yours looks good ! I love coloured glass anythings.

Yes I can see your Giant daffy in my mind Anthony, we have a giant strawberry down the road and everyone knows they sell strawberries in fact it's quite famous. Stay warm,it's once again cold and wet (and holey thanks to the Hail) brrrr
waving to everyone else.
looking forward to Masterchef final tonight ^_^

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8742461

Thank you Dear. I have to keep myself motivated to keep busy...
We've already had our census...
gardengal
se qld
Australia

August 7, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8742470

It will be online for us too for the census. My daughter has absolutely no idea where she was living 5 years ago (and she was moving around so much at that stage that I'd have absolutely no hope of hazzarding a guess) so I guess we'll have some fun getting it to lodge without some of the information entered.

Dianne, the others are right. Your census collector is being paid quite a considerable amount based on the supposed fact that she can provide very good security for your documents, so there is absolutely no way that she is supposed to be telling you to leave it under the mat.

I don't remember being asked for quite so much detailed personal info in the past - am I just getting forgetful, or is it more involved than it has been in the past?

We're off to here next weekend, can't wait!
http://www.myallparkbotanicgarden.org.au/

I was doing a bit of random checking a few weeks ago just to see where it was (middle of nowhere) and hubby totally blew me away the next day by suggesting that we could go there during his upcoming week off. He usually has to be dragged kicking and screaming to anything vaguely garden related so it makes the offer a seriously awesome gesture on his behalf.

I have my suspicions that having bought him a tiger moth flight via one of the daily deals sites might have had something to do with his feeling of generosity, but it's totally irrelevant. Now to brush up on my photography skills - I tend to like to point and shoot and end up with the world's best photos ... it doesn't work. lol

I bought a couple of bowling balls some time ago with the intention of mosaic'ing them, but never got around to it. One of them cracked from the heat during summer, so I'm glad I hadn't gone to the effort with that one anyway.

Well have a great day all

Pam

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8742623

Good morning. Has been warmer here, like Spring, but they say there is more cold to come. Darn, I was enjoying this in between weather, its lovely.

Great to read all the latest. Jean, I have a cat hanging around here like that one you described. So far, about 20 pigeons, lorikeets, and a love bird that must have been an escaped pet. I turn the hose on its hiding place whenever I walk past, and it does flush it out, but its so sneaky and knows now to come in when I'm not around. I don't know who owns it, but I wish they were more responsible.

Not much doing here. Waiting for the Spring arrivals at the nurseries. The deciduous trees here look dead and only the weeds are growing well. But that will soon change with the warmer weather. I have quite a few deciduous trees around the place as they let in some sunlight in winter, but keep the yard cooler and shady in summer.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. I am fighting wattle effects here.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 7, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8742691

Good morning everyone. Our weather is topsy turvy too. Again with the rain and sun. I go out to do something in the sun and get rained on. By the time one goes back inside, out comes the sun.
Hubby says someone is watching me upstairs and having fun wetting me when I go out.
He may be right.
Nothing much done yesterday for that reason. A bit hard to cut things back when they are wet. I am finding a few things coming up that I forgot I had. There is a blue hyacinth out there in flower. I did buy a couple years ago. They are a lovely thing when newly planted but dont do much after that. I must have stuck this one in the garden when finished. There are a couple of tulips out there that I also stuck in the ground after they only flowered well once in a pot. They come up each year now and flower better than they ever did.

Hello Chrissy. That triffid creeper flowered this year for the first time , very pretty. I will keep it contained from now on though.

Anthony, I do like the sound of your giant daffy. Will go next to the giant lilium ? Good luck with the show. Buying more seeds?? Definitely a lilium addict.

Hello Pam. Sounds like a great trip to those gardens. The flower pics are so lovely. Must get along to the arboretum near us one day again.
Sadly , it does get a bit overgrown and lots of the smaller plants have died out. Its mainly for the native trees though. Nice to visit in dry weather as it can be a long walk around .

Hello Karen. My decidous trees are all getting that green tinge now. Blossom coming out on the fruit trees too . Lucky I dont get affected much by the wattle as we have a few cootamundras , Qld silver wattles, golden wattles and a couple of others. I love the yellows. I like to see each one coming out in turn so there is lovely bright color for quite awhile..

Hello Charleen. What else do you have around your garden ? I love bits and pieces stuck here and there.
I must get out and move my birds as the plants are growing over them. Must get pics of them too.
Nearly time for a new paint job on the poor things.

Hello everyone else... Colleen, Teresa, Louise and Elaine.

Better put out something tasty for you all. Chocolate Almond Torte.
I hope you all enjoyed your weekend.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2011

Post #8742799

Morning all...freezing here,Jean...no rain though.

Anthony, when I rang and asked for my eCensus number, I told them that I would not be leaving my census form where anyone could take it...he certainly didn't sound surprised...I had to give my census number so they have the details if they want to take action...
So nice to hear that the Daffodil show is coming up again...it doesn't seem like a year ago, when your little grandaughter was in the paper...
How is she by the way?

Here is Green and Gold from the back...love the green..

Back later.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8742814

this was a repeat of above...lol

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 9:57 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8742836

Yes, show us your birds. I CRC and I don't want to show you something you already seen but I love to show my doo-dads off...

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 7, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8743006

Dianne, Rod was saying,every one of those daffs are different,..,i struggled last year to get a matching 7 to enter,.,..,2-1/2 hrs work,and now im home..[just too wet],.,.Molly is good,starting to string together sentences,.,.''Poppy and Cocky'' when she sees me,im usually putting cocky to bed,.I better go and plant some seeds
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 7, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8743020

No pics today of my birds. As soon as I thought about going outside, down came the rain and it hasnt stopped. Hubby says hes going to lock me in the shed if I get too frustrated at not getting outside soon.
Maybe I'll just cruise the plant sites. Hmmmm. shouldnt do that as I dont have finances at the moment to buy ..
Oh well, I can look. I just wont buy... do you believe that ...LOL
Jean.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8743037

Hello everyone! Just a quick check to see how you are all doing. I found the census discussion very interesting. It seems that the questions asked here were far more intrusive than in years past. We had to fill out the form in Fla. where we are residents, and then another one popped up here with all kinds of arm-twisting about how we legally had to fill it out here also. I followed the language literally and refused to fill it out, as it seemed fraudulent to do so in two locations. They kept hounding us to do it, and finally we got a call. Suffice it to say that I convinced them to stop bothering us as I refused to give two states the benefit of counting us in for their funding. No more calls, but I did get an apology. :)

We are in the revolving door of guests leaving/wash the sheets and towels/ and set up for the next round on Tuesday. Our Colorado grandkids and their parents will be here for two weeks. Lots of fun kid time.
Hope you are all having as much fun!

Here is our stone mushroom, waiting for some critters to land on it. Hank made it from a stone in the woods. :)
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 7, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8743122

Love the mushroom Louise. Hank is a clever man.
Enjoy your visitors, I'm sure the girls will. All that patting from everyone will go to their heads. lol
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 7, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8743312

Hi Loise the census here just requires you to say where you are sleeping on that night, so if you are a guest somewhere that is just counting you really.Last time around I moved the night before to take my sister in law to a villa (set up for her medical needs, she could not walk). I had fun filling that out as I still lived here but needed to be somewhere else for a few months.
I guess it's the only way to count everyone and get a rough idea of how many people live where.
Even the homeless get one, I have always wondered what they put on their forms. (so sad).

I still think fairies live in mushrooms ^_^ love your little setting there, and Charleen ...lovely garden bling in your garden, now where has Elaine gone ?.

I think we will get another Frost or two yet ...we bounced from 26C down to 3C after the hail ushered in the cold change.
The sun is out now but there is not much warmth in it. Not too much damage from the hail just enough to trash some blooms and buds .
Better go do something I lose half a day when we have the nurse in and there is always lots to do after the weekend, enjoy your day everyone.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8743727

Vicious guard dog. Lets the dogs out and it is warm already, didn't cool down too much and it is to be in mid 90's. So another hot day. Would like to swap a little cool from you for somw of our warmth here. have a great day everyone...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 8, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8744950

Good morning everyone. Looks like our weather has settled into a pattern of cold wet mornings followed by sunny afternoons.
I did a bit of pruning yesterday . The cotinus is no longer a very tall lot of waving bare branches. Hopefully this year now, it will put out lots more growth from the cut bits.
I planted out a few cuttings from the Iochromas which also got a drastic haircut.
I will be interested to see if they grow as I just stuck them in the ground.

Hello Charleen. That 'big savage guard dog' looks like he would rip the throat out of any trespassers. LOL..
I can send you any amount of cold in exchange for some warm. If I could load it on the carpet, I would.

Chrissy, you are certainly getting more than your share of hail there.
The plants will come back later when the summer arrives.
Try and have a bit of relaxing garden time for yourself there too. Your family needs you fit and well.

Hello Dianne, Pam, Karen, Teresa, Elaine, Anthony and Colleen.
Louise, I hope your visitors are having a good time. I bet the girls are .
Have they put on their best 'southern belle' manners ?

I had better see what is available for nibbles before I start thinking of what I will do today.
Something different , Chocolate Mint Brownies.
Have a great day. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 8, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8744998

Brrr it's very cold right now ...yep I don't know why the hail is picking on our area,but it was nowhere near as bad as the big one in Summer, hope it will leave us alone for a while now.
Our weather has settled into a similar pattern, it will rain every day for about a week they say, oh well that will keep the frost away, it is warmer than yesterday 4C right now (just past 8 in the morning here).

I will be starting some veggie seeds in doors in the next few days, last year the Spring was a shocker, no Sun and grey skiesand much cooler for much longer than usual, hopefully things will get back to more normal temps this year.

Charleen can I borrow your tractor?
Ours was destroyed in the Christmas Day fires of 2001 and we haven't been able to replace it. I sure do miss it !
I had an acre of mixed pumpkins and zucchinis the last time we used it. The fires got them too.

Jean I am not chopping anything that is out in the Frost area as we could still get one yet and the leaves protect the rest of the plants. about a fortnight into Sept is the safe time to chop those here in this area.
This year I note our temps have often been cooler than yours, very strange.
Well I had better get on with the day ...I hope everyone enjoys their morning/day/night whichever ^_^
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 8, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8745035

Good morning everyone. I have been busy with the boys. They had a student free day yesterday and we have to get ready for their Cub camp next weekend. I'm getting a new chook house soon and am going to get the back fence fixed as well. I'm thinking seriously about getting the pine trees lopped too but the Bronze winged pidgeons and Willy-wagtails and Murray magpies all nest in there and the Sulphur crested cockatoos land in there and eat the pine cones. I haven't made up my mind on that one yet. My census lady told me to just put the form under the front mat too. It doesn't really bother me if anyone looks at it as all that info is out there anyway. I just feel that I have nothing to hide and if someone does go around looking at people's particulars then they're a bit sick aren't they? I wonder if Elaine has found a house yet. Well must go and get the boys ready for school. I hope everyone is feeling well. It looks as though it is going to be a lovely day. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 8, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8745162

Glad that you are having a sunny day, Colleen...I don't think that we will see much sun today though.
My feet are freezing, it will be a sock day for sure...

Hope that the weather cools soon for our US friends and they get some good rains.
All that trouble in London...what is the answer to that?
What punishment do you give little kids?
You can't make them help clean up the mess, then Health and Safety would be on the case..
So they all go unpunished, I suppose.

I'm going out into the cold garden, just the thought of the destruction is making me hot under the collar.
Back later...I will peek at my seed trays and see if there is any growth..that takes my mind off these problems.
Dianne.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8745209

We have an old Farm all, needs new tires but you can use it. Gas line need repair. He sold the Ford
I believe that is why Children don't know Right from wrong. Government pokin their noses in and then if they do a mass murder it's all your fault for not making them mind.
Latest clay creation...

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 9, 2011
1:00 AM

Post #8745935

Hello everyone!

Beautiful day here at Buderim today.

Louise ...love your mushroom. Hank did a great job.

My Michelia 'Coco' is starting to bloom. I love this plant. The flowers have a fruity banana fragrance...especially in the evening.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 9, 2011
1:01 AM

Post #8745936

...oooppppsss forgot picture

Thumbnail by Marleneann

gardengal
se qld
Australia

August 9, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8745942

Yay, census is done, and out of the way

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

August 9, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8745988

Pam ...the census questions were not as bad as I thought they might be. Easy peasy.

I cannot understand why the government will not have the results until next June. Do they know about computers????

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 9, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8746012

Census done whew !

Not too bad. Lol since when did Governments do anything quickly ...
Love Coco ...
I find it difficult to be happy today as we gaze across the pond ...
What can anyone say,
So goodnight everyone ...let's hope tomorrow will be better and the World will be more sane.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8746516

Wish you could smell this Plumeria, Luscious scent to it along with the pretty blooms...

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 9, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8747001

A very good morning to all , after a wasted month I am staying here just wanted to move before it was time for the big gum tree next door started to drop all its leaves and rubbish on my roof and yards.
A bigger yard and bigger shed would have been nice but my little house is just right for me so here to stay yesterday the people on the other side of me told me they are thinking they might be selling up in Dec . so I might be able to get thate one for my gradson and fence half of the yard for my use .

Charleen love your latest clay creation looks just like my dog Rocky .
Every one have a great day -----elaine.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 9, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8747032

Tea Room open for business, kettle is on and cups are out...just waiting for Jean to bring the milk.

Morning everyone, census is over for another few years...don't forget to send it if you saved it online.

Great to hear that people are getting together in London, connected by Twitter, to clean up the streets.
Nice to see the communities reacting in a positive way.

Charleen, that is very creative, you will have people wanting you to do their dogs...gorgeous Frangipani.
Sorry, I can't get used to Plumeria... Frangipani sounds more romantic..lol

Louise, I would like that mushroom too, Hank is very clever...
Elaine, that sounds ideal for you..good luck.

Marlene, love all the Michelias, I have 2 just about to flower...
Here is a pic of those wonderful residents of London, showing that they are united in their determination to clean up the damage.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8747083

Here's another Frangipani pic then... Is it normal for the blooms to fall from the plant after blooming??? i found 2 blooms on the ground. They still smell great too.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 9, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8747095

Good morning everyone.
We are all set for more rain for a few days. The ground is so saturated now, it is squeezing up and running out over every little bump in the ground. My old drain that runs out int he paddock from the laundry and kitchen has not run for a long time due to the very dry ground sucking up any moisture it could get. Now , its running out again. The plants out there will get a shock, seeing the extra water again after a few years.
I did go outside yesterday just to look around. Too wet to do anything else.
My cymbid flowers are nearly open.
The brugs are climbing to the sky and bulbs are everywhere. I found a pot of scilla that I had totally forgotten. Hope it flowers.
Lots of buds coming on the epis too.

Hello Dianne. Thanks for opening the doors . I dont bother getting up until 7am at the moment. I have always been an early riser, but what do I do at that time when its only just getting light ?
I'll be earlier as the sun rises earlier.

Hello Charleen. I do like your little dog sculpture. Very like the subject.

Hello Elaine. It does sound sensible to stay where you are happy and settled with your garden.. Pity about the large tree though.
I think councils should assist with large tree removals when they are dangerous. It is usually way too expensive for people to have a tree lopper in .

Hello Chrissy, Marlene and Pam.
Yes census done . I have no idea why people are so uptight about the questions. Nothing in there that isnt already known by many agencies.

Hello Louise. I hope the weather is behaving for all your visitors. Pats for the girls.

Hello Anthony, Karen and Colleen. Colleen, lots of shoots on the little cacti. They should enjoy a bit of sun when we eventually see it.

I make no comment on the problems across the sea except to say , I am sometimes ashamed to be human. It all seems to be totally orchestrated by those with agendas .

Have a happy day everyone and stay safe.
I will leave this German Chocolate Cake for you all to enjoy with a cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 9, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8747131

Good morning everyone. By the look of the sky down your way Jean you're in for a pretty rough day. It's as black as the ace of spades out that way. Overcast here too but not too cold. I got a fair bit of the SH done yesterday. 3 more brugs have come out and some more today. I think that I will plant my hippys out too. That will free up more space for all the baby brugs coming along. You're not going to believe this, I didn't. I have 3 Daturas about 4" high with a bud on each. I think that they are purple and white. I wonder if they will come out. Elaine I'm glad that you don't have to pack up and move. It's a very big job moving, so it would make more sense to have your G/son move instead. Hope you're keeping well. I have some more broms to pot up this morning. It's never ending isn't it? Us gardeners are busy people aren't we? Must go and get the boys ready. be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 9, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8747215

Yes, Charleen...they do drop...but even when they do they are still so lovely..

Jean, I am glad that your Cymbids are behaving for you now...post a pic when they flower...

Got a letter from Broersens, they have sold out of the Aconitums...boo hoo.
Oh well there is always next year...

Colleen, you clever girl...you might become Queen of the Daturas...fingers crossed that they don't drop.

Here's Tilly with her favourite toy...it goes everywhere with her, even for a pee...it's a Kong.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8747347

So cute. She is precious. that is her Security blanket. sorta...

Aren't they pitiful?????

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

August 9, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8747495

Try again just lost my post -- Its a nice day here to day to play out side this screen I picked up at Reject shop for 15 dollars I have a hung a few more pots of Hoya cuttings on it.
The grandson is 23 about time he learned to live on his own but near enought to do my lawn and the odd lifting job for me .
Now I have had my rest better go find more to do out side.----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 9, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8747513

Charleen, they are just looking for cookies, the dear things. Dont you just want to hug them ?

Elaine, I remember having a frame like that here somewhere. I must go look. It is probably hidden in some overgrown plant.

Dianne, I love Tillys security "blanket" ( toy).

The sun came out so I went down the back and removed the largest piece of shadecloth from the brugs. They can now grow as tall as they like.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 9, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8747622

Those big babies are very spoilt, Charleen...you can see by their faces.

Elaine, nice screen...looks great.
Jean, I keep forgetting to ask you...what berries do you have?

Anthony, have you heard anything from Grapus yet?
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 9, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8747663

Charleen you just scatter the blooms around the place to scent a room. Your little cuties are adorable.

Jean I see those frogs drew you in over BGI just too cute aren't they ? lovely that you are having rain.

Elaine I love your screen but what drew my attention was the face on the front ...where did you get it?
Good news you aren't moving because it is second to a divorce on the stress meter of taking ten years off your life they reckon.
Great if your Grandson can move close.

Have a great time with your visitors Loise ...

Yes Colleen gardeners are always busy ...Spring seems to suddenly rush in after the cold (very cold this morning here),
The sun is up, the nurse has gone (so is half the day ). Time to feed the troops and if I am lucky some me time outside if the Sun stays around.

Dianne much appreciated the cuppa ...^_^ ...wonderful shot of the English taking back some of the streets, our minds and feelings lurch from one disaster or tragedy to another it's almost mind numbing except for the almost constant anxiety . Only 4 more months to go until 1012 ...please let be better than 2011.
There is far more good than bad in the World, sometimes it is hard to remember that.

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone out there in garden land.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 9, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8747854

Dianne, I think my berries are loganberries or similar. I had all the bits given to me so havent a clue, but they taste yummy. They start red then ripen to really dark red/black about the size of blackberries
I now have the thornless blackberry and there is a different berry plant growing over further that hasnt flowered or fruited yet . It has a bigger leaf.
Just finished removing the last of the shadecloth from the brugs so they are all free now.
I suppose they will now take the opportunity to grow so high, I wont be able to reach the flowers.
Found a couple more liliums poking heads up.
Back outside while the sun is out.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 9, 2011
10:42 PM

Post #8747989

You've got sun, Jean...it hasn't stopped raining here...and it's cold.
I had a Blueberry bush at the last house... this year there were so many types of berry plants to choose from, at the nursery..some I hadn't heard of...I didn't buy one but I was tempted.
It would have had to battle with the Wisteria..

Good berry eating weather, preferably in a pie with whipped cream...
I think that I will turn the heating up...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 9, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8748009

Dont like fresh blueberries. They need to be in muffins. yumm
I must get some raspberries though. Very nice straight off the vines.
The birds seemed to leave the berries alone last season. Maybe because scarecrow Michael is standing there.
Poo Michael. I must get him a new hat and jumper for summer.
I may make him a girlfriend and put a seat out there for them.
Getting colder now but the sun did stay out most of the afternoon.
Lots of alstromerias out. These red/orange ones seem to flower most of the year. The white are coming out but the purple , yellow and pink are later
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 10, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8749199

Good morning everyone. Very quiet in here this morning. I bet you are all out enjoying the sun. lol..
I have sun here. I dont know for how long , but its here. What a pity I wont be out working in the garden though.
Never mind , it will be a good day anyway as hubby is taking me to Hamilton for lunch. He needs a few bits & pieces for his shed so we are taking the whole day. I will definitely look for a plant to bring home.
I hope the sun shines for you all today.
Take care and enjoy the day.
Have some yummy Fruit Cake for morning tea.
See you all later when I get back with a plant.
Happy day. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 10, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8749315

Lots to catch up here. Hello Jean, and everyone. Have had a bit of family drama to tend to so have been focused elsewhere lately. So good to see the pics and read the latest from everyone. I found census almost too easy online and took very little time. I hope they do use it for people, and not against them.

My epis are starting to bud up too. I can't wait to see what flowers this year, as most of mine have never flowered. Stern von Erlau is in bud again, and I am very impressed with the performance of this plant. Pink Snowflake has had buds before, but they all dropped off and not a single flower. I sure hope I get to see some this year.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.
Karen

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 10, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8749352

another sunny day here, prediction is for it to be nasty at the weekend... grr
I had some great news yesterday - I got the job I interviewed for in town.
It will be completely different to working the bar.
I am going to be working in retail, 9-5, mon-fri.
The shop will sell Merino & merino blend fabrics along with merino garments & a range of jeans along with Drizabone apparel.
I am excited about the new challenge & a bit nervous...
it was hard handing in my resignation at the RSA but I have said that if they are short staffed I will be happy to help if I can.
And as a member there I will be popping in for drinks with my parents after work - my bus goes right by the RSA - I used to stop in on my way home when I had a job in town years ago.
It will be interesting catching the bus to the new job, before the earthquakes the bus that runs down my street used to go right through town & past the street where I will be working.
Now the buses stop on the outskirts of town & there is a free shuttle past the red zone to the other side where you then catch the connecting bus.
I don't know how long that will go on, once town is safe again I am sure they will try to go back to the old routes.
My dog will be the only one not happy - he enjoys me being on night shift week as he keeps me company & we walk at a more civilised time of day - when the frosts have gone from the footpath.
Mind you summer is nearly here & walking at 7am will be a pleasure then.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8749406

Congratulations Teresa. I bet Copper won't be the only one needing to adjust...GRIN Best wishes to you on the new job.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 10, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8749481

Karen I hope all is well.

Teresa congratulations :) that is great news ! (so good to have some happy news ). Turn the page huh?

Have fun Jean ...looking forward to the epie parade to come. I would love to know how you go with the thornless raspberries, I read somewhere they still have thorns, I would love to grow some but we already have triffid blackberries 5 acres down on the fence line coming in from next door, I love them but so do the snakes (as a nice hide away ) I get nervous trying to pick them because you need to watch out for the thorns and you may miss a snake while concentrating.
I tried Loganberries once and they were delicious, lost them in the fires but did not replace them due to the thorn issues (grandchildren running around too and red bellied blacks liked them too ) So I am very interested to see how you go with them.
Do they need another plant to produce fruit ?
it's very cool here the sun is out but there is no real warmth yet, fingers are starting to itch to get into planting though sitting on my hands because of a still possible frost.

Moon how is your weather ?

How far away is the Autumn coolness for you Charleen and Loise ?

I hope everyone is out there enjoying the day ...have a good one.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2011 12:04 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8749603

Hi Chrissy. the weather here is miserable... Our actual temperatures have been ranging from 33 to 35 C, but with the humidity, the heat index (what it feels like to the human body) has been ranging from 41 to 48C...hot enough to shirr eggs...grin. Doesn't look like it is going to cool down any time soon. gardening consists of going out at daybreak to try to contain the weeds and water whatever still looks a bit wilted. The dogs are delighted with the weather...it means they get to spend the days inside all day. Somehow the cats do not see the humor in that...grin It will be the middle of October before we start having truly cool weather.

Summer break is over and the kids are all back in school. Fortunately all the schools here have air conditioning. They won't have another break until the last week of November for American Thanksgiving holiday. This is my grandson's final year of high school. he was not excited about being back in school, but terribly excited about it being his senior year. Now we start prepping for university.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 10, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8749751

I'm back, and without a plant. Well, just a teensy one. A poor half dead liriope ? I think.
I bought a bag of mix for my bonsais as its time for their two year repot and trim.
The sun has been out all morning and it is warm enough out there now that I have been doing a bit of work without my jumper.
I am in the middle of moving the orchids so am having a break for a cuppa.

Moon, lovely to see you again. I like warm but not as warm as you are getting there.

Teresa, congrats on the new job. You will notice a difference for a while until you get into your rhythm.
Copper will adjust. I'm sure hes just glad to see you any time of day.

Chrissy, I'm no expert on berries but as I have several plants of the same sort I have no idea if they self pollinate or not.
Have to get their fence up before they start to grow again. I will have lots of plants to pull out once they grow as the very long branches were rooting where ever they touched the soil.

Back to work. I may get hubby to help me move the old microwaves I use as stands for the orchid shelves. hubby uses bits from the microwaves in his hobby, so I thought I may as well make use of the cabinets
Just a good height for the plants.
catch up later.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8749810

Teresa, big congrats on your new job..hope that you are happy there.

Jean/moon, how many dogs and cats do you have?

Hey Karen, hope everything is back to normal in your household...and you are back in the garden.

Jean, that husband of yours is certainly handy for you..all those useful cabinets.

As well as a Sanguinea, I bought a Trachelospermum asiaticum tricolor...what a mouthful...
It's a pretty "little" I hope, climber...a Jasmine with varigated leaves and the new growth is pink.
Compact and slow growing...they say.
Dianne.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8749814

So much for slow growing and compact...this article says 4mt x 4mt...why do I weaken, when I see a pretty leaf or flower?...I know what Trachelospermums are like...oh well.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 11, 2011
12:50 AM

Post #8749846

well,i was presented with a K&D warehouse catalogue today,which advertised 'orientals x 2' for 6.95...so i thought''you dont know if you dont look''!-cutting it short,-i walked away with 4 'asiatic hybrids'-'lanzarote',-which i had been trying to buy for a couple of years [good breedstock],oh,and a bag of seed raiser mix,.Congrats ,Teresa,a change is as good as a holiday[merino x possum socks]NZ made,apparently are very good!,..,The rain has stopped here,.,.yahoo
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 11, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8749963

Anthony - they call that Merino/possum blend "Merino Mink"... very soft & warm, I am not sure if the shop will stock that product.
I am hoping for a staff discount so i can buy some of the lovely merino garments...
I have a thermal top I bought recently at another store & wish I had bought several - I joined the loyalty program for $10.00 & saved well over that on my subsequent purchases.
Not sure if you get Kathmandu in Aussie - absolutely top stuff with prices to match - but their sales are legendary & they have loyalty card members days where you get an extra 15% on top of the discounted prices...
I bought a gore tex jacket, two pairs of pure wool hiking socks & my thermal top for less than the sale price of the jacket!

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/?gclid=CMX2k52cx6oCFYSCpAodBQLk0Q#e4EC

Turned cold here & we have had rain - they are predicting sleet on Sunday & possibly snow for 3 days after that!
We have had our snow for the year as far as I am concerned...
wonder what we will actually get?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8750034

Hello to you all. Sounds like the gardens are beginning to rumble awake.

With our heat and humidity as high as it has been, Jean, we surely know how Morton bay bugs feel as they head to the cooker. grin I must say the orchids have been happy with the current weather. BTW, I am usually here... a Dweller on the Threshold so to speak.

Hi Dianne. I have 3 dogs, 2 10 y/o Beagles, Benny & Sophie, and an 8y/o Springer Spaniel, Chester. I also have 3 cats. Max, 15, a black longhair. Mea, 15, a smoky grey longhair, and Bob-streporous,6, a tiger stripe longhair with a tail like a ringtailed lemur. Horribly rotten the lot of them. grin

Hope you all have a lovely day. This is one of my mystery name orchids

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 11, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8750856

Good morning everyone. Looks like being a lovely day like yesterday. I hope so as I want to get out with the Roundup and attack the weeds around the irises.
My orchids are all moved into in their shadehouse so I can start on clearing away some of the creeper and old geraniums down the back. There will be more room then to spread the brugs around.
Lots of other little jobs I can do now that the sun is drying things a bit.
I did get around all the paths with the hedge clippers too so now I can walk around without getting all wet from overhanging things.

Anthony, sounds like you had a very good buy there. More liliums ???
You are a bad influence on us.

Hello Moon. You have a nice menagerie there. I love cats when they are in other peoples places . I have never been able to like having them inside , getting hair on everything.
When I married hubby, he had 2 quite old siamese that got up on and in everything. .Totally spoilt. I know its not nice to say, but I was glad when they passed on.

Hello Teresa. You had some very good buys there. Hope all goes well for you in the new job.
Have the shakes eased up there now ?

Hello Dianne. Havent we all been caught like that ? See a pretty picture and buy the plant regardless.
I am annoyed with the careless way plants are labelled from some nurseries. Just the broad species name usually. Surely they know which cultivar they are growing to sell.
Its no wonder that people buying the plants are ignorant as to the proper cultivar name

Hello Karen. I have lots of epis that havent flowered for me too. New ones open each year. I put a pinch of potash on them around now. I also spray with orchid bloom booster. Dont know if it helps but they do flower well . I know the plants like to be a bit pot bound . The more neglected, the better they like it .

Hello Chrissy, Elaine, Colleen and Pam
Charleen, I saw a donkey yesterday and immediately thought of your furry fellows.
Hello Louise. . Are you still enjoying lots of visitors ? I do hope the weather is behaving nicely for you.
The way the year is going so fast, it will be autumn color in no time.

Wayne , if you are looking in , Happy Birthday.
I'll put out a cake for you and I know everyone else will enjoy a slice too.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 11, 2011

Post #8750869

LOL, they sound horribly spoilt, Jean, especially Bob-streporous...love the sound of his tail...
that's a pretty Orchid too.

Yes Teresa, we do have Kathmandu stores here, they are very popular.

Well I'm off to see Jane Eyre this morning...it's a nice day so we will have lunch at the one of the restaurants on the beach..

Have a great day everyone...don't work to hard Jean...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

August 11, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8750953

Hi everyone. A nice sunny morning here. We didn't get rain here, sadly, though we sure need it.

Jean, my epis have been totally neglected this year. I can't lift a watering can to fertilise them and didn't even put any slow release stuff on them this year. Will see how they go.

Have a great day, and keep the pics coming. Love seeing them.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8750964

Here they are looking thru the fence. Hello all our friends...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 11, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8750991

Rained heavily last night so no Frost :)
Back after the nurse has been.
Have a cuppa for me ...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8751077

Thanks Dianne. They are spoiled, but have become part of the family.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 11, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8751112

Jean - the last significant shake was the 13th of June - we've had a few smaller aftershocks but I seldom feel those now.
Fingers crossed that the earth has settled back into place for now.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 12, 2011
1:49 AM

Post #8751594

Great to hear the rumbling is easing up down NZ way ...we have been warned to expect Bushfires in our area and they have requested us to remove the plants close to the home (mine are Tropicals????) so I am not happy as they keep the home cooler in the high heat and they don't catch fire easily. Last fires our acre of pumpkins saved our home, staving off the fire until the Fire Fighters arrived. Big lush green leaves help not hinder. Oh well we have to do what they ask.
It's Friday already ...the week just zoomed away as usual ...good ...closer to 2012.
Must be pretty dry up North Already first Bush Fires have started near Rocky hope everyone will be ok, it's been ten years since our Black Christmas fingers crossed we won't have a repeat.

Pretty orchids Moon :)

Lovely long ears I see there looking through the fence ...here is a cyber carrot or two ...pat pat.

Jean I think I will stick with my Cape Gooseberries ...no prickles and delicious, grow like weeds here self seeding everywhere.

Enjoy the evening everyone :)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

August 12, 2011
2:16 AM

Post #8751605

Katmandu- can we take a big dollar note from you?,.,.ha ha,..,yes they can,if you dont shop elsewhere,.,.fortunately ,here,they have opposition x 2 within 100 metres,,not including,the ''skin rugs'' shop on the opposite corner[which sells ugg boots too],.,.,..,Jean, -more lilies yes,.,.more seeds coming,..,''its gonna be a good summer''!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8751713

Thanks Chrissy. Hope the fires never materialize...so scary when they start cropping up. My daughter had just moved to Sydney when the Christmas fires broke out...a scarey time for sure.

These lilies just finished blooming ...they are such happy flowers...

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 12, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8752596

Good morning everyone. I just called in for a quick cuppa. The boys have gone on their Cub camp so I hope to get out and do a bit more with the brugs. A bit cold at the moment but hopefully the sun will come out for me. I just looked outside and I don't think the sun will come out. It's pretty gloomy out there. Oh well as long as the wind doesn't come it should be okay. Hope all are well and I'll pop back in later. Have a lovely day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 12, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8752675

Good morning everyone. A bit cold here this morning . Would have to have been nearly a frost. Yesterday was lovely. Sunny all day after a cold start.
I was outside all day with my jumper off.
I potted seeds and moved pots around. I am hoping today will be the same . Hubby says the forecast is good but more cold weather next week.
I have lots of cuttings coming that will need to be potted up soon too. The little seeds I planted in the peat pots will go straight into the ground as they are.
If at least one grows from each little pot, it will be great. We have so many slugs around the garden , the plants are usually eaten off as soon as they hit the ground. I use lots of snail bait but the pellets dont last long. They used to be very good once., but now they start breaking down straight away and one has all these little furry bits around. Definitely not good in pots.
I must look for a different brand next time.
A bit like everything these days. Once you find something good to use, wear or eat, it gets taken off the market.
It seems manufacturers have been trying for years to really make us into a throwaway society.
Once upon a time, it possible to buy something that lasted well and could be worn or used for many years.
Not now .
I still have my mothers vacuum in nearly as good a condition as when she bought it from the Electrolux man who came to the door all those many years ago.
Meanwhile , we have been through about 4 bread makers, many irons and kettles and clothing that just seems designed to wear out quickly.
Better get off the subject.

Hello Anthony. Lots of liliums now , poking their heads up to look around and see if its warm yet.

Hello Colleen. Enjoy your time on your own, the boys will be having a really good time too.

Love the lilies , Moon. my tigers wont be up for a while yet.

Charleen, how can one resist leaning over to pat those faces.

Chrissy, I have seen the same silly instructions given to people in fire areas here. They should be encouraging people to grow more green and deciduous things around their homes instead of promoting too many of the very fire prone natives.

I had better get over and see whos waiting at the new Tea Room site .
happy day. Try this Chocolate Cake with your cuppa.

We have moved to here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1210022/
Jean

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011 9:48 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8752681

Something to brighten your day.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America