-
AuthorContent
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8711532

The best production I have found when growing tomatoes is when I prune the plant to One Single Vine.
That means I let the main plant vine grow and prune off all the suckers. The suckers are the young side
vines that start to grow at the internode of each leaf or at the junction of each leaf.
You can get a huge production if you let the plants grow all their suckers into mature vines. But- fruits get small further
up the vine because the plant is putting lots of energy out that goes to that huge plant and the tomato fruits. But
if you grow tomato plants with only one single vine which is the main vine, then all the fruits will grow about the same size.
You will get even more uniform fruits up the vine if each fruit cluster is pruned to 4 fruits on each cluster.

This is a photo from the year 2005. Each plant was pruned to a single vine. The main stem vine. Be careful not to snip off the
very tip top...thats where the main vine continues to grow up up up.

Sorry===this pic turned out to be itty bitty

For larger View==click this link
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/CricketsGreenhouse/greenhouse014.jpg

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 9:12 PM

This message was edited Jul 23, 2011 9:17 PM

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Market Growers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sat., June 21 Markets CountryGardens 40 Oct 5, 2010 5:25 AM
Odor-free Bone Meal? Will wildlife still uproot plants? PlanterRik 8 Jun 24, 2009 2:31 PM
Question on growing food for sale (organic) hczone6 28 Oct 1, 2007 7:52 PM
water melons,cantaloupes CricketsGarden 8 Sep 1, 2007 8:39 PM
Backyard nursery TXSWETIE 183 Jul 2, 2007 9:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America