Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: streptocarpella

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flowblue
Southern California, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 24, 2011
12:08 AM

Post #8711885

i am posting a new thread with hopes that i can get more information on this plant that belongs to the african violet family and is a sub of streptocarpus.

i have visited the african violet forum. however, most have the streptocarpus.

i have one streptocarpella, the concord blue and am interested in acquiring other colours. their flowers look alike, but they are totally different in growth habits. the s/carpella is trailing and much easier to grow and propagate, while the s/carpus is more like a violet with long leaves and personally, i found them difficult to grow.

thank you in advance.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8712695

Some info I ran across...

http://www.kartuz.com/pc/10880/1GES16/Streptocarpella Sparkle.html

http://www.parkswholesaleplants.com/spring-plants/annuals-jz/streptocarpella-blue/

http://compare.ebay.com/like/200626235876?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
flowblue
Southern California, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 24, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8712718

thank you moonhowl for the strep websites.

nearest one would be kartuz about an hour and a half from me. i would be interested in trading my concord blue for other colours. thanks again.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8712731

You are very welcome. perhaps if you post here that you have plants to trade you may find others interested. Good Luck to you.
flowblue
Southern California, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 1, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8872809

hello moonhowl,

since my last post, DH and i drove south to Vista, an hour and a half drive for us. we arrived at 8 a.m. and came upon the city's farmer's market. did a pit stop, browsed and bought a lemon thyme plant and a couple of succulents...

kartuz nursery was an easy find...the one employee we talked to was busy cleaning one of the greenhouses and told us that mike the owner would be arriving shortly.

we browsed further on and by the time the owner arrived, i had picked a few plants. baby blue streps and also ended up buying hoyas. while i only had two hoyas before, i now have 7.

it was a fun drive to vista and very pleased with unusual hoyas he had.

since then, i have come across a home hobby nursery who had white streps. i also found somebody who sold me cuttings of deep purple, and baby blue and snow white. only deep purple left and is barely surviving.

search for deep purple still on. thanks for info on kartuz.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8873025

Sounds like the hoyas were a better deal than the Streps...grin Glad Kartuz was a good experience.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America