cheap/no cost note paper

Crozet, VA

I save all my junk mail and other envelopes to go through for shredding to send to compost. Sometimes I get behind and have quite a pile to do at one time. A few months ago I began saving the backs of solid/no print envelopes to keep in a jar on my counter to jot down lists on. It saves me having to use note book paper or typing paper which are too large anyway and wasteful unless the sheet is quartered or something. It does take a bit of time to tear the backs of the envelopes off but I am tearing the celophane windows off already, so an added step to the process doesn't bother me.

If anyone is tired of buying note paper pads, this might be something you may want to try doing.

I am also conserving and pleasing myself at the same time when preparing kool aid for my grandchildren who are here quite often in the afternoons. I have been buying apple juice in a quart jug for some months to have for the baby and have found the empty jug is perfect for mixing up a package of koolaid. I like it for one reason better than making it in a pitcher because I can add the sugar and mix, a bit of water to the jug and shake it really well after putting the lid on it and it mixes better than it does when stirring in a pitcher with a spoon. After it is mixed well I finish filling it with water and viola.....yummy kool aid.

Neither of these are really biggies, but the way I look at it, every penny saved is good.

Ruby

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

I use the back of the envelopes to write my grocery lists and put the coupons I am going to use inside the envelope. After I am done , it goes to the recycling bin.

Crozet, VA

Man, you upped me Esther. That is a great idea. Very handy indeed. Thanks for sharing.....I might try doing that sometime when I am using coupons. Thanks again.

Ruby

Southern California, CA

I tried using an envelope today for my grocery list and it worked very well. It's much sturdier than a sheet of paper, too! Thanks.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Here here on the envelopes!! I do the same, but I don't shred anything that isn't personal info. I save the shredder blades for those things only, and just re-use the envelopes for note pads. I am too cheap to buy notepads...lol
Also, if I have printed stuff from online, and they turn out not to be needed, I cut the 8x11 pages into thirds for my notepads. Or, that one page that prints the one line url info, I just keep it in the printer to re-use, instead of using a fresh on everytime.

Crozet, VA

Same with me on print paper that isn't needed for anything else, or only has a few lines of print on it. Seems like great minds think alike. Good going ladies.

Ruby

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

All of your ideas are great. Here's my contribution to add to your ideas. You can buy those clipboards at Staples or Office Depot for a reasonable amount. Buy several to keep in the rooms where you feel you need them the most. I like to keep the 5x7 sizes . If you need ruled paper, draw your own lines with a ruler or buy a few legal pad and cut a few sheets at at time down the middle and that will work well too. I have a letter size clipboard with notebook paper in it in my bedroom. Before I go to bed, I often look through my gardening magazines(Fine Gardening, GardenGate magazine and others)over and over and my garden books. Ruled notebook paper is cheap, You can always find notebooks/aka 3 ring binders at yard sales cheap. Keep notebook paper handy and write you notes on it and you can keep the notes in the notebook then there's not a lot of papers scattered around to look messy. (I should follow my own suggestions!) LOL!

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

The nearest Office Depot to me is 30 miles away. I stay home and rummage through the stuff we have here. Fiance and mysef, we have combined the 2 households, so if I don't have something, he prob does.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I received a "Daily cartoon desk calendar for Christmas. " I use the back of each page for notes here at the computer and for grocery lists. It is really handy since I always have note paper here on the computer desk.

My mother used envelopes for grocery lists for as far back as I can remember and that's a good long time.LOL
She also used them to save her "Green Stamps" in. LOL She cut the corners off some and used them over the corners of her current reading book and to mark a lot of passages in the bible. I guess that depression era frugality was just a way of life at our house. I appreciate that fact and still find myself copying a lot of the old ideas.

My children have always laughed at me for using the coffee grounds a second time by adding 1/2 the amount again for the next pot. I thought everyone did this up until a few years ago.LOL As a teenager, I didn't have the money for hair cuts, so I learned to cut my own hair and I still do. I mentally tally up what I would spend and use that for plants. LOL I now cut my DH's hair since he started to go bald. I give him a burr cut every three weeks whether he needs it or not. When he started coming home from the barber shop with a combover, I said I didn't think he wanted to end up looking like some of our friends. So he okayed the burr cut and it works for me and him. LOL

Lou

Crozet, VA

Great idea for consolidating notes on the clipboard papers Pippi. That is a great way to begin keeping things together instead of my current way with small slips here, there and everywhere. Gonna do it.

I love the idea of using the cut off corner of an envelope as a book mark. Love it, love it. Thanks for sharing that Lou. Gonna give that a try too.

Thank everyone for their input on ways to re-use or make better use of what we have. I always cringe when visiting my son's house to see the sorts of things they put in the trash because we recycle most everything here that can be recycled or reused. I never realized how many cardboard boxes a person uses in the kitchen a week. Especially someone such as myself who has a bad sweet tooth and eats lots of boxed cookies and cereals. I shred these boxes usually and save the larger ones for John to use in his gardening where he often tries to put down either newspaper or cardboard to help kill weeds around newly planted things.

Good going folks.

Ruby

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Speaking of saving notes...I have been using my scanner the past 3 years for that. I scan the important paper, then file the hard copy in the file box. At least, if I need the info right away, I just go to "my documents". and access the file. Not having to dig through papers to find it.

Crozet, VA

Great idea Moxie.

Someone mentioned Green Stamps recently. A while back I found about twenty books of unredeemed green stamps and looked on line to see if they were still in business. Sperry Hutchinson Company is now giving Green Points at some retailers. They also have a division that will accept old green stamps and pay you for them. I mailed mine in and received a check for $25.20 a couple of weeks ago. It was worth my time getting them together and mailing them off.

Ruby

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Ahhh...Green Stamps. I miss those..and the stores. Life was so much quieter back in those days. Phones had party lines and busy signals.....schools were neighborhood......tv consisted of 3 channels and one PBS local station. No junk mail as we know it now....internet or otherwise. Technology is nice and fine....but makes life more hurried and hectic I think.

Crozet, VA

Just the other day while using a business to send off a fax for me, I had to shake my head at the supposed technology cutting down on paper waste. What a bunch of bull that is. By the time the one page fax was sent, the operator handed me six or eight pieces of letter size paper showing the transmissions and receipts. I didn't comment on it, but sure had a diaglogue going on in my head over the waste of paper required to do something that should be simple.

Anyway....it turned out......I now have a supply of note papepers from the papers it took to show me the fax had gone through.

Yep Moxie, our kids couldn't imagine living the way you described about a simpler and easier time. I sometimes wonder about folks who have a cell phone in their hands at all times. Remember the days when we were away from home and if someone tried to call us, they had to keep trying to call until we arrived back at home? I am not against cell phones at all and feel they have really become a great convenience for family's to stay in touch during our busy days....but some folks seem to take this to the extreme.

I remember some years ago when cell phones were just beginning to become the rage. I was visiting New York City and remember seeing three somethings walking down the street, each person with their cell phones to their ears walking beside one another, but involved with whoever was on the other end of the phone. I remember having the feeling that this was the beginning of us cutting off socialization with those around us and preferring to be occupied by a voice on a machine rather than being actively involved with those who were with us at the time.

I must confess that I am quilty of allowing my computer to stand between myelf and my family members who are actually in the room with me, but I am a million miles away talking about who knows what. I try to acknowledge the presence of family members when they enter the room where I am and allow them my attention but know that often times I fall short of that goal and even though in the same room with a loved one, am a million miles away in my thoughts.

Don't know where this came from, but thanks for reminding me that I once lived a calmer and much simpler life. I do love my computer but need to make efforts to be available to those who are here with me and not tied to the website in front of my face.

Ruby

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Ruby- Oh, most definitely!! I agree with you on the modern technology and convenience. I appreciate my microwave, my internet, my laptop. But, I don't need the convenience of cellphones. I don't need to available 24/7. Leave me a message please :)

Crozet, VA

Ditto. You sound like my kind of person.

Ruby

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

S&H Green Stamps and TopValue Stamps (these were yellow) came along about the same time frame. I am still using a clothes hamper that was given to me as a wedding gift 47 yrs. ago. It's better than any you can buy today in the stores. I found a smaller one but very sturdy at a Thrift store for only $3..It has a strange odor, kind of musty smell in it when I bought it but I keep 3 bars of a great smelling soap like lavender in the bottom of that hamper that I rec'd as a gift. I bought a pr. of living room lamps with one of the above trading stamps when were first married. Of course, they were either sold at a yard sale or given to a needy charity.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

There was also a stamp collection servce called Blue Chip. I remember feeling frustrated when ti suddenly stopped and I was left with not quite two books filled.

Crozet, VA

Yuska, do an online search and see if there is a company that may redeem the blue chips. That is how I found out about the possible redemption of the Green Stamps.

Pippi, I am there with you on the quality of the items made back in the day. I too use a clothes hamper that was also purchased with the green stamps. We might have the same hamper. Is yours kind of bamboo or rattan basket weave and is tall and round? I painted mine a dark green some years back to match the decor of the bedroom at the time. It was either pink or blue originally.

How funny!!! How about back in the sixties when either drinking glasses or dish towels or the like was hidden in the boxes of laundry soap? Our neighbors had a whole set of drinking glasses from some or the other detergents. I would love for things like that to still occur. What fun that was.

I also recently checked online to see if coupon codes on Kool Aid packages were running any sorts of specials. When my sons were young, almost thirty years ago I remember saving them and redeeming them for drinking cups, pitchers and some different types of toys with the Kool Aid logo on them. No program currently running so in the trash the whole package now goes as I am once again using a lot of Kool Aid here for the grand children.

I can remember as a young child in elementary school having my mother do a redemption on some cereal to buy me two baby dolls. I still have one of the dolls even though she is hairless and discolored. I played and played with those dolls and the outfits that came along with them.

Oh gosh......lots of old memories.

Ruby

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes...life was so much more simple and enjoyable back then. No junk mail in the mailbox. No endless phonecalls from people trying to talk you out of your money. When I was young, we would play ball in the street...rarely any traffic. The sun shine still reached the pavement. We had a small farmer who did a produce truck from the back of his old red pick-up truck. He'd drive down the street hollering his name....driving really slow of course. "Mike!!..Mike!!"...and the women would go out and buy fresh produce from him.
We didn't ever get the milk delivered to the door. Not sure if it wasn't available in Kansas City..or, dad just didn't order it. But the houses, on our street..neighborhood..were built in the 20's..nd had the window cold frames in the kitchens. Keep the butter and milk in them.

Crozet, VA

Yes indeed, life has certainly changed the fifty five years that I have been alive. As a child I would have never imagined some of the things we take for granted these days as far as technology goes anyway. I am wondering if I would have found myself in a lot less trouble if cell phones had been available then and when things came up to create me being delayed coming home or whatever and I could have called and checked with my mom before having to tuck tail and come in late or something else that I used to get in trouble for. Yep, the cell phones would have been nice to have had on a couple of occasions for sure.

We did have milk delivered to our back step a few times a week. I remember the glass milk bottles that you would empty and then set back out for the milkman to return to be reused. Our small town only had one little grocery store and I can remember every crack and cranny of that place. It would be shut down these days for sanitary reason I am sure. Wonder we didn't all die from food poisoning then.

Anyway....thanks for a walk down memory lane.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images