Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sewing and Quilting: My first quilt....

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 14, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8712691

On becoming a mother I was seized with a desire to make my new son a quilt. This was in 1966. I had sewn Western shirts, skirts, blouses, stuff like that. but not a quilt. I saved every scrap of fabric and my grandmother had given me a bit so I had a small stash. Very small. I remember my mom making templates out of cardboard so that's what I did and marked fabric and cut out different sized squares and sewed them together with 5/8 in. seams. And by guess and by golly I made a quilt! Just winging it. We named it 'Paul's Linus Blanket' and Paul loved loved it. You can see just how much he loved it by how worn it is. The yellow border was flannel once upon a time. All the fuzzy has been loved off. Kind like the Velveteen Rabbit. The pretty plaid fabric is a polyester blend, the rest is cotton. You can see how the cotton has worn and the plaid still looks pretty good. I knew nothing about matching corners, quarter in. seams or binding or using all one kind of fabric. I know now all that stuff and can make a pretty decent quilt. But I have never made one that was loved as much as this one. My daughter-in-law takes care of it now and she loves it too. Paul just rolls his eyes.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8712696

A close up. I think the bright lime green is a poly blend also. Does anyone else have your first quilt? Show us!

Thumbnail by morknotmindy

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 24, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8713177

Awwwww, how sweet!
My 1st quilt? It's on the "help me with my rag quilt please" thread.
Still clipping...LOL

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8713196

What a treasure. I'm glad your DIL is keeping it safe for your son.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8713275

My first quilt... hummmm come to think of it I made my very first quilt for a former boyfriend a 100 years ago!!! It was the wedding gift I gave him and his wife. His wife liked it just fine.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8714281

I'll have to remember to take pics. It is over 20 yr old and sits on the cedar chest at the foot of the bed. It had poly batting which is long gone. Still use it for naps.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8714786

My first quilt was supposed to be a tree skirt. But after I had it together, I couldn't bear to cut it open to go aroung the tree. So it is now a table topper!!!! I'll get a picture in the morning. Got the camera back from grandson but it needs to be charged...
FnE

(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8717040

Hi, I am a Newbie, both to this forum, and to quilting. It looks like you have a good time here!
I just finished my first quilt, except for the label, I know, I know, it's not finished until the label is done, but I need to get some fabric markers. I live in BC and travel to Bellingham Wa for my quilt shopping, so the markers are on my list. How do you do your labels? So far, I have some I found at Tuesday Morning, that you complete with the markers. I look forward to joining more of your forums and to "talking" to you all! BTW my quilt has 3-D pinwheels that I learned at a Scrappy Sew club. Fran.

Thumbnail by FnE

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8717045

Heck, I rarely remember to put the label on!!!!! Can never think of anything "catchy" to say.
Welcome. Hope you enjoy it here.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8717354

WELCOME Fran and we look forward to getting to know you!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
10:13 PM

Post #8717658

welcome Fran, I love that quilt design!!!! and that is an excellent first quilt!!!

I do lots of different labels, but usually try to include... who the quilt is for, date started,+/or date finished, my name, my town, and state...if it is for a new baby, I often include their name, birth date, weight , length...

my hubby draws some designs for me, or I trace things I like. don't have any photo's on this computer sew I cannot show you any right now...use fabric markers to write with , and to color in some designs...I like pigma brand micron markers...they are a bit expensive, but if you keep them closed properly they last a long time!!! they sell at quilting places, and at scrap booking places..

you can also print labels with your computer...but I have never done that...

Gloria, love your quilt too !!!

the first "real" quilt I made was a full / queen size and it was a gift for one of my sisters, she taught me how to sew on a machine...had only sewed by hand before.
as I said before ..no photos on this computer... I had made baby blankets , but they were just one big piece of fabric, with that silkie binding tape that you could buy pre-folded...and I had made lots of skirts, curtains, table cloths...pocket books...all sewn by hand...shortly after we got married, hub's grand mother let me borrow a sewing machine, a few years later hubs bought me a Kenmore (still have it and It is still going strong )
the first real quilt that I actually cut up fabric and put pieces together, was made out of scraps from clothes, my sister had made for all of us girls, and scraps from curtains, we had made for our rooms when we were all kids...I bought the borders, and the backing with help from my sister, tho she did not know at the time the quilt was gonna be for her !!! as far as I know she still uses it in her guest room...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8718238

Welcome Fran. It's nice to "meet" you. We do have a lot of fun here and are always willing to answer questions or help if you can. I think you will enjoy this forum. Great people!!!!!
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8718418

I love all the "first" quilts and the stories behind it :)
Here is my "first" quilt...an oversized flannel Lapquilt for myself and it will probably be the only quilt that I machine quilt myself. I have nerve damage in both ellbows and machine quilting with my little Kenmore was just a bit much...lol

Thumbnail by Thea1962

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8718500

Here is my first quilt - the Christmas Tree skirt that I could not bring myself to cut into for the tree!!!! I love it and it is used every year...I hand quilted it and really enjoyed the process. Fingers rebel a bit now...

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8718574

Fran, welcome to the forum! Your first quilt is awesome! You have 'hit the ground running'. Thea, ditto for you. Isn't it so inspiring to have your first turn out so beautifully? I didn't know any better with my first one! lol I thought it was beautiful. Still do. Barb, love your fist one also. I wouldn't have cut it either. It is so happy the way it is.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America