Photo by Melody

Needle Arts: A few more tatted things....

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 12, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8712752

More snowflakes. I am now tatting some in colors. Purple, red, yellow, blue, whatever color I happen to grab. I have SOOOOO much thread... What was I thinking?!

Thumbnail by morknotmindy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8712836

Beautiful!!!! Do you think tatting is something I can learn from a book?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8712881

Barb, I don't think I could have learned by looking at a book. I have to see something being done before it makes any sense to me, but that's just me, you may be different. Once you understand the basic stitch I find it easier than crocheting. Slower but easier. And if you make a mistake and don't catch it soon enough you can't undo it. Tatting is much stronger than crochet. Hope I don't sound like I'm trying to discourage you... One of the problems I see with the written and drawn directions is that it doesn't show you what NOT to do, so if you keeping making knots that won't move you haven't a clue as to what happened, let alone how to fix it. I think there are videos about leaning to tat. There's a group called Ring of Tatters that you could check out on the internet. I just ran across them last week. I'll check again to see what I can find.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8712914

Thanks Gloria - a link would be great. And, no, you didn't discourage me - only I can do that!! Heehee

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8735213

Ok Barb, Iv'e been looking on google at most of the how to tat videos and just ran across one that I think is the best. She is very clear on her instruction and she goes slow enough for you to see what she is doing. She is using big enough thread that the stitches show up very well. I have a shuttle like the one she is using but haven't used it yet. I use the metal ones with the removable bobbins. This is a pic of the different types I have used. The big one I haven't used much, I bought it because I thought it was cool. The white plastic one is the one my grandmother gave me when I first learned. I prefer to use the metal ones that Boye makes as it has a smaller hook. Any way, check tatting videos for beginners on Google. The one I like is Tatting 101 A,B,C,D,and E by tjsproudmom. Let me know what you think.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8736026

Thanks Gloria - I will check it out this evening...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8809685

Barb - any luck with the tatting? I tried to teach myself and gave up after all I had were lose knots.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8809824

Between the trip to Canada, hurricane Irene and TS Lee with all its rain, I haven't even looked yet . BUT, it is on my list which I keep on a post it on the desktop!!!! The priorities have a way of jumping around though!!!!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8838083

I would say it depends on how your mind works. I learned tatting and crochet from a book. I don't have a problem with doing that as apparently that is how my mind works. Many people can't learn from books. Doesn't mean you are dumb or clumsy, you just learn differently. :) Don't be afraid to try! Tatting is very easy. If you can make a double knot, you can tat. Simple as that. The rest is just manipulation of the threads. And if you get goofy, you can use jute ... check out my pan holder at the bottom left...(the lark's head in macrame is the same square knot used in tatting)

Thumbnail by kooger

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 6, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8838112

These are a couple of my daughters tatted items. My mother taught her.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 6, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8838116

My mom made this same bonnet in all white plus matching booties to go with a christening gown.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8838517

wow! beautiful work!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8839230

Those are so very pretty Siliolegma. She did beautiful work...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 62 Apr 8, 2014 9:17 AM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America