Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hostas: My "Giants Garden"

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 107, Views: 1,987
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8712886

Several years ago I bought a "Jurassic Park" hosta and was a little discouraged by what I received and how it progressed (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/868583/), but by this spring (it's 3rd year in my garden), it had started to grow, so I moved it to a new location, to see if I could boost it's growth. I decided I'd devote this area of my garden to large plants, since I already had some sizable "Sum and Substance" hostas established.
Here's how the area looks today/

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8712893

I added several large leaf plants including a colocasia "Gigantea Thailand", which is supposed to get to 7' tall(!) - it's the large leaf in the center, next to "Jurassic Park".

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8712907

To give a little perspective, here I am, standing next to the colocasia plant. (ooops - I forget DG doesn't recognize vertical photos).

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 4:34 PM

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8712911

Let's try this one

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8713276

Wow! That's some leaf.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8714141

Wow!
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8714171

Where did you get your Thailand Giant? In the tropics they can grow up to 20' tall. I have seen the bulbs online for as little as $12.00

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8714316

I bought mine from VanBourgondien - 3/$24 (wholesale). Only two grew for me, however, so I guess that makes them $12 each.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8715882

Not to stray too far from your beautiful hostas, but I ordered some Muscari, Crocus, and Narcissus bulbs from Van Bourgondien after seeing you post about using them awhile back. I hope to have a very pretty low maintenance bed next spring =)
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 26, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8716321

LeawoodG I love the "big leaf" and throughly enjoy seeing your garden photos.
I also like the rock bench , kindof seems a "Jurasic period" look to the entire bed.
Alberta Ann

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8716330

I've ordered bulbs and plant material from VanBourgondien for almost 20 years. Generally, I'm happy with both the quality and prices they offer. I buy for myself and a friend, so the combined order qualifies for their wholesale prices.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8719834

That's a beautiful garden! What zone is that Thailand giant hardy to? Maybe i could substitute with elephants ear plant instead
hostages
Wyoming, MN

July 27, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8719942

Outlaw

Thailand Giant is an extraordinarily large elephant ear.

Gary

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8720953

It's tropical (zone 8-10), but if you dig it shortly after the first frost, you can store it in your basement for the winter.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8721953

Haha! You learn something new every day!!! Now I'm looking.g at your zone redwood and it's not too different from mine. I think I'll have to try this plant out. Not a fan of overwintering bulbs but i may change my mind here.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8722485

Leawood, do these elephant ears need a lot of water? It was a good idea to plant them with the Hostas, looking good!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8722826

Alocasia and colocasia seem to like lots of water, so I give them a little more than the surrounding hostas.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8722963

Thank you Leawood. My biggest hosta right now is 'Dragons Eye'

Thumbnail by virginiarose

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8723223

Outlaw, overwintering bulbs and plants is all a part of gardening in the Midwest. In the fall I dig my banana trees, colocasia and alocasia bulbs and bring them in to 'sleep' for the winter in a dark room in my basement. I also bring in the tropicals - brugmansia, bouganvillea, hibiscus and angel wing begonias to hibernate by the windows in the basement.

In the spring, they go outside and I dig up tulips to dry, sort and store in the basement for the summer - I guess you'd say I use my basement storeroom as my 'off season' garden. LOL.

Here's a pic of some of my bananas from last year (so far this year none of my trees have put out bloom spikes).

Oooops! I keep forgetting DG doesn't take the vertical pix from my files - sorry, I'm laying on my side.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 12:06 PM

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8723731

Nice bananas Leawood! Are they edible? You must like the tropical stuff. :)

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8723845

I like all types of plants/flowers. I guess you might describe my style as similar to the Victorians, who worked to stretch the season and expand the climate zones. That's why you see palm trees in gardens in the Lake Como region of Italy, very close to the Swiss border.

I like to have 'different' plants and combinations that you would expect in Kansas.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8723862

Leawood you'd love my mom who has a dwarf Grapefruit, Meyer lemon, or maybe that one died? A kumquat, and... Oh.. I can't remember. Maybe a key lime? right in Syracuse ny! We won the cny "snow globe" last winter for most accumulation. She is a school teacher and takes them there for fall. I just shake my head. god love her, no fruit yet, but she likes em anyway.and the kids do too. I'll show her the banana picture so she can want a banana tree for Christmas! :)

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8725101

My banana trees each put out several 'pups' in the summer. When I dig them in the fall, I end up with 3-4 times as many trees as I planted, so each year I give away several. If you think your mom would like one, I'll be happy to send it your way

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8725714

Those are beautiful Leawood! I like you Impatiens, very nice flower bed.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011

Post #8725752

Those are awesome! For now I'll pass but I'll keep your offer in mind. :)

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8725806

I just plant annuals in this bed because I use it for tulips in the spring.

OOOPS. I don't plant them on their side, however. I keep forgetting about photos in DG.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2011 4:05 PM

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8725835

That's ok, I have learned to tilt to the right. Beautiful, I was going to order some tulips from the co-op. I want pink but don't know the name of any pink ones. Figured I would scroll the plantfiles and write down the pink ones and hopefully find one of them on the list. I want a mass planting like yours.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8725843

Look through the photos at the co-op group. Last year I uploaded pictures of all the varieties of tulips.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8725896

OH shucks!! That will help a lot, thanks. :)

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8726475

Lovely!!!! I'd love to fill our ditch with tulips and daffodils. Can't decide what colors though...

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8727156

"Pink Impression" is a lovely Darwin tulip that is late season - large waxy blooms on tall stems - I love it.

Another favorite is "Menton" - also a late season bloomer.

Its not really pink, but dark rose with orange flames, but "Princess Irene" is a favorite of mine. I have used it in my urns (forced in plastic pots in the ground over the winter, then placed in the urns in the spring) in the past and like it for its shorter stems and mid-season blooms - perfect for containers.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8728110

That's amazing, I went to Yahoo coop and looked at the pictures that Frank posted and my favourite was' Pink Impression'. But they cancelled the offer or something. I was so mad. But I do want the early bloomers, I must get this over with before my husband breaks out the lawn mower! I had some red tulips this past year, I got them on sale at Walmart and then I left them in the pot too long and they rotted. :*( Anyway I like your urn looks a bit bigger than mine, but mine broke. Hopefully I will find a big pot before next spring. ' Princess Irene ' is what's in the picture? Nice, I will have to check on that one! If nothing else they do have 'Christmas Dream ' for .35cent a piece and I think they are very lovely.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8728220

You can order the varieties that have been dropped in the tulip co-op if you order the full minimum quantity of the variety.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8728236

Oh, Ok. So I can still get them if I order 100? Not sure I want that many right now. But that is a good thing to know, thanks a lot!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8732126

there is a coop offering pink impression - i plan to some

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8732769

Which coop is offering pink impression wha?
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8733016

dutchman or bleeks on the "other" site

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8733041

I did register with the other site but I forgot to bookmark it and now I cannot find it. I will look some more tomorrow.
Well I decided one co-op is enough for me, thanks anyway. :)

This message was edited Aug 7, 2011 9:15 PM

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2011
4:18 AM

Post #8772390

Here's the latest pic of my colocasia 'Giganteum Thailand' - We had a severe thunderstorm and high winds on Friday that knocked most of the walnuts off the tree that shades this garden. Some of the leaves got broken in the hail of walnuts.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2011
5:21 AM

Post #8772455

Well, you're still smiling, and your plants are still standing! I'm glad you didn't have more damage from the storm. We had a bunch of downbursts in our area Saturday with lots of broken tree limbs, downed trees, and power outages through Sunday. Surprisingly, there was no damage at our house.
HelenVT
Charlotte, VT

August 23, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8772680

Leawood, your gardens must be enjoyed by everyone in your neighborhood. I am impressed just by looking at your photos!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8773009

I actually had a lots of limbs down in Friday night's storm, including a limb from the walnut tree that was laden with nuts. Fortunately, it fell into the street, not on top of my plants. I also had a large limb from an oak tree that fell in the yard, missing the house and hedges. Several of my topiary plants (hibiscus and bougainvillea) blew over, but no broken pots this time.

The bougainvillea in the concrete pot tore loose from its stake and was bent over, touching the ground. Fortunately, it didn't snap the stem.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8773459

OMG! Heavy winds this afternoon tore it loose again! It's quite topheavy - I need to tie it more securely.

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 24, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8775039

omg Leawood looks like you are lucky to be saving her!
Maybe you need to hide it from the wind for a bit. We too have had some really good winds lately and my pots have taken a tumble and with luck nothing has broken either.
Ann
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 24, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8775194

Beautiful gardens, Leawood. I've tried 'Elephant Ears' in my little pond on the deck. They get nowhere as big as yours. I guess it's the variety. I've overwintered mine inside in vases filled with water. I had no idea they could be stored dry. Does your basement have to have cold storage in order for it to be effective? BTW, what are the plants on either side of your Bougainvillea?

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8775719

I just store the elephant ears dry, at room temperature (which is about 60-65 degrees in my basement in the winter). This is the first year I've had the colocasia 'Gigantea Thailand', but I assume I'll be able to handle it just like the more common varieties - wait for frost, then dig the bulb, cut off the leaves and wash it and place it in a cool, dark spot in the basement.

The vines in the urns are mandevilla. I like the waxy leaf and white bloom of this variety ('Sunmadeho'); I've also had the more common pink variety and a beautiful, deep, velvety red variety in the past. They are tropical, but I don't try to bring them in for the winter (no room!). I just start fresh each spring.

Ooops. I keep forgetting DG won't take my vertical photos. Sorry.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 5:43 AM

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8775820

Here's a view you don't need to tilt your head to see.

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 25, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8775891

Leawood - Thanks for the info and the close-up. The mandevilla are absolutely gorgeous. I love the white with the dark glossy leaves and the urns look perfect with them.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8843489

The cool weather has given the mandevilla a boost of blooms. Soon they will get frosted, however.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8843991

That sure is a big plant for one season, you must be doing something right. May I ask what do you have it growing up on?

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8844676

The frame is a wire cone about 42" high

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8845321

OK, Thanks! Very beautiful plant and I hope my red one does as well, got it on sale last month and will bring in house for winter so I can plant next year and enjoy all season. :)

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8861610

Frost did in the tender tropicals last week, so I spent the weekend digging banana trees and elephant ears to store in the basement over the winter. Here's the what I got from the two huge colocasia "Gigantea Thailand" and the smaller black elephant ears.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8862063

WOW, you must have a big shovel. :)

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9111080

Here's my 'Giants' garden at the end of April, 2012. I've planted the two 'Giganteum Thailand' colocasia, but you can't see them yet.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9111081

I added three 'Empress Wu' hostas to the bed. Let's hope they do something in my lifetime - I hear they are pretty slow growing.

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9111326

Empress Wu has to be the fastest growing hosta I have ever grown. This will be the third full year I have had mine. I am also in zone 5b. Last year my Wu was up to 36' tall and 48" wide. It started out looking like a second year tissue culture. This year it is already at 52" wide and it is still early.

It has taken over 10 years for my giant Samual Blue (on the left) to get up to 36" tall and 84" wide. I had bought Empress Wu to be a giant green hosta since I have S&S on the other end. My Wu is blue. That is Paradigm between them.

Thumbnail by franknjim

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9111408

Wow franknjim, that looks great. Let's hope my 'Wu' performs as well as yours!
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9111418

I actually have a very difficult area where all of my hosta grow. My shade is from two very big Silver Maples so the top 16" of soil is solid tree roots. I compensate by watering heavily starting as the hosta break the ground until they go dormant. I have never been able to amend or till the soil here. It takes a hatchet and pruners just to dig a hole big enough to plant in.

With the way that you take care of your beautiful gardens I am sure that your Wu will grow faster than mine has. Whoever had a slow growing Wu must have had other things going on that retarded the growth. Everyone I have spoken with has had theirs grow like mine is.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9111709

Great! Well, I gave her a place of honor - center stage in my 'giants' bed. It's under a walnut tree, but I don't have a lot of interference from roots. The soil was all brought in in 2006, after construction in the creek behind my house (this area was their access ramp to the creek, so bulldozers and dump trucks drove in and out for a few months. They removed the rich, black topsoil in my yard to build the ramp into the creek and, when they replaced it, they brought in clay and gravel - soil filled with broken concrete and asphalt - they thought they were going to lay sod on top and take off.

I knew I was going to build a garden, so I told them to keep the sod. Every time I pushed a shovel into the dirt, I hit rocks or asphalt, so each time I planted something, I dug a huge hole and filled in around the plant with composted horse manure. Each fall I have my lawn guys grind up the leaves from the many oak trees in my yard and spread them in this bed, then I top it off with a layer of horse manure. Slowly, I'm building a bed of workable soil for things to grow in, but it's taken 5 years. when I dug the hole for 'Wu', I filled it with horse manure. I'm anxious to see how she grows!

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9118305

I got mine in 2008 and it was a small plant. I'm happy with it's growth in 4 years, but I do have to move it to a different spot. It keeps getting frost and wind damage. The leaves are so big that the wind just whips them until there's damage :-(

Thumbnail by Rose1656

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9118615

Wow. That's impressive. I hope mine performs like that!
roseycats
Dayton, OH

May 10, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9118697

what happened to all the picture's?

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9119150

Rose, is that really Wu? Didn't know it was so upright. :)
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9119233

I hope it is! If not, I'm gonna have to have a talk with Gary and Jack!

Rose

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9123432

Yesterday I planted two additions to my 'Giants' garden. Both hosta varieties were acquired last year as tiny plugs, over-wintered in 4" pots and are now small starts. Let's hope they perform according to their descriptors:

'Komodo Dragon' (first pic) got an open space on the east side of the bed. It will surely be overshadowed by the nearby colocasia 'Giganteum Thailand' (just emerging, in pic two), but perhaps it will benefit from the shade as it gets started in this bed. When 'the Dragon' is big enough, the colocasia can go somewhere else.

'Great Expectations' has a place of honor in the front row because it's billed as a 'slow grower' - let's hope it fulfills MY expectations in my lifetime!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 14, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9123588

I bought 4 wu last year and they are upright but no babies yet.

Bellie
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9124760

Komodo Dragon is a fast grower. I got a mature division a couple years ago and it is already almost 4' wide, The scapes on it last year would be 5' tall if they weren't so top heavy and bend over.

Great Expectations is one of the slowest there is. Getting that one as a liner isn't the way to go for this one. You will be waiting a decade at least and then only see minimal growth. GE is best bought as multiple eyes in a pot and plant 4-5 of them together as a single clump. It also needs a lot of sun. The only other hosta I know that are as slow are Thunderbolt and Dream Queen.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9124822

Thunderbolt has really not been that slow for me. I planted it in 2006 and it's pretty impressive this year at 17 eyes. The last two years it added four new eyes each season. It was not tiny when I planted it, though. It probably had two eyes, but they weren't like "baby" eyes.

The slowest one in my garden, hands down, has been "My Cup of Tea". Oh, and Big Daddy, but that one is probably my fault because I forget to give it extra water.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9124825

HMMMMMM

I may need to rethink some of my choices. I have two 'Thunderbolt' and the 'Great Expectations' front and center. I'm too old to wait 10 years for a plant to mature. Thanks for the info!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9125243

Northeaster, I can't decide between Rino Hide or Thunderbolt. I was leaning toward Rino Hide because I thought Thunderbolt was so slow, but wow 17 eyes is very impressive! Is it slug resistant??
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9125250

Oh, absolutely...one of the best. Super thick leaves. Rhino hide looks great, too, andi wish i had room for it. Thunderbolt has a rep for being difficult so I was probably just lucky with that one.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9125600

Where do you have it planted, does it get plenty of water? Any sun?
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9125619

Very little direct sun. Most of my garden is in what I call bright shade or dappled sun. I wouldn't say Thunderbolt gets a lot of water, either...just kinda average. There is even a tree near it so it has root competition from that.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9125623

Wow, he sure does like something you are doing right? Think it's the fertilizer, maybe he is a heavy feeder. :)
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9125630

I don't fertilize, either!
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

May 16, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9125855

Virginiarose, my Rhino Hide wasn't slug resistant last summer at all whereas my small Thunderbolt was left untouched. If I were you I'd go with Thunderbolt but buy the largest you can get. I may buy two more T to add to the clump; I'm with Leawood..don't want to wait forever to see a mature T in my garden.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9126500

I know what you mean, I tried four times before I finally got a good size GE. I will start looking around, by now I know who has the big plants!
Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9134024

I had to show you this...I asked Rod Lysne if I could have some seeds from Jurassic Park to try winter sowing 4 or 5 years ago. I put this in a bed that kind of gets neglected and just saw it today! Had to take a picture of it. I'm hoping that it's not still in a pot, or I may have a problem getting it out of there.

Rose

Thumbnail by Rose1656

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9134082

Here's another view

Thumbnail by Rose1656

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9134106

Those are beautiful Rose!

irawon, I did order a Thunderbolt from Hornbakers, got a couple of their Iris also. :)

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9144404

I just found a large hosta called "Gentle Giant" - it was introduced by Sebright Gardens in Oregon (http://www.sebrightgardens.com/) and sounds wonderful - upright, blue, sun tolerant and a vigorous grower - just what I want in my 'Giants' Garden! I ordered one today.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9144428

I have seen it and it's slug resistant also, I just don't have room for it. :(
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

May 30, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9144520

Sigh. GG looks great but I'd have to start a new bed to incorporate that one. I'd also love to get 'Andrew'.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 30, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9144855

Irawan,

I will eventually buy Andrew because my SIL name is Andrew.

Bellie

This message was edited May 30, 2012 8:24 PM

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9145371

I bought Andrew recently and it is still small but I just love this little Hosta.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 30, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9145393

Hosta direct has them and really cheap. I am running out of room but keeps adding. I bought 12 from Mr wong.

Bellie

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9145406

I got mine from New Hampshire Hosta, it was just a plug. It's doing well though. I also bought three 'Twist of Lime' from Countryboys and put all three in the same pot, now they all have blooms! Also got Teeny Weeny bikini, sweet little mini. :)
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

May 31, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9145972

Leawood, I bought a mandevilla (pink) to try for the first time. I also bought a Passion Flower. I hope they both like lots of sun.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9145977

They should both do well in full sun! Post some pix...
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

May 31, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9146887

I will, once the vines grow a bit more. I bought them at Walmart. At $9.99 a plant I was willing to experiment. Glad to hear they both do well in full sun.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9149434

My "Gentle Giant" arrived today and I could not b e more impressed! It was packed carefully, in a 3' long ExpressMail triangular box and completely filled the box! Inside the box I found a perfect, two-eye specimen (their 'sample size') with lots of roots!

I let it soak for an hour in a 'welcome cocktail' of MiracleGro and then found a spot for it in my 'Giants' garden. I have a feeling I'll be moving it next year, to a better location, but for now, it should be happy.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9149552

Looking Good. :)

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9233465

August 7 - After a month of 100+ degree days, the garden has suffered. It seems like I water constantly, yet there is always something 'drooping'. I watered in my 'giants' bed over the weekend, but today things look dry so I'm setting hoses out to water now. Before watering, I took a look at the 'Giganteum Thailand' colocasia - I think it's bigger this year. The bloom spikes are almost ready to open.

I have two of these - one on each side of the bed. The walnut tree is starting to drop walnuts, so the leaves will probably look like lace soon.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9233557

Those look very good considering the heat. I would love to see the flowers on those, the leaves are huge!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 8, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9233854

I have this variety but the leaves are not as large as yours. .i bought mine on-line. Will you be posting the flowers.

Belle

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9234819

Here are a couple bloom photos for you Belle. Unfortunately, the blooms on the 'Giganteum Thailand' are not very spectacular.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 8, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9234897

I thank you for posting the flowers. there is one in front of one of DH doctors office and I was tempted to dig one of the babies!! the garden is being maintained by Mexicans. I noticed that the stalks has bluish hue. Is yours that color. Mine is medium green.

Bellie

This message was edited Aug 9, 2012 5:14 AM

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9234904

The stalks have a blueish cast to them. Mine have not produced any offspring.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9302929

It's the end of he season and frost in the last few days has turned many of my tender plants to dust, but, so far, the colocasia in the giants garden have been spared. On Saturday I plan to cut them down and dig the bulb to save for next year, so I decided to take one last photo before they are gone for the season.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 12, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9302944

I see few of this variety in some office buildings, i want one do you know where I can buy one?

thanks,

Belle

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9303088

Hi Belle!

I bought mine at VanBourgondein (www.kvbwholesale.com), but here are some other sources:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Colocasia-gigantea-Thailand-Giant-Super-Sized-Elephant-Ear/productinfo/5896#.UHgushi3dN0

http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com/Colocasia-gigantea--Thailand-Giant-strain_p_1802.html

http://www.eldontropicals.com/catalog/item/7318612/8002407.htm
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 12, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9303212

I thank you for the link. I ordered 2 varieties.

Belle

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9499827

Spring is here, and things are starting to emerge in my Giants garden!

Photo #1 'Gentle Giant'
Photo #2 'Jurassic Park'
Photo #3 'Komodo Dragon'
Photo #4 'Sum and Substance'

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9548366

The sleeping 'giants' are awake now, and starting to stretch and grow. We've had over ten inches of rain in the last two weeks (according to my unofficial rain gauge), cool days and almost chilly nights. The hostas love it! Things will start to warm up now and everything will grow like crazy.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9578748

Summer's here and my 'giants' are growing like crazy. I think I'm going to need to do some dividing, separating or expand the garden so there's room for everything.

I planted a couple 'Jack's Giant' colocasia in the bed (the big leaf in the upper right). I had them in urns in my garden last year, but the sun was too much for them. I hope they do better here. This one is overshadowing the 'Bressingham Blue' hostas and something may need to be moved.

'Empress Wu' is starting to grow and overshadow 'Great Expectations' so I guess it needs to find a new space.

"Frances Williams' was in another location, but got too much sun, so I moved it here and it seems much happier.

My 'Gigantium Thailand' colocasia are in the very back of the bed. They are just starting to poke up above the hostas.

'Jurassic Park' is now enormous, but seems dwarfed by all of the surrounding plants. 'Komodo Dragon' is holding its own beside the holly tree, next to the fence.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9578955

Looks like your "Giants" are living up to their name! Beautiful pictures!

Rose

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2014

Post #9747096

Very nice Leawood, thanks for sharing!

susan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America