My "Giants Garden"

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Several years ago I bought a "Jurassic Park" hosta and was a little discouraged by what I received and how it progressed (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/868583/), but by this spring (it's 3rd year in my garden), it had started to grow, so I moved it to a new location, to see if I could boost it's growth. I decided I'd devote this area of my garden to large plants, since I already had some sizable "Sum and Substance" hostas established.
Here's how the area looks today/

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I added several large leaf plants including a colocasia "Gigantea Thailand", which is supposed to get to 7' tall(!) - it's the large leaf in the center, next to "Jurassic Park".

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

To give a little perspective, here I am, standing next to the colocasia plant. (ooops - I forget DG doesn't recognize vertical photos).

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 4:34 PM

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Let's try this one

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Wow! That's some leaf.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Wow!

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Where did you get your Thailand Giant? In the tropics they can grow up to 20' tall. I have seen the bulbs online for as little as $12.00

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I bought mine from VanBourgondien - 3/$24 (wholesale). Only two grew for me, however, so I guess that makes them $12 each.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Not to stray too far from your beautiful hostas, but I ordered some Muscari, Crocus, and Narcissus bulbs from Van Bourgondien after seeing you post about using them awhile back. I hope to have a very pretty low maintenance bed next spring =)

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

LeawoodG I love the "big leaf" and throughly enjoy seeing your garden photos.
I also like the rock bench , kindof seems a "Jurasic period" look to the entire bed.
Alberta Ann

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I've ordered bulbs and plant material from VanBourgondien for almost 20 years. Generally, I'm happy with both the quality and prices they offer. I buy for myself and a friend, so the combined order qualifies for their wholesale prices.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

That's a beautiful garden! What zone is that Thailand giant hardy to? Maybe i could substitute with elephants ear plant instead

Wyoming, MN

Outlaw

Thailand Giant is an extraordinarily large elephant ear.

Gary

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

It's tropical (zone 8-10), but if you dig it shortly after the first frost, you can store it in your basement for the winter.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Haha! You learn something new every day!!! Now I'm looking.g at your zone redwood and it's not too different from mine. I think I'll have to try this plant out. Not a fan of overwintering bulbs but i may change my mind here.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Leawood, do these elephant ears need a lot of water? It was a good idea to plant them with the Hostas, looking good!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Alocasia and colocasia seem to like lots of water, so I give them a little more than the surrounding hostas.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Leawood. My biggest hosta right now is 'Dragons Eye'

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Outlaw, overwintering bulbs and plants is all a part of gardening in the Midwest. In the fall I dig my banana trees, colocasia and alocasia bulbs and bring them in to 'sleep' for the winter in a dark room in my basement. I also bring in the tropicals - brugmansia, bouganvillea, hibiscus and angel wing begonias to hibernate by the windows in the basement.

In the spring, they go outside and I dig up tulips to dry, sort and store in the basement for the summer - I guess you'd say I use my basement storeroom as my 'off season' garden. LOL.

Here's a pic of some of my bananas from last year (so far this year none of my trees have put out bloom spikes).

Oooops! I keep forgetting DG doesn't take the vertical pix from my files - sorry, I'm laying on my side.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 12:06 PM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Nice bananas Leawood! Are they edible? You must like the tropical stuff. :)

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I like all types of plants/flowers. I guess you might describe my style as similar to the Victorians, who worked to stretch the season and expand the climate zones. That's why you see palm trees in gardens in the Lake Como region of Italy, very close to the Swiss border.

I like to have 'different' plants and combinations that you would expect in Kansas.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Leawood you'd love my mom who has a dwarf Grapefruit, Meyer lemon, or maybe that one died? A kumquat, and... Oh.. I can't remember. Maybe a key lime? right in Syracuse ny! We won the cny "snow globe" last winter for most accumulation. She is a school teacher and takes them there for fall. I just shake my head. god love her, no fruit yet, but she likes em anyway.and the kids do too. I'll show her the banana picture so she can want a banana tree for Christmas! :)

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

My banana trees each put out several 'pups' in the summer. When I dig them in the fall, I end up with 3-4 times as many trees as I planted, so each year I give away several. If you think your mom would like one, I'll be happy to send it your way

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Those are beautiful Leawood! I like you Impatiens, very nice flower bed.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Those are awesome! For now I'll pass but I'll keep your offer in mind. :)

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I just plant annuals in this bed because I use it for tulips in the spring.

OOOPS. I don't plant them on their side, however. I keep forgetting about photos in DG.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2011 4:05 PM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

That's ok, I have learned to tilt to the right. Beautiful, I was going to order some tulips from the co-op. I want pink but don't know the name of any pink ones. Figured I would scroll the plantfiles and write down the pink ones and hopefully find one of them on the list. I want a mass planting like yours.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Look through the photos at the co-op group. Last year I uploaded pictures of all the varieties of tulips.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

OH shucks!! That will help a lot, thanks. :)

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Lovely!!!! I'd love to fill our ditch with tulips and daffodils. Can't decide what colors though....

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

"Pink Impression" is a lovely Darwin tulip that is late season - large waxy blooms on tall stems - I love it.

Another favorite is "Menton" - also a late season bloomer.

Its not really pink, but dark rose with orange flames, but "Princess Irene" is a favorite of mine. I have used it in my urns (forced in plastic pots in the ground over the winter, then placed in the urns in the spring) in the past and like it for its shorter stems and mid-season blooms - perfect for containers.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

That's amazing, I went to Yahoo coop and looked at the pictures that Frank posted and my favourite was' Pink Impression'. But they cancelled the offer or something. I was so mad. But I do want the early bloomers, I must get this over with before my husband breaks out the lawn mower! I had some red tulips this past year, I got them on sale at Walmart and then I left them in the pot too long and they rotted. :*( Anyway I like your urn looks a bit bigger than mine, but mine broke. Hopefully I will find a big pot before next spring. ' Princess Irene ' is what's in the picture? Nice, I will have to check on that one! If nothing else they do have 'Christmas Dream ' for .35cent a piece and I think they are very lovely.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

You can order the varieties that have been dropped in the tulip co-op if you order the full minimum quantity of the variety.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Oh, Ok. So I can still get them if I order 100? Not sure I want that many right now. But that is a good thing to know, thanks a lot!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

there is a coop offering pink impression - i plan to some

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Which coop is offering pink impression wha?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

dutchman or bleeks on the "other" site

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I did register with the other site but I forgot to bookmark it and now I cannot find it. I will look some more tomorrow.
Well I decided one co-op is enough for me, thanks anyway. :)

This message was edited Aug 7, 2011 9:15 PM

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Here's the latest pic of my colocasia 'Giganteum Thailand' - We had a severe thunderstorm and high winds on Friday that knocked most of the walnuts off the tree that shades this garden. Some of the leaves got broken in the hail of walnuts.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Well, you're still smiling, and your plants are still standing! I'm glad you didn't have more damage from the storm. We had a bunch of downbursts in our area Saturday with lots of broken tree limbs, downed trees, and power outages through Sunday. Surprisingly, there was no damage at our house.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.