-
AuthorContent
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8713363

OK, here's the new thread with one of my double pinks from the last growing season.
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1192060/

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8713372

[quote="chrissy100"]Snap cestrum. I have read that the pollen will fluff up if you remove the antlers and put them in in a closed container.
I haven't done it but you could experiment with that and see if it happens.[/quote]

A good one to try with the knightii pollen, Chrissy? Because almost every single one of my knightii crosses has knightii as the pod parent.
Mind you, I rather prefer to have the double as the pod parent but this is a good tip and worth trying with some of my other brugs.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8713373

[quote="chrissy100"]I read somewhere that you can mix a little pre boiled cooled to tepid water to the pollen to enhance pollination,just enough to be able to spread it on the stigma sticky patch. I will try that as an experiment with knightii as soon as I can.
I suggest experiments now everyone has a few brugs to work with, you can try that kind of thing on your whites (the whites do have colour in their backgrounds. ...[/quote]

Another good tip to try out, esp. with the overseas pollen.

Good reminder about the whites having colour in the background. Quite a few of the coloured doubles for example have a double white as a parent or grandparent.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 1:58 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8713375

Yes ...that tip was from a good breeder so it's worth it's weight in gold.
Lovely picture, can't wait until Spring.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8713381

Quite a few of the hybridisers on BGI, always wet the stigma so the pollen will attach...so that would be another way.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8713383

[quote="Seachanger"]I like the GB#2 crossing with the Dalai Lama X...BGI gives DL a great rap...they should be very compatable if all the best bits go through...fingers crossed..xxxx[/quote]

Dianne, I'm biased when it comes to Golden Butter: pretty much anything crossed with it excites me LOL But, yes, having a local with an overseas cross is doubly exciting :-)

I don't have many pics of the Pink Velvet X Dalai Lama cross but here is another ...

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 2:31 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8713386

[quote="Seachanger"]Quite a few of the hybridisers on BGI, always wet the stigma so the pollen will attach...so that would be another way.[/quote]

I'm definitely going to try this the next time I pollinate!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8713391

Yay ...wet is the way to go.
Lovely cestrum ...you must be thrilled.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8713403

Dalai Lama is an interesting brug because, although it's a single yellow, it has doubles on both sides--the famous double-yellow The Chief as the pollen donor, and the double white/cream Lexy/GoldenLady/Tutu on the maternal side. So one could hope for some more coloured doubles, esp. coloured yellows, in subsequent crosses.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 2:18 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8713404

Wow love the family tree !!!! very cool!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8713414

Jacayna is one of my favourites, cestrum...and your DL x PV looks like it.

Very cool tree...yes.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8713420

I've been experimenting with different ways of drawing the family trees--whatever method you use, it allows you to see the ancestry at a glance. Which I find very useful. (I just hope the copyright police don't smash down my door as those photos are not mine.)

Dianne, to my eye there's a lot of Ecuador Pink in my--oops, it's Pink Velvet x Dalai Lama, sorry about the confusion--seedling, with those vertical lines on the corolla. (Do they have a special name?)

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 2:31 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8713425

I think that those particular police would be very busy if they enforced that...
There might be a name for those lines but I haven't seen it...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8713426

I think that part is called a margin. So they are the margins perhaps.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8713431

[quote="Seachanger"]I think that those particular police would be very busy if they enforced that...[/quote]
OK, maybe not the police, but the photographers themselves could be pretty peeved!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8713432

I had a quick look around and my notes say margin but I think that is incorrect, my notes written way back so I may have been mixed up the margin probably relates to the darker colouring around bottom of the skirt.
I will see if I can find out what these are.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8713433

I've only heard of the margin used in relation to the leaf, so I'm in the dark here ...
But 'margin' generally means around the edge of something, and those vertical stripes on my seedling don't fit that description.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 2:46 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:53 PM

Post #8713443

Can't find a name but I know where I got the confusion from
http://ibrugs.com/Resources/HybridizingBrugmansia/BrugmansiaAnatomy.aspx
Before I understood I thought that last picture meant the stripes.
They may just be the "tube" (as a part of it).

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8713445

http://www.abads.org/members/anatomy.htm

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 24, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8713447

Lol snap ...so they are an extension of the corolla teeth?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 24, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8713448

Perhaps a question best asked over at BGI...?

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 24, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8713453

Completely off topic but what on earth?!
http://www.abads.org/abads/Anatomy/images/Copy_of_flower_position_upright.jpg
so do we have any upright-flowering brugs here??

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 25, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8713479

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/10012/#b

Here it is again, Lucas...my Old Apricot flowers in a similar way, the first few flowers at the top will be upward facing then they turn down...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 25, 2011
12:32 AM

Post #8713481

this one too
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/54044/
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8714653

The upward flowers are like GHA when he has lots of flowers. It may be that the aurea habit comes out in some plants like the above 'Bert ' a bit more than others. Dont know about the first pic.
I did have a cutting grown plant here from Chrissy, which may have been one that died in the frost last year. It did flower a few years ago and as Dianne says, the buds all stuck straight up and so did the flowers at first until they opened fully , then hung down. That was a noid cutting but looked like OA.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 25, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8715623

I think quite a few sit up before they open but the weight of the bloom pulls most of them down ...The earth Angel crosses seem to sit up pretty high and remain horizontal like GHA.
I am happy to say my competition seeds arrived today, wow all the way from Canada! quite a thrill to receive seeds from Canada, I can't even imagine them growing there and the poor growers having to keep them alive through a Canada Winter ???? wow is all I have to say!
So these are two of the darkest pink parents ...let's see what comes of those.
Lots of seeds to be planted as soon as the night temps creep up a bit.
I might buy some now these have come through ok. ^_^
Dianne have yours arrived yet ...
Jean you still have OA don't you?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 25, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8715645

Nope Chrissy, but if yours have, then mine won't be far away.

It's odd, but anything that I have had delivered from Canada, takes twice the time that the US takes..I wonder why?
I hope that we get at least one good one between us, though we will still have the genes...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 25, 2011
11:37 PM

Post #8715652

Chrissy, the apricot one I thought may have been OA was I think, one that didnt recover from last years frost. When it did flower ,it opened white then turned a lovely apricot.
Pic is of the flowers back in 2009 when it flowered.
It was marked as a noid cutting from you.
Very pretty one. I was amused at the way the long thin buds stood upright then the flowers, as you say, slowly hung down.
When your seeds arrive, please let me know which of the Arghya ones I sent as it looks like I forgot to write on one of the envelopes for Dianne.
Be nice to know what you each have , I didnt write it down either, so stupid me.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 26, 2011
12:33 AM

Post #8715663

Yes I will let you know Jean and thankyou again I hope I can make pretty babies for you.
Yes that looks like OA do you want some more of it in the Spring?
Mine survived the -5 C a few years back ...Wayne lost his mature one gosh I think it's because mine is growing in sand (the old sand pit) they don't like the cold and wet at the same time. Only guessing I, I may be wrong. Mine is well over a decade old, more like almost 15 years. It's roots are frost protected and it grows about 10ft from the bricks of my home (heat bank). Let me know anyway if you still want another try.
Dianne you should get your contest seeds pretty soon then it takes two/three days from my place to Vic probably quicker via the plane.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 26, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8716837

Thanks Chrissy, I would like to have OA again. It was so pretty with the white and the orange together. Is Maya our only variegated one in Aust ? I have a seedling here somewhere which has variegated Apricot Queen as a parent, but that variegation is green on green.
I want to try the cream and green as a contrast to all the green ones.
Going back to the heater, frosty here this morning.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 26, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8717715

Yes, every Aussie garden should have one Old Apricot.
Took a few photos of some brugs in a friend's garden, grown as cuttings from my own plants. This is Dr Seuss X, darker than it normally is in my garden because it's growing in shade.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 26, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8717721

Here is her Golden Butter, normally a much heavier flowerer than mine ever was but this year looking a little sickly (mites?) and so with relatively sparse flowers now. I could smell it in the middle of the day :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 26, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8717724

Of course I will send you some ...as well as a few other cuttings in the Spring. I just worked out that I have had Old Apricot since 1992.

The seeds have arrived Jean thanks so much ...I think they sound exciting ^_^ can't wait to find out what they will present us with.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 26, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8717735

Gosh GB looks a lot like Chloe ...I suppose the Aurea are all very similar, it's lovely cestrum.
The yellows are said to be a bit prone to things (as specially in Winter I suppose). Chloe is still going at about 12ft now though.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 26, 2011
11:29 PM

Post #8717760

The aureas do look very similar. All mine are susceptible to leaf damage from mites etc. I notice it even in the seedling crosses with aurea as pod/pollen parent, eg those with GHA or Butterbomb (one or both of those crosses, can't rightly remember), including the one with OA as pod parent. It's particularly noticeable in my garden, and has been since the number of brugs growing here went from a few to a lot!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 26, 2011
11:44 PM

Post #8717796

Its funny but down here, I find the aureas are the best for hardiness and lack of too many bug bites. Maybe they thrive more in the cool/cold
I have tiny little sluggies about 1/2 "long, that climb over everything including all over the greenhouses. You can see their tracks in the moisture. They are most likely what is feeding on the brugs at the moment. I notice that Elfin Pink, Musketeer, and Alphonse must be quite tasty. They have the most nibbles.
I dont have a great problem , just bites here and there. The full on bug attacks will come in the warm when they all wake up and see lunch growing around them. I have some Confidor systemic spray ready for the battle.
Wayne, I found that one of the PP's has a Y. Now I can watch it compete with "Giant " to see who will flower first.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 26, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8717813

cestrum those stripes you were talking about are called ribs ...just saw a reference to them and the breeder called them ribs.
See you learn something every day ^_^ .
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 26, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8717821

Ribs describes them perfectly!
Thanks, Chrissy.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 27, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8717828

My seeds have arrived from Canada...yippee.

They are SuperSpot x BQ Melon D'eau...
if I can get just one to grow I will be very pleased...
I am going to be very careful with these...what ever they need they will have..
Hope they aren't empty...
Whatever, it was very kind of Joelle to give them away and post them.

cestrum, if you want to see some really attractive ribs, have a look at the 3 sisters thread on BGI...gorgeous
That's what I like about my Ecuador pink x seedling...big bold ribs..

This is Joelle's pic of BQ Melon D'eau

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011 6:33 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 27, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8719569

You can expect to get a few empty corks with most seeds but it's unlikely that they'll all be empty, so I reckon you're on your way to some great seedlings, Dianne.

Could you post a link to that thread on BGI? Love some good ribs :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 27, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8719614

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/21345-sanguinea-x-mystic-fire-1/page__pid__261024#entry261024

I hope this works. I am not that good at doing links. I love the colors of these. Alan is doing terrific work with his brugs.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 27, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8719630

Thanks, Dianne Jean. They are lovely ... I haven't got a hope of growing them here, of course.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2011 10:51 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 27, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8719910

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/21481-three-sisters/

Jean's link is just as lovely.

These have been grown by Ludger as you will see...the colour in the rib is so intense...I just love it...
Jean,Colleen and I think Chrissy, have planted some of the Sangs...and they are doing well but I want to hold off a little longer.
The Sang cutting that I took is not dying but it hasn't put out any roots yet...so I don't know about it.

Hopefully I can purchase some seeds from Alan, he doesn't have any yet...what I like about them is their ability to flower so early as well as the gorgeous colours...

Talking about Maya as we were, I had a piece that I was trying to strike...it started out 20cms and just died back and back...now I have about 7cms and it has sent out a tiny leaf...no roots but the die back has stopped.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2011 1:52 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 27, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8719937

Extraordinary blooms, Dianne. But what are they, exactly? (Still some sanguinea cross?)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 27, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8720079

Sorry Cestrum, I didnt look at where the parentage comes in for those lovelies. Dianne may find it, but I am sure they are snaguinea crosses of some sort. Ludger has a lovely array of plants. I meant to put his name with the pics but put Alan by mistake. These are definitely Ludgers babies.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 27, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8720085

Yes, they are..cestrum
Ludger hasn't mentioned what the cross is, yet.

Among the posts, Allan mentions Mariechen, which is a pretty mauve/light purple,
that was bred by Ludger...he asks if it was used in the breeding...
Ludger hasn't replied yet.
I will let you know when he does.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2011 6:54 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 27, 2011
10:48 PM

Post #8720250

I am oh so happy.
I have roots forming on a long tendril sanguinea cutting.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 27, 2011
11:55 PM

Post #8720296

Congrats Lucas. I will cross fingers for you to succeed.
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
1:01 AM

Post #8720325

Jean, the flowers on your link were Sanguinea x Mystic Fire 1...it was in the heading...
Lovely aren't they.

Is it the red and yellow one Lucas?...long tendrils...oh boy...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 28, 2011
1:20 AM

Post #8720331

Yeah, the classic red and yellow, but much less vivid than my others.
Tendrils are about 3x longer though!
The flower is also Much longer and narrower in form and has more exposed green at the base of the corolla.
It does have however, the unfortunate tendency for the corolla to fail to break through the calyx during development, so it is crunched up inside it and deformed, something that I have almost never seen on my others. Appears less vigorous too.
Do you happen to have a closeup pic of flower on that old Geelong plant by any chance, Dianne?

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 28, 2011
1:41 AM

Post #8720335

I really like this sanguinea form, it's just *soo* vivid:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdv_graupe/3382496974/

beautiful.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
1:55 AM

Post #8720337

Here they are, Lucas.
The actual colour is a little more red.. nothing like the vivid red and yellow in your link though..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 28, 2011
2:12 AM

Post #8720347

Thanks for that, nice one. :)
Hopefully the cutting strikes for you, they can take a rather long time.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
2:14 AM

Post #8720348

Another...still not as red as the actual colour.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
2:15 AM

Post #8720349

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering about the time factor...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8721539

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/21345-sanguinea-x-mystic-fire-1/page__st__20

This link is the 2nd page of Jean's link...have a look at the final colour of the flowers, magnificent.
That's a genuine purple.
Even Alan wants some pollen...
How they can change...

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 9:08 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 28, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8721587

Thanks for doing that link Dianne. I think I was on a different page somewhere.
Isnt that a fantastic color. I really want one of those. I think its the bright colors that attract me to the sangs etc, besides the cold hardiness.

I have tiny buds coming on Alphonse, so I hope they stay on and dont get too cold then fall off.
BB is powering up for another flush, along with GHA. I will start fertilising next month. They have all done really well with none since early autumn.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8721613

Dana posted this photo after you gave us the link, Jean...good thing you did or we might have missed this beauty...
It is the bright colour isn't it, that's so attractive.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 28, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8721729

Yes Dianne. As one comment was, its the closest thing to a blue brug so far.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8721944

Isn't the purple one lovely?

makes my FFA look pretty pale (because it is) but here it is starting up in Winter lol.
I can't get up close because it's so tall, but look at the drop in the skirts,must try to get a better pic of it somehow.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8721950

6ft fence under it ...another bloom has dropped it's skirt before opening too.
So unlike Twilight time who drops skirts in the heat FFA drops them in the cooler times (Frosty even ), but we have had some sun for a change and what a difference some sun makes.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8721958

Maya is almost blooming though the cool weather has almost ruined the leaves, I do love it's stripy calyx.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8721964

fingers crossed for a nice Spring everyone ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 28, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8721979

Chrissy, my FFA cutting finally started shooting up, pushed its way thru the galangal bed and surrounding brug seedlings, about 2m high--then got blasted by the frost. I'm sure it's not dead, just a temporary setback, but what a shame! Still, I'm pretty sure it *will* flower for the first time this coming growing season.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8721999

Go baby go ...once it starts to bloom it is pretty reliable in it's flushes. Very interesting to watch the different shades in it, as it can be anywhere from pale ivory to deep gold with almost orange inner skirts, I am very interested to see how it performs up QLD way. Your colours are always richer .
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 28, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8722010

Yes, I'm *rather* keen to see the colour of its blooms too :-)
Will be nice to have a non-pink double flower ... gosh, how quickly one gets jaded LOL

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 12:25 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8722125

jaded? ...not me, but I am obsessive about them.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8722254

Here is my Fire Fighter Angel...it took a while to get roots but over the last couple of months it has taken off...I will put it in the ground in Spring...IT'S THE TALLEST ONE IN THE POT.
There is a lot of activity going on at the top which isn't very clear in the pic.
It has Y'd, so flowers might not be too far away.
I wonder how it will colour up in my cooler weather..
Jean, do you have FFA, how does it grow for you?

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 3:23 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 28, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8722277

It looks very healthy, Dianne. We should be able to compare its blooms across three states this coming growing season.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 28, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8722300

Yes Dianne, I do have a cutting of FFA. It was very slow to start shooting then sort of just grew without any fantastic spurt. This year it has looked good through the winter and is doing a lot better. I hope to see a Y later in spring.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 28, 2011

Post #8722307

Hey don't forget me over here Cestrum. I have FFA as well. Hopefully I will get flowers this season too. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8722326

There you go Chrissy, we all have one, you have been generous...now this coming Summer you will be able to see how it grows and flowers in 3 other states.

I think that this is one of yours or Waynes pics.
If I can get that depth of colour I will be one happy grower.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8722330

I can't wait to see how they go ...well I got up on the third step to reach up as high as I could to take this pic, FFA is looking a little cold stressed but considering the weather took off most of the leaves and the awful damage from the Hail I have to say that it's one tough Brug, may be a bit tall for you is about the only thing I would complain about, this is one for a standard Alley tree (just a reminder it tri Y's from the trunk cutting ). I have found that even the above y cuttings are very tall before blooming.
Well I can't get up on the ladder, I chickened out so this will have to do.
Like Jack's bean stalk!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8722332

That is my picture (the one you are showing) in the heat ...this is the one I would love to get close to but I am scared of heights ^_^

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 4:38 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
10:37 PM

Post #8722334

Stay down, that looks awfully high...we know how beautiful it is...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8722339

Trying to figure out how to get the pollen ...might need to get hubby up there to take the blooms off in the Spring before they open, these ones snuck up on me while I was busy. The first flush was about 6/7 ft so I hope you get them at that height before they really take off.
Dianne yours looks like it's an above the Y cutting so you will get blooms in the Spring I think (Not sure how cold you are down there) The trunk cuttings are very recognizable for their very heavily toothed huge leaves. The above the Y leaves are not anything very remarkable but nice and mite free here.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 28, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8722344

[quote="ctmorris"]Hey don't forget me over here Cestrum. I have FFA as well. Hopefully I will get flowers this season too. Colleen[/quote]
Sorry, that should be four states: SA, VIC, NSW, Qld :-)

[quote="77sunset"]Yes Dianne, I do have a cutting of FFA. It was very slow to start shooting then sort of just grew without any fantastic spurt. This year it has looked good through the winter and is doing a lot better. I hope to see a Y later in spring.
Jean. [/quote]
Yes, that's how mine seems to be as well ... until the frost got it.

[quote="chrissy100"]Trying to figure out how to get the pollen ...might need to get hubby up there to take the blooms off in the Spring .[/quote]
Ah no, you don't want either of you up there! But one of those extendible pruners could be really useful. I've used mine for this purpose.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 4:02 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 28, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8722364

I bought one of those pruners last Summer, cestrum...it's a beauty...so handy.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8722374

I have a pruner that reaches over 4ft and even on tip toes with arms all the way up I can't get any where near it, what kind do you mean ? like the fruit picking ones?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 28, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8722375

ok like these?
http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/product.asp?pID=760&cID=183
edited to say that would work.
don't know what hubby would say about the price ...I think he would rather use the ladder. *giggle*

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 5:29 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 28, 2011
11:45 PM

Post #8722383

Mine's a lot longer than 4ft, maybe almost 4m when fully extended. (But you mightn't be able to reach the cord at that length!) Can't remember exactly how much it cost but it wasn't a lot--got it from Aldi, so you'd have to wait until it's available again. Or just look for a cheaper one from any garden supply shop.

Ouch: I've just seen the price of those Fiskars pruners--$176! Much too much for simply cutting off flowers. Mine cost nothing like that ...

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 4:48 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 28, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8722384

All of you please stay off any ladders. If necessary , look for a younger person to do the job. Cant have ladies coming off ladders the hard way.
We are getting a variety of brugs going in our 4 eastern states now.
In a year or two we will have a collection of lovely Aussie bred brugs with the genes of the overseas ones in their ancestry.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 29, 2011
12:00 AM

Post #8722390

Here they are, a terrible pic but it will give you the gist of what they look like. They extend to about 3m and to that you can add about another 2m if you hold your arms up as high as you can, although they're unwieldy when fully extended.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 29, 2011
12:56 AM

Post #8722419

That would reach I think :) thanks must check it out.
yes Jean I am really thrilled about our progress.

I think everyone has done such a great job.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8725897

Here's a cross that didn't make it. Which is a shame, because the parents were both my double pinks.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8725903

Dr Seuss X, this time in my garden. These blooms are on a branch that's pushed its way past the protective canopy and has been distorted by frost.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8725980

Sssssshhhhhh, I'm whispering very quietly... Chrissy I went out to check on FFA yesterday afternoon ans found him doing well at the back of some of the others. He is about 4'high now and has a teeny tiny bud.
I'm whispering because I dont want to frighten it and make it fall off. It still may fall as its pretty cold still. There is just a smidgeon of a Y forming where the bud is.
I am going to have to do some pruning down there later in spring as two of the brugs are growing nearly horizontal to get out from behind the bigger boys.
Not too much frost and extreme cold so far this year, so none of the total devastation of last year.
I am pleased with the way most have come back though.
Mrs Bucket is still here, but very reluctant to do anything. Maybe I could get the Queen to visit. She certainly come out then if shes like her namesake.
I am going to have to remove the shadecloth over the back brugs because they have grown right up to push on it. Hubby will help me lift it higher to about 10 foot. That should be enough as I am intending to put some of the taller ones in the ground where they are.

Wayne, I see a small Y starting on one of the PP plant . About time as they have been very slow.

Lucas , I looked at my sang seeds and there staring at me was a sturdy little fellow with his two leaves. I saw shoots the other day, but all the others are just thinking about standing up. This one wanted to see whats going on.
They are all in those peat pots in coir & perlite.
The sang cuttings too , are looking well except one is a bit floppy now. I hope he straightens himself up and doesnt rot .
I must get out and check on all the rest. I tend to just glance around when its cold and wet.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 30, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8726389

Photos of the baby Sang, please Jean...would it be the first one on here?
Where are you growing them, in your plastic double SH?
What about yours Colleen?

I wasn't going to mention it, because I thought that they would fall off, but my FFA, which Y'd about a month ago, has minute buds on it too...maybe they like this weather Jean,

I know that it's early but I fed my yearling Brugs this morning, they are all growing very quickly.
These are the ones that are in pots in a sheltered position, including cuttings that are there..
They don't get any weather damage in that situation.
I am looking at them now and there isn't a yellow leaf anywhere.
These are from my first imported seeds, mostly Charleston x Angel's Flight or Charleston x Joli
Can't wait...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8726395

I can't wait to see *your* seedlings either, Dianne LOL
With Charleston as a pod parent, I reckon you're bound to get some doubles. And maybe some lovely singles too ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 30, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8726554

Here's my 9 vulsa seedlings. 2 are a bit slower but they're getting there. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 30, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8726608

Fingers crossed, cestrum...
Just saw LBG pic again on BGI...this one is growing in England... it's lovely...I think we all have some LBG seedlings, Yippee

Those seedlings look terrific, Colleen...I wonder what treasures are in there.
Did you grow yours outside? or did you start them inside?
That potting mix looks interesting too...like a smorgasboard...are you sticking with your vermiculite?
Lots to learn about these seeds..
You were all brave starting them off in Winter...I wasn't game enough.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8726623

I will have to get the camera out and get a pic of the sang. Hope it doesnt frighten the dear little thing.
Dianne, I have some Charleston crosses too. They are getting quite big now. must get pics of them too.
Now where, did I put them ? I have babies and teenagers everywhere here.
Yes, the sangs are in the mini greenhouse inside the large one. Nice and warm in there today with the sun out. All my seeds and cuttings are in there. i will slowly move them out as the weather warms.
Love those vulsa seedlings Colleen. I must look for some seed of them too.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8726664

Jean, there are still some Vulsa x Sang seeds left in the seed bank..have you had any seeds in the last 3 months...if not, you are able to get some...
Look in the Regular Brug Seeds...in the US bank.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011

Post #8726674

Dianne, I will have to wait as I did get those Mustafa crosses from there.
Here are some pics I just went out to get.
This is the baby sang . You can see a bit more green in the background, they are sangs to but not standing up as yet.
Looks a bit dull as the lens was getting fogged in the warm air in there.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:28 PM

Post #8726675

Lucas, if you are out there. Look at the sang cuttings . The smaller on to the left in the green pot is the one that had roots.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2011 4:36 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8726677

Color Point x Charleston , planted march 2010.. now about 3'high

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:30 PM

Post #8726678

Lagenbuscher Garten x Charleston , same time as above.

Those holes are not bugs, but the bits and pieces that drop from the cypress seem to go right through the leaves

This message was edited Jul 31, 2011 4:37 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8726679

One of the arborea seedlings , also around 3' high. Slower growing at first. planted oct 2009.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8726680

the first Y on Waynes 'Giant'. a 3 way first one then very quickly another just above.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8726683

Pink Panther has finally decided to grow and has a Y.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8726692

Exciting news, esp. about those cold-clime brugs.
Does this mean they could flower well within a year?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8726700

I would hope so Cestrum, but the way my brugs behave down here, anything goes. They grow well but are very slow to Y and flower
I am hoping things will be better with these cold climate fellows.
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

July 30, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8726714

Great, they look good Jean.
My seedlings look similar Colleen.
nice work.
I has a thought that it may have been better to sow them in v.late summer, early Autumn to make full advantage of the cooler seasons, but oh well I guess it's just wait and see now.
I found a sang seedling growing down the side of the house just before, lol.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

July 30, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8726719

It's great to think of these cold-clime cultivars being grown now in the colder parts of the country, as it's a bit depressing to think of us all growing the same brugs.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

July 30, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8726730

Lucas, I still have some sang seeds to sow in the warmer weather. Be interesting to compare how they do.
Remember , it stays cold here a lot longer . It will be around Oct/Nov before any real warmth is here.
Jean.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2011 5:26 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

July 31, 2011
12:41 AM

Post #8726748

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]It's great to think of these cold-clime cultivars being grown now in the colder parts of the country, as it's a bit depressing to think of us all growing the same brugs.[/quote]

I agree totally cestrum, now we can branch out into all of the Brugmansia types.

Jean, those Sang cuttings and babies are going great guns by the look of them and the OS plants are too..
Looks as though the European Brugs can handle the cold pretty well.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

July 31, 2011
12:59 AM

Post #8726750

Here's my poor frosted Bucks Fizz. So gallant, flowering. Sammy wants a pat. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 1, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8730457

Have a look at the Aussie Arboria on the Brug thread...BGI too.
8mnths to flower for Allan...
How long do they take here?...
Hi Jean, your's wouldn't be far off now...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 1, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8730535

I saw it Dianne. I just hope I see something like that this season.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 1, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8730614

I'm guessing that Sammy already gets plenty of pats :-)
Your BF is amazing, Colleen: so frosted, so small, and yet with all those buds! Have they fallen off?

Could be that the cold-clime brugs take longer here than in England to flower because of our hotter/harsher summers, even in the cooler parts of Australia. But probably still faster than the warm ones ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8731352

This tiny albino seedling is the fourth one in this batch of Ecuador Pink x Big Floppy Apricot seedlings, which seems a high number. The only variegated seedling I got was also from a BFA cross (sadly, it died)--shame that I didn't manage to get a variegated seedling (instead of 4 albinos) from this batch.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8731373

Yes the V.Brug is the Holy Grail and I think most of the babies die from the V.Parent, so I think it's a matter of growing out lots if you are that keen. In our climate I think they may struggle a bit.
My Maya has not grown all that much really compared to other Brugs but that might suit some gardeners (compact growth I mean )
It has started flushing quite regularly though and is just putting out more today, the little new leaves are starting to pop out again, I just hope Mr Frost stays away ...we are said to have heat (25C tomorrow) and above the 20's for a few days, so we may get an early Spring to make up for the prolonged one last year. My lilac Iochroma is budding up ...the Coral one is still naked though.

Here is Maya this arvo. Very pale but as this is the first winter flush I don't know if she turns colour in the cooler temps or not. I do love the stripey calyx.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8731395

The Arborea should bloom quite quickly, mine have just had a few blooms that were shriveled off in the frost but more are coming along, Wayne's seedling bloomed quite quickly at quite a short height. Mine at about 2ft approx.
I hope the cool climate seedlings won't mind the coming warmth I have moved them into fairly heavy shade for tomorrow's 25C.
In England that is considered hot.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 1, 2011
11:49 PM

Post #8731416

I have a bud on my Arborea seedling. No buds on the sangs yet though. Cestrum, 4 of the buds fell off Bucks Fizz and the flower still hasn't come out but has darkened in colour. It might get there. There's lots of regrowth on the ones that got hit by Jack. The weather has been beautiful, T-shirt weather, but there's supposed to be a cold front coming across from WA with 15C as maximums. Could be more frosts to come yet. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
12:06 AM

Post #8731430

How tall is your Arborea Colleen ?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
12:20 AM

Post #8731434

I wonder if your BF flower might turn out to be that really dark orange? I have three buds on my BF too, but it's under a canopy and so escaped the frost.

Here is Aztec Gold, flaring open in the dusk. The colour is darker than shown in my washed-out photo. AG has been an absolute trouper thru winter, almost never without flowers.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 2, 2011
12:26 AM

Post #8731438

Chrissy, Arborea is about 4' high. I have 2 about the same size. The one with the bud isn't the one that I thought was a cutting. Cestrum, when I planted BF out into the garden he had a beautiful dark gold flower, not orange though. Time will tell. Colleen
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 2, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8731500

Hi to all, can any one tell me what the colour is, the flowers are about 4 day's old,so I do not know if it is apricot or ?

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 2, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8731504

here is a single one

Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8733037

Hi Gena gosh I don't know where all of our garden Brug nuts are, probably out there planting seeds in the sudden warm spell.
I am sorry to say I can't tell you what your pretty brug is, the colour is very pretty peach on my screen, do you know where it came from?
So nice to see another Brugmansia in someone's garden.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8733042

We're here Chrissy but possibly, like me, simply can't identify the brug ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8733083

What colour do you think that is everyone ?
It's similar to the colour Alphonse Mucha sometimes goes but we all know Brugs can look so different from one month to the next, perhaps if Gena knows where it came from would help us, she has not asked for an ID she has asked for the colour, I know from experience the camera does not always show the correct shade that your eye sees.
Hopefully she knows where it came from.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 2, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8733333

Can't tell from the photo ... colour depends on both the camera and the computer screen.
Whoever is viewing it with the naked eye is best placed to tell.
Best way to do it is to compare with images of plants known to be apricot and pink ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 2, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8733373

It looks peachy to me too Gena. Was fluffing around with the brugs this morning and the other Arborea that Wayne sent me has 3 little buds on it. Come on , hurry up Sanguinea or you'll miss the boat. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8733401

Colleen if they bloom just collect the pollen and save it until the Sanguinea bloom.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 2, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8733471

Thanks Chrissy but can you tell me how to and what to store it in etc. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8733489

Here you go Colleen
http://ibrugs.com/Resources/iBrugsKnowledgeCenter/tabid/200/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/6/categoryId/3/How-To-Collect-And-Store-Pollen.aspx

You will have to experiment a bit with this I guess, I have no experience with trying to pollinate the cold group. Good luck with it.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 2, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8733531

Definitely peach at this stage, Gena...are those peach flowers from the bush with the white flowers that we can see in the background?

Great link Chrissy...I never get over there any more...

I ordered some of those little phials...If I get the hang of it, then I won't need so many Brugs...in theory...lol

Is it phials or vials or either?

This message was edited Aug 3, 2011 5:46 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 3, 2011
12:02 AM

Post #8733543

Do you mean microcentrifuge tubes: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=microcentrifuge%20tubes&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1188&bih=540

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
12:18 AM

Post #8733556

Yes cestrum, I ordered them when we were discussing and ordering the name tags from BGI...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 3, 2011
12:21 AM

Post #8733561

You'll need some silica gel too, then ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 3, 2011
12:30 AM

Post #8733566

i have to look for silica gel tomorrow when shopping. I am hoping I can get it if I can find a craft store. i may have to try eBay otherwise.
I bought some of the little vials from BGI, Dianne. Very cheap and very handy too.
Now all I need is brug flowers. Hhmmmmm. I may have to get a flower from GHA or BB and show the rest what they are supposed to be doing.
After all, I do feed the little B**s so I expect something in return.
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
1:07 AM

Post #8733593

I've had a jar of silica crystals for years, I used to use it for drying flowers and whenever I buy shoes the tiny packet in the shoes adds to my jar...I have had it for so long, I forget where I bought it originally.
It's blue to start with, then pink as it absorbs the moisture..when I finish with it, it goes into a warm oven until it goes back to blue.

Back in the dim distant past, there was a red biscuit tin that had a little container of the crystals on the top to keep your bikkies fresh..when It turned pink, into the oven until the blue returned...same principal. It was Brockhoffs, I remember the dry biscuits on the tin...Salada, Thin Captain, etc

Jean, your GHA has tiny buds, all of a sudden it took off and is now half as tall as mine and making Y's.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 3, 2011
3:51 AM

Post #8733674

Thank you all so much.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 3, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8733682

Yes you are right it is a bite deeper in real life and in the photo , but they are still lovely, here is anther one, and my pink is going to flower soon.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 3, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8733718

One thing up here is my Brug do not seed, the one way to propagate is by cutting, so I am trying to pollen one flower white with Apricot just to see if I get a seed pods.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 3, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8734794

Dianne, now I want silica, I think of all those little packets from shoes etc, that I threw out . If only one could see into the future and save these things.
Watch out for GHA now . He will take off if he's like his parent. Keep an eye on the growth and let me know if he grows a lot more erect than the others.
I find the trunk is so much stronger and the Ys come very quickly making a taller canopy.
BB on the other hand , puts out a longer Y before branching making him so much wider.
It is so interesting to see how the same plant performs in different places .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8735777

I thought that I would show everyone how differently my Brugs survived the Winter.

This first one is Bruce's Pink...it's in an open position.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011

Post #8735783

Then there are the Aureas, mine and Jean's GHA with Old Apricot behind them...it's really ratty this year.
Mine is the taller one, that is branching from the bottom as well as the top.
GHA is on the left...the cold didn't bother them...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8735785

This is Buck's Fizz, almost totally yellow, but every branch has at least 10 white buds. and they are growing even though they are white..it is laden...weird.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8735793

Pink Panther is without a doubt the best in the cold for me, same last year.
On the right you can see the almost 2 yr old plants including "Topsy", they lost their leaves early.
The Sugar Pink x Zab seedlings were taller than the others and didn't lose a leaf...
They are at the back and hard to see.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 3, 2011

Post #8735803

Wow Dianne they are doing well. Most of the buds have fallen off my BF but everything has new growth. Fingers crossed we don't get any harsh frosts. My seeds have just arrived from BGI. Here's the names.

B. Candida enchanted double white X B. aurea Vixen

B. candida Chesa X B. candida Dorthea

B. candida Delta Dawn X B. aurea Karoline

B. candida Hawaiian double white X B. Candida L'amour 5 seeds planted, 5 were empty.

B. aurea Vixen X B. candida Pink Perfection

We'll see what we get from that lot. Hope there's some doubles. Colleen

This message was edited Aug 5, 2011 3:04 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8735805

The last pic is of the European Brugs still in pots and in a sheltered position...
There are some cuttings in amongst them too.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 3, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8735818

There are some good ones in there, Colleen...
I was curious about that Hawaiian double white, I was wondering if it was Knightii...quite possible, I suppose...I've been meaning to ask Alistair...
Lots with Aureas in them...goody..
I don't have any of those Brugs in my seeds...
So that's great.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 3, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8735831

Dianne, great to see GHA somewhere else growing well. You can see the same more upright growth on your area. Must be a trait of aureas.
Makes more room underneath for the preschoolers .
When I took branches off GHA a couple of years ago, they flowered nearly straight away once roots formed.
BB and GHA are both going mad with buds again and I see a whitish bud on Alphonse Mucha.

Wayne, if you are around, I said that your 'Giant' had made a Y , well there is a bud there too.
Lucas, 3 more little sangs. I hope they all survive. If not I will still have plenty of seeds to try later.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 3, 2011
11:59 PM

Post #8735848

I don't think Hawaiian Double White is the same as Knightii ...of course I could be wrong but I remember seeing a sort of elongated second skirt and it just looked different on Brenda Delph's site

Here is the BGI gallery link for the pics, they don't look like my Knightii blooms but then I don't live in Hawaii.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/331-hawaiian-double-white/

This message was edited Aug 4, 2011 6:00 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 4, 2011
12:45 AM

Post #8735855

Not going by that photo, Chrissy...the skirt is far longer...

Which is great for Colleen...
Good chance of a double in that combination...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 4, 2011
1:43 AM

Post #8735865

Wow, great collection Dianne.
Very interesting to see the differences in cold tolerances, responses to climates etc. in the different Brugs, some do seem to cope much better than others though they seem to generally all recover so they are pretty tough plants aren't they. The GHA seems especially robust.

Colleen, nice seed haul there.
Also hopefully with our prized vulsa seedlings we can get some plants with one tone colour all the way up the flower tube. :) your seedlings in the pics you posted before are looking great, excellent viability in those seeds!
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 4, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8735973

NO one bush apricot, the white is another bush.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 5, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8739344

Great pictures everyone , nice seed collection colleen, love your garden Gena.

Well here come the clouds again ...darn it we need sun for the seedlings ...oh well.
So here is another bloom from the giant wax with the 7 inner skirts opening better with the warm day yesterday

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 5, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8739346

Hoping the sun comes back for just a few days ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8739350

Maya changed her colour but goes darker in the summer

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8739353

Fire Fighter Angel finishing up a Winter flush on almost naked damaged branches.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8739364

Thank you Chrissy, my pink started to flower last night, more to come hooray. I have not got the names for my white apricot and pink, but have for the new ones.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8739365

Hear it is again, love them all.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8739373

my new plants

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8739376

and

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8739379

one more there is 4 new one so happy

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 5, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8739403

the other one

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 5, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8739431

Very pretty garden Gena,
Could we have the names of your Brugs, can't read the tickets...

Chrissy, I do hope that the tall cutting you sent me is FFA, can't wait to see it flower..it has buds.
What was the seedling on the other thread?
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 5, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8739456

The 4 new one are lemon gold, Hot pink, Flore Plena, and Variegated.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 5, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8739477

Gena, did you purchase your Brugs from an online company called Shaman Australis Botanicals?

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 5, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8739505

I wonder if the variegate is different to Maya?
Nice selection Gena.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 6, 2011
2:06 AM

Post #8739697

yes got from Shaman Australia

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 6, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8740761

Gena, they will look lovely in your garden, don't forget to keep us posted on their progress..pics please.

Back in April, I decided to trim my Sugar Pink x Zabaglione seedlings because they were getting very tall, they were over 8ft at that stage..I thought that by the time they y'd, they would be at least 10 ft tall.

I cut them to about 4'6" and as they grew they branched out from just below the cut...in no time at all,
they were back to 6' only now they weren't straight up they were a good standard shape and over the last couple of weeks they have put on a lot of growth and yesterday I noticed that 2 of them had y'd...and they have Y'd on both of the branches, which I thought was interesting...

From all that I've read, I know that cutting them back had nothing to do with them making the Y...but it has made them more manageable and probably 4' shorter..so I'm glad that I pruned them.

If you look closely at the bottom of the pic you can see how they branched out..

There are lots of little buds, so I might have a flower soon...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 6, 2011
10:48 PM

Post #8741202

The plants know that spring isn't far off! Alas, we still have some very cold nights to get thru first, although it's been a glorious 25 degrees here today and I was quite sweaty after walking the dog this morning.
Here's Bucks Fizz today. It doesn't have that magnificent deep colouring that I got *once* before, but still pretty.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 6, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8741206

OT but I couldn't resist taking a photo of this plant stand, bought from Bunnings three or so years ago: what rubbish! I've moved all the plants off it of course, but some of them fell off when parts of the stand collapsed. My advice: don't waste your money.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 6, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8741208

Finally, a seedpod on my Dr Seuss X plant, posted just because I think this plant sets the smallest seedpods of all my brugs, even smaller than those on Aztec Gold, which are pretty small. (BTW, that's a chopstick.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 7, 2011
1:25 AM

Post #8741292

Yes seedlings tend to " bush out " if they lose their leader Dianne, very interesting that you have buds ...I suppose it may have something to do with light ...who knows, you know how some plants are taller in more shade.
gena some of those plants of yours are named incorrectly but they are lovely none the less ...you have a nice little collection to start. Your garden setting is a very nice home for your brugs ...more later it's time for hubby's desert.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 7, 2011
1:45 AM

Post #8741294

Gina Hot Pink is likely to be Equador Pink, your Flore Plena is likely to be Knightii (double white), the variegated is likely to be Maya as we were told that it is the only one of that kind of variegated type here in Australia and last the lemon is likely to be Aztec Gold (not sure on that one though). many Brugs here in Australia are wrongly named thus people buy two or three of the same plants thinking they are different. As I said nice ones any way. Love to see pics when they bloom I am sure you will love them.

Buck's Fizz is a lovely Brug cestrum isn't it. Aztec Gold has grown on me too ...I like the shape and the flounce on it.
You must be pleased with the pod on Dr S it looks slightly uneven pollination, but it may change with warmer weather.
Enjoy your evening every one, we have had a big storm through here this arvo .
Cold ...Hail, wind, rain yep back to Winter.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 7, 2011
2:09 AM

Post #8741298

So we only have the one variegate here? (that is at least in general circulation, I'm sure there'd be some odd seedlings and spontaneous sports here and there).
I thought we had Peaches and Cream also, seems it may well just be Maya mislabelled lol.
I think we are all guilty of acquiring the same plant on multiple occasions under different names from different places hoping for something new
(and also pinching that odd brug piece from the burbs, say an OA -hanging on to public property of course, surely ;) - thinking it might be a different clone to the -suspiciously extremely similar- one at home, only to grow it out and find that nope, it's the same lol)
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 7, 2011
2:47 AM

Post #8741316

Thank you.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8742618

I know what you mean, with your plant stand, cestrum...I don't buy anything metal anymore unless it's
old. I don't mind a bit of rust...but anything that you buy these days seems to disintegrate within a very short time.Even if you paint them with rust proof paint.
That colouring in Bucks Fizz is very pretty.

Jean, your GHA has Y'd, with 2 big strong Y's...funny how some Y, 3 ways and some 2.

All too true ,Lucas...but it's worth a try...lol...just in case.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 7, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8742647

You should have buds quickly on GHA Dianne. When I took a piece similar to the one I sent , It bloomed very quickly .
I have a small bud on my Bucks Fizz. I did think it was on FF at first but after getting in underneath and checking which trunk belongs to who, its Bucks Fizz.
BB is in flower again as is GHA. Today if it stays fine, the shadecloth comes off and they will all see the sky. . At least until I get the poles in for the new shadecloth.
I will mixing up my molasses brew next week so they will all be getting lots of fertiliser. from now on.
I must take a pic of BB before I prune a bit off later as he looks odd with all those long branches and the new trunk as well up to 8'high, all in a small 6"pot.
I bet there are lots of roots going into the ground.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8742781

Disintegration is the word, Dianne--I reckon I have plastic mini-greenhouses that have outlasted that metal plant stand. The result of everything being made in China I guess, except that it wasn't exactly cheap. Lesson learned.

Jean, your (Perfect Harmony x The Chief) x Glasshouse Angel seeds have begun sprouting! They have a long road ahead of them (avoiding wilt is the first test) but they're on their way :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8742791

[quote="chrissy100"]
... You must be pleased with the pod on Dr S it looks slightly uneven pollination, but it may change with warmer weather ...[/quote]

Uneven pollination? How so, Chrissy?
PS This is the 2nd pod on that Dr Seuss X brug.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 8:48 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 7, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8743007

Cestrum, thats great news with the seeds. What is it you are growing them in ? They seem to like it.
I have mine in a mix of perlite and coir from those solid coir blocks you soak
I usually have a bucket full for various uses.
I agree about those newer stands too. I have a lot of the old ones from various garage sales . The plastic coating has worn and broken off and I never bother to paint them. They just last forever. I wish I could find more, but these days, people are either keeping them or doing them up as expensive antiques.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8743046

No plastic coating on that stand--just metal. Obviously the cheapest sort available! Best thing I had was a set of three-tier galvanised metal shelves that I think I bought from some company listed in the back of a gardening magazine. No idea where such a thing would be available today, whether the metal would be of the same quality, or how much it might cost. (I bet my old one was made in Australia, too ...)

Jean, I just grow my seeds in ordinary seedling mix. That batch is in the sunroom, in a heated propagator with a vented lid. 10 days from sowing to sprouting. I have seeds sown weeks earlier that have yet to germinate, so these were keen!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8743063

Look at this cell of Golden Butter seedlings, growing on the heatpad in the sunroom. The first seedling germinated in about three weeks but now, 5 weeks later, 2 more seeds are sprouting. That still leaves 40% (4 seeds) that have not yet germinated.
But they're so healthy looking. (That brown stuff is cinnamon, freshly ground this morning and sprinkled on all the pots in the sunroom to deter gnats. They definitely don't like it.)

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 10:57 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 7, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8743116

All looking good Cestrum. Mine dont get any heat at all . They live out in the mini greenhouse inside the large greenhouse. Any sun warms it up. They seem to survive , but will be a lot slower than yours.
Maybe it makes them stronger, having to survive the cold.
I did try some on top of the frig, but they didnt do any better than the ones outside.
i guess if something wants to grow. it will.
My big boys outside are proof that once they grow they mostly all do really well.
There are a couple of wimps out there, but they will pick up in the warm later.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8743128

Jean, you could be right about them growing stronger when started outside. What I've found is that, when transferring my seedlings outside, it's best to place them in the mini-greenhouse inside the large greenhouse as you describe. The seedlings placed directly in the large greenhouse seem to struggle and some of them die.

Ultimately, though, it's still two years on average before they flower ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 7, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8743262

Lovely to see all of those seeds popping, I have only started the cool climate ones from Lucas and they are doing ok , I noticed they drooped a little on our 26C day but they recovered as soon as it cooled down, it will be interesting come Summer.

Poor BB has holes all over the blooms from the hail, but there was not huge damage, we may be getting Frost after this change so my warm climate seeds will not go out yet.

About the pods, I am no expert but once when I had a picture of pods like those cestrum (meaning uneven surface- not very smooth) Alistair said it was caused by uneven fertilization. I still got seeds but but not the same sort of quantity. I know it does not sound right because the corks form anyway, but most of us have experienced overblown empty corks, the empty ones seem to expand to a bigger size than the fertilized ones, I can almost tell at a glance when a cork is filled with a seed or not by the colour (dark) and size, they even feel different. Sometimes there may even seem to be a seed present as you look and can see a seed case but if it feels funny (lightish) press gently and make sure the case is full. Sometimes they are empty too, they just pop and collapse.

Seeds are funny little things, when I had to go away last year there was a tray of seedlings I had not had the chance to plant out, then when I came home it was a mad race to hospitals and getting things ready for my brother to come come here ...while all that was happening those same seedlings sat neglected in the polystyrene box where they still grew, but of course not by a lot, at least a ten months later three more seedlings popped up. That cross was all from one pod Butter Bomb x Glass House Angel.
Riddle me that ! ...I have promised them the very best of care this coming season, one thing is sure they sure will be tough little Brugs.
About seeds started outside ...I too think that makes them tougher, but it's just my opinion, I also think the ones sprouted outside and in the right conditions catch up to and even surpass the ones started inside.
We all have different conditions so this only applies to my conditions as experienced.
Lucas we do have a green on green variegation, I did have a v.one in seedling form but it did not survive, they say that is like winning a lottery to get one to grow to maturity, I think we are all working on that ^_^

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8743301

Wow that's fast, those seeds of Jean's cestrum...I would love to start planting, but I know that they will sit...you will probably be the first to flower too...lucky you...

I think about putting them in a fish tank with a grow light, I have one...but they would probably suffer a setback, when I take them out...so I will watch everyone else's with interest..

It's hard Jean, isn't it...
Just wait till our cold varieties start growing...lol

Clementine is putting out a lot of buds at the moment and Knightii in it's pot in a sheltered position is about to flower...I wonder if it will put out a few single flowers again...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8743313

Sadly, there's no guarantee that these seedlings will flower earlier than those from seed sown later. But sowing them inside in the colder months allows me to stagger the sowing over weeks and months instead of trying to sow them all (soaking, peeling, resoaking, sowing, and writing all the labels and noting the details in my gardening diary) at once. Same applies to the subsequent potting on. Plus, you discover which seeds are viable early on instead of weeks or months later.

PS If I had a fishtank with grow lights, I would definitely use it. How can you resist trying it out LOL

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 12:41 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 7, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8743328

Hopefully we will have a mild Spring because if that 26C comes back again too soon it may be already too hot to make crosses, if it does get too hot too quickly cross the blooms in the shaded parts of the plants, that gives them more of a chance.
I forgot to ask colleen which of her seeds (imported ) were empty ?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8743348

Er, I'm assuming there are actually no fish in that tank of yours, Dianne ...?

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 12:51 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

August 7, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8743358

Chrissy it was enchanted dbl white x vixen and hawaiian dbl white x candida only 5 viable seeds in each pack. As I said that's plenty to grow on anyway. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8743364

No cestrum, they are in a half wine barrel now...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8743370

Oh no, that barrel would be perfect for planting a brug in LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8743373

Don't laugh but that was my original intent...then I got sick of cleaning the fish..
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 7, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8743438

I've often admired those wall-sized fishtanks you might see in a designer home--sometimes the tank functions as a wall. But then I think about the cleaning involved--even if I had the space and could afford the tank, that would put me off.

Meanwhile, you can't always judge a seedling's growth by what's visible above ground. This little seedling is about as large as those Golden Butter ones in the cell, but look at the roots on it--clearly that's where it's been directing its energy.

On the other hand, it's not much to show for 4 months of growth ...

But it did prove that those seeds from my double-pink were viable. That's the double-pink brug shown in the first message of this thread.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2011 1:47 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 7, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8743519

I just repotted my prized vulsas, they already had roots coming out the bottom of the pots!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2011

Post #8743543

Lucas, are you using bottom heat too?...you must be in advance of everyone...I must go back and check when all this Vulsa activity started...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

August 7, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8743547

The seeds were sprouted inside on top of an aquarium and ASAP post-germination moved out into the great outdoors where they are now growing vigorously.
I also have some sang seed that germinated very well in mid-Winter outside (just sow in moist soil in pot and forget about) here in Melbourne a few weeks ago, so the above extra effort was quite likely unnecessary and they germinate in cold. lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 7, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8743553

Lucas, sounds like I should just put a pot outside with some of those sang seeds and see what they do.
The ones in the greenhouse are standing up well.
I must get some of the vulsa later and see how they do here.
I have just been doing a chop chop on the iochromas and have some pieces ready to send off along with GHA bits.
I really chopped the iochromas as they were definitely way too tall . It never worried the purple before , so I hope they all grow back the same way.
GHA has two trunks in the pot and both are as big as each other with flowers.
Your bits are from above one of the Ys.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 7, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8743554

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]

Chrissy, I soaked the seeds in Superthrive and, of the 25 sown, about 22 sprouted (although a couple ended up headless--see next post). Could be that these are simply very viable seeds.[/quote]

cestrum...did you soak the seeds that Jean gave you too?

Thanks Lucas...I might plant my Vulsa x Sangs now...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 8, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8745417

I first soaked them in water with a little hydrogen peroxide (to help kill any fungus), then switched to water with a little Superthrive.
But I think these seeds were just quick germinators ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 8, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8745476

Last night it hovered just above zero and tonight should be the same, which is such a shame because the days are beautiful (sunny and in the early 20s). If it weren't for the nights, the brugs would be powering away.

Here's Firefighter Angel with a fresh spurt of green leaves already (after being frosted earlier in winter).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 9, 2011
1:41 AM

Post #8745945

My pink is flowering lovely

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 9, 2011
1:42 AM

Post #8745946

close up

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 9, 2011
2:17 AM

Post #8745948

Really lovely,Gena...you are doing well...keep posting...
You will love your new ones when they flower.
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 9, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8746007

Very pretty brugs Gena ...don't forget they are at their most fragrant at night :)

I hope you get a bloom on Fire Fighter Angel soon cestrum and hope it won't be winter stressed due to the cold it does like to be up there nice and tall, in a way that is a shame because I would love to see it close up.
I think we may get Frost tonight unless the rain they promised comes back.
Oh well it is still Winter after all, at least here.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 10, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8749669

201 posts, so I thought that I would start a new thread...

Come and see my $12 Sanguinea.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1209314/#post_8749658
Dianne.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America