PNW Roundup Sept 24, 2011 - a fun gathering of DG friends

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

This will be the official thread for the Round up scheduled for Saturday SEPT 24 hosted by Gwendalou and Lynn Phillips

Date: Sat SEPT 24

Place: Lynn and Joe's house 26217 137th St Ct E, Buckley, WA 98321

Time: 11ish to noonish

What to bring: Potluck dish and a bottle of wine for wine tasting event. If you don't drink, then don't bring wine, as that would not be fair to you. Also, bring any plants or seeds or any garden item to share. I have some really cute wind chimes from Pony and Summerkid that i got one year.

Who: Any DG member, their hubby, friends, dogs (the more the merrier!)

NOTE THE NEW DATE IS SEPT 24

Please post or Dmail me RSVP, also if you need accommodations and when you plan to arrive.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR SEPT 24 IT WILL BE A FUN TIME FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

You can spend the night Saturday, as we have plenty of sleeping areas, and huge lawn and driveway for camping. You can come Friday and spend the night if you choose. My yard is loaded with solar lights that can only be enjoyed as dusk evolves into darkness. I think it is one of the most magical part of my gardens.

We will have a campfire , and the hot tub, sauna, and massage chairs are available for your enjoyment.

Please come and enjoy the fellowship of some great DG members.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2011 1:37 PM

This message was edited Aug 5, 2011 1:37 PM

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Deleted message - no longer applicable.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2011 12:52 AM

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

message deleted was for august timing

This message was edited Sep 19, 2011 4:08 PM

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

:( We'll miss you guys!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

PLESE NOTE THAT THE DATE HAS BEEN CHANGED TO SEPT 24. THE OLD GOAT FARM THING IS STILL IN AUG.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I will update this as I hear from you. Welcome to our home for the day (or weekend) of fun, food, drink, and fellowship. Sept is a good time to plant, so bring your starts to share. Of course, that is not a requirement, so don't feel bad if you don't bring anything. Your presence is the most important part of the event. Don't forget, we are dog and family friendly, so bring them with you.

RSVPS:
Yes, will or might attend
Gwendalou
PNWMountaingirl & Ray
Rarejem & Colton
Summerkid
Soferdig & Karen
Suzybell
Growin
Springcolor
Murmur
Azarina & Carl

Lynn & Joe & friends:
Linda DeRoche & Irma
Jim & Gail
Joyce
Stephanie & Ed
Carolyn & Paul
Gail & Bob
Heidi Weidman

This message was edited Aug 7, 2011 10:54 PM

This message was edited Aug 26, 2011 8:50 AM

This message was edited Sep 14, 2011 9:22 PM

This message was edited Sep 15, 2011 7:50 PM

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 10:26 AM

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Lynn, honey punkin, I am chagrined that you are feeling poorly & disappointed that we won't see each other soon. But now I have the added anticipation of another month, so that is good!

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

We might be able to make. My sons birthday is the 28th and his bday party is tentatively planned for that weekend. Will know more when it's closer to the date.
Thanks for the invite though.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Lynn, I know it's early but will you be doing a separate plant thread or should we post what we have on this thread? I HAVE to start whacking on this place but will save anything someone had interest in, like irises or filipendula or strawberry plants or vinca or landscape roses or ...

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I sadly won't be able to make it unless I have a sudden ability to get ahead in the classes I am taking. I seem to be very slow at writing papers since I tend to follow a winding research trail and like to ponder things before deciding what to say. I will be there at the Roundup gathering in spirit. I do read the PNW forum now and then for a break, and to look at beautiful garden photos. Thanks to everyone for posting them. I will be kind of out of gardening commission for until January 2013, when I (hopefully) will graduate. A funny thing.... my classes are all on-line and participating in this forum helped me understand the discussion board format in my class.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

We will miss you, but we sure understand. We will be with you in spirit, also.

BTW, how is your son doing?

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

We will have a wine glass contest. Bring your favorite (cheap) wine glass (or cheap acrylic, like mine). We will vote for the best decorated, most unusual, biggest, funniest, most colorful, x-rated, wine glasses. Help me think of some other categories. Prizes!!! I will also provide bead supplies, and we can each make our own wine charm.
I am also going to have a "name my gardens" contest. I will have some signs to paint the winning names. For example, I have one garden planted by a big old tree that looks like a teapot, so I call that one my "teapot garden" . Another one, I call it my "propane tank" garden. It obviously needs a new name. I need some creative ideas!

A couple of guys from our Corvair Club has invited themselves to our party. So bring your hubbies, boyfriends.

Please keep me posted with the RSVP's. Thanks

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh, so much fun Lynn! Shall we plan to do any weeding or help with any other projects since you'll have so many hands on deck?

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

No way. But thank you for the generous offer. BUT, when looking at the gardens, if you see a weed, please feel free to yank it out and drop it on the ground! Believe me, there are plenty! But I do not want my guests to work, just have fun. Painting my signs will be a HUGE help, cuz I am not artistic. ANd, if we don't do it, it is no big deal.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I love to paint words. My masterpiece is a sign reading "DEATH AWAITS" that hangs where I can see it first thing in the morning (or afternoon, depending on the day) and be motivated to get up.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am riding my motorcycle down from AK so if I don't hit a moose, run out of gas in the middle of nowhere, get buried in snow on some mountain pass, or break down I will be there. My bike wouldn't start last week and nobody in AK works on BMW, so I am taking up my book and get er done. Please pray for me to figure out what is wrong.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Will do. Safe traveling.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

It is time to start thinking about the Sept Roundup. I am looking forward to seeing old and new friends again. Sofer, YOU BE SAFE!!!! If you can't get your bike started, let me know. We have a friend who is a retired airline pilot who rides a BMW, and maybe he can help you out. And he is on a retainer for a gazillionaire, and flies to AK quite often. He and his wife are planning to attend the Roundup party, so you will get a chance to meet him.

Joey is building a fire pit in the back yard, it should be finished by next week. I hope that many of you can spend the night, so you can enjoy the new fire pit and my solar lights. Summerkid, I am glad you like to paint signs. Everyone can "name" my garden areas and either paint them or Summerkid gets the honors.

On a sad note, Joey's Mom, Sally, may not be with us much longer. For her sake, I hope it is soon. She had a massive stroke over a week ago, and there is no chance for recovery. She cannot swallow, so the hospice nurse said no food or water, as she would choke to death. She is home with us, but it is hard to see her lay there suffering. Please pray for her to make her journey from this world soon.

I will post more later as I can.

See you in September.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Aw Lynn ... my heart goes out to all of you. Is she aware of you & that you are caring steadfastly for her?

Lake Stevens, WA

Lynn
So sorry to here about Sally. My thoughts are wih you.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you everyone. We really don't know what she is aware of. She tries to speak, but can't. She squeezes our hand, and her foot shakes, but that is all. There sure has been a lot of us experiencing losses this past year or two.

We have a new member from Vancouver, BC , Growin (Mike) who is planning to attend the RUp. Yeah! Welcome Mike.

Any other new DG'ers are welcome to attend!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am glad for Sally to have the chance to move on. Her life has been full. Sorry for you and Joey.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Lynn, I'm saying prayers for Sally (and you and Joey too). It's very hard to watch someone suffer.

I'm still iffy on whether I can attend on the 24th. I have a friend coming to stay from Australia and that's the day before she leaves. It will depend on what she wants to do. At one time she had mentioned going down to Portland. It might work out that we'd be returning from Portland on the 24th and could stop by. I'll just have to play it by ear and let you know closer to the time. It sounds like a really fun time!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

OK Everyone, start gearing up for the Sept Roundup! Please let me know who and how many in your party is coming so I can plan for it.

Yesterday, I went to Shipwreck Beads and bought a bunch of beads so we can make our wine charms. That place is amazingly huge. I bought some charms to put on them, but if you have a special one, just bring it.

Summerkid, (and the rest of you talented artists), I am looking forward to getting my garden signs painted. My DIL and GK's painted me some for my bday, and they are so darn cute. They painted them on old farmhouse boards.

Don't forget to bring a decorated wine glass for the contest. I have lots of prizes!

Joey finished the fire pit, it is cool. The outdoor shower is completed, hot tub has fresh clean water. Lots of new solar lights are up (we look like Zoo Lights here).

BRING YOUR FRIENDS AND LET'S HAVE FUN!!!

Here is a picture of 2 of the GK's enjoying the new outdoor shower.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh man, we are sooo missing all the fun. I know you will take lots of pics.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

But Jan, good to hear you. I trust you have weathered the storm OK? Seems like there were all ways to get hurt by this one.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

We are counting our blessings. Could have been much worse. Praying for all those still w/o power and or flooding.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Lynn, so sorry but I'll be missing the September event. We have a wedding on Orcas Island same day (close neighbor friend). As Jan says, take lots of pictures. Also wishing a peaceful passing for Sally, I enjoyed chatting with her last spring. Deb

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Well, *I* just dodged a wedding bullet myself. Jack, who gets so tired of attending social events on his own, had asked me to come back to Illinois that weekend for a childhood friend's daughter's wedding, and with heavy heart I was figuring I really should for his sake. A wedding of someone I've never met who has probably planned the best suburban redneck shindig evah? And missing a Roundup at the same time? Whole thing gave me a headache this last week. But just this morning Jack emailed to say that this was a dumb idea and he figured the wedding was really a waste of our precious times together & instead he is coming out for my birthday in October.

BIG SIGH OF RELIEF. Looking for a wine glass. Planning to pour something in it & ponder the decorating thereof.

Kosk, are you reading this thread? Maybe we could carpool. I'm still hoping for the company of my friend Lisa.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Lynn, your outdoor shower is cool! Looks like the grandkids are having a ball. Of course it's easy to have fun at your place!

Still don't know whether I'll be able to make it. I won't know til last minute, but will try. Your parties are always so much fun! And of course I want to see everyone.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Gwen, please try! I'll be so disappointed to miss you otherwise.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I apologize for not being online to update you all, but we have been busy with life/death. Sally passed away last week, after having a massive stroke. We brought her home to spend her final days surrounded by family. She is at peace now. Everyone has gone home, and Joey & I have the house to ourselves, the first in 10 years. Gosh, I hope he will still like me!!!

Gwen, my cohost , has out of town guest coming next week. Is there anyone who would like to step in and help me with the Roundup? I am paying for everything, I just need a little help in planning/getting ready. I tire so easily, especially under stress!. HELP!!!!

Here is our new fire pit

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I am now Lynn's right-handedness.
BEWARE.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

YEP< BEWARE, you may have way too much fun. Plan to spend the night, if possible. You have to see the light show and enjoy the campfire and hot tub under the stars.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Now, I definitely am sorry I won't be there.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Is this a good time (after the heat wave is over) to divide some of my perennials to share?

I have a really pretty grass that has made a few babies. Is anyone interested in getting some of these?

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I also have this sedum I can divide. ALso, I have some black Mondo grass, Any takers?

I have TONS of seeds.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I went to Shipwreck Beads and bought these for us to make our wine charms. If you want something fancier, bring your own charm. I have a big box of beads, wires, pliers, and tweezers. It will be fun and easy to do. Don't forget to bring your wine glass, there will be prizes.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Forgot the picture.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

A close up picture of some of the beads.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.