Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vermicomposting: snails in my bin; should i start over?

Communities > Forums > Vermicomposting
bookmark
Forum: VermicompostingReplies: 5, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8714020

i haven't seen much about snails in the history. i am worried about my teeny-tiny snails becoming big leaf-eating snails in the garden. i have quite a few lately, in a bin that is about one year old. i get the occasional centipede but they do not seem to be increasing in numbers.

just wondering if i should start over? do all bins eventually get random critters?

thanks,
donna
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 18, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8935047

No.. do not start over. Just give them some beer in a small shallow container and they will leave this world happy!
mraider3
Helena, MT

December 19, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8935190

dito on the beer...just place some in a jar lid and leave it sit on the surface. Are you sure these are snails or are they slugs...beer should work for either one, Did you find these under a cover of some kind? Slugs like worms will hide from the light, but their favorite location is at the surface as long as its dark and moist. Slugs or snails should not be much of a pest in the garden unless you use mulches and keep the surface damp around your plants. Even then, Rhapsody's suggestion will work to control slugs. I have never heard of snails being a garden pest, much less invade worm binds, but anythings possible. We recently had a discussion about frogs in a worm bin. Now that's a problem I would like to have.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 19, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8935597

I have slugs in my outside composter but none in the composter is the garage. I have a real problem with snails being a garden pest. They just love to eat my plants.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8936923

should i leave the snails tiny little pretzels, too?
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 25, 2011
12:37 AM

Post #8942053

If the pretzels have lots of salt I do not see why not. Either way they will be fat, full and dead!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Vermicomposting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vermicomposting anyone? margaran 74 Jan 31, 2008 9:09 PM
vermicomposting margaran 214 May 2, 2008 1:26 PM
Vermicomposting-2 margaran 92 Feb 15, 2008 2:36 AM
Welcome to the new Vermicomposting forum! Terry 16 Jul 21, 2013 6:32 PM
wrigglers? kooger 19 Jul 16, 2008 2:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America