Photo by Melody

Article: Lotus for Containers: Who knew exotic could be so EASY?: Leveling a water holding container

Communities > Forums > Article: Lotus for Containers: Who knew exotic could be so EASY?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lotus for Containers: Who knew exotic could be so EASY?Replies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cazadero
Cazadero, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8714633

The easist way to level a container that is to hold water is to first "rough it in" by eye.

DON'T DIG THE HOLE QUITE AS DEEP AS THE CONTAINER IS HIGH. The undisturbed ground underneath the container will help keep it from sinking. Use a board across the top to make sure the rim is above the surrounding soil level.

Now begin to fill the container with water - be sure that the rim stays above ground level.
A standing water surface is always level so just make sure that the water is evenly below the rim all the way around. This is very easy to see as the container nears full. (Works to see if a birdbath is level, too).

An occasional glance at the rim to water distance will also show if the container needs tweaking if it settles over time.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8714779

Great tips -- thank you very much!

I wasn't sure if my containers would be too heavy to "tweak" once filled them with soil & water to start with, so I tried to set them as level as possible to start with.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lotus for Containers: Who knew exotic could be so EASY? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A bud!! critterologist 4 Jul 22, 2011 8:02 PM
Fragrant Lotus flowers ColibriGardener 3 Jul 24, 2011 6:48 AM
instead of pots dorothyroeder 1 Jul 25, 2011 10:34 AM
No holes container klstuart 1 Jun 28, 2012 11:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America