-
AuthorContent
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8714676

im really pleased with how my tropicals are doing this summer..had a slight late start..coolish weather..but..
summers here !!!
question.. has anyone else had their thai giant pup? i didnt think it did..
i have 4 thai giant plants.. all about same size now.. on their 7/8 leaf..and they are getting nice sized!!!!
one has 3 pups..one has 2.. others none have showed.. ..yet..
also my jacks giants are pupping too..
i read on bananas.org that even portodora pups..?? is that right lariann???
i guess were talking colocasia... alocasia respectively...
also.. anyone have experience that the pupping took energy and/or growth from mother plant?
sure like others to post on their experiences..
thanks
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8715295

777 The Alocasia that you are referring to; is correctly termed an Alocasia x "Portora".

If you want to see your A. and C. get huge keep one for size and let the others have the Offsets. You can have a number of plants and also have one or two(you were talking about that did not have offsets) that will be "by themselves getting huge"!

This A.Borneo Giant picture was taken almost a month ago! The base of the trunk is about 9'' in diameter now. In this picture, which was two leaves ago, it was 7'-3'' tall.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 9:26 PM

Thumbnail by homer1958
Click the image for an enlarged view.

peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8715639

I have a question along this line as well. Once the pups are removed how long will it take for them to form tubers? I have several that I seperated and potted up but I'm wondering if they will survive the winter - will they come back from the roots?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2011
4:12 AM

Post #8715747

Peony,

Just bring them into the garage,especially if you have windows! I overwintered lots of Alocasias last year in the garage. VERY little water though. Only enough to keep the soil between moist/dry. I've found that placing a few plants in a very small pot for their size, helps to keep the soil as stated above. You do not want the soil WET or they are toast. Place the pots in the windows and you should be good. Feel free to ask me questions. I have plenty of pictures of Alocasias bought and grown in the garage this past year.

Thumbnail by homer1958

LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8715957

Yes, the Alocasia x portora does pup, but the number of pups varies with the selection. I have a number of different Portoras (greens, reds, and in between); some pup extensively and others pup hardly at all. The selection out on the market does produce a few pups. Generally, unless the pups attain significant size themselves, they should not influence the size of the mother plant. Remember, though, that there is a difference between a pup and an offset. One is actually attached to the mother plant and the other is formed as a cormel that is only temporarily connected to the mother via a thin "umbilical cord". The ones that are actually attached, like a branch, will influence how large the parent plant gets.
LariAnn
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8716300

And there my dear friends, is your definitive answer!

LariAnn do you know the botanical reason why some Alocasias have pups and offsets, and others only have either or?
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8716360

The ones I separated were just growing out of the same corm that formed the mother plant. The mother plant got smaller each year surrounded by smallish new growths. I hope now that they are separated they will all get huge. The first year the mother plant was very large.

Thanks, Homer for the help. I have so many things that I try to preserve during the week or so of freezing temps that I generally let the alocasias and the colocasias die back. I have lost (and replaced) a couple that I really like, so I'll be changing my routine this winter.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8716441

You are quite welcome! Zone 9-A would be easy to overwinter in the ground this coming winter; will you be mulching that week or so?
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8716482

Usually I just let them die back but I will be trying some different strategies. A temp. greenhouse, for one thing, if my HOA doesn't lose it. lol
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8716566

It's definitely a genetic thing, but in the case of Portora, the genes for both are present. I know that because A. gageana (which produces both) will set some seeds that produce A. odora type plants (which produce only one). Progeny of a cross with A. odora as one parent will yield some that do both and some that do one or the other.

LariAnn
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8717029

much thanks to all..
great to see others with similar interest..and questions on this...
i see one of your portodora's i got from u lari ann is pupping.. i havent dug down today ..we had a HUGE rain storm.. YEA>.
but i will check if pup is pupping..or an offset..
that makes alot of sense of the two reproducing mechinisms...
my 2 largest thai giants have sent shoots off the mother plant. they look very much like small branches
off the base of the mother plant...the largest has 3 offshoots..
so??? question.. when the offshoots get a couple leaves..should i sever them from mother plant?
my reasoning ..following lari ann's comment..is i want the biggest thai giant i can get..
? does this reasoning make sense?
i am thrilled that im ending up with so many offshoots/pups !!!!
yea..more plants!!!!
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8719632

If the mother plant is in the ground, the pupping will be less of a deterrent to maximum growth of the mother than if the mother is confined to a pot. I have a large Xanthosoma in a pot and it has pupped like crazy, but still the mother is of significant size. Were it in the ground, the mother would be humongous and the pups would not have affected the growth of the mother to any degree. Ample fertilization goes a long way towards keeping the mother growing to maximum size. I've not had much experience with the Thai Giant, however, so it may have different needs than the plants I am most familiar with.

LariAnn
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8721570

much thanks lari ann..
i do a regular weekly(weak solution) fertilizing of all my plants..they seem to do best with
it..
i wont bother during growing season then with the pups/sideplants till its time to pull everything up and winter store...
weve had unusually humid weather so far this summer.. this week..almost every day.rain.. couple were really heavy..
i think my tropicals think they are in the tropics.. LOL
i have my EE in good compost rich..well drained soil..
ive started using a composted shredded bark in my soil mix..
pots and out in gardens.. everything seems to like it.. :)
this is my 1st yr with xanthosomas.. and im hooked.. plus they have a very thick pronounced spear/aroid
shape..great look!!!
thanks again to all...
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8721928

Show us the pictures 777!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 28, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8722080

When you get your Xanthosomas up like this then you can consider yourself accomplished ;O)

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8722357

Man, that would be sweet to have an overstory like that. I would like some dappled shade in my garden.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8725522

wow tropicbreeze..are those your plants????
point taken homer.. i got to get out and take pics where plants are now..
this morning is nice day.. rain later..but hey we have sun right now!!! :)
im sure those xanthosomas in your pic are in tropic area..but if i could get that kind of growth here..
wow!!!! :)
? to lari ann..?
whats the largest portodora you have raised so far? i know youre in florida.. sigh.. and great
humidity and heat.. im guessing nites too..which help in fast growth..??
thanks all.. hope having a super summer..so far..
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 30, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8725847

Unfortunately that's not mine. When I saw that photo I printed a copy, took it to my Xanthosoma and said, "Some day my son, you will be like this. Now I don't want to seem too pushy but just do it within MY LIFETIME!" LOL.

Still early days:

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8726117

lol ..tropicalbreeze..
yea..well if our kids dont have us pushing them to achieve they wont reach new heights..!!!!
:)
ya..im very pleased with my EE.. this yr truely is odd.. lol.. warm/hot(not untypical) but the humidity..wow
for utah.. so all my tropicals are just singin..and singin.. :)
one of my bananas.musa saba..was a larger pup from guy on bananas.org.. its huge..
i know sabas grow fast..and can get big..YEA!!!
i think most of my EE are pupping/sideshoots.. thus the posted question here ..
u keep putting out that parental advice to that xanthosoma.. :)
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8726373

X. Sagittifolium at side yard; hoping for 9-10' this year!

Thumbnail by homer1958

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8726385

very cool homer!!! jealous of your longer growing season ya have...
my sagittfoliums are doing well.. but about 1/2 your size.. sigh..
i know..pics please.. recharging camera battery tonite..if we have good weather tomorrow.its pic day
in the yard tomorrow.. :)
do you keep your xanthosomas pretty well watered? ive found with mine they like the heavy watering (i have well drained soil)
but dont seem to like as much fertilizing as i give the nanners...
U???
your plants truely must be talk of your neighbourhood homer!!!! way to go...
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8726472

You gotta play the cards your'e dealt 777! I could wish I lived in Zone 10-11...
See what I mean. I have to play 7-B. The longer you are at it, the better you will be at S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G your zone. You will be one of the best in Utah in no time!!! Probably are now.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8726880

The largest Portora I've grown can be viewed at the following link:

http://www.aroidiaresearch.org/portora2.htm

The plant speaks for itself.

LariAnn
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8727882

wow lari ann that is a super plants!!!! i doubt i'll ever get mine that size ..since i have to pull them out in oct/nov to
overwinter but wow!!!
thanks for the pic..
hoping that pics im listing will work..
guess i'll find out..
i took these today..

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8727900

sigh..it did work..lol.
heres some pics of all those pups off my thai giant

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777

peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8728886

That's a beaut, LariAnn! Mine never get half that size and I know it's something I'm doing, but practice makes perfect, right?

Pups are good, 777, the more plants the merrier. lol
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8729374

One of the tricks of growing a huge Portora (applies to many other Ears as well) is that they are heavy feeders. If you plant them in the ground, be sure plenty of nutrients are available either from organic supplements or from time-release fertilizer during the warm growing season. They also like well drained soil but plenty of moisture.

LariAnn
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8729764

thanks lari ann.. i have really good soil..and well drained..
this yr with my watering routine..and all the rain were getting.. lol..no worries there..
im thinking as you say..planting them in the ground...thus more soil around them..more area for fertilizer to disperse..(my take on your
writting).. is as ive been thinking on my bananas as well..which are heavy feeders.. i think i need to feed more often.. but with a lower dose of
nutrients..????
ive always erred on side of weaker fertilizer..but applied more often..
ive never burned a plant.. yet.. LOL
if i do start over feeding the plants..i know they will start showing it.. they certainly look great now..but like to see some
serious growth..
plus with all this rain weve had..ive wondered if its washed away alot of the nutrients ive been giving them...???
am i off on this thinking??? overthining this..?? LOL
im still waiting for homer to tell me where he gets his radioactive fertilizer... :) lol
thank lari ann..and all..
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8729816

Superthrive... Miracle Gro... chicken poo!
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8729855

Drew took a page out of my playbook - except for the chicken poo! I use Nutricote instead (a.k.a. Dynamite) - blows the plants right out of the soil!

LariAnn
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8730182

And is this elixer of the gods only available to licensed nursery growers or can the common person get it somewhere?
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8730747

Anna, you can get Dynamite at Home Depot! In fact, you should get some because your Robudora is on the way!

This message was edited Aug 1, 2011 8:08 PM
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8731147

I know, I got the FedEx info today. I'm going to Madison tomorrow, there is a HD there. I will check that out. Thanks.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8733387

When I asked for Dynamite at HD the guy looked at me like I just beamed in from Mars and tried to sell me Schultz Plant food. Arghhhhhh...Dweeb...

Found some at Jung's Garden Center...do you pretty much follow the directions on the jar, or do it different? Want to put some in my Alo's and Colo's tomorrow... Will be hard pressed to scratch it into the top inch of soil, as crammed as some of those pots are. LOL
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2011
3:50 AM

Post #8733672

If they are that crammed Anna, I would consider potting up and use the Dynamite and let them get root bound again! MHO...
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8734678

Anna, if your plant needs repotting, incorporate the Dynamite at label rate into the new soil you add to the new pot. It seems to work better when it is incorporated into the soil, and also you won't lose the fert if the plant gets accidentally tipped over (which is likely with pot-grown Big Ears)!

To give you an idea of how I push some of my plants, I use at least a whole cup per 10 gallon pot, sometimes more.

LariAnn
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8735185

Hmmmm...I didn't buy enough. LOL I put some in this morning, about the recommended rate.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9099356

im FINALLY done potting up my EE's from overwintering.. geesh!!!! LOL
i have most in 1gal pots.. about 15 in much bigger pots..
your robodoras did super lariann!!! yea.. one started a trunk last yr.. i got many
pups off both..
im going to have full gardens this yr..
one thing ive gleaned from you all..potting mix.. soil drains well..but has coir that
retains moisture so they dont dry out to fast..
weve had really WARM spring weather here..so all have gone outside to enjoy the
natural sun..and theyve shown their appreciation..:)
?? does anyone use alfalfa meal in their fertilizing??
im using it on my roses.. and thought..why not on everything..
the N level is pretty low but it has a growth hormone.. so far.. all tropicals have
shown good growth.tomatoes have too..
anxious to get everything planted out.. see how big my EE get !!! :)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 10, 2013
3:09 AM

Post #9515350

this was last years thread !!!
Looking at the pictures of your thai giant, mine is not thai giant. It has huge upright leaves shiny and almost charteuse green.I bought it 3 years ago and had since given me pups which I shared with my daughter.I am out of town right now so i can not take pictures.
I still have to pot my collection and will l post as soon as they are situated on my display area .

I am now looking for thai giant to buy and there is a nursery in Florida that has it but the picture looks different.

I am confuse and will not buy if if this is not a true Thai giant.

Desperate is the word, i want to buy one that is a true Thai Giant !!!

Belle

This message was edited May 10, 2013 8:29 AM
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 11, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9516543

Good morning,
Hello Aroid lovers!!!

Yesterday I ordered 28 varieties from Florida hilll nursery with 2 Thai Giants.!!! I have now over 70+ varieties and will probably take hours to pot them but i have help lined up!!!

My apologies to those that got a desperate d-mails to sell me some. One lady from NC responded that I have to wait till July to see if hers comes back.

Addict???? Terrible and might need counseling!!! LOL!!!!

Our vacation is coming to a close and so i go home to wait for the arrival of the order.

Been buying from Well spring and I think I have all the varieties.

Will post the collection in a 5 tiered like a stadium type construction.

Happy gardening!!!
Belle
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 7, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9590325

As promised here is my collection!!!

My garden is on beginners landscaping " BELLES HAVEN, GARDEN 2013
The first picture are the old collection and second picture are the purchase this year

Thumbnail by bellieg   Thumbnail by bellieg         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9590392

belle..those are super pics..and wonderful plants !!! :)
its addictive..isnt it.. hehehe..LOL
u gotta get some amorphophallus now.. :)
i feel im a "drug dealer" with amorphs..
"" U gotta try this"" LOL :)
not such a bad drug huh..
i plant mine direct in raised beds.. your gardens are so
nice..and orginized..mines more like jungle gone wild.. LOL
weve had some WONDERFUL rain last 2 days..heavey yesterday !!!
and wow..all the tropicals have been singin out there.. :)
keep us posted on pics how things progress...
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 7, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9590635

I bought an amorphopallus but i do not quite understand what it is yet.

Belle
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9590649

hey belle..
did the sellers say what species it is?
is it sending up a leaf (petiole) spike now?
if its a non tropical amorphophallus..they do fine
not being potted up all the time..they "overwinter" when
the corm goes dormant..just fine just sitting on a shelf in a
coolish room..
if its konjac (one of most common amorphophallus) it should
be showing signs of growth??
if it is..just pot it up in a good sized pot..good draining potting mix
and keep it in semi shade..morning sun is good..
u will find amorphophallus are facinating plants.. just like our
other aroids...:)
good luck !!!!!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 7, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9590653

I bought it on ebay and it is now about 4 inches. I was surprised that I already have one but it had not6 grown much. i think it is 3 years old. I will take a picture of the 2 plants soon.

Did you check biginners landscaping?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America