Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sherlyn
Clifton Hill, MO

July 25, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8714698

I have heard that epsom salt is good for tomatoes. How or what should I do with it? Thanks for your help!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8714760

Unless you have a soil that is low on the micronutrient magnesium, it is nothing more than a feel good exercise. It is just the chemical Magnesium sulphate. If you have acid soil, use dolometic limestone, where one of the ingredients is magnesium carbonate.
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

July 25, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8715472

Last summer, I just stuck my tomato seedlings in the ground and they did absolutely nothing. I got very few tomatoes from 27 plants. This spring, I dug each hole, sprinkled in a little epsom salts and bone meal, and I got a bumper crop! I would like to believe that the difference was what I put in the soil this time.
greenstubbs
Vacaville, CA

July 28, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8721685

I will just add this. Just do a google on "epson salt gardening" pick a few sites and just start reading, and you be the judge. I have yet to use it and I'm still doing homework on the subject, maybe next year.
Maine_Garden
Sanford, ME

August 1, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8729461

An old timer recently told me he sprinkles Epsom salt around the base of his tomatoes to help the fruit grow and ripen,.. his claim was the fruit benefits from the sulpher in the product... hard to beat an old timers advice!?!?
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 23, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9251569

I have been using Epsom salts for 2 years now and I am having good results with tomatoes . I have about 30 fruits on one plum tomato plant. I got the info on goggle. My belief is if it is good for humans its good for plants

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9251786

It helps the plant process chlorophyll, or green up in other words, you would do a world of good to just use sulphur in the area and turn in, tomatoes are heavy feeders, and last year was super weird for veggies, lime in hard ground helps the plants uptake the nutrients they need. You will find that in some areas of the country where water is real hard, a slight addition of vinegar - too much will kill plants- is used and does wonders to help the plants.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9251791

Bone meal helps BULBS. When planting bulbs bone meal is used- when you first set them out, if you have dogs you will find them digging where you have applied blood and bone meal and trying to eat the dirt,

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America