Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Cherry Tomatoes

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 11, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

rockette

rockette

(Zone 4b)

July 26, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8717103

I have an over abundance of cherry tomatoes. Can I freeze these? Roast and freeze? Thanks.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8720983

rockette,

Other than just tossing in ziplock bags, to later toss in stews, sauces etc-maybe this would interest you? I know I'm going to give it a try. It sounds yummy and oh so simple.

http://thetanglednest.com/2009/10/a-new-way-to-freeze-cherry-tomatoes-tasty-herb-roasted-bites/

Enjoy those cherry tomatoes all year! Happy gardening and preserving.

rockette

rockette

(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8721556

Thank you Sashagirl! I will try this recipe.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8721560

I throw them into the blender and pulverize them into sauce, and then season and cook down to desired thickness for tomato sauce for pasta or whatever...The blender takes care of the peelings.. Can do with them anything you can do to a bigger tomato..

Larkie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8721572

I cut them in half and dehydrate my excess. That makes a great size to add a smidgen to a dish/sauce that's not a predominate tomato dish during winter.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8721636

Darius,
How long do you dehydrate them? And how do you store them?

Deanna

rockette

rockette

(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8721651

Great recommendations--thank you! I am fairly new to gardening and thinking was limited to freezing and canning. Dehydrating - - like sun dried! I am going to try all methods. Again, THANK YOU.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8721673

Deanna, I don't know how long I dry them, truly. I just throw them in the dehydrator and check them every couple of hours. Sure doesn't take as long as full size tomatoes. I store them in mason jars.

I just dried some sliced zukes in my truck, windows closed and in the sun. It would be a cheap way to sun dry tomatoes!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8773549

Darius, drying tomatoes is my goal, I'll be starting soon. I like them chewy like raisins. Do I dry them until crispy and rehydrate a little when I want to use them, or dry just to the chewy state. I'm so glad you are around with your vast knowledge, thank you for sharing.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8773597

cathy, I think it depends on how you will store them. Chewy-dry might be okay at room temp, but you'd have to try a jar and monitor it for humidity after closing it. If moisture appears on the inside after a couple of days, they are too moist, and will spoil. However, if that's the finish texture you want, dry them to that point and freeze them.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8773765

Thanks Darius, freezing should take care of it.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8789233

I learned an important lesson today. My bottom trays were tomatoes, top two trays were peppers. The peppers were cut too small, once they dried they fell through the grids. 3 big peppers fit into a half cup once dried. Amazing. They are so expensive in the winter and I really can eat just a small amount at a time, so this will be great!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America