Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Cherry Tomatoes

(Zone 4b)

I have an over abundance of cherry tomatoes. Can I freeze these? Roast and freeze? Thanks.

Davenport, IA(Zone 5a)

rockette,

Other than just tossing in ziplock bags, to later toss in stews, sauces etc-maybe this would interest you? I know I'm going to give it a try. It sounds yummy and oh so simple.

http://thetanglednest.com/2009/10/a-new-way-to-freeze-cherry-tomatoes-tasty-herb-roasted-bites/

Enjoy those cherry tomatoes all year! Happy gardening and preserving.

(Zone 4b)

Thank you Sashagirl! I will try this recipe.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I throw them into the blender and pulverize them into sauce, and then season and cook down to desired thickness for tomato sauce for pasta or whatever...The blender takes care of the peelings.. Can do with them anything you can do to a bigger tomato..

Larkie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I cut them in half and dehydrate my excess. That makes a great size to add a smidgen to a dish/sauce that's not a predominate tomato dish during winter.

Davenport, IA(Zone 5a)

Darius,
How long do you dehydrate them? And how do you store them?

Deanna

(Zone 4b)

Great recommendations--thank you! I am fairly new to gardening and thinking was limited to freezing and canning. Dehydrating - - like sun dried! I am going to try all methods. Again, THANK YOU.

Deanna, I don't know how long I dry them, truly. I just throw them in the dehydrator and check them every couple of hours. Sure doesn't take as long as full size tomatoes. I store them in mason jars.

I just dried some sliced zukes in my truck, windows closed and in the sun. It would be a cheap way to sun dry tomatoes!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Darius, drying tomatoes is my goal, I'll be starting soon. I like them chewy like raisins. Do I dry them until crispy and rehydrate a little when I want to use them, or dry just to the chewy state. I'm so glad you are around with your vast knowledge, thank you for sharing.

cathy, I think it depends on how you will store them. Chewy-dry might be okay at room temp, but you'd have to try a jar and monitor it for humidity after closing it. If moisture appears on the inside after a couple of days, they are too moist, and will spoil. However, if that's the finish texture you want, dry them to that point and freeze them.

Thanks Darius, freezing should take care of it.

I learned an important lesson today. My bottom trays were tomatoes, top two trays were peppers. The peppers were cut too small, once they dried they fell through the grids. 3 big peppers fit into a half cup once dried. Amazing. They are so expensive in the winter and I really can eat just a small amount at a time, so this will be great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.