Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Pruning lotus leaves

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 3, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

July 27, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8718897

I'm wondering how people prune their lotus, especially the floating leaves. I've been leaving the leaves on the plant until they are completely dead. I'm wondering if I should be removing them once they start to turn yellow. I'm a real lotus newbie, so any help with them would be greatly appreciated.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8759026

I'm surprised no one answered you. I have read that you shouldn't cut the stems of lotus because it will draw water down the stem and drown the plant so I just leave mine there til dead. Don't really know for sure, but I go with the better safe than sorry way.
dahos77
Aiea, HI
(Zone 11)

August 17, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8761402

Roxxanne,

Thanks. I also read that, so I haven't been cutting anything off until they are good and dead.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

August 19, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8764579

I have cut my lotus leaves off before they are dead. I wonder if I have done some harm!
I have a bunch of yellowing leaves now so I think I will cut them off above the water line. Maybe that will keep it from getting water where it shouldn't be.
By the way, I have had my lotus plant for years and it does beautifully each year with foliage and flowers.
Good luck dahos with yours.
Helen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America