Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Daily butterfly pictures #89

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Time for a new thread

here is a monarch from a slightly different perspective

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196500/

Thumbnail by BCH521
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Ooo, I like that BCH. Thanks for starting a new thread.

Here's a Tiger Swallowtail. This guy could not get enough of the zinnias yesterday.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

A little summer azure was flitting around.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank BCH for a new thread, thanks Mrs. Ed for the link. I will return with a pair of Tigerswallowtail butterflies this afternoon.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Like that one also but the other was georgeous! Thanks for the new thread!

Nice ones Marna. I bet I am missing the wee bfs since I don't get outside much now days unless I can see something flying.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 6:58 AM

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Like that TST Mrs. ED--here's a photo about the future

Thumbnail by BCH521
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from BCH521 :
Like that TST Mrs. ED--here's a photo about the future

Awww, how I long to see those little ones on my many milkweeds in the garden. When they can fly, BCH, would you please send them my way? LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A pair of Tigerswallowtails? A male and a dark form female?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

He by himself.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

OK Lily I will start chanting Alabama to the cats-LOL

In the meantime here is a TST female

Thumbnail by BCH521

Wow that's a lot of Monarchs!!

Hackberry emperor on the rotting oranges.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks BCH, now if we have many chanting along, maybe it will be more effective? lol. Marna, can't recall if I've ever seen a Hackberry Emperor before. That just reminds me to set out some left over fruits to attract more butterflies.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Gray Hairstreak;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Looking down the walkway, one will see a whole lot of frass going on. lol Looking up the Catalpa tree this is what one gets! ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Wow..... that's amazing! Send some up our way

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's the Catalpa cats. second brood, in the early spring when the tree was making flowers we had one brood then. Crit, I'll have to chanting Oklahoma likes BCH does (for Alabama) when these guys eclose. lol I hope that they will escape predators for I've all kind of flowers that dependent upon them to be pollinated, such as this one. :)) A plumeria.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

A tuberosa gay butterflies Mrs. ed this is as red as I've ever seen them--they just get a tint to them--hopefully you can see this in this photo.

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

my favorite nectar plant is finally blooming--hopefully some BF's will notice this--I have seen hummers on them though

Thumbnail by BCH521
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, BCH both butterflies and hummingbirds love love these flowers. I just discovered them (flowers) this year, and I'm saving seeds.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Lily--I started playing "Sweet Home Alabama" and they started moving to the music

Thumbnail by BCH521
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh my goodness, I need to turn the boom box on when I gardening outside so they can make the connection then. Thank you, BCH. ^_^

Holy smokes. Are those ALL from your yard? Or do you go collect them elsewhere?

Yah, that's what my orange Gay Butterflies looks like. FYI, here's a picture that promotes the three colors.
http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/assets/butterfly_weed_gay_butterflies_4x3.jpg

I think my Tithonia torch was mis-packaged. It is short and compact this year, only about 4' instead of the usual 7 ish. It too, has just started blooming.

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

From our yard, and from the soybean field down the road--I just purchased 200 tags from monarchwatch, so weve been getting busy--although these will eclose too soon to be tagged.

I have never had gay butterflies look like that picture--not even close

Great Spangled Fritillary--1st one I've seen in weeks--we have planted over 300 nectar plants, and this fritillary was fighting over 1 bloom w/ a TST--maybe that's why we have a shortage

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Mrs Ed there is a short variety of Tithonia that I like to grow--2-3ft. Maybe they got cross polinated. i saved some seed from the short variety and got some 4-5" plants, as I also grow the standard.

see photo below of miniature

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

whoops, thought I had flipped that photo

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those flowers sure are butterflies and hummingbirds attractants!

Hah, today must be the day these (perhaps) 5th instar of the Catalpa cats. to venture out to the ground and looking for place to pupate? They're all over the ground and on the grass.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

TST on BB

Thumbnail by BCH521

Wow, that is an adorable Tithonia. I grew a short one that was yellow. Can't remember the name. I like the tall ones because I plant them on the outside of the yard's fence. I can see them from the house.

I had a good day of monitoring today. Well, somewhat good. Lots of buckeyes and wood nymphs. Few other things. I"ll have to upload tomorrow though.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Marna, I'm looking forward to your monitoring day's pics. BCH, pretty 'girl' TST on the butterfly-bush. :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You got it down Lily!

Well if I wasn't so lazy I would look at my pics of a Gulf Frit I spotted today. I just remembered right before we took off on errands I saw one and snapped a couple shots. BFs are few and far between here. Just heard tonight we are in for about 10 more days of 106-110 temps. Lord I am so over this enough is enough! Today makes 29 days straight 100 or higher days.

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Banner day for butterflies saw 4 monarchs at once outside--I think that's the most for the year.

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Silver Spotted Skipper

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

TST

Thumbnail by BCH521

Congrats BCH!

Well here are a few from yesterday. The big action was at the puddle. The first time I ever monitored, this puddle was full and there were tons of butterflies there. So I included it in the route! This is the first time this year it has been wet there.

Two Buckeyes and a Pearl Crescent

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Red spotted purple. they always love to puddle.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And look at how pretty they are on the underside.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

An unknown skipper. I'll have to go through my book later.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

second viceroy for me ever.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

that's all for now. i'll have a few more later.

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

Nice Viceroy, I thought I saw one today, but couldn't get close enough for an ID--or a picture

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.