Seed harvest...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am one of those plant growers that cannot bear to throw out cuttings, plants, seeds.

Last weekend I spent an hour untangling and watering the Hoya family and never noticed a seed pod on the Hoya obovata.

Yesterday morning, I was shocked to see a pod had begun to open.

I know nothing about starting Hoya from seed or even if there is a way to tell if the seed is fertile.

But... I hate to throw it out and certainly don't need more plants so I will offer some of these seed to anyone interested in trying to germinate them.

The H. obovata is a large round leaved Hoya that has large sturdy stems and is a generous bloomer.

If you are interested in seed, please dmail me and I'll gladly share some.

Thumbnail by podster
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

podster, I've sent you a dmail. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks for all that have sent dmails.
I should have more if there are any more takers.
I won't mail seeds till next week...

Hoping all will share their experiences germinating these seed. pod

I finally got the seeds in the mail today. I hope everyone has good success with them.

I will find it interesting if y'all will keep us posted on the germination and growth.

I actually have enough seed left for one more person. If anyone else is interested, please dmail me. pod

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

My seeds came yesterday, They have been sowed and I'll keep a record and take pictures as soon as I see little green seedlings showing up. This is the first time for hoya seeds for me. Does anyone know how long they take to germinate?

No experience here... hoping to learn from y'all. lol Good luck and thanks for letting me know they arrived.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you still have seeds?

Hi Lisa ~ I have one batch left and have your name on them. Guessing you haven't moved? lol I didn't know you liked these guys too?

Hmmm. You will definitely need a larger house.

My house is big. Lol hoyas go in the master bath. Succulents on the dining room table. Some of my succulents are even blooming even tho they never made it outside this year. Cool weather starts are in the master bath and master bedroom.

Move? No if anything I would live here and CA at least until my kids are out of school. After this summer heat I'm not so sure tho.

No way I could go from living in the country to the burbs.
THANKS

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

It's been three days since the seeds were sowed. So far I don't see any green. :( :(
I'll keep watching. Any one else plant some of the seeds?

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I got mine too-- will sow under lights tomorrow!! Thanks!!

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

I planted mine in two different methods, both sprouted in in 24 hours.

The first method was to plant on the surface of moistened, sterile African violet mix. The second was to place the seeds between two wet paper towels. So far both have worked. I'll be replanting the germinated seedlings off of the paper towel today.

Yippee ~ glad to know they did germinate, much less germinate quickly!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

It's been nine days and still no germination. I sowed them in two different pots in my hoya mix. (AV mix, orchid bark, perlite) They are both covered. I've been checking every day, but so far, nothing. I'm so disappointed. I thought I was going to have some obovata babies. I just got pachyclada seeds in the mail today. I hope these do something. I sowed some in vermiculite and four seeds went into peat pods. Will keep you posted.

noonamah, Australia

Last year I sowed some Hoya seed in a very sandy mix, probably 90% sand. There was some damping off but a lot came through.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is a photo from a few days ago. They are larger now and have tossed off the brown seed coat.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I just went to check my seed containers again. It seems like I check them 10 times a day. And. WOO HOO!!!
I think i see a little seedling popping up.. Just one. But I'll be satisfied with just one. I'll keep watch and maybe the other seeds will get jealous of the attention and sprout. Here's a picture. I'm so excited. Can't wait to watch it grow.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/imahoyaholic/Hoya/SAM_0467.jpg

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Here's my babies....I'm so excited !!!

Thumbnail by mjsponies

I love the photos that y'all have posted.

Tell me how all the hoya-ettes are doing?

Did anyone not have success with germination?

Does anybody need a few more seed?

I found one more seed pod, freshly split.

Please dmail if you'd like some seeds...

I've got 4 little plants potted up into Thumb Pots. They are sooooo cute !! If you don't get any takers, I'd love to try some more.
I'm curious, as I've never grown hoya's from seed before if there will be any variation. Was momma solid or speckled obovata?.
I'll try to remember to take some more "baby pictures "

I guess only four plants means that wasn't 100% germination? This large leafed Hoya has faintly speckled leaves.

I know I don't need to sell anyone here but this is the sturdiest Hoya I have fooled with.
It grows fast, vines freely, blooms willingly and becomes quite large quickly.

Well 5 germinated but one died off, but the other 4 are hold on so far. Since this is the first time growing them from seed, I don't really have anything to go on as far as what would be considered a good rate. I don't know exactly how many seeds there were to start with, I took them fuzz and all and pressed into the moss. Figured I didn't want to loose any trying to clean the fuzz off !! LOL...

I don't know how many seeds I sent either.

Did you just lay them on top of the sphagnum moss or cover them?
And I'm guessing kept them moist and covered with a saran wrap?

Do you still have them in moss or in soil now?

I just laid them on the sphagnum moss and pressed them down. No cover, as it was so hot here I was afraid they'd fry. Watered from the bottom, They are in a mix of Jungle Growth Pro-mix ground fine w/ fine perlite and fine ground sphagnum moss mixed in. Keeps the little pots from drying out too fast but super good drainage. They are in the greenhouse in a medium light corner and look good. I'll try to get some pics today....I just keep forgetting..........

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

podster, I've sent you an email. I have only one seedling that germinated from the last pod. It's not growing fast enough for me. I want to try again. I'm not sure why it's not growing. Could it be the season? I knows it's harder to root cuttings in the fall. Maybe seeds take longer to grow too.

August 19th is when the seedlings came up, see pic here http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/08/19/mjsponies/3f5305_tn.jpg

Here they are today

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh my goodness. They are growing so nicely. My little one is still just a little green dot on the top of the soil. I'll have to take a picture of it tomorrow. None of the other seeds ever germinated.

My cuttings have new growth.

Pod, I think you should sow some of these yourself. You never know it might have crossed with another hoya if you have other's near by. Could have a new cross !! That's one reason I like to grow from seed. Well, for some things, other things that take 3-5 years to bloom from seed no...I'm not THAT patient.

Mjsponies ~ nor am I very patient ~ lol I am really trying hard to reduce the amount of plants to overwinter in the GH and starting more plants would not be the solution for me.

Iamdigger ~ it might be that your little plant is developing roots rather than putting its' energy into top growth. No way to know till you pot up or see roots thru the drainage ports. But yes, I'll gladly share more seed.

I don't mind sharing more seeds at all. Just hoping I don't wash the container they are in like I did with the end of the last batch. I could not find the container with the seeds and finally guessed I washed it seeds and all. May find Hoya volunteers on the greywater drain field. Anyway, feeling stupid and guilty is how 1lisac ended up with cuttings of this guy. (feeling sheepish here)

Anybody add hydrogen peroxide to the water when they water these babes? Everyone water from below?

No hydrogen peroxide here...bottom water and/or fine mist.

Jeez Pod, never admit. Lol it actually the other one showing new growth not the hoya

The little Hoya is showing new growth also and the larger on looks very healthy so I expect new growth anytime.

Clifton, TX(Zone 8a)

If anyone else has seeds I would love to have some. I have 1 Hoya that I got from my mother but have no idea what kind and it has never bloomed for me. would love to try my luck with a new plant.

Quote from oldmansdarlin :
If anyone else has seeds I would love to have some. I have 1 Hoya that I got from my mother but have no idea what kind and it has never bloomed for me. would love to try my luck with a new plant.

If you would be interested in the Hoya obovata, I still have a few seeds left from the last harvest. Please click on my name and dmail me with your address if you would like these.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Podster I got my seeds today and planted them. Thank you!

Good ~ glad to know they arrived and I will wish you luck. This is an easy Hoya to grow!

Mexico City, Mexico

Hi
Any idea of how the hoya flowers are polinated ?
I have 4 diferent and other than cuttings I have never seen
How they could seed
Pd if you have some seeds again pls let me know
I would love to have some
Tks from mexico

Hi ~ I would love to have shared but am out of seed. I have been told that Hoya seed stays viable for only a short time anyway and probably would not be good any longer ~ I am sorry.

I will gladly keep you in mind if I should receive more Hoya seeds but it won't be till later next summer. All the Hoyas are now tucked into the greenhouse for the winter.

I am assuming that the various bees and other insects are the pollinators for the Hoya blooms. Odd but I never notice the seed pods till they begin to open up. I also think some types of Hoya are more receptive to producing seed but may be wrong about that. The seed is loose and fluffy which looks similar to milkweed seed if you have seen that.

What types of Hoya are your four?

Pod...Last batch I didn't germinate...weird, cause they were just as fresh...and I did them the same way. I'll try to post pics of the first batch of babies soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.