-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8722502

I am one of those plant growers that cannot bear to throw out cuttings, plants, seeds.

Last weekend I spent an hour untangling and watering the Hoya family and never noticed a seed pod on the Hoya obovata.

Yesterday morning, I was shocked to see a pod had begun to open.

I know nothing about starting Hoya from seed or even if there is a way to tell if the seed is fertile.

But... I hate to throw it out and certainly don't need more plants so I will offer some of these seed to anyone interested in trying to germinate them.

The H. obovata is a large round leaved Hoya that has large sturdy stems and is a generous bloomer.

If you are interested in seed, please dmail me and I'll gladly share some.

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8722661

podster, I've sent you a dmail. Thanks for the offer.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8724057

Thanks for all that have sent dmails.
I should have more if there are any more takers.
I won't mail seeds till next week...

Hoping all will share their experiences germinating these seed. pod
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8737674

I finally got the seeds in the mail today. I hope everyone has good success with them.

I will find it interesting if y'all will keep us posted on the germination and growth.

I actually have enough seed left for one more person. If anyone else is interested, please dmail me. pod
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8746071

My seeds came yesterday, They have been sowed and I'll keep a record and take pictures as soon as I see little green seedlings showing up. This is the first time for hoya seeds for me. Does anyone know how long they take to germinate?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8746079

No experience here... hoping to learn from y'all. lol Good luck and thanks for letting me know they arrived.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8747823

Do you still have seeds?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8747827

Hi Lisa ~ I have one batch left and have your name on them. Guessing you haven't moved? lol I didn't know you liked these guys too?

Hmmm. You will definitely need a larger house.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8749524

My house is big. Lol hoyas go in the master bath. Succulents on the dining room table. Some of my succulents are even blooming even tho they never made it outside this year. Cool weather starts are in the master bath and master bedroom.

Move? No if anything I would live here and CA at least until my kids are out of school. After this summer heat I'm not so sure tho.

No way I could go from living in the country to the burbs.
THANKS
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8752490

It's been three days since the seeds were sowed. So far I don't see any green. :( :(
I'll keep watching. Any one else plant some of the seeds?
Hillbilly_Gran
Jasper, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8752548

I got mine too-- will sow under lights tomorrow!! Thanks!!
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8753563

I planted mine in two different methods, both sprouted in in 24 hours.

The first method was to plant on the surface of moistened, sterile African violet mix. The second was to place the seeds between two wet paper towels. So far both have worked. I'll be replanting the germinated seedlings off of the paper towel today.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8754578

Yippee ~ glad to know they did germinate, much less germinate quickly!
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8763411

It's been nine days and still no germination. I sowed them in two different pots in my hoya mix. (AV mix, orchid bark, perlite) They are both covered. I've been checking every day, but so far, nothing. I'm so disappointed. I thought I was going to have some obovata babies. I just got pachyclada seeds in the mail today. I hope these do something. I sowed some in vermiculite and four seeds went into peat pods. Will keep you posted.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 18, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8763632

Last year I sowed some Hoya seed in a very sandy mix, probably 90% sand. There was some damping off but a lot came through.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8764016

Here is a photo from a few days ago. They are larger now and have tossed off the brown seed coat.

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8764981

I just went to check my seed containers again. It seems like I check them 10 times a day. And. WOO HOO!!!
I think i see a little seedling popping up.. Just one. But I'll be satisfied with just one. I'll keep watch and maybe the other seeds will get jealous of the attention and sprout. Here's a picture. I'm so excited. Can't wait to watch it grow.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/imahoyaholic/Hoya/SAM_0467.jpg

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8765036

Here's my babies...I'm so excited !!!

Thumbnail by mjsponies

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8810317

I love the photos that y'all have posted.

Tell me how all the hoya-ettes are doing?

Did anyone not have success with germination?

Does anybody need a few more seed?

I found one more seed pod, freshly split.

Please dmail if you'd like some seeds...

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2011
11:39 PM

Post #8810548

I've got 4 little plants potted up into Thumb Pots. They are sooooo cute !! If you don't get any takers, I'd love to try some more.
I'm curious, as I've never grown hoya's from seed before if there will be any variation. Was momma solid or speckled obovata?.
I'll try to remember to take some more "baby pictures "
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8810634

I guess only four plants means that wasn't 100% germination? This large leafed Hoya has faintly speckled leaves.

I know I don't need to sell anyone here but this is the sturdiest Hoya I have fooled with.
It grows fast, vines freely, blooms willingly and becomes quite large quickly.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8810642

Well 5 germinated but one died off, but the other 4 are hold on so far. Since this is the first time growing them from seed, I don't really have anything to go on as far as what would be considered a good rate. I don't know exactly how many seeds there were to start with, I took them fuzz and all and pressed into the moss. Figured I didn't want to loose any trying to clean the fuzz off !! LOL...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8810661

I don't know how many seeds I sent either.

Did you just lay them on top of the sphagnum moss or cover them?
And I'm guessing kept them moist and covered with a saran wrap?

Do you still have them in moss or in soil now?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8810775

I just laid them on the sphagnum moss and pressed them down. No cover, as it was so hot here I was afraid they'd fry. Watered from the bottom, They are in a mix of Jungle Growth Pro-mix ground fine w/ fine perlite and fine ground sphagnum moss mixed in. Keeps the little pots from drying out too fast but super good drainage. They are in the greenhouse in a medium light corner and look good. I'll try to get some pics today...I just keep forgetting...
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8810817

podster, I've sent you an email. I have only one seedling that germinated from the last pod. It's not growing fast enough for me. I want to try again. I'm not sure why it's not growing. Could it be the season? I knows it's harder to root cuttings in the fall. Maybe seeds take longer to grow too.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8811038

August 19th is when the seedlings came up, see pic here http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/08/19/mjsponies/3f5305_tn.jpg

Here they are today

Thumbnail by mjsponies

imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8811386

Oh my goodness. They are growing so nicely. My little one is still just a little green dot on the top of the soil. I'll have to take a picture of it tomorrow. None of the other seeds ever germinated.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8811416

My cuttings have new growth.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8811445

Pod, I think you should sow some of these yourself. You never know it might have crossed with another hoya if you have other's near by. Could have a new cross !! That's one reason I like to grow from seed. Well, for some things, other things that take 3-5 years to bloom from seed no...I'm not THAT patient.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8811523

Mjsponies ~ nor am I very patient ~ lol I am really trying hard to reduce the amount of plants to overwinter in the GH and starting more plants would not be the solution for me.

Iamdigger ~ it might be that your little plant is developing roots rather than putting its' energy into top growth. No way to know till you pot up or see roots thru the drainage ports. But yes, I'll gladly share more seed.

I don't mind sharing more seeds at all. Just hoping I don't wash the container they are in like I did with the end of the last batch. I could not find the container with the seeds and finally guessed I washed it seeds and all. May find Hoya volunteers on the greywater drain field. Anyway, feeling stupid and guilty is how 1lisac ended up with cuttings of this guy. (feeling sheepish here)

Anybody add hydrogen peroxide to the water when they water these babes? Everyone water from below?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8811556

No hydrogen peroxide here...bottom water and/or fine mist.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8811725

Jeez Pod, never admit. Lol it actually the other one showing new growth not the hoya
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8812318

The little Hoya is showing new growth also and the larger on looks very healthy so I expect new growth anytime.
oldmansdarlin
Clifton, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8836101

If anyone else has seeds I would love to have some. I have 1 Hoya that I got from my mother but have no idea what kind and it has never bloomed for me. would love to try my luck with a new plant.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8836275

oldmansdarlin wrote:If anyone else has seeds I would love to have some. I have 1 Hoya that I got from my mother but have no idea what kind and it has never bloomed for me. would love to try my luck with a new plant.

If you would be interested in the Hoya obovata, I still have a few seeds left from the last harvest. Please click on my name and dmail me with your address if you would like these.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8836294

Podster I got my seeds today and planted them. Thank you!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8836306

Good ~ glad to know they arrived and I will wish you luck. This is an easy Hoya to grow!
MigthyMouse
Mexico City
Mexico

November 3, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8875733

Hi
Any idea of how the hoya flowers are polinated ?
I have 4 diferent and other than cuttings I have never seen
How they could seed
Pd if you have some seeds again pls let me know
I would love to have some
Tks from mexico
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8875854

Hi ~ I would love to have shared but am out of seed. I have been told that Hoya seed stays viable for only a short time anyway and probably would not be good any longer ~ I am sorry.

I will gladly keep you in mind if I should receive more Hoya seeds but it won't be till later next summer. All the Hoyas are now tucked into the greenhouse for the winter.

I am assuming that the various bees and other insects are the pollinators for the Hoya blooms. Odd but I never notice the seed pods till they begin to open up. I also think some types of Hoya are more receptive to producing seed but may be wrong about that. The seed is loose and fluffy which looks similar to milkweed seed if you have seen that.

What types of Hoya are your four?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8875969

Pod...Last batch I didn't germinate...weird, cause they were just as fresh...and I did them the same way. I'll try to post pics of the first batch of babies soon.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8876172

My last batch germinate but they whole clan were taken out by two fighting cats lol
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8876789

Who was it that told me Hoya seed were only viable for a short time?
Is it possible this seed didn't pollinate?
Would it have still produced seed pods without pollination?

My others rarely deliver seed...

Cats are all right ~ I can forgive them. LOL

Mine are too fat and lazy to fight...

Thumbnail by podster

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8876832

I don't think it would have created seed without pollination, although I'm not positive.

Aww!! Is that a brown tabby? Keoni (the boy) is a brown tabby. Mine only seem to really brawl in the fall, not sure why, and unfortunately Keoni gets to be a bit of a bully.

Thumbnail by tikipod

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8876890

Cute ~ how old is he? And is he neutered?

Bump and Chirp are both girlies that were tiny and found abandoned in town behind a restaurant.
We are pushovers so trapped and spayed and are providing safe harbor for them.
They are now 2 1/2 years old and are fun. They have fit in well.

The count is five cats at home and one at work.
When we acquire another we usually say, we don't have one that color.
But these two were a color we had never had in over 40 years.
A brown tabby sounds nice. Thanks...

But you know, we needed them as much as they needed us.
It is hard to catch them still and posing.

Thumbnail by podster

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8877097

Keoni will be 3 in December. The Princess Delilah will be 3 in March. Both are fixed :-)

The count here is two felines and one species confused canine - he thinks he's a cat.
The girl below.

Thumbnail by tikipod

imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8909451

Well, with the fall upon us, I was busy concentrating on my african violets. The container with my little obovata seedling was pushed to back of shelf. I went to check it this morning and WOW!!!. It has grown a little bit. And GUESS WHAT? I see another little bit of green popping up toward the edge of container. It looks like another seed has finally germinated.
SO, if anyone still has those containers with seeds just sitting there, go check them. You may have seedlings. I never thought it would take this long for them to germinate. Now I'll be paying more attention them them.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8909496

I need to take a new pic of mine...I've got several going on their second/third set of leaves. And of course...one just sitting there...LOL
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8909544

All right!! I'm a granny again! That is what I wanted to hear! LOL
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8910058

Congratulations, Granny. Boy or girl? Let's see pictures soon.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8910079

Imadigger ~ I meant the Hoya babies. LOL

Think I'd like to stop at 7 grandchildren and 1 greatgrand for now.
I'm really not that old. 8 )
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8911332

OOOOPPPPSSSS.!!! Sorry. I didn't catch that one. I have nine grandchildren, 1 angel granddaughter in heaven, and a great-granddaughter due in Feb. My hubby and I are so excited.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9231256

Well... here I am again. I am curious to hear if anyone had any success with germination and plant growth on the Hoya seeds from last summer?

The reason I'm asking... once again I found two seed pods when watering. I don't know which Hoyas these came from but they are two different ones and neither is the obovata. Is it worth offering them up to share again? Kristi

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9231363

Kristi,
I need to take pictures but yes !! I have two nice little pots from the seeds you sent. So they coming up on a year old.
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9231406

Mine are doing great, they got repotted last week in fact. I'd love to try out your new seeds if you feel like sharing.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9231511

Podster, if you decide to share again and have any left over after you share with others I would love to try again. The cats took out my last ones I tried.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9231676

Good going! That is three of you and I have enough for all. I should still have y'alls mailing addresses in my dmail. Unless you moved of course?

These ones will be pot luck. The only thing I can guarantee is they are Hoyas. 8 )
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9231804

Here's a photo of the seedling, the one in the back, and right are your H. obovata x ? seedlings the little ones on the left are H. pubicalyx x ? seedlings. I had some H. pachyclada seedlings but they didn't make it =(

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii   Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9239201

Thank you podster :) They arrived and have been planted. I'm already seeing a disturbance in the soil, like some germination below is going on.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9239402

Good ! I remember someone researching and saying the seeds had a short viability so I'm glad I could share them quickly. Wishing everyone good luck. If more seeds pop up here, I'll see if there are any other takers. Kristi
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9239408

Good evening Podster, I was checking this thread from the very beginning when you had your seed pods last year. I would be interested in a few seeds if you have any left to share. Thanks.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9239516

Hi Torriesmom ~ I don't currently have any seeds. I divided up the last two pods and sent them out already.

But I have had good luck with my Hoyas seeding and will gladly contact you when/if I harvest another seed pod.

Be glad to share... Kristi
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9239527

Thank you.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9268047

Has anyone's seeds come up yet ? Haven't seen a peep yet from mine...Pooh...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9268387

Thanks for asking Mjsponies. I hadn't heard anyone say either. This last batch was fresh, fresh, fresh. I wonder what the germination secret will be.

I am watching two seed pods on one Hoya right now. I have been hunting milkweed bugs on the Hoyas when I first discovered them. They are a pretty purple color and it startled me when I saw them.

Torriesmom ~ you will be on the top of the list if I can catch them before the breeze does. lol Kristi

I
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9268603

That sounds wonderful.
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9269727

Sadly mine didn't germinate. I didn't do anything different than I normally do.
Bummer! Good luck with your new pods, Podster. I hope you catch them before the wind does.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9269739

No hoya seedlings but the pea seeds I discovered my son planted germinated well.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America