Photo by Melody

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: Pineapple tree???

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 7, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 29, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8722585

That terminology doesn't fit my concept of pineapple growth. I can't bear to read through all this to find out if there was any sharing of that question.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8723447

I understand your concern. At the time I wrote the article, the authors for Dave's Garden were encoraged to use key words that often appear in Google searches and other search engines. Oddly, "Pineapple Tree" was a frequently searched term. I agree that there is no connection between a pineapple plant and any sort of tree and don't know why anyone would search for that connection, but I used the term to possibly increase the search engine hits on the article. (It seems to have worked since the article is now over 44,000 views! LOL).

Thanks for your question.

Jeremy
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 29, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8723891

Thank YOU for your response, as well as all the wonderful information. I just may have to buy a pineapple that has all its parts and see what happens next. WA isn't exactly pineapple country!!!!!!!!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8725627

A pineapple crown should do well in a pot of sandy soil on a sunny windowsill in your area. You can move it outside for the summer months. Actually, if you are close to the WA coast, you probably have a similar climate to mine (8b winters/9a summers). My pineapple plants have done well outside in the garden all year except for the last two unusually cold winters with sustained temperatures of 20s F for a week or more.

If you happen to have a farmer's market near you or produce stand, they sometimes have fresh pineapple peelers/corers and toss away the leafy crowns. I haven't yet located such an establishment in my locale, but I've heard they do exist! Lots of free pineapple plants!!

Enjoy!

Jeremy
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 30, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8725895

Oh, THAT would be fun and you have to know that I will be hunting!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
amygirl
Miami, FL

August 1, 2011
2:43 AM

Post #8728970

Jeremy, check with the produce department in Publix. I bet they might have some pineapple tops.
44mag
Pickens, SC

August 2, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8733187

Jeremy , Just received my first letter from Dave , the info you are sending out on growing pineapples is very correct , I lived in Cocoa Beach and Melbourne , Fl. for many years and grew many a good pineapple, just have patience, it takes a while before the fruit grows but when you take your first bite , you will say , It;s better tasting then the one you got from the store...
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8778418

Thanks, 44mag! I am slowly replenishing my pineapple plantation, 1 crown at a time, when I find pineapple fruit on sale (I'm too frugal to pay more than about $2 for a pineapple fruit LOL). Most of my previous pineapple plants succumbed to the last two winters with very unusual 20s F temperatures for sustained periods of about 2 weeks. I do have one red-leaved pineapple plant (different from red pineapple) that seems to be far more winter hardy.

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America